closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cat deterrents…

Master

Cat deterrents…

In our new house there are a few cats which roam around up and down the street, keeps the mice away so i don’t mind them.

But just today I’ve bought an outdoor dining set, and I know they’ll try to make themselves comfy for the night (it’s under cover and they’ve spent the odd night already)

So the question is.. what is a good deterrent? I don’t want bottles of water sitting around and the Beretta would be going too far ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    In our new house there are a few cats which roam around up and down the street, keeps the mice away so i don’t mind them.

But just today I’ve bought an outdoor dining set, and I know they’ll try to make themselves comfy for the night (it’s under cover and they’ve spent the odd night already)

So the question is.. what is a good deterrent? I don’t want bottles of water sitting around and the Beretta would be going too far ;-)
    A dog ??

I bought a couple of these doo-hickies to try and stop the neighbour’s Maine coons from shitting in the middle of my back grass.

So-far - they seem to be working.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CY83SZ...roduct_details

Can you put a cover over the dining set in the evening?

There isn't much that will deter a cat, except bigger cats, dogs and water.

I've heard lion poo works, but…

Maybe you could borrow a Golden Eagle?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I bought a couple of these doo-hickies to try and stop the neighbour’s Maine coons from shitting in the middle of my back grass.

So-far - they seem to be working.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CY83SZ...roduct_details
    The size of those things it can’t be far off the size of a human sh*te.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    A dog ??
    A dog can actually have the opposite effect. After 14 years, we had to put our best mate to sleep in January.

For 2 years before this, the neighbour’s cat was shitting in our garden. Since poor Boris is no longer with us, the cat has stopped shitting all over our garden space.

Cats are territorial little fuckers. I’ll be honest, I hate cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electronic sonic gizmo, there are loads available

Try put spraying some jif lemon juice around, they don’t like that by all accounts.

My wife made us get two cats, recused them at 18 months, pair of brothers. They have very lovely personalities, affectionate and the kids love them, but one of them is a swine for hunting - we have open land behind us and he brings home a mouse or a bird near enough every day. The other day he got up in the trees and had a massive wood pigeon, brought it home swinging by its neck, it was as big as him. My patio is turning into an animal morgue! These feckers live 15+ years as well, oh joy.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Try put spraying some jif lemon juice around, they don’t like that by all accounts.
    How much lemon juice to cover a garden?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife made us get two cats, recused them at 18 months, pair of brothers. They have very lovely personalities, affectionate and the kids love them, but one of them is a swine for hunting - we have open land behind us and he brings home a mouse or a bird near enough every day. The other day he got up in the trees and had a massive wood pigeon, brought it home swinging by its neck, it was as big as him. My patio is turning into an animal morgue! These feckers live 15+ years as well, oh joy.
    Can you put a bell on his collar to alert the wildlife to his presence?

Why do you think a catapult is so named?

So clever my foot fell off.

Orange peel (put in an open container). We have sprinkled spent coffee grounds on the lawn along the fence, which has has helped.

There was a stack of Nerf guns for sale on SC. 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Orange peel (put in an open container). We have sprinkled spent coffee grounds on the lawn along the fence, which has has helped.

There was a stack of Nerf guns for sale on SC. 😂
    A closed container would be a challenge lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    A closed container would be a challenge lol.
    Or scatter on OPs new dining set.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Can you put a bell on his collar to alert the wildlife to his presence?
    He doesn’t have a collar, I did suggest to my wife to do that but she was against it, apparently collars are a risk to them, they’re not meant to wear them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Why is that a problem? Just brush off any stray hairs before you sit down

He doesn’t have a collar, I did suggest to my wife to do that but she was against it, apparently collars are a risk to them, they’re not meant to wear them.
    Elastic insert (you could even call it an "elastic deployant" )

I think the gizmos I bought off Amazon do work - with the Maine Coones who live across the road. No sign of any monster-landmines since I installed them (and that was only 3 days after the latest ground offensive)

No need to harm cats, unless you are prepared for someone to 'harm' what is dear to you.............

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Why do you think a catapult is so named?

Anyone putting forward the idea of using a catapult on a cat needs to seriously look at themselves.
    Many cats are injured and suffer horribly because of idiots with catapults and airguns.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Fixed collars can be a risk of getting caught on something but I believe collars are available with an easy release to allow escape.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 4th May 2024 at 22:23.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Why is that a problem? Just brush off any stray hairs before you sit down
    And if said cats are wet/ dirty before they lie down? My wife’s also allergic to them, so there’s that too.

Can confirm lemon juice doesn’t work, so have ordered an ultrasonic jobbie!

Journeyman
    Hi

The 'easy-release' ones certainly do 'release-easy' - our Cat seems to loose them very regular.........worth have several spares to hand and none too fancy (expensive?) either....just sayin'

L-K

Craftsman
    Super Soaker

Master
    Moth deterent in small 30mm bags, B&Q etc stock this, they don’t like the smell, several packets scattered around kept them away from flower patch and so went elsewhere to sh*t.

Craftsman
    If the cats are climbing over a fence (or fences) to get into your garden, try these:-

https://oscillot.uk/#:~:text=Oscillo...%20maintenance.

so a cat/s is sitting on your chair when you are not there and its a problem? - sounds territorial - buy a loadhailer and shout at the cat through it to assert your dominance ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    so a cat/s is sitting on your chair when you are not there and its a problem? - sounds territorial - buy a loadhailer and shout at the cat through it to assert your dominance ?
    Yeah I don’t want them on the new soft furnishings. That’s the point of the thread.