closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Refinishing an Aerospace

Journeyman

Refinishing an Aerospace

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a used aerospace, but a lot of the watches I see appear quite marked/scratched. I know the titanium marks very easily, and most of what I am seeing is just superficial, so I'm wondering whether anybody has had much success in refinishing one themselves? I know Breitling will refinish it, but at the cheaper end of the market (where I'm looking) it seems a bit of a false economy sending it to them.

If anybody has experience your advice would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Simon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have read, but haven't ever tested the theory, that an ink eraser will remove light scratches from titanium. The finish is a bit shiny apparently, but then the titanium naturally dulls over time.

Journeyman
    Thanks, I've read similar too. Erasers, fibre tipped pens and pads all seem popular, just not sure I want to attack a watch without some reassurance!

I've had a few titanium watches over the years and it's fairly easy to remove superficial scratches. If you could feel the scratch with your fingernail though, they will need proper metal removal to hide.

I used a titanium scratch pen for spot work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scratch-Pe...s/401089024936

Then I'd finish off with a cushioned nail buffer. These are similar to a very fine grade wet/dry paper. This would create an even finish.

http://www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/S...uffer/p/560928

This technique would remove the superficial marks completely without removal of much metal. If you go carefully, you can't really go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I have read, but haven't ever tested the theory, that an ink eraser will remove light scratches from titanium. The finish is a bit shiny apparently, but then the titanium naturally dulls over time.
    It's true I use one on my pelagos
    You need the harder blue end of the eraser

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems that refinishing isn't that hard, so the search goes on for an aerospace, but I'll be less fussy about the condition than I have been!
    When I get one I'll post some before and after photos so you can see how a complete amateur gets on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    As with any watch, it depends on the depth of the marks and the position. Minor scratches and scuffs are easy to refinish, with deeper scratches it all depends where they are. Deep dings on edges are the worst, and often they can't be completey removed.

Generally, scratches look deeper than they really are, that's because the metal ploughs up and stands proud of the surface. A tiny block of hardwood with wet and dry paper wrapped around is the best way to remedy this, using the hard block maximises the levelling effect and takes the protruding metal off whilst having minimal effect on adjacent areas.

Minor scratches and scuffs can be touched up using a fibreglass scratch pen, but best results are obtained by having the whole watch refinished. Titanium's a bit more forgiving than steel because it turns matt, making toiched up areas harder to spot.

Paul

I use garry blocks great on titanium and steel the black a little finer and the blue one good for steel

Journeyman
    Well, after all the positive comments (nobody has said don't do it!) I'm going to give it a try - just need to find the right watch first!
    One more question if I may? The bezel on an aerospace doesn't have any obvious "grain", at least not that I can see. They look more, well, sandblasted for want of a better description. Is this a feature of titanium and how it ages, or something else?
    Thanks
    Simon

In my view, no matter if it's titanium or steel, if the scratched surface was polished you can polish it up. If it was brushed you can do it as well, but if it was sand- (more likely) bead blasted I don't see how could you refresh unless you have the Equipment for bead blasting. (Which can be sourced as well, but you may not buy it unless you are planning to retouch watches on a regular Basis.)