closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: ROLEX AD refuse to give me the hang tags on new watch !??!

Master
    Well, all this may be irrelevant now. According to the blogger 'Frederico', all new guarantees will be for the original owner and none transferable. Rolex will be able to detect grey sales and there will be no guarantee. Same with used watches. All guarantees none transferable. They seem to hsve worked out how too operate such a system using photocopies of the original AD paperwork.
    Let's see if Frederico is correct. He seems well connected......it would change the market and give ADs a powerful sales weapon. Whether this applies internationally, who knows.
    Time will tell. But swing tags would be the least of the problem for resellers.i noticed that ADs in the UK were photocopying paperwork for Rolex HQ earlier this year. So, if correct, this plan has been evolving for some time. There seems to be a new database, which ADs and service depts can access, which records original paperwork and signatures. Otherwise you need the original sales receipt.
    Nb: active debate on the Rolex Forum. Something is going on. It will take time for the dust to settle . And I suppose the U.K. Could take it's own path, at least for a while.
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd November 2016 at 23:51.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Well, all this may be irrelevant now. According to the blogger 'Frederico', all new guarantees will be for the original owner and none transferable. Rolex will be able to detect grey sales and there will be no guarantee. Same with used watches. All guarantees none transferable. They seem to hsve worked out how too operate such a system using photocopies of the original AD paperwork.
    Let's see if Frederico is correct. He seems well connected......it would change the market and give ADs a powerful sales weapon.
    Time will tell. But swing tags would be the least of the problem for resellers.i noticed that ADs were photocopying paperwork for Rolex HQ earlier this year. So, if correct, this plan has been evolving for some time. There seems to be a new database, which ADs and service depts can access, which records original paperwork and signatures. Otherwise you need the original sales receipt.
    Nb: active debate on the Rolex Forum. Something is going on. It will take time for the dust to settle .
    I was told Saturday everything is photo'd to prove the watch has been sold for rrp. Zero discount allowed on stainless sports models.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    The "whoosh" you heard there was the real issue flying over your head. :)
    I understand both views, just looking on the bright side. Happy I'm wearing mine. When it's scratched I'll buy another..

Quote Originally Posted by ColinG View Post
    I was told Saturday everything is photo'd to prove the watch has been sold for rrp. Zero discount allowed on stainless sports models.
    You sound very happy Colin with your service from DM Robinson on Saturday.....the BNLR is indeed a lovely watch-
    Could you post a quick shot of the dated warranty card that they gave you? Just out of interest....

According to the blogger 'Frederico', all new guarantees will be for the original owner and none transferable.
    It's the only controllable method as far as I can see. Only products sold by ADs will be guaranteed. It could put a stop to 'grey' dealers, but it could also damage resale values which could be catastrophic. Good resale value is the main reason many buy Rolex over other brands, if that position weakens it would be a crazy move.

Let's see if Frederico is correct. He seems well connected......it would change the market and give ADs a powerful sales weapon. Whether this applies internationally, who knows.
    Time will tell. But swing tags would be the least of the problem for resellers.i noticed that ADs in the UK were photocopying paperwork for Rolex HQ earlier this year. So, if correct, this plan has been evolving for some time. There seems to be a new database, which ADs and service depts can access, which records original paperwork and signatures. Otherwise you need the original sales receipt.
    Nb: active debate on the Rolex Forum. Something is going on. It will take time for the dust to settle . And I suppose the U.K. Could take it's own path, at least for a while.
    Utter nonsense.

Photo's or photocopies prove only the point of sale occurred and not the sales price, and they can be photoshopped.

Grey dealers exist because of the red tape and hype and do well because of it - they will continue to do so. Watches will simply be sold as .New, pre-owned'.

They can fight it all they want but most Rolex dealers struggle due to the amount of 'average' stuff they have to take as part of their inventory, which is partly why the grey market flourishes.

It is illegal in most of Europe including (currently) the UK to not honour a warranty beyond the original owner - Federico is misinformed.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I fear you may find that 'utter nonsense' is not an adequate reply. But the whole subject of the Rolex guarantee has attracted dispute for years.
    Anyway, we'll see. But my AD has certainly been sending photos of the warrant card direct to Rolex. There has to be some purpose in that. So I think that something is going on, unless they just enjoy pointless extra work.
    Which is always possible.
    Last edited by paskinner; 23rd November 2016 at 04:17.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    You sound very happy Colin with your service from DM Robinson on Saturday.....the BNLR is indeed a lovely watch-
    Could you post a quick shot of the dated warranty card that they gave you? Just out of interest....
    I'm a difficult customer at the best of times so extracting an extra £600 she must have been doing something right. Service was 9/10. I didn't get offered champagne and the stickers were removed. I'll wear it more than its kept in the safe so not a deal breaker for me. But I really did sense due to her deliberate actions that something was happening behind the scenes... Which was probably the conversation you were having with Karl. Dealers think all customers are blogging each other, maybe they're right!

What is it you want to know about the warranty card? They didn't keep it if that's what you're getting at. Cheers.

I'm a difficult customer at the best of times so extracting an extra £600 she must have been doing something right. Service was 9/10. I didn't get offered champagne and the stickers were removed. I'll wear it more than its kept in the safe so not a deal breaker for me. But I really did sense due to her deliberate actions that something was happening behind the scenes... Which was probably the conversation you were having with Karl. Dealers think all customers are blogging each other, maybe they're right!

What is it you want to know about the warranty card? They didn't keep it if that's what you're getting at. Cheers.
    Think he might be referring to them now filling in name and address rather then just your name?

My last few purchases were name and address filled out, one being from the same AD my Daytona came from which I filled out the warranty card so it only had my name.

Master
    I bought a new Sub C a few weeks ago. No mention of requiring to remove the stickers. I also asked for and was given the plastic shipping container.
    The warranty card was swiped to activate the warranty and all was well. The only thing that was written on the card was my name and purchase date.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Think he might be referring to them now filling in name and address rather then just your name?

My last few purchases were name and address filled out, one being from the same AD my Daytona came from which I filled out the warranty card so it only had my name.
    Was given a choice of full address or house number and post code. I got the shipping container as well, no problem. And was given a Panerai glove and the offer of free cleaning at any time in the future.

I fear you may find that 'utter nonsense' is not an adequate reply. But the whole subject of the Rolex guarantee has attracted dispute for years.
    Anyway, we'll see. But my AD has certainly been sending photos of the warrant card direct to Rolex. There has to be some purpose in that. So I think that something is going on, unless they just enjoy pointless extra work.
    It is adequate, you might not like it but it pretty much sums up what your cited blogger has alluded to. It is all part of the ongoing 'charade', along with multi year waiting lists etc.

AD's seem to like spending time spouting guff and bluster in general so what is 20 seconds of scanning in the great scheme of things?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My address isn't on my warranty card. Wasnt asked for it.

IIRC the guarantee is worded to the effect that it's only honoured if the watch is supplied by an AD. Will go dig.

Master
    Jesus Christ
    Is the plastic shipping container now going to be part of a "full set"
    Becoming ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Jesus Christ
    Is the plastic shipping container now going to be part of a "full set"
    Becoming ridiculous
    No, and NO.

It is not unreasonable to expect the watch to be delivered in it's box with all the relevant bits - the grey dealers seem to manage it fairly easily.

Hi Colin-
    I just wanted to see a quick photo of the warranty card from your Saturday Rolex purchase at DM Robinson to ensure you actually made one...I'm suspicious by nature and just thought it was odd your first ever post was regarding this issue and DM Robinson- are you Karl by any chance? Lol😀 Let's see your warranty card from Saturday👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    No, and NO.

It is not unreasonable to expect the watch to be delivered in it's box with all the relevant bits - the grey dealers seem to manage it fairly easily.
    I wouldn't call a plastic delivery container a"relevant bit"
    If you think it is then fair play.

I wouldn't call a plastic delivery container a"relevant bit"
    If you think it is then fair play.
    I do not - which is why I said 'NO' ?

Blog Entries
    Hi Colin-
    I just wanted to see a quick photo of the warranty card from your Saturday Rolex purchase at DM Robinson to ensure you actually made one...I'm suspicious by nature and just thought it was odd your first ever post was regarding this issue and DM Robinson- are you Karl by any chance? Lol Let's see your warranty card from Saturday
    Me too.

Master
    I do not - which is why I said 'NO' ?
    My bad. Misread it.Apologies

Well that's just balls as far as I'm concerned - imo Rolex will not dictate zero discount, but they will take away AD status for over discounting or AD's feeding the grey market - which seems to be a similar thing, or rather goes hand in hand far too often.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Well that's just balls as far as I'm concerned - imo Rolex will not dictate zero discount, but they will take away AD status for over discounting or AD's feeding the grey market - which seems to be a similar thing, or rather goes hand in hand far too often.
    Agreed.

Was recently in an AD and mentioned this thread topic regarding removal of stickers and keeping the hang tags. He said the only thing they do is insist that the warranty is completed online and on the warranty card.
    He recently had a a US customer who did not want the warranty card completed but when informed of the policy, asked if it could be done in pencil. AD said it had to be done in pen not pencil.
    While AD was completing the warranty card, the customer was negotiating the sale of the watch via phone to a punter back in the US.
    As he was visiting Ireland on holiday, he could claim the VAT on leaving the country and make a tidy profit when he returned home. Nice one!
    As I mentioned in a previous post, I received everything with my recent Submariner purchase at a different AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question

Who is your AD please?

I picked up a D-blu Deepsea yesterday from a Rolex AD.
    It was untouched in the plastic delivery case from the Rolex factory -
    All stickers and hang tags untouched........
    If anyone has any nonsense like I had from DM Robinson I urge them to just go to
    a sensible AD elsewhere and not tolerate any crap.

If anyone has any nonsense like I had from DM Robinson I urge them to just go to
    How it should be! Well if that's how you want it can understand some non WIS thinking every but the watch is not needed.

Can I ask as you were on the DM list did this one come from another list your were on or did you strike lucky?

Banned
    Well done, sir, excellent result.

Master
    Er......no........
    The Rolex AD in question is DM Robinson.

So, after a 6 month wait for the watches I got a phone call saying I would not be allowed the hang tags.

The next day I got another phone call saying I could have the hang tags now but the general manager Karl Irwin was now insisting all Rolex have the factory stickers removed before you are allowed to leave the shop.
    Kindly they allow you the customer to remove the stickers.
    The salesman in question told me it was nothing to do with Rolex UK but was the general managers decision
    to remove stickers to protect their 'market'.

I then emailed the general manager Karl Irwin who told me he was following Rolex UK guidelines and he had to remove customers stickers or risk losing AD status Lol

I explained that I was not prepared to hand over £15,000 for two watches and then face the indignity of only being 'allowed' the watches if I sat there while they watched the protective stickers get peeled off. I've bought from two different AD's recently and neither were so pathetic.

Basically, as any Rolex collector knows if you are buying for a gift or a long term investment you want the watch as a full set and stickered up as it left the factory- I am not spending £15,000 with a shop who have no idea how to treat customers- I'd rather go without or go elsewhere.
    The general manager Karl Irwin sent me a curt email saying he would give me back my deposit- that's £1200 that he has had since May- good job I don't charge Wonga interest rates.
    You may like this story which begins six years ago, from which a lesson might better have been learned.

In December 2010 I spent £168,000 at auction in a single day buying over 60 unworn, stickered Rolex watches including Sea Dwellers 16600s, stainless steel Date Submariner 16610s, Yachtmaster 16622s, Explorers 14270 / 114270 / 16570 and others. Oddly, all the watches lacked bracelets. The story was that HMRC had intercepted the watches being smuggled into the UK in parts; Customs had seized the watch-heads and ultimately auctioned them off in a single sale to an audience of international dealers and private buyers. We were the largest buyer by far and took home over a third of the entire sale.

We then arranged directly with Rolex UK the purchase of all the new, genuine bracelets required to make the watches complete, for another £40,000+. I had always enjoyed lovely relations with their team at the time and my approach was direct: "I do not wish to source these bracelets from abroad; we have always been straight with one another so it seems right that I come to you to arrange supply." They responded with immediate grace and pragmatism, as was their habit.

Quite reasonably, one of Rolex's conditions was that we must conduct the deal which they had agreed through our local AD (David M. Robinson), who would make very good money out of the sale.

I tried to contact John Robinson, the MD and son of DMR himself (the latter by all accounts being a lovely man). Despite Rolex UK's having arranged the deal happily, JR would not return repeated calls and when finally pinned down wanted to grill me on where and how I would sell the watches etc. He said he would think about it....then again would not return further calls.

I decided to write to Rolex UK, advising them of their AD's miserable behaviour in the light of what had been agreed directly with them and asking if we might instead choose to be supplied through another, more professional AD on the same terms.

Suddenly Karl Irwin, whom I believe to be JR's brother-in-law (but obviously earned his position through his customer service skills) made contact, offering to conclude the deal. I made it very clear what I thought of the organ-grinder under the circumstances and that their opportunity was now lost. His brief pleading was quickly silenced.

I understand that hideous embarrassment and irritation were felt at Bexley. They did not hesitate in agreeing to the use of a different AD.

I believe that I retain original correspondence.

The bracelets were willingly supplied by an AD whom I had not used before, with charm and humour. That was the beginning of a fine friendship which remains to this day. Indeed, most ADs enjoy happy relationships with other jewellers and watch dealers who play with a straight bat.

David M. Robinson had and still has some wonderful staff, who love their products and can provide the very best of service. Some members here appear to know a few and I hope may long enjoy their service. However, the company has some people in the most senior positions who let them down.

Rolex agencies are gone. Shops closed or closing.

I am sorry for their staff, a number of whom have recently approached me for employment.

The swing-tag situation may be regarded by some as a microcosm of the attitude prevailing above.

As a retailer, the customer is the special one, not you. We all get it wrong at times, but some get it wrong a lot more often and with apparent indifference.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 4th December 2016 at 11:31.

Picked up an LV from my local Goldsmiths yesterday. Stickers intact, both hang tags, bezel protector, and transit case supplied. Name and postcode with the date written on the warranty card (in pen) and the warranty card then photocopied.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Picked up an LV from my local Goldsmiths yesterday. Stickers intact, both hang tags, bezel protector, and transit case supplied. Name and postcode with the date written on the warranty card (in pen) and the warranty card then photocopied.
    Good job it wasn't the Bull Ring branch - if they found out you were on this forum they'd be sending a team round to take it back!

H

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    You may like this story which begins six years ago, from which a lesson might better have been learned.

(...)
    Schadenfreude.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Schadenfreude.
    +1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Schadenfreude.
    Quite so.

Master
    I sort of understand their position a bit more on your story Haywood than the hang tag/sticker fiasco.
    They have obviously taken the hump that Rolex were going to facilitate a competing business to them who is not an official dealership.
    Can't speak for them but possibly peed off that Rolex wanted them to provide a nice smooth transaction on the bracelets and then you have the opportunity to undercut them and not be bound by any of Rolexes dealership rules.
    Looking at it from the outside I can understand them being annoyed at Rolex for this but once Rolex had agreed to it they might as well have got on with it and made a bit of money from it.

I still don't understand why the OP didn't get straight on the phone to Rolex. This is exactly what I would have done

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I sort of understand their position a bit more on your story Haywood than the hang tag/sticker fiasco.
    They have obviously taken the hump that Rolex were going to facilitate a competing business to them who is not an official dealership.
    Can't speak for them but possibly peed off that Rolex wanted them to provide a nice smooth transaction on the bracelets and then you have the opportunity to undercut them and not be bound by any of Rolexes dealership rules.
    Looking at it from the outside I can understand them being annoyed at Rolex for this but once Rolex had agreed to it they might as well have got on with it and made a bit of money from it.

£40k sale of bracelets is better than no sale at all. That's business.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    £40k sale of bracelets is better than no sale at all. That's business.
    absolutely.... that's why DMR is losing accreditation and staff and Haywood is "in business" and they are having a myriad of problems.......
    The purchaser's experience is a small part of what's going on there but a good indicator that not all is well back at the ranch............

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    absolutely.... that's why DMR is losing accreditation and staff and Haywood is "in business" and they are having a myriad of problems.......
    The purchaser's experience is a small part of what's going on there but a good indicator that not all is well back at the ranch............
    Agreed - they are mostly guilty of being so up their own @rse that they cannot be bother with the fundamentals.

Banned
    Well at least I don't have to ask them to remove the stickers now, bloody awful job that and they always miss one, the little one under the tab that clips over the clasp.

I don't understand the problem, they are effectively looking after the customers investment so these watches can not be flipped at profit onto the secondhand market.

When I buy a watch I want the watch not the stickers nor the hang tag or the bloody polishing cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    When I buy a watch I want the watch not the stickers nor the hang tag or the bloody polishing cloth.
    Good. So you can see the benefit of them treating you as a customer and sell you the product the way you want it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Good. So you can see the benefit of them treating you as a customer and sell you the product the way you want it.
    What I don't understand is why people want the stickers leaving on, is it some kind of new fashioned way of wearing them.

Would the same apply to a new car ?????

What I don't understand is why people want the stickers leaving on, is it some kind of new fashioned way of wearing them.
    Not really - matter of choice.

Say you want to offer the watch to your son/wife/daughter? Or, you want to put it in the safe for investment?
    Would you understand then why they want the stickers?

Now that you have at least one reason to keep them on, can you tell me what it changes for the retailer? He receives 2 watches that are highly in demand and sells both for the price he wants. How does removing the stickers bring him any added benefit?
    (Btw, the backlash he gets here will cost him a few sales)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Banned
    Not really - matter of choice.
    The choice at some dealerships is to have it the way they want or walk.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Say you want to offer the watch to your son/wife/daughter? Or, you want to put it in the safe for investment?
    Would you understand then why they want the stickers?

Now that you have at least one reason to keep them on, can you tell me what it changes for the retailer? He receives 2 watches that are highly in demand and sells both for the price he wants. How does removing the stickers bring him any added benefit?
    (Btw, the backlash he gets here will cost him a few sales)

I would take my intended recipient with me because I would want the braclet resizing, I'm not making two trips to the shop.

How much are stickers worth then, have I lost thousands.

It's up to the dealer how they sell a watch if you don't like it walk on.

No you wouldn't take the person with you if it's a surprise, that would defeat the object. and I don't know how far your AD is from your place but it is usually not an expedition to go there.
    As to the value... Well in 10 years time, should you decide to sell, one will be unused and the other one won't be. If both are on sale at the same price I know which one will go first.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post

Can I ask as you were on the DM list did this one come from another list your were on or did you strike lucky?

I was annoyed with DM Robinson and by coincidence a day or two later I saw the owner of another Rolex AD at a social function.......I've had one or two watches from him previously and he's great to deal with- I asked him to find me a D-Blu and he kindly sorted it out.
    With hindsight I should have just asked him in the first place.

It amazes me some folk here still say 'why do you care about stickers'- is it not general knowledge that a fully stickered
    up unworn Rolex is worth more than an unstickered one- I may rip the stickers off and wear it immediately or I may stick it in the safe unworn for 10 years- but I want it to be my decision not the AD's.

Banned
    How much more is it worth a few thousand a few hundred a few pence.

Right off to bed granddaughters here she's only 6 months old and I'm on the early shift.

How much more is it worth a few thousand a few hundred a few pence.
    Does it matter? If as a customer you want it untouched, that's how it should be. End of.

Would the same apply to a new car ?????
    Here in Beijing many people want the stickers left on their new car. It looks very strange to see cars with factory barcode stickers on but people like to show off that they have a new car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk