closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 16610LV bezel insert

Master

16610LV bezel insert

In my hunt for a Sub LV, a heads-up lead me to a bricks and mortar dealers Ooop north.

They're selling a 2008 16610LV; box, no papers. On request they sent me through a few photos of the watch and the quality's really poor, but for a 2008 engraved rehaut LV that bezel insert does not appear to be correct (looks like a fat four?!). So either the previous owner swapped the original bezel for a genuine, earlier fat four; or it's an aftermarket bezel insert (assuming it is a genuine LV model).

The latter seems more likely than the former of course, but what do our experts think?

I've read the warnings about green bezel inserts being installed on standard 16610 models to replicate LVs, but wouldn't that also require a dial and hand-set swap for the maxi dial and hands, if that's even possible?

I was tempted to ask for a better photo, but tbh they seemed to struggle and just getting this one was hard work.

Impossible to say much from that image, but given everything is original, the dial and hands are correct for an LV. You could franken a normal 16610 to become LV - but unlikely as this will be a very expensive exercise (if you're lucky to source the parts) and I doubt it's worth it even considering a 1500-2000 GBP LV premium.

You should insist on papers though. I would suggest the dealer to buy a spare link, that's £40 (ish) well spent for getting a Rolex paper.

Edit: I wouldn't buy anything from a dealer that in the year of 2016 cannot take a proper photo.
    Last edited by jonasy; 15th November 2016 at 12:13.

Craftsman
    I have a V serial engraved rehaut and the 4 on that is definitely pointed. I would think that has had a none genuine insert at sometime. Last time I went to St James in London a replacement insert was only £30 and was changer there and then. If the watch is legitimately an LV it will say so between the lugs. Get them to pop off the bracelet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A 2008 model would have a non-fat 4 insert. Mine is from 2008 and has a pointed 4, it also has the engraved rehaut, however, I think 2007/08 the rehaut might be there or might not be there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by t955daytona View Post
    If the watch is legitimately an LV it will say so between the lugs.
    Simply wrong. It will not.

Check your own V-serial......either I'm right, or you're holding a fake :-)

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 15th November 2016 at 12:47.

Master
    Last time I went to St James in London a replacement insert was only £30 and was changer there and then.
    Was this for an LV insert? They will usually do it for standard aluminium inserts (black Sub, GMT etc) but a green LV bezel has for a long time incurred a much greater cost and usually only in tandem with a service. If they would do an insert swap alone for anything under £100 I'll have my messengers doing the London trip more often!

Haywood

Master
    The bezel could be aftermarket.

From my understanding by researching before buying, all LV hang tags will say 16610 LV in the bottom left corner (case number top centre and bracelet reference bottom right).

Punched papers will reference the model in the top right (when folded in the leather wallet, case number top left), this was 16610 or 16610V or 16610LV. I assume that the same would be true on the plastic card that replaced punched papers.

The only way to make sure a watch with or without papers is kosher is to send it in for a RSC service, even if you dont take the service further the receipt paper work will reference LV. Presumably if its a franken they will advise you.

I have a V serial engraved rehaut and the 4 on that is definitely pointed. I would think that has had a none genuine insert at sometime. Last time I went to St James in London a replacement insert was only £30 and was
    changer there and then. If the watch is legitimately an LV it will say so between the lugs. Get them to pop off the bracelet.
    My LV has 16610T not LV inbetween the lugs. It is my understanding that they are all like this. Currently the replacement bezel, exchange only was quoted at £421.62 and you had to replace the assembly.

Master
    How do you even take a picture of such low quality?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post

My LV has 16610T not LV inbetween the lugs. It is my understanding that they are all like this.
    I gather the T indicates it does not have drilled lugs.

p.s. you sent some info my way by PM a little while ago about the LV which has been a help while searching so thank you :)

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Was this for an LV insert? They will usually do it for standard aluminium inserts (black Sub, GMT etc) but a green LV bezel has for a long time incurred a much greater cost and usually only in tandem with a service. If they would do an insert swap alone for anything under £100 I'll have my messengers doing the London trip more often!

Haywood
    Got to agree with this, I think somewhere in the order of £300 inclusive of VAT and fitting on an exchange basis is nearer the mark.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clemenry View Post
    Got to agree with this, I think somewhere in the order of £300 inclusive of VAT and fitting on an exchange basis is nearer the mark.
    There is another LV thread with a recent bezel change, I can't remember the name of the poster but it is more than £300 all in; they charge £50 for fitting it.

Not Glasgow WoS is it?

I saw a very similar watch there.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    In my hunt for a Sub LV, a heads-up lead me to a bricks and mortar dealers Ooop north.

They're selling a 2008 16610LV; box, no papers. On request they sent me through a few photos of the watch and the quality's really poor, but for a 2008 engraved rehaut LV that bezel insert does not appear to be correct (looks like a fat four?!). So either the previous owner swapped the original bezel for a genuine, earlier fat four; or it's an aftermarket bezel insert (assuming it is a genuine LV model).

The latter seems more likely than the former of course, but what do our experts think?

I've read the warnings about green bezel inserts being installed on standard 16610 models to replicate LVs, but wouldn't that also require a dial and hand-set swap for the maxi dial and hands, if that's even possible?

I was tempted to ask for a better photo, but tbh they seemed to struggle and just getting this one was hard work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Not Glasgow WoS is it?

I saw a very similar watch there.
    I don't think they do pre-owned - only a few of the WoS branches do. Might have been a 116610LV Hulk?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Where "oop north"

Anywhere near Manchester?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Haywood
    I stand corrected in regards to the number between the lugs, always thought it would say LV. Yes, the price was for an LV bezel. Actually £29.50 I think although they kept the damaged one. It was in 2010/11 so maybe thing have changed since.

Blog Entries

I'm sure I've seen this watch advertised somewhere if my memory serves me right and it's a hookey insert

Master
    WoS in Glasgow don't do used watches these days. I looked at a 2008 Kermit in Chisholm Hunter in the Argyle Arcade but it had no papers, so I left it.

The guys in the shop just seemed a little keen for me to be interested in it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I looked at a 2008 Kermit in Chisholm Hunter in the Argyle Arcade but it had no papers, so I left it.
    Bingo. Although Barclays Diamonds, which I think is part of or belongs to Chisholm?

Ah yes, that was it, sorry, in the arcade.
    It was advertised originally as a "2002 LV" when I saw it.
    I told them that was unlikely as the model came out in 2003!
    I noticed the flat 4 insert originally, pointed out it was wrong for the watch.
    They were hopeless tbh.
    My guess would be an aftermarket insert.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    WoS in Glasgow don't do used watches these days. I looked at a 2008 Kermit in Chisholm Hunter in the Argyle Arcade but it had no papers, so I left it.

The guys in the shop just seemed a little keen for me to be interested in it.