timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pimp My Garage

Craftsman

Update My Garage

Hi

I need help with a project

My garage is doing my head in, full of rubbish and can’t move around, looking for a lot of storage and very easy to keep tidy

It’s a single garage 2850mm wide x 5550mm long x 2550 high

No car in it for now but might be in the future so for now mainly used for storage

The 3 parts I would like to complete and appreciate advice

1. Storage:
    Across the back of the garage I am thinking Ikea units as they are the only ones I can find at 2400mm high
    Units 4 x 600mm wide units and a 400mm wide unit in the middle
    ( I was going to go with 3 x 900mm wide metal cabinets but they are only 1980mm high so wasted space on the top will get filled with junk I suspect )
    I mocked this up on the Ikea site to give me an idea how it will look

2. Walls:
    The right hand wall is facing brick which I shall leave with a couple of hooks the left wall and back wall are breeze block that I would like to paint these using Sandtex masonry paint and add a Slatwall system to the left wall these panels are 1830mm wide by 915mm high thinking 4 of these creating a 3660mm x 1830mm hanging space for bikes, ladders etc to keep as much stuff of the floor as possible

3. Floor:
    This is the one I am most stuck over, I would like to do something more than just paint it that will last for years and look quality ?
    Thinking Epoxy/Resin paint system ( like it to have a bit of a shine but not an ice rink in the wet?)

Or some sort of rubber matting/tile system

Here is the before picture hope to put a during and finished picture up soon

Last edited by Neilo; 1st May 2020 at 13:40.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would use the epoxy paint on the whole floor, and include 4 inches up the walls around it like a skirting board.

Master
    HA! That photoshop :-D had to double check things for a second.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    I would use the epoxy paint on the whole floor, and include 4 inches up the walls around it like a skirting board.

Thanks for the advice and added dog toys

I was thinking of grey painted plain skirting boards around the edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo View Post
    Thanks for added dog toys
    A bit harsh! I'm sure she's lovely.

These were cheap last time I looked in B&Q, they're sturdy and can take plenty of stuff.

Last edited by chrisparker; 25th November 2016 at 17:58.

Just two notes:

If you paint the floor it makes it impervious. This means that if and when you put a car in there wet the water that drips off has nowhere to go. It also means that id water gets in under the garage door it has nowhere to go.

Not sure what the IKEA stuff is made of but if it's melamine faced board then it will not last too well in a single skin garage. Machine Mart sell steel cabinets that I've had for about 10 years in a garage now and their still in pretty good nick. (Note I left a 1 inch air gap behind the cabinets by putting two battens on the wall to make sure there was a bit of a gap.)

Craftsman
    I researched quite a bit about flooring before I bought and laid my tiles. They are of the plastic variety which click together. Strong enough that my 4post ramp sits on them mind.
    I'll pop the name of them on here when I get home if you're interested.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    I researched quite a bit about flooring before I bought and laid my tiles. They are of the plastic variety which click together. Strong enough that my 4post ramp sits on them mind.
    Yes that would be great

For shelving, heavy duty racking and all storage solutions - there is only one!

Big Dug!

http://www.bigdug.co.uk/

Al

Craftsman
    If going down the expoxy route I would recommend waiting till summer, from experience without heat it can take days to dry. Also, 2 coats required.

Craftsman
    Found the receipt for my tiles.
    They are Dynotile
    http://www.dynotile.co.uk

And I bought them from Rockwell Building Plastics/Rockwell Sheet Sales Ltd, Coventry CV5 9AZ
    One tip I followed is to lay weed suppression matting under the tiles to stop them clacking on the floor. The stuff you would lay under gravel or chippings
    It's made to live in wet conditions so doesn't rot. I just bought it from the local garden centre.

Some random thoughts.

• Given the length of the garage you might struggle to get a car in there and all your other stuff.
    • If you are relying on storing stuff on the walls with a car in then give careful attention to making the wall hangings very secure.
    • Apply a sealer to both the brickwork and the breeze blocks irrespective of painting. As a bonus you'll use a lot less Sandtex on the breeze blocks.
    • Cupboards make things look tidy, but you can spend a lot of time opening and closing the doors whilst looking for items.
    • An alternative to your floor to ceiling storage at the rear of the garage would be kitchen units - and this would give you a work-surface which is very useful. Also, used units can be bought very cheaply: the last two garages I had were furnished out with kitchen units that had been removed from houses to fit new ones and the fitting company were glad to let me have them for a few pounds.
    • It might sound daft but I've had garage floors carpeted and it worked well, again they were used ones taken out of houses and sourced for very little money.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Forget all of that, do this instead...

TBH it's too small do do any meaningful 'pimping' from a car point of view.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Ref the floor I used this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-PVC...eAeCH4eOF7A3KQ

been down 3 years - excellent. And quite easy to cut and shape.

As for the walls, put up some 2" battens and then plasterboard. If you fill the void with Ceotex (spelling) it will add insulation and sound proofing.

And get a well fitting insulated garage door - if you want to keep the dust out.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Agree with Ralphys comments re cupboards. I'd go for open racking. My garage is small, I've had to fit racking above head height down the sides , a 5' wide car in an 8'6" garage means there's no chance to keep anything on the floor. This isn't ideal and I have to push the car out on the drive to get access to some things, But as a compromise it works, it enables me to have a classic car and work on it (just).

I used garage floor paint which hasn't fared too well, looked nice when first done but chips and flakes too easily.

I would definitely have a flat work area/workbench, even if it has to be fairly small and narrow.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    I used these http://www.ecotileflooring.com/appli...shop-flooring/ about four years ago in my garage. Warmer/softer on the feet/knees than floor paint & very tough having lifted my car on a trolley jack several times without damage. Edging strips are available to finish but you need to leave a small gap around the walls for expansion, if they have nowhere to go on a hot day they may lift/bow upwards in the middle.

Regarding the floor, I seal all my garage floors with ronseal concrete sealer and then use johnstones 2 pack epoxy floor paint (solvent based). Definitely use two coats. Bit trumpy at £75 for 4 litres but a good quality paint. Here's a before and after of one of my garages...

Oh and the sandtex brilliant white paint is a must for the walls...by far the best you can use.

Before...

Midway....

Finish...

Last edited by Yeti; 26th November 2016 at 18:51.

Quote Originally Posted by trainspanner View Post

Streets of Rage!!!! now there's a game!!! I wasted far too much of my teenage years on that bad boy.....love the man cave btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

Nice job!

Forget all of that, do this instead...

Not exactly a garage, except maybe for toy cars. There's no garage door! Without that, there's no garage.

Craftsman
    Yeah I put a stud wall up where the door was/is, I could bash it down and it's a garage again, the door is still there on the outside.

Yeah I put a stud wall up where the door was/is, I could bash it down and it's a garage again, the door is still there on the outside.
    Beautiful room...wish I had one like it!

Master
    Did you need planning permission then?

Looks amazing. Would definitely want something like this for my garage!

- - - Updated - - -

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I did wonder about planning permission, if we went the whole nine yards and made it habitable, bricked up where the door was, made an extra bedroom, then maybe, but as it appears as a garage from the outside and is only used in my spare time we didnt bother the council with it!

Craftsman
    Thinking of using theses tiles for the floor, they only for walking on at the moment (be a few years before I get a another car)

Work out under £5 Sqm so not bad price

Has anyone used these?

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...et-120-x-180cm

I've just had this fitted yesterday. Not made any decisions on the inside yet but some of these ideas are very useful.

Blog Entries
    The 'before' and 'after' pics show clearly what paint and elbow grease can do! Great result.
    As for storage: i would opt for storage with doors! It looks a lot more tidy when all's nicely tucked away.

Menno

I thought you said it was full of rubbish? There's a clear path to the back...

I'm also with Ralphy regarding work top over kitchen floor cabinets - extremely useful.

I have just bought a "family" car in a Maserati Quattroporte V which is .... 35" longer than my old Tuscan.

It BARELY fits in the garage so the only solution had been to sell the car and get something smaller make the garage larger!

I will start a thread soon as the diggers are coming. It's currently 3m x 6m and I plan to go 5m x 7m instead with a 4m roller door. At the moment I have about 4" each side to put the car in and it is excruciating to put back. I have to fold the mirrors in. I do not joke!

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Its well worth trotting over to detailingworld.co.uk to have a look at the garage/product collections section. There are some impressive garage builds and fit outs on there. Even if its a bit ocd in places there are some good ideas shared.

Thinking of using theses tiles for the floor, they only for walking on at the moment (be a few years before I get a another car)

Work out under £5 Sqm so not bad price

Has anyone used these?

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...et-120-x-180cm
    I have.

Advantages: they're good vfm, easy on the knees, good heat insulation, kind to accidentally dropped items and small stuff that drops on them doesn't go disappearing off into the distance.

One disadvantage: they expand in heat - a lot, especially direct sunlight. So you can't use them wall-to-wall and anything that presses them to the floor will cause buckling between anything else doing the same. I've still got some around and they make good kneeling/lying-on pads.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I did wonder about planning permission, if we went the whole nine yards and made it habitable, bricked up where the door was, made an extra bedroom, then maybe, but as it appears as a garage from the outside and is only used in my spare time we didnt bother the council with it!
    The issue might be if somebody else 'bothers' the council about it........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    in the end 'they' always do, always some jealous B****** out there.

Might not be so bad though: friends of ours converted their (integral) garage into a bed-sit for an aged relative and did get the local councils consent.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Might not be so bad though: friends of ours converted their (integral) garage into a bed-sit for an aged relative and did get the local councils consent.

R
    Indeed - depends on what the local building inspectors are precious about TBH (and any local restrictions/bye-laws etc.)

Indeed - depends on what the local building inspectors are precious about TBH (and any local restrictions/bye-laws etc.)
    I've just found a pic of the house post-conversion:

Interestingly, it seems that the neighbours next door have done the same thing.

R

I've just found a pic of the house post-conversion:

Interestingly, it seems that the neighbours next door have done the same thing.

R
    Often happens - permission given = precedent set, the basis of our forthcoming planning application (not a garage conversion) ;)

Craftsman
    I have.

Advantages: they're good vfm, easy on the knees, good heat insulation, kind to accidentally dropped items and small stuff that drops on them doesn't go disappearing off into the distance.

One disadvantage: they expand in heat - a lot, especially direct sunlight. So you can't use them wall-to-wall and anything that presses them to the floor will cause buckling between anything else doing the same. I've still got some around and they make good kneeling/lying-on pads.

R
    Will it help with expanding if I leave 1/2 inch around the edges and run skirting board over the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    Its well worth trotting over to detailingworld.co.uk to have a look at the garage/product collections section. There are some impressive garage builds and fit outs on there. Even if its a bit ocd in places there are some good ideas shared.
    I always find the sub fora (sic?) hard to navigate. Linky?

Don't need planning permission, but need to get building approval and building regs. We are in the process of converting our in to a bedroom, shower room and utility. Will post some pictures when it's finished.

Craftsman
    Never got round doing my garage in 2016 but since lockdown had more time to give it a refresh

Before:

After:

Journeyman

Never got round doing my garage in 2016 but since lockdown had more time to give it a refresh

Before:

After:

Looks great! Nice car as well

Quote Originally Posted by Iain73 View Post
    Looks great! Nice car as well
    Does it have a sunroof ?

Gentlemen, a cautionary tale.

I too decided to corona-shift the shite mountain that was preventing me from garaging the Riley under cover.

I too piled all sorts of junk into bags and shipped them off to the workshop, awaiting the re-opening of my local dump. Sorry, recycling amenity site.

I filled the Peugeot and trailer with all manner of crap-in-bags.

This exposed a forgotten hosepipe. On the last trip (remember that word) to my trailer, my foot became entangled with exhibit A and down I went.

I don't know exactly what damage I caused, but it is bloody painful. No fracture because I can bear weight on my left leg and articulate it, but the pain keeps me awake and I can find no comfortable position. I suspect a torn ligament or maybe plural. Obviously I haven't attended A&E because it isn't terminal and it will no doubt heal itself in time; I doubt there is anything hospital could do except maybe superior analgesia.

The moral of this tale is - had I not shifted the shite, there would not have been enough room to fall over, nor would the hostile hosepipe have been exposed.

Tidiness can be vastly overrated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Gentlemen, a cautionary tale.

The moral of this tale is - had I not shifted the shite, there would not have been enough room to fall over, nor would the hostile hosepipe have been exposed.

Tidiness can be vastly overrated.
    I am thinking had you kept it clean to begin with this injury would never had happened you obviously never took sage advice from your mother!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Does it have a sunroof ?

Yes Sunroof
    I would prefer one without as I also looked for one with no reversing sensors as I like the cleaner look of the bumper

Yes Sunroof
    I would prefer one without as I also looked for one with no reversing sensors as I like the cleaner look of the bumper
    I was wondering how you got out of it in there 😂

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I was wondering how you got out of it in there 
    Carefully

Just ordered these for the wall

Craftsman
    I have the plastic tiles in mine , in some areas I've had to stick them down, they have been down about 15 years now. I still use kneeling mats though . I painted all the walls with Dulux weathershield which makes a huge difference.

I did try both normal garage floor paint and epoxy but nothing lasted for me and the tyres rip it up

Had the garage purpose built as part of an extension although the wife does talk about converting it into a gym