closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice from Brompton owners

Advice from Brompton owners

After being made redundant at the end of October, I'm delighted to have landed a great new job with brilliant prospects.
    My old job was a 25 minute drive but the new job is in London, requiring commuting by train. I'm a keen cyclist and reckon a Brompton will work well for me as I live 4 miles from the train station then its about 3 miles from Waterloo to the new office in Finsbury Square. 14 miles a day of cycling isn't much but enough to keep me ticking over between longer weekend rides and a good distance for a Brompton. I plan to buy a 1st class season ticket so should have space for it on the train (Salisbury line which doesn't suffer too badly with overcrowding).
    The ride to the station is hilly including a couple of steep inclines so I will need decent gearing. I will need to take a laptop and a few bits and pieces so a briefcase size bag or luggage solution is needed. I normally ride a road bike and weigh 72kgs so not sure if I should get standard or harder suspension. Bit of a minefield so I was wondering if any Brompton owners on here can offer advice on best model and configuration?

Don't know much about bikes, but congrats on landing a new job, and one that excites you.

I had one and recently sold it (too far to commute by bike now). I had an M3L (3-speed), it was great and I'd probably buy another if I had that sort of commute again.

I was 100kg and went for the firm suspension which was fine, I think it'd be too hard at your weight. Can you try different models in a dealer?

I started off cycling with a rucksack but eventually switched to a Brompton (S) bag which mounts on the front, their luggage is expensive but absolutely worth it IMO. You can carry more without really feeling it, and you don't have a rucksack making your back sweaty.

I didn't buy the Brompton lights, I bought some USB rechargeable LED lights from Amazon which were small and worked fine.

Do you need to take it on the London Underground? I'm told that you can't take a Brompton on there unless its in a bag, to protect other commuters legs from oil/dirt. I never had to take mine on there but it's worth considering. Brompton make a lightweight bag that fits under the seat which unfurls to cover it completely - or people apparently use those big IKEA shopping bags at a fraction of the cost.

Only other advice I can tell you is the wheels are tiny, this takes some getting used to, they can get stuck in holes/drains/cracks easily, and if you try riding on gravel/dirt they can just dig in. Also the back wheel is very hard to remove yourself if you get a puncture, as you have to adjust the gears to get it off/on. The bikes are sold with kevlar belted tyres and apparently people also use tyre sealant slime in the tubes - changing the tubes is not an easy thing to do (I never needed to in the year I owned mine).

Oh just one thing, do you actually need it to be a folder/Brompton? I bought mine for the Swindon-Bristol route then found it had a proper bike storage area in one carriage which always had space. So I could have bought a road/mountain bike which would have saved me money and made the cycling bits easier/faster.

Grand Master
    I have one and do much what you intend doing and its fine, I have the 6 Speed but its a luxury really if you're fit I think a 3 speed would do just means a better workout on the inclines

A decent Brompton front bag and a stowaway cover under the seat and you're laughing. It fits just behind the seat gap on most trains and the routine and ritual of folding and carrying soon becomes second nature. My two top tips are a Leather Brooks Saddle and a Leather Handle to carry, the rest is just get on and ride
    RIAC

Thanks guys. No it won't have to go on the underground at all (that's partly the point of buying one as I hate the tube and I'm quite claustrophobic - I fainted on the tube once!).
    I wouldn't be able to use a regular bike, South West trains don't provide much bike space and these trains are packed once they get to Basingstoke.
    I'm very fit so sounds like 3 gears would do although one of the hills is a spiky little number with a 10% gradient so 6 gears would be more friendly. Good tips about the brooks and front bag.
    Thanks a lot.

I used a Brompton whilst working in and around London a while back.

I worked out of a base in Ealing and needed to regularly travel between multiple other offices on a daily basis.

A T3 proved perfectly adequate for this - it did have the reduced gearing though. I would recommend going with the puncture resistant tyres (I believe they are Kevlar belted) as changing a rear wheel puncture is a fiddly, dirty job. Brompton luggage is superb and well worth the money. I bought a hi-viz waterproof cover for the front pannier. As regards lighting the T3's dynamo system was fine for me though I backed it up with some small LED's. I believe that current systems may include a 'standing light' system that keeps the lights on when stationary - not sure.

Pleased to hear that you wont be taking it on the tube. I tried this a few times and didnt enjoy the experience at all. Fitting and removing the Brompton bike cover was irritating (but essential) and lugging the thing through dense crowds of impatient commuters was hardly a stress free activity. Pannier loaded with gear over one shoulder and manoeuvring or carrying the folded bike left me sweaty and exhausted.

Far more pleasant to cycle.
    Last edited by Velorum; 27th November 2016 at 11:22.

Master
    I've never had one I've got a dahon for some short folding action but if I was to go Brompton I'd look at the mods that Ben Cooper does, alfine hubs and disk brakes would make the list.

http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/fol...ikes/brompton/

Some great looking mods there.

The disc brake conversions in particular look like an excellent upgrade. With my first T5 in the mid 90's, which I covered at least 50 miles a day on in all weathers, I wore out rims at an alarming rate.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've owned a Brompton for many years. I never use it now but it's perfect for taking on a train because it fits between the seats. I'd advise the lowest gears & as many of them as you can get. I'm pretty handy on a bike & it's still hard work up the hills. Also I'd recommend the stiffer suspension if you've got hills to climb. Otherwise it feels like you're riding a jelly & it wastes energy. A folding left pedal stops it taking the skin off your shins when you're carrying it. Mind you, if I was riding it every day I'd be using clipless pedals & cycling shoes with recessed cleats. You could always keep a normal pair of shoes at work.

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    After being made redundant at the end of October, I'm delighted to have landed a great new job with brilliant prospects.
    My old job was a 25 minute drive but the new job is in London, requiring commuting by train. I'm a keen cyclist and reckon a Brompton will work well for me as I live 4 miles from the train station then its about 3 miles from Waterloo to the new office in Finsbury Square. 14 miles a day of cycling isn't much but enough to keep me ticking over between longer weekend rides and a good distance for a Brompton. I plan to buy a 1st class season ticket so should have space for it on the train (Salisbury line which doesn't suffer too badly with overcrowding).
    The ride to the station is hilly including a couple of steep inclines so I will need decent gearing. I will need to take a laptop and a few bits and pieces so a briefcase size bag or luggage solution is needed. I normally ride a road bike and weigh 72kgs so not sure if I should get standard or harder suspension. Bit of a minefield so I was wondering if any Brompton owners on here can offer advice on best model and configuration?
    Top news on the job! I've no experience of comuting with with a Brommie, but take mine on business trips and holidays regularly.
    I'm a similar weight and the standard suspension is fine.
    Get mudguards and don't bother with the rear rack, the front bag is brill and you should be able to get a breifcase size one. Watch the prices though, some are obscenely expensive.
    Kong (USB) rechargeable slights are great, but so are hub dynamo's I run one on my tourer), but weight and being seen/seeing by will be your guide for those. If you go the recharble route have a back up though.
    Handlebars are a preference, I have the M type. Sometimes I hanker after the P type (when I'm doing 30k+) other times I like the lines of the S. Get a ride on one if you can. However, if you are carrying this a lot, go for the lightest that will allow the bag you need.
    Get Schwable Marathon tyres and that will reduce the puncture risk. But learn how to get the rear wheel off.
    I have a 2spd with the biggest gear reduction which equates to a 63/42inch gears (roughly). The big gear is great for rolling along at about 20kph, the lower gear allows you to grind into a head wind or up a moderate hill. The three speed adds weight and complication to removing the rear wheel. But sturmy's are bombproof.
    I have ridden off road (gravel and cinder trails) and they handled surprisingly well, by the front will dig in on soft stuff, but the low c-of-g (and tubes) means you can step off easily.
    I'm planing a rail and bike tour next year, either the Rhine or the Loire for about a week. They are a great ride and people love watching you fold them. Get one 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair72 View Post
    Get Schwable Marathon tyres and that will reduce the puncture risk. But learn how to get the rear wheel off.
    Those are the ones I was trying to think of! Heavier than the kevlar belted Brompton branded ones but very tough.

Before I fitted mine I went through a spate of punctures, especially in the winter. Always the back wheel. I soon got used to detaching the SA hub but the chain tensioner was a real pain - very fiddly especially when your hands are cold, wet and stiff.

Also - removing and fitting 16" tyres is far more more difficult than 700c/27" ones. Really tough to get the last bit over the rim sometimes.

Congrats on the job - I regularly commute in London on my Brompton and can recommend the Carradice Brompton bag - it fits straight on the Brompton bag block at the front

I have this one http://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/comm...-city-folder-m in green which inbought from eBay as a second (nothing wrong with it at all except some non-parallel stitching on one seam). Paid about £40.

I also wouldn't bother with the rear rack - it's very restrictive

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Those are the ones I was trying to think of! Heavier than the kevlar belted Brompton branded ones but very tough.

Before I fitted mine I went through a spate of punctures, especially in the winter. Always the back wheel. I soon got used to detaching the SA hub but the chain tensioner was a real pain - very fiddly especially when your hands are cold, wet and stiff.

Also - removing and fitting 16" tyres is far more more difficult than 700c/27" ones. Really tough to get the last bit over the rim sometimes.

I always carry a couple of pairs of disposable gloves in case of a mechanical problem, saves getting mucky, just pull inside out when done. Don't get the powdered ones, they leave a mess on your hands. Park do a set of wide tyre levers which are excellent forcstubborn tyres, I carry one of these and a pair of their standard ones, much stronger than standard fare.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I am a similar weight to the OP and have the harder suspension. I like a sporty ride so comfort is not my top priority.

if you are tall get the 2-stage extending seat post not the just the long one, this means it’s easier to wheel around folded and use the saddle as a tiller without stooping over.
    i dont own a brompton yet but borrowed one from a friend who is also over 6ft and he advised me to get this for my own bike too.
    i rode a 2 speed up and down the hills on the isle of man so would go 2-3 speed but i guess it depends on your fitness level and how much luggage you want to carry. the front bags are the best way to do this, they are doing a deal where you buy the bike before end of feb and get a voucher towards a bag.

Just ordered my Cycle Scheme voucher which I'm going to use to buy an M6L.

Actually have a 2016 M6L model in black on hold with a cycle shop as it also had a decent discount to the 2017 model.

The Cycle Scheme seems a very good way to buy a Brompton as you seem to get it for a reasonable price in the end with the tax savings.

I'm not going to use mine to commute, but hopefully it'll be a lifelong companion in the back of the car when I'm out and about or on business trips.

I may even consider a travel box for international travel.

Is suspension choice a big deal? It's just a big rubber bung that costs a few pounds. I have absolutely no idea what mine is.

One thing I did do that was worthwhile was to change the 'bottle' dynamo for a unit built into the front hub. It powers LED lights that stay lit when you stop, which is a good thing on busy roads.

Master
    I’ve just joined the Brompton community and have enjoyed reading this - any accesories that users would recommend Im looking at lights, carry handles etc

Master
    I would get the 6 speed if you encounter many hills, london is fairly flat however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 6’2’’ and 106kg I felt like I was riding a child’s bike when I had my Brompton! - always found the folding action very nifty but never got on with the tiny wheels. Think that may have more to do with me than the bike though! - congrats on the new job btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to find some suitable LED lights for both stem and seat post (and not interfere with the fold).

Ergon grips are wonderful, highly recommended.

The Brompton bags are good but TBH I've not had a lot of use out of the roll-top I bought via gumtree.

There is an Ikea wash bag that fits the Brompton perfectly for storage or in the car.

I think the carry handles look dreadful, personally.

I stuck a brown charge spoon saddle on mine. Very pleased with it and it goes with the raw lacquer very well, as do the honey coloured Brooks Ergon leather handlebar grips.

Master
    Thanks for the feedback are there any specific lights people would recommend?

I’m assuming you are referring to the big blue ikea bags for storage??

I’ve got a brooks saddle and a front pannier bag thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Thanks for the feedback are there any specific lights people would recommend?

I’m assuming you are referring to the big blue ikea bags for storage??

I’ve got a brooks saddle and a front pannier bag thanks
    No, not the blue bag, it's a zip-up wash bag and mine's clear. "Dimpla" or something like that. Very cheap, couple of pounds. Can keep the car boot clean and tidy and keeps the dust off your bike at home if you, ahem, don't use it for a while.

The problem with the lights is space. You clearly lose the seat post with the fold but there is enough room for a small LED right at the top under the saddle. I use a Decathlon one. The front again is a bit of an issue with the fold, but a long, slim COB will fit on the stem. The handlebar is more tricky to use and I've not found anything that won't clatter into the spokes yet, but I haven't given up.

I'd consider Boris biking in London if your work end is near a parking point and getting a very good lock or just riding a clunker the 4 miles to the station. Bromptons are as good (well, maybe Birdy) as folding bikes get, but they're very expensive, heavy, and rubbish compared to a full size bike at any price point. Carrying one is a right pain.