closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended mixers for gin.

Master

Recommended mixers for gin.

I'm getting more into gin as my favourite tipple. Sat on the shelf are the Botanist and Sipsmith VJOP. Other than Indian tonic can anyone suggest tasty mixers to experiment with please?

I quite like Schwepps bitter lemon with Gin.

I find vodka, tequila, white rum, triple sec and a dash of coke go well with gin..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_Iced_Tea

Cheers,

Plug

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Fevertree.

Master
    Stick with Schweppes tonic. Why change a winning formula?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angiostura bitters and a splash of water. Go pink - you'll never go back.

Master
    Orange juice :)

1 measure of Gin
    1 measure of Pimm's
    In a tall glass with ice, top up with lemonade and garnish with a slice of lemon or lime

Fever Tree is superior to Schweppes. Angostura suggestion denotes a man with refined taste.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    I find vodka, tequila, white rum, triple sec and a dash of coke go well with gin..

Cheers,

Plug
    Blimey!

Angostura bitters, water (to taste) and a little ice (if available).

Master
    Fever Tree is very nice :-)

Funnyily enough was chatting about Gin the other day. A few years back there was a luxury Gin trolley on a cruise we were on. All the usual's like Hendricks, Bombay, Tanqueray et al with some quality tonics in the big round glasses with Juniper berries in the glass. Then a few pubs and bars started introducing Gin menus that had luxury cocktails, now I'm told there are Gin bars appearing - seems like it's a drink in the ascendence!

Craftsman
    Mmmmm.....not had a pink gin in a while, must rectify that. Used to have one with my Dad, who being RN used to have them in the mess. Is the navy dry now?

Fever tree for a G & T.

The ultimate is a very dry gin martini, straight up, with an olive.
    Last edited by gary1064; 22nd November 2016 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post

Cheers,

Plug
    Drink of champions! LIIT is a great cocktail IMO - you need juice of one lemon and two limes with doubles of the spirits.

More gin.......?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    Stick with Schweppes tonic. Why change a winning formula?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because its harsh and over carbonated. Fevertree is my go to tonic, others are Peter Spanton and Double Dutch.

Tipple of the moment is Earl Grey infused gin (had to do something with a bottle of Beefeater!) with ginger ale for a winter warmer

Glass from the freezer, swilled around with a dash of vermouth, decant said vermouth back into bottle and add gin and an olive.

Cheers,
    Gary

I went on the Bombay Sapphire distillery tour recently.You are invited to "nose" the various botanicals and list your favourites. Following this, you present your favourites to the cocktail waiter who mixes you a cocktail that he thinks you will like.

For me, (surprisingly...) it was a large measure of Gin, ginger ale, elderflower cordial and served over ice with a mint leaf.

I'd never have put these things together normally, but I do now! The distillery call this a "Laverstoke"
    slurp.

Master
    I am a relatively new convert to Fever-Tree but have rapidly become a Brand snob.

scooter

Craftsman
    G & T and a tiny splash of elderflower cordial.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Glass from the freezer, swilled around with a dash of vermouth, decant said vermouth back into bottle and add gin and an olive.

Cheers,
    Gary
    ^^^^ This is the correct answer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have wanted to try the VJOP for a while.
    Personal favourite is the fevertree naturally light tonic (silver/blue bottle) it's much less sweet than regular tonic and doesent have the vile (imho)taste of slimline. Well worth a try.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Or Gin n' ting. Preferably Hoxton n' ting

Master
    Blog Entries
    Me and the wife swear by Elderflower and tonic

Master
    As a G & T person I would agree with most posts above - but gin, Cointreau and grapefruit juice is worth a try - cold

Grand Master
    open the gin, pour it down the sink or give it to the other half, buy a nice single malt whisky, drink neat or with a small amount of distilled water, job done.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Distilled water is not exactly good for you and not good for whisky. The best water to add would be from the source whose water was used to dissolve the malt but failing that a nice local source water will be fine.

Sloes left in the bottle for about a year or so ,were just starting on the lot we bottled up last year .

Gary's Martini recipe is just missing the ice - stirred (dilution is important, IMVHO).

The Botanist is quite a light, summery gin in many ways, and might be good with a little citrus, gomme and soda (a Rickey). I've also had some success with the Pelligrino range of soft drinks - the grapefruit one, or chinoto-style flavour are both good with gins. A longer version of a Negroni - effectively an Americano with a splash of gin - can be quite good too. A white Negroni might be interesting too (Cocchi Americano / Dolin or Suze / Lillet, perhaps, or even one of the newer amari?)

The VJOP is probably best with tonic / as a Martini, but may work with something a little more unusual.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Because its harsh and over carbonated. Fevertree is my go to tonic, others are Peter Spanton and Double Dutch.
    The trouble with Fever Tree is you end up making yourself a tonic and gin. I can't deny that it's great, but it completely overpowers what is supposed to be the main event.

It might sound daft but I often use fever tree with cheap and/or crappy gins like Gordons or Bombay, and boggo schweppes or (whisper it) supermarket own brands in very small amounts with nicer gins. Currently on Foxdenton 48 and Conker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    open the gin, pour it down the sink or give it to the other half, buy a nice single malt whisky, drink neat or with a small amount of distilled water, job done.
    Finally someone speaks the truth. Although I disagree about the distilled water.

The very stench of gin has me on the brink of vomiting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    The trouble with Fever Tree is you end up making yourself a tonic and gin. I can't deny that it's great, but it completely overpowers what is supposed to be the main event.

It might sound daft but I often use fever tree with cheap and/or crappy gins like Gordons or Bombay, and boggo schweppes or (whisper it) supermarket own brands in very small amounts with nicer gins. Currently on Foxdenton 48 and Conker.
    This is my worry - not wanting overpower a good gin with the mixer. Should the more boutique gins be drunk straight?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    A bottle of Yamazaki awaits opening come xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    This is my worry - not wanting overpower a good gin with the mixer. Should the more boutique gins be drunk straight?
    They can be - in fact probably must be - in order to understand what they taste like and therefore what might go best with them. Some just don't work in, for example, a classic Negroni or even Martini. Some taste very different with a slice of lemon, compared to lime, for example. I tend only to drink neat gin at tastings.

Given how *subtle* dome of these new gins tend to be, I'm surprised there isn't a push to drink neat, slightly chilled. I say slightly, because you'd expect gin botanicals to be largely impacted by temperature in the same way as whisky, so the flavours are - presumably - dulled at low temp.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Angostura bitters, water (to taste) and a little ice (if available).
    Cucumber adds to the flavour!

From the net:

Clasico Martin Miller’s gin with grated lime zest
    Martin Miller’s gin with flamed orange zest, Amarena cherries (bitter Italian dark cherries)
    Hendrick’s gin with cucumber, mint, spicy-sweet guindilla peppers (of the Basque region)
    Citadelle gin with fresh grapefruit, nutmeg
    Not a Gin Tonic with Ransom Old Gin, ginger ale, basil, citrus twist
    Fifty Pounds gin with fresh pineapple, star anise
    Plymouth gin with muddled strawberries, black pepper
    Farmer’s Organic gin with muddled blueberries, mint, St. Germain
    G’Vine with muddled grapes, pomegranate seeds
    Bayswater gin with fresh rosemary, lemon twist, Indi Tonic (from Spain)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

Stop being stingy with the gin!

Gin, soda water and a generous slug of Rose's Lime Cordial.
    OR
    Gin, a fiery ginger beer, lots of ice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Have been to a few gin tasting evening at my local gin shop Moonshine and Fuggles in Ironbridge, first we try the gin neat and then with matched mixer and carefully selected garnish. The difference in taste between neat and mixed is sometimes like night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Distilled water is not exactly good for you and not good for whisky. The best water to add would be from the source whose water was used to dissolve the malt but failing that a nice local source water will be fine.
    I can't agree with that. There is a lot of quackery that claims it's harmful. Let's just explore why? The claim that distilled water is acidic is true. Left in the open distilled water will quickly absorb CO2 from the atmosphere making a very weak carbonic acid. - Yet we happily drink much more acidic things? The big problem is that it contains no minerals like tap water does. The lack of minerals from drinking distilled or demineralised water all the time will not be good for you. That is why the claim that RO water is OK but distilled is not is hogwash. If you filter and de-ionise and RO water you end up at the same place as if you distilled it.

So - on balance putting a little distilled water into your whiskey now an again is unlikely to be harmful IMHO.

However - I totally agree that the very best way to dilute a cask strength whiskey is to use the water that the distillery used when making the whisky originally. Failing that a nice spring water from close to the distillery would be my second choice.

Oh - to avoid being total OT - Fevertree
    Last edited by aldfort; 23rd November 2016 at 14:15.

Recommended mixers for gin.

So basically, you can't agree with what I wrote, then confirm every single point I made...

(Apart from the fact I used the French word source instead of the correct English word spring)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Angiostura bitters and a splash of water. Go pink - you'll never go back.

Another vote for the Angosturas this time with a splash of soda or Badoit - but not the heart tracers :-)

B

So basically, you can't agree with what I wrote, then confirm every single point I made...

(Apart from the fact I used the French word source instead of the correct English word spring)
    Nope - you said it was not good for you.
    It is not harmful but you'd need to get the minerals from somewhere else. There is a difference.

I said it is not exactly good for you. The fact that it quenches your thirst like spring water but contributes to a loss of minerals confirms that. It is not going to do you any harm unless you drink large quantities of it but it doesn't invalidates what I said. Please note I never wrote that it was harmful, poisonous or anything like that. As I said, we're saying the same thing.

Fever Tree Naturally Light all the way

I said it is not exactly good for you. The fact that it quenches your thirst like spring water but contributes to a loss of minerals confirms that. It is not going to do you any harm unless you drink large quantities of it but it doesn't invalidates what I said. Please note I never wrote that it was harmful, poisonous or anything like that. As I said, we're saying the same thing.
    It does not contribute to the loss of minerals it simply does not add the minerals we need like tap water does. The original statement you made in context of the tiny amounts of water you would splash into a glass of whisky creates a false impression.
    There is too much mumbo jumbo written on this topic on the internet already. Let us agree to stop adding to it.

Master
    I always though that Gin was best mixed with a bin (any type) and have a nice Whiskey instead. :D

<awaits flaming>

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    I always though that Gin was best mixed with a bin (any type) and have a nice Whiskey instead. :D

<awaits flaming>
    Each to their own.

I certainly don't own as much gin as whisky/whiskey, but am more than happy to drink them both (just not in the same glass).

I meet a lot of people who don't like whisky/whiskey, and some who don't like gin. Weirdly, the latter quite often like other flavoured vodkas, so I assume it's the juniper that they don't like, rather than anything else.

Master
    Only having a wind up...My Mrs loves her Gin.

Nothing fancy, Bloom, Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks and the likes, usually mixed with a glass and not much else!