closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Three Peaks - Anyone Done It? Any Tips?

Three Peaks - Anyone Done It? Any Tips?

Evening all. I’m doing the Three Peaks in august, with my mate who is doing it for a stroke charity that has recently been looking after his brother who unfortunately had a severe stroke at 46.

For anyone who’s not aware, it’s a climb of Ben Nevis, then Scaffell Pike, then Snowden, in 24 hours, traveling to one after the other, kipping in the van between them (SP is an overnight climb). I’ve read all the website stuff of do’s and dont's, equipment needed etc but don’t know anybody that’s done it so thought I’d ask if anyone had any experience or real world feedback? Cheers.

My daughter did it a few years back, extremely tough. Not just the climbs, but hundreds of miles between each site and climbing and coming down in the dark. She is physically fit, but found it hard.

Plenty of planning and tons of training required.

Good luck.

Haven’t done the 3, but I can say at 50 Nevis gave my knees a right battering. Hundreds of steps on the way down took their toll. Scafell wasn’t so bad.

Master
    If you're going in August take plenty of fluids. There's no need to rush the climbs, you have plenty of time and none of them are hard.

Which ever one you do in the dark will be demoralising - I did Scafel Pike in the dark and it was completely crap.

Get a mate / third party who isnt climbing to do the driving.

Other than that, have fun and and raise money for an important cause.

Master
    Hard to give targeted advice without knowing previous hill experience and current level of fitness.

All are easy walks on paper, but weather can alter that dramatically. Take your ‘if shit hits the fan’ clothing even if the forecast is mild, and take the opportunities to re-fuel while travelling.

Good luck with it.

Did it in 23hs 40ms in 2011

The 3Ps

• Planning
    • Poles
    • Porridge

Good luck and don't make it too serious as you won't 'enjoy' it.

Wouldn't like to be on SP when the weather changes its mood, at any time of day, let alone at night.

i you have not done it already then would strongly advise testing the boots and socks you intend to use by doing long hike / climb for many hours.

worst thing ever is to find out half way through the 3 peaks that you are getting blistered to hell and have to quit

Searching around I found this group that does the Scafell Pike At Night bit on its own: https://www.charitychallenge.com/exp...-Pike-at-Night
    The groups herded up and down the mountain are 100–400 people each.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have carried out the driving on four occasions for a couple of various teams and that let me tell you it is hard. You would not believe how hard the drive is when you get off the Motorway going into the lakes with a Minibus, also you will more than likely do it in the dark one of the ways. We always went in June for maximum daylight. The car parks at all the venues are extremely busy. All the groups I drove, did it in under 23hrs
    Last edited by hilly10; Yesterday at 07:30.

Master
    I did it about 10 years ago with a group of mixed-ability in a minibus.

Was an absolute nightmare 

2 got lost on Nevis and put us back a couple of hours.

I can't sleep unless I'm tucked up in a nice bed.

We got to Snowdon with about an hour left of the 24 hours so a few of us decided to run it.

A couple of the lads we went with are fell runners so I was trying to hang onto them, but running up hills has never been a strong point of mine.

Got to the top about 30 mins over the time limit a broken man. Very annoying.

Anyway, my advice would be:

Do it in a small group
    Do it in a car
    Be prepared for no sleep
    Take it less seriously than I did and try to have fun.
    Last edited by bigweb; Yesterday at 09:22.

Hi all, thanks for the info and feedback, very useful.

Yes should’ve mentioned existing fitness levels, I’m 44, within normal BMI and can run 10k in under an hour. Recently did a 26 mile hill trek in the Lakes, coach kids football so would say I’m in ok shape. Plus, have 5 months still to train, which will include doing the ‘other’ 3 Peaks here in Yorkshire where I live.

Will definitely be making sure my boots are broken in. Wasn’t sure about the walking poles but sounds like they would be a useful thing to have? We have a third party driving and acting as a guide, which should make things more straightforward.

Sounds like with the weather, overnight climb and lack of sleep it’s as much a mental endurance test as a physical one, maybe more. Am not taking it too seriously - I’ll train hard, but I mean I’m doing it with two good childhood mates and we just wanna do it, have a laugh together and raise some money for a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Did it in 23hs 40ms in 2011

The 3Ps

• Planning
    • Poles
    • Porridge

Good luck and don't make it too serious as you won't 'enjoy' it.
    Not on the three peaks, but I’ve been in sideways torrential rain on SP trying to guide a team of 10 who can’t (refuse) to hear/listen to what you are instructing because of the situation.
    When shlt is hitting you in the face so hard, people (panicked) are starting to try and take control, your senses go in to overdrive and somehow you regain control and work stuff out.

Not something I would (could) want to be involved in again.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; Today at 02:16.

Master
    Poles are definitely a good addition for ascending and descending but you need to practice with them beforehand.

Master
    Never done the 3 Peaks but I live in the Lakes so do plenty of fell walking. As has been mentioned, take gear for the worst weather even in summer. Amazing how many people set off to the top of SP, Skiddaw etc in shorts and t shirt as it's a nice day.......until they get to the top where the weather closes in and they find themselves soaked through and freezing. I was walking up Catbells the other week and somebody was walking down in a pair of sliders!! Not a hard walk but sliders.....really🙄Well broken in boots, decent socks (and spares) decent comfortable rucksack, plenty of fluids, layer up and enjoy.

Master
    I found that a decent set of hiking poles are a game-changer, especially for the descent. Made the Everest base camp trek much easier and will really help, especially on SP which I’ve always found to be a bit of a slog. Good luck and enjoy

Completed it last year with a group of 18 travelling in two minibuses. I am early 50's and found it physically manageable, but mentally it's tough. Leaving the minibus in the rain at 4.30 am in the dark to walk up SP, guided by a head torch was awful. The elation when you reach the peaks makes it worth it, the group was buzzing after completing BN which was intoxicating because, until that point, we all had doubts about our ability to complete the challenge.

If you can run 10km in under an hour and have good walking fitness then you will be fine. I walk 45km a week and in the three months leading up to the challenge increased my hill walking and in the week prior, did a 14km walk up a local 600m peak every day for a week. This was as much for my mental preparation as it was for fitness.

Good lightweight hiking boots and socks are key to success. A good head torch, some energy foods, two changes of clothes, a lightweight waterproof and you will be fine. We did all three peaks in light rain in late August and I found grip coming down BN and SP difficult at times so grippy boots are critical, I slipped a few times but luckily got away with it :(

I read the first few chapters of Tim Jarvis's book 'One Unforgiving Minute' to motivate me for what was ahead, the suffering he endured makes what you are about to do seem trivial, and was a great motivator for me.

Good luck, prepare well and you will be fine.

Grand Master
    I`ve never done it myself, my wife did it many years ago, but I`ve done the Yorkshire 3 peaks a couple of times and that was tough enough on the joints and feet.

Personally it wouldn't appeal to me, each to their own, but if I was to do it I`d ensure it was during late June/early July to get the maximum daylight and a good chance of dry conditions underfoot, that could make a huge difference. Definitely master the use of a stick for the downhills where it's rough underfoot, that can save you from falling, a lesson I`ve learned the hard way. Train up for it, get as fit as possible and do a few long hilly walks.

Doing the Yorkshire 3 peaks then going to the pub afterwards seems far more appealing.

Did it but cycled between the three.

Did it for charity with some friends in 2019. We cycled between the peaks, staying in various campsites and had a support team in vans carrying our stuff, obviously there wasn't the time limit in this case and we went up all peaks first thing in the morning.

The peaks themselves were the easy bit if I am honest. I would just say make sure you have a good weather window, all three can be difficult if the weather is poor otherwise there's masses of useful info out there and indeed above in this thread.

Master
    I've supported on it, we used a 9 seater mini bus for a team of 4, plus driver and me as general support, meant the driver could get a rest when the guys were walking, it also meant that as soon as they got back to the mini bus a hot drink and hot food were available.
    The support role was suggested by one of our group who has done it multiple times.