closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What have I bought? Land Rover content.

Master
    Blog Entries

What have I bought? Land Rover content.

Just picked this up from a customer to use over winter for a bit of 'fun'. Aside from the fact that it is by far the worst car I have ever driven (and I've driven some shockers), I don't know a lot about the early Landies.

I know a few of you run these so anyone shed any light on it?

Dave

Did you say shed?

What have I bought? Land Rover content.

What's not to like. A Series 3, in a classic colour with a touch of wabi. A light rub with a Cape Cod cloth and it will come up a treat.

Had a Series 3 Lightweight many years ago. Loved it but the noise and discomfort on a longish journey were unbearable. A real hoot off-road though.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 26th November 2016 at 17:34.

Banned
    One things for sure after driving round in that over winter you will understand how Scott felt just before he froze to death.

I miss mine, not really.

I see it has the safari roof with the birmabright cover to attempt to prevent the insides heating up excessively in the Kalahari desert sun. I don't think you'll be needing that feature in the British winter Dave!

Excellent. You either 'get' a 3 series, or you don't. If you do you will see past the discomfort, the horrendous gas mileage, the cold inside in cold weather, the dampness and likely leaks in wet weather, to enjoy the real charm of a proper tool car that will take you almost anywhere.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Don't think of it as a car it isn't. Think of it more like a wheelbarrow with an engine.

I have a 1964 Series 2a and I love it, but I also have a Defender (and that's not a car either, although it's a late Puma engined jobbie and a very big step from the earlier series models).

Master
    Not the ideal vehicle for comfort, quiteness, economy, reliability or gadgets but you didn't buy it for them.
    I'd love one as would both my kids of love landies thankfully a few mates have them so the kids get out in them occasionally.
    If only I could convince the wife but that's not likely.

Banned
    Don't forget to open the window then lean over to the left as you shut the door, your elbow and knee will thank you for it. Also train your clutch foot by trying to bury a brick into a bucket of gravel, put heated ear defenders on your Xmas list.

She's a beauty.
    Last edited by Fords; 26th November 2016 at 18:10.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Did you say shed?
    No he said "fun"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Having driven the 7 miles home from work this afternoon, expect this to be on SC very soon!

I arrived at my home looking like i'd just run a marathon whilst being punched in the face by Mike Tyson.

The wife loves it and wants to keep it. If she does, I'm going to get a new wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Excellent. You either 'get' a 3 series, or you don't.
    That's true of just about any LR series though. ;-)

I had a Series 1 from 1956, it was a bit of an impulse buy (alcohol was involved) and it was truly a God-awful car to drive. However, wherever it went there'd be a group of enthusiasts gathered around it within minutes, random people would wave at me on the road (as they were overtaking us) and you never needed to worry about leaving it unlocked because a) it had no locks and b) it required quite a skill to get it started and keep it ticking over whilst you attempted to get it into gear.

Nowadays you'll be lucky to find one for less than 5 figures, a fitting testament to the 'get it' brigade.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

My sister and husband have a LWB version and they love it, like any 'classic' there is always something to fix but they do have fun apparently, their kids really do love it, I'm not sure they are saying that to convince themselves but they've had it for years.
    Cheers..
    Jase

A mate bought a series 3 off eBay, him and his Mrs got the train to pick it up intending a leisurely drive back over the weekend. (they were in London, car on Durham area). After an hour or so they had to find a town so she could buy a sports bra. It sat on the drive for a while before going back on eBay.

I've never driven a 'proper' Land Rover - but I think I'd 'get it'

Nice looking motor OP!

Master
    My father in law had one for years, he was quite attached to it. Not as much as the family cat though, Yogi made it his preferred residence for the last few years of his life.

It was a horrible thing, very basic, I prefer a comfortable car, driving in the south east is stressful enough already.

Master
    Keep it, it looks ace.

I've a 2004 Defender, so not half as appealing (to some) as yours. And am very fond of it.

They're fun and characterful and other road users will like you :)

When I was a member of a gliding club in the UK we used old Land Rovers and even a lightweight (with flat sides, to fit inside Hercules apparently) to tow gliders back to the launch point. It was perishing cold in the winter so we used to disconnect the hose joining the heater and the windscreen demister and shove it up a trouser leg. Bliss.

I bought one on here a few months ago, yet to drive it so looking forward to the full experience when I get back to the UK in a few weeks time.

Fun, charm and nostalgia. What more do you need to know?

Louvely, enjoy!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I love them, but they want to kill you if you try to make reasonable progress on actual roads. Or at least feel like they're trying to kill you.

If you drive like it's 1948, you'll get on famously.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    One things for sure after driving round in that over winter you will understand how Scott felt just before he froze to death.

I miss mine, not really.
    Quality comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    A mate bought a series 3 off eBay, him and his Mrs got the train to pick it up intending a leisurely drive back over the weekend. (they were in London, car on Durham area). After an hour or so they had to find a town so she could buy a sports bra.
    Worthless without pictures (or better yet a video!)

A friend of mine has newish Range Rover - Lovely thing to travel in, but I wouldn't want to drive it - Unless it was Pink, had two GPMGs, I was in the desert and has passed selection, I can't see why I'd ever want to drive a Land Rover!

M

Lovely. I've had three, 2a, 3 and Defender.

Overdrive, free-wheeling hubs, 750 tyres and you'll be sorted. Everyone will be jealous when it snows.

They certainly are an acquired taste. I loved driving mine around, safe in the knowledge that I had another vehicle for longer journeys. My friends and I had more laughs in the Series 3 than any other cars we owned. It was an event driving it. Bouncy, slow, heavy steering...... whats not to love!!

Master
    I always wanted a Land Rover until the day that I borrowed one from a friend.

.................................................. . I have never wanted one since!

The Range Rover however is a totally different and very desirable beastie!

Master
    I have had numerous landies over the years.......don't have one at the moment.
    Bought a Shogun, boo, hiss I hear. But it's reliable, doesn't leak and a dam sight better value for money !!!
    No doubt you will see the light very soon Dave

Master
    This thread - Brilliant. Warmed my Tuesday morning with laughter.

Master
    For something like 15+ years a landrover was my only vehicle. Started off with a SIII LtWt but that was a little too primitive as a daily drive i.e. zero heater (well there was something on the bulkhead that made lots of noise but that was about it), canvas top and doors that didn't fit. Still used it for 3 or 4 years and loved it. Story... driving to see my parents in blackpool one christmas, c. 20 something of december. Over the M62. I had on two pairs of thick socks, boots, pyjamas, trousers, two jumpers, coat and a blanket across my lap and I was still freezing! The concentrated screen wash I had in a bottle on the passengers seat froze!

Then went to a D90 and then back to a SIII (as pictured). Kept it for 4-5 and then went to a Defender. The only thing that ended LR ownership for me was the 25-30mpg (SIII LtWt was c. 18 but the SIII was a 2.5 derv and that would get to 25!!).

I still stare doughy eyed when I see a proper LR... not the modern pose-mobile offerings you see nowadays. The thing about a Defender or Series LR is they are totally classless and they simply ooze style.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Having driven the 7 miles home from work this afternoon, expect this to be on SC very soon!

I arrived at my home looking like i'd just run a marathon whilst being punched in the face by Mike Tyson.

The wife loves it and wants to keep it. If she does, I'm going to get a new wife.
    Why does your wife fancy this? Is she going through a Shabby Chic phase?

Probably getting her to drive it will cure her instantly? ;)

H
    If you give people nothingness, they can ponder what can be achieved from that nothingness.
    Sent from my iPhone

Master

You just have to adopt a different take on driving. The thing about a vehicle like this is it forces you to be a better driver! You have to take a lot more care and planning with your driving. Concentrate and be more aware of what's going on around you. So if coming to lights look several cars ahead and anticipate what they're doing so you're prepared to either brake or accelerate well in time. The problem with modern cars is they make you into a lazy driver that relies too much on the ability to leave everything to the last minute. A modern car allows you to switch off and disassociate from the actual driving which, IMHO, is NOT a good thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    Why does your wife fancy this? Is she going through a Shabby Chic phase?

Probably getting her to drive it will cure her instantly? ;)

H
    If you give people nothingness, they can ponder what can be achieved from that nothingness.
    Sent from my iPhone
    It's alright, she's driven it too now.
    We're going to move it on!

I've driven plenty of cars in my time so consider myself a 'good' driver. Certainly able to jump from vehicle to vehicle and cope with the change. The trouble with the SIII is that it isn't alone on the roads. If I leave a big enough gap to compensate for the woeful brakes, another car pulls into the gap to fill it. The other trouble is the fact that if I do have a little bump in it, there is zero chance that I'll be walking away with all my limbs fully operational. I would never take my kids in it so it's become a bit pointless keeping it!

Master
    It's alright, she's driven it too now.
    We're going to move it on!

I've driven plenty of cars in my time so consider myself a 'good' driver. Certainly able to jump from vehicle to vehicle and cope with the change. The trouble with the SIII is that it isn't alone on the roads. If I leave a big enough gap to compensate for the woeful brakes, another car pulls into the gap to fill it. The other trouble is the fact that if I do have a little bump in it, there is zero chance that I'll be walking away with all my limbs fully operational. I would never take my kids in it so it's become a bit pointless keeping it!
    I've twice had a decent sized accident in a SIII... the first time the other car was a right off and all I suffered (I mean the LR) was a bent front bumper. The second time into a ditch with broken engine mounts, knackered wing, and sundry other problems. Both times I had zero personal damage. I've also had a few scares driving off road. The high up driving and massive steel frame mean you are very well protected. As LR people 'say, your crumple zone is the car in front!'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That's true of just about any LR series though. ;-)

I had a Series 1 from 1956, it was a bit of an impulse buy (alcohol was involved) and it was truly a God-awful car to drive. However, wherever it went there'd be a group of enthusiasts gathered around it within minutes, random people would wave at me on the road (as they were overtaking us) and you never needed to worry about leaving it unlocked because a) it had no locks and b) it required quite a skill to get it started and keep it ticking over whilst you attempted to get it into gear.

Nowadays you'll be lucky to find one for less than 5 figures, a fitting testament to the 'get it' brigade.

R
    Coincidentally, I had a meal with an old friend last week and I asked him what he'd done with his old Series 1, which he had got from his father-in-law, for use on the farm. He told me that it was the only 'car' he'd never lost money on. He had paid €160 for it (Ireland), used it for 15 years and sold it for €200, to some guy 'who seemed to think he had got a bargain!!' I reckon he probably had, as the buyer brought a battery with him and was able to drive it home on 'trade plates'.

Master

Any pics of the wife?

In a sports bra ...

Made me chuckle reading this thread!. Lol

Every generation of LR of this ilk (including the last of the Defenders) are useless at driving on the road - if you are a farmer or drive off road for 90% of the time they make sense.....

One life - get one!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    In a sports bra ...
    How about a Zlatan bra:

Master
    I learned to drive in a series II. I loved it.

I have owned a 1964 Series 2, with an SD1 v8 engine, and an almost pristine lightweight, and helped restore a few series ones. I can honestly say Land Rovers are the crappest vehicles ever. I have subsequently owned a 1944 Willys MB, on which bolts... could be unbolted. ...On which the chassis, despite great age, was unmolested by rust, as was the bodywork. Overall a much better designed and built vehicle. No doors, heater or much in the way of comfort, but so much more fun. Enzo Ferrari said (slightly tongue-in-cheek I suspect) that the WW2 jeep was America's only true sports car.

If you want a piece of steel to rust away, make it into a box section Land Rover chassis. Then just give it a skim of black paint. Hey, the thing will rust out from within so rapidly, you may as well not bother painting it anyway. If you want it to corrode the metal attached to it, attach it to a magnesium aluminium alloy that's almost impossible to weld. If you want to design something really badly, have the most corrosion-prone piece of the body made from steel, but make that piece the most difficult bit to replace (bulkhead). Put cheap electrics on the vehicle, preferably ones that don't handle damp very well. Have small plastic bits in the gearbox that are prone to falling out, but can't be replaced unless you rebuild the gearbox, which you can't do easily because... oh, yes, you've designed the vehicle to make gearbox removal a long and difficult job. Make all the bolts from low-grade steel so that they rust into place. And then get brummies to build it. Equip them with hammers so that the bits that don't fit can be persuaded to fit. Fit a heater, but design it and build it so it is not worthy of its title. Make all spares hugely expensive because... well, no reason really. Then sell off all the spare parts businesses to someone who can beat you at the 'crap metal' game. Clever farmers don't even have Land Rovers as they're so unreliable.

If you like messing about with expensive, smelly, cold, oily things, simply buy some Meccano, leave it bolted together in the garden for a year, then drench it in EP90 and spend hours lying on your back in the mud under a wet blanket dropping sods into your eyes, trying to undo it, and send me twenty five grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I have owned a 1964 Series 2, with an SD1 v8 engine, and an almost pristine lightweight, and helped restore a few series ones. I can honestly say Land Rovers are the crappest vehicles ever. I have subsequently owned a 1944 Willys MB, on which bolts... could be unbolted. ...On which the chassis, despite great age, was unmolested by rust, as was the bodywork. Overall a much better designed and built vehicle. No doors, heater or much in the way of comfort, but so much more fun. Enzo Ferrari said (slightly tongue-in-cheek I suspect) that the WW2 jeep was America's only true sports car.

If you want a piece of steel to rust away, make it into a box section Land Rover chassis. Then just give it a skim of black paint. Hey, the thing will rust out from within so rapidly, you may as well not bother painting it anyway. If you want it to corrode the metal attached to it, attach it to a magnesium aluminium alloy that's almost impossible to weld. If you want to design something really badly, have the most corrosion-prone piece of the body made from steel, but make that piece the most difficult bit to replace (bulkhead). Put cheap electrics on the vehicle, preferably ones that don't handle damp very well. Have small plastic bits in the gearbox that are prone to falling out, but can't be replaced unless you rebuild the gearbox, which you can't do easily because... oh, yes, you've designed the vehicle to make gearbox removal a long and difficult job. Make all the bolts from low-grade steel so that they rust into place. And then get brummies to build it. Equip them with hammers so that the bits that don't fit can be persuaded to fit. Fit a heater, but design it and build it so it is not worthy of its title. Make all spares hugely expensive because... well, no reason really. Then sell off all the spare parts businesses to someone who can beat you at the 'crap metal' game. Clever farmers don't even have Land Rovers as they're so unreliable.

If you like messing about with expensive, smelly, cold, oily things, simply buy some Meccano, leave it bolted together in the garden for a year, then drench it in EP90 and spend hours lying on your back in the mud under a wet blanket dropping sods into your eyes, trying to undo it, and send me twenty five grand.
    Quality ^^^

Now please get off your fence and tell us what you really think.

Master
    Parts... goto Paddocks or Craddocks... dirt cheap. I mean a full exhaust for thirty quid (last time I got one for the SIII)... can't go wrong! Brakes... a tenner for an axle set of shoes. Etc... okay these are the prices from about five years ago. Plus you can do it ALL yourself. No expensive labour charges. No electrics that need a specialist.

If I had somewhere to put it I'd jump at the chance of a decent (chassis) series LR - even a coiler would be acceptable.... looks dreamily into the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post

I've owned an Series 3 ex MOD Waltweight. Loved it. Recently I've been yearning for another manly Series Land Rover but have been horrified by current prices. This post has brought me to my senses and killed the idea.

By the way, I have some vintage Meccano to get rid of. Not valuable enough to go through the hassle of Ebay and probably quite expensive to post. Any collectors of Meccano here with any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    We have a nearly new defender pick up at work its a hideous thing im 6 foot tall and can just fit in it but with the steering wheel on my chest and and having to put my knees in my ears to press the peddles wont be driving it any time soon, and the modern fendt tractors we have are better equiped and nicer to drive on the road.

Blog Entries
    Still, a great car! Wear a Submariner and drive this Landy and you'll never, ever have to dress up again! In the Landy you're going to be late for an appointment, the Sub will tell you how much.
    Then again, it takes my wife nearly two hours on the Dutch motorway to cover 80kms from our home to Amsterdam - to her office. Traffic jams. Surely, the Landy is slow, but so is daily traffic nowadays. I suppose it's the same in the UK. So the low top speed of the Landy is relative to the traffic, I suppose.

Just drive the thing for a winter. Enjoy the cold hands and feet. But most of all enjoy the ride when there's snow. When everybody is stopped in his tracks and you can keep on driving.

Menno

Journeyman
    I had a series III for many years and I wish I still had it. Great fun and they are tameable to a degree by installing sound reduction kits, rear windows and a decent carburettor. Yes they are cold in the winter and they leak like sieves when it rains, but what other car gives so much off road fun and when it gets dirty inside, hose it out!

I used mine for commuting too and one day at work a colleague called me to say someone had run into my pride and joy. I went down to the car park to find a young lady on the verge of tears nursing a brand new Volvo estate which had a deep gash the length of the off side. She explained she had run too close coming into the car park and had gouged the side on the end of my front bumper. Expecting some bent bits, I checked the bumper to find a bit of Hammerite paint scraped off the end, nothing else.

After soothing the young lady with calm words and strong tea I discovered why she was in such a state ... the car belonged to her boss.