closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple Watch 2

Apple Watch 2

Bought the Apple Watch Nike version today and I'm absolutely amazed by its functions wearability and overall design so much so that I gave my 9 year old son my garmin 920 xt and now seriously considering selling 4 of my other watches.

My thoughts at the moment are the apple as a work and daytime and training watch and purchasing one special occasion watch (I'm 10th on a list for a ceramic Daytona) as I'm feeling these are my only requirements now.

Has anybody else had the same thoughts or is the Apple Watch not really classed as a true or conventional timepiece amongst fellow forum members.

I suspect the scenario you describe is the way many will eventually convert to smart-watches, these days I don't wear a watch daily, preferring all the functionality of my phone, my (traditional) watches being for evening, weekends and holidays, enjoy.

Master
    I wear mine for gym and at the weekend but you can't beat a real watch. I also wear in bed as the alarm/vibrate is subtle but wakes you up gently....and has a snooze button hit.

Being waterproof is the biggest winner for me as I often forget to take it off after a workout.

Yep exactly it has everything for daily use and night time wear (sleep) and thus one going out dress watch required....... Imagine what are children will do in 10 years time.

For the first thirteen years I had a mobile phone, I wore no watch. For not one moment did I think, I wish this device was attached to my wrist. Watches reentering my life has done nothing to change that.

Does the Nike version just do sporty stuff like Heart rate etc or does it also do the emails and normal Iwatch functions ???

I'm the same. My series zero Sport (with screen protector) lives on my wrist and the exercise functions are brilliant - I workout at lunchtime a few times a week so it's great for daytime use. I've kept my G Shock for swimming and I have my 5513 for special occaisions, that's all I need tbh.

Craftsman
    Guys, please this is a watch forum, not a forum for geeks using wearable electronics.

More seriously, I know several persons who used those Apple watches and at some point stopped because it got annoyed with them. The reality is that nobody needs a smatwatch, a good smartphone is more than enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I feel the same I purchased the new series 1 while waiting for my series 2 and I haven't put my other watches on since very impressed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never thought I'd state this, but I too can relate. A month ago picked up a series 2 stainless black on bracelet to take on holiday and see how I felt. Never had one before and really like it, so much so that its my weekday watch now. I do see it as wearable tech and enjoy it for that. Activity updates, notifications and to tell the time. This has made me reassess what watches I want and so now only wear mechanicals at the weekend, as more of an event. I've cut my collection down and thinned to PM only,so they are even more special.

I'm fully aware and signed in to the fact in a year or two I'll buy another and that this will depreciate to zero.

I'm very surprised and can only see things getting harder for the Swiss guys over the coming years. These will end up doing more and as the younger generation become older I'm not sure how they will see mechanicals, for sure as we know, boom days are over for the industry. I'm sure they will find a way to survive, For now I'll enjoy both.

Blog Entries
    I'm sticking with my garmin vivosmart HR for now, which looks different enough from a watch that I can wear it on my wrist 24x7 to track sleep and activities and HR. And I can wear any watch I want on my other wrist.

If I got an Apple Watch there's a couple things. The 1 day battery life means I can't get overnight sleep activity which is important to me. And it would look silly wearing a watch on each wrist IMHO.

Perhaps when tech advances over next five / ten years I'll reconsider.

Martyn

I was unconvinced by my original Apple Watch, but my S2 running WatchOS3 hasn't left my wrist since I bought it at launch.

I am tempted, but only for the GPS and the ability to run Strava on it for runs. The rest of the functionality seems meh, and you are writing off its cost every 2-3 years

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I'm sticking with my garmin vivosmart HR for now, which looks different enough from a watch that I can wear it on my wrist 24x7 to track sleep and activities and HR. And I can wear any watch I want on my other wrist.

If I got an Apple Watch there's a couple things. The 1 day battery life means I can't get overnight sleep activity which is important to me. And it would look silly wearing a watch on each wrist IMHO.

Perhaps when tech advances over next five / ten years I'll reconsider.

Martyn
    ^^^^^^ this.

It was like I'd written it myself! Activity band in my right wrist and a 'proper' watch on my left wrist.

In honesty I'm slightly worried that if I tried an Apple Watch my addictive personality would kick in and I'd not want to miss stats etc meaning I wore it all the time! However I'm not prepared to give up on my collection.

undeniable functionality, and well designed - saw one on a steel mesh bracelet on a client's wrist recently, fantastically cool.
    But what smart watches are likely to lack in future is collectability - and that is what we love about mechanical watches: the variety, the little details, the craft, the stories...

Floppy disk anyone ?

Digger

Obviously a great debating point

I have taken the kids out today bowling and for a meal and normally change into my pam or omega but the Apple Watch is still there without even a thought of swapping it.

I know I'm old but I'm going to a rave next week can't wait too see the apple display as I pump my arms in the air 😍😍

Quote Originally Posted by wainy001 View Post
    Obviously a great debating point

I have taken the kids out today bowling and for a meal and normally change into my pam or omega but the Apple Watch is still there without even a thought of swapping it.

I know I'm old but I'm going to a rave next week can't wait too see the apple display as I pump my arms in the air
    Pretty sure your Panerai and Omega will be ticking away long after the iWatch has been consigned to the dustbin. That's not to say you shouldn't enjoy it whilst it lasts.

D

I saw a guy in his 60s the other day with a YG Rolex President on one wrist and an Apple watch on the other...

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    Floppy disk anyone ?
    You can get pills for it if it's bothering you.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    You can get pills for it if it's bothering you.
    Got em ;-)

D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Guys, please this is a watch forum, not a forum for geeks using wearable electronics.

More seriously, I know several persons who used those Apple watches and at some point stopped because it got annoyed with them. The reality is that nobody needs a smatwatch, a good smartphone is more than enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    You use Android so I can understand why you don't get it. "The reality is that nobody needs a smartwatch" you could say the same about wearable mechanicals too. The great thing is we all have choice to like what we like.

I get two days out of the battery and could care less about want happens when I am asleep :)
    Last edited by watchmad; 20th November 2016 at 19:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    For not one moment did I think, I wish this device was attached to my wrist. .
    circa. 12 million people a year had the opposite thought...... :)

Craftsman
    My Apple Watch last's 2 days easily with general notifications etc.Not tried sleep tracking yet.

Grand Master
    The Apple watch is fashionable at the moment but as a watch it lacks class. Frankly I'd rather wear my £10 black plastic Casio digital.

As for wearing a proper watch on one hand and the Apple thing on the other?..........no way!

Can't believe any fans of proper watches would even give the Apple thing a second look; a 60 year old friend of mine has one because he has to get every new gadget out there......... he looks a knob wearing the watch but he doesn't care, we've all told him and he just laughs.

They remind me of the LED watches from the 70's.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    circa. 12 million people a year had the opposite thought...... :)
    flies around a pile of shit...........how can they all be wrong.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    flies around a pile of shit...........how can they all be wrong.

Paul
    Have to agree. There are not many companies out there like Apple (and fair play to them) who can release absolutely anything and it'll still be sucked up by the millions of early adopters. To me the real telling point is the prices I've seen in the second hand sales. Watches selling a year later for significantly less than the price of the bracelet it was brought on. Apple products have always been notorious for retaining value when re-sold, the watches, the utter opposite. They're suddenly realising that other than the die-hards, there really isn't much of a market for smart watches, the shortcomings just far outweigh the cost.

But hey, if people like them, they like them, but the notion of "undeniable functionality" is rather laughable. The sales figures rather prove that the majority of consumers have not been convinced that taking a phone out of your pocket is too much work.

Journeyman
    a 60 year old friend of mine has one because he has to get every new gadget out there......... he looks a knob wearing the watch but he doesn't care, we've all told him and he just laughs.

Paul
    Good luck to him, live and let live

Master

Apple Watch 2

The Apple watch is fashionable at the moment but as a watch it lacks class. Frankly I'd rather wear my £10 black plastic Casio digital.

As for wearing a proper watch on one hand and the Apple thing on the other?..........no way!

Can't believe any fans of proper watches would even give the Apple thing a second look; a 60 year old friend of mine has one because he has to get every new gadget out there......... he looks a knob wearing the watch but he doesn't care, we've all told him and he just laughs.

Paul
    LOL, I often can't believe that fans of proper watches have horrible Barbour jackets, have a need to collect knives and have an unlimited appetite for 2nd hand shoes etc.

But hey, live and let live :)
    Last edited by watchmad; 21st November 2016 at 00:13.

a 60 year old friend of mine has one ......... he looks a knob wearing the watch but he doesn't care, we've all told him and he just laughs.
    He doesn't look like a knob, it's the

we've all told him
    brigade who are knobs and he's right to laugh at them.

Paul
    Next you'll want to smash the Spinning Jenny and Ravelling Nancy,

Journeyman
    My Apple Watch has taken 99% of my weekday wrist time over the last year or so.I love the design,it's functions are very useful for me at work and it doesn't give off a flashy or negative vibe to my customers in the job I do.

This has impacted on my wider watch collection with very little wearing of any of my other watches which in part has resulted in me selling off all my watches except my Yachtmaster which I have owned for nearly 20 years.I put the money I sold my other watches for into a Daytona and Deepsea as well as the YM-half the watches I had previously.

Master
    Apple watch daily wearer here too. Used to be an orange monster but now 90% apple watch. Mines an original sport so the OM comes out to play when swimming but have an S2 sport coming for xmas so i'll probably hit 99% apple in the new year.
    Can't think of another watch i've liked quite as much for practicality. Notifications are great, the alarm wakes you gently, the fitness functions are good and it doesn't look bad on different straps, it's a bugger nato's don;t work with it though, even apple pay is useful if you can get over looking like a cock when paying with your wrist.

Master
    I've been toying with the idea of the Apple Watch for a while and I think it will be my next watch purchase.
    I was put off the first edition as it wasn't waterproof and I knew a few people who said they had lots of glitches.
    Hope Santa is reading this!

Craftsman
    I've had an Apple 1 watch for about 1 year, and wear it as a work watch only.

A bit gimmicky, I agree, but has it's uses.