closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Gaming Thread

The Big Gaming Thread

Just reading the PSA on Xbox series S and it struck me as there being lots of knowledge on the forum that would be useful for a wider audience to get involved in and many can’t see Sales Corner.

So here’s a thread for all gaming related chat.

To kick off has anyone seen the PSVR2 announcement? I like the look and sound of the new controllers but I think VR optics have a way to go yet.

I’m a PS player generally and have been since the PS1. I’m on the PS4 Pro now and haven’t felt the need to upgrade. I’m guessing at some point there will be a mid life upgrade so wondering if I should wait. My TV would need replacing I think to get the most out of a PS5 so it starts looking like an expensive upgrade.

What about dedicated monitors, does anyone play their PS5 or Xbox Series on a dedicated monitor rather than a TV?

Discuss 👍🏻

Xbox Series X here. I have it in the bedroom and got a Samsung UHD telly from Argos for around £400 and it looks amazing on it.

What I find is the framerate (60hz but sometimes 100hz) in Ultra High Definition makes a much more immersive playing experience. Not that much out yet that is compelling although Assassins Creed Valhalla was superb.

I was going to make this thread so you beat me to it. I was not expecting so much traffic on my PSA thread and think it needs a thread of its own

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Xbox Series X here. I have it in the bedroom and got a Samsung UHD telly from Argos for around £400 and it looks amazing on it.

What I find is the framerate (60hz but sometimes 100hz) in Ultra High Definition makes a much more immersive playing experience. Not that much out yet that is compelling although Assassins Creed Valhalla was superb.
    I’ve read a fair bit and even though the PS4 Pro is 4K ready, I think my focus is more on frame rate for a monitor/tv as the types of game I like to play are fast action with lots going on.

To be fair though I get just as much please urge playing my SNES and N64!!

Master
    I got the xbox x and to be honest I'm wondering why.
    The games I'm currently playing on it are all xbox ONE titles, the framerate isn't noticeably better, it's no quieter or prettier... I'm wishing I held off another 6 months really.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    The games I'm currently playing on it are all xbox ONE titles, the framerate isn't noticeably better, it's no quieter or prettier... I'm wishing I held off another 6 months really.
    I already had a gamepass ultimate subscription so just went for the xbox all access deal at £28.99 a month. Game Pass Ultimate and a series X sorted. I previously had an OG xbox one so the difference in performance and the redustion in noise is good.

The Bethesda back catalogue is keeping me busy right now and Outriders come to GP on day one is a bonus. Its definitley not for everyone but I'm enjoying it.

I have a PS4 Pro but have barely touched it due to owning a Switch and being more interested in my collection of older consoles. I have just swapped out my Dreamcast's (owned since release day!) GDRom drive for a GDEmu which basically drops right in and allows you to load games off an SD card.
    I also have my original PlayStation in bits in preparation for a similar operation. That one's a bit more complicated as it requires some soldering to get it fitted but I enjoy that sort of stuff anyway!

I'll grab a PS5 at some point but I'll wait until the games catalogue fills out a bit with stuff that I might be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    I have a PS4 Pro but have barely touched it due to owning a Switch and being more interested in my collection of older consoles. I have just swapped out my Dreamcast's (owned since release day!) GDRom drive for a GDEmu which basically drops right in and allows you to load games off an SD card.
    I also have my original PlayStation in bits in preparation for a similar operation. That one's a bit more complicated as it requires some soldering to get it fitted but I enjoy that sort of stuff anyway!

I'll grab a PS5 at some point but I'll wait until the games catalogue fills out a bit with stuff that I might be interested in.
    I missed the Dreamcast but am contemplating a Jap console.

What other retro stuff have you got? My list is:

OG Megadrive
    N64
    SNES
    OG Game Boy
    Game Boy Advance
    PS2 Slim
    PS3
    PS4 Pro
    OG PSP
    SNES Mini
    Megadrive Mini
    PS1 Mini
    NES Mini

Plus an assortment of games!

Nice collection! I currently have:
    Mega Drive/Mega CD/32X,
    SNES
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    PlayStation
    PlayStation One
    PlayStation 2 (modded with chip and HDD)
    PlayStation 3
    PlayStation 4 & Pro
    PS Vita x2
    OG Xbox (modded)
    XBox 360 x2 (one region modded)
    Nintendo Wii U
    Nintendo Switch
    Home made supergun for JAMMA stuff

Used to have a PC Engine with the CD ROM but collecting for it is just preposterous if you want the good games, so expensive!

Craftsman
    Upgraded just before Christmas from the PS4 Pro to PS5. I really like the upgraded user interface but I’m not much of a fan of the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Big Gaming Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Upgraded just before Christmas from the PS4 Pro to PS5. I really like the upgraded user interface but I’m not much of a fan of the design.

Quite the opposite here!

The game I play, won’t be getting a PS5 version for at least another 18 months, but I just couldn’t resist the look of it. Absolutely love PS5 disk design!

Last edited by Toshk; 24th March 2021 at 22:53.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

TV Hz nothing to do with Frames per Second. What this next gen consoles will eventually deliver.

I've got both a PS5 and Xbox Series X and the best thing about them I find is the reduced load times and also the quick resume feature.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I have to agree with this, I caved in after Christmas and got one off facebook market place for £500 - £50 more than RRP, was playing lots of vahalla at the time and looked forward to a big improvement but it did not happen. The games load much faster and do look a little better but not by a lot. I have a decent TV a sony xe9005 which can not use the full power of the xbox.

I did have a nice collection of N64 games and 2 consoles which somehow got lost in my move a few years ago, most annoying was the golden eye disk had all of the hidden cheats unlocked. It took hundreds of attempts to do the facility one, was like a robot towards the end! that was a good game way back when

I'm guessing that TV isn't ultra high definition as I played valhalla on Xbox One and then on Xbox series x and the difference is massive as long as the TV is high definition

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Quite the opposite here!

The game I play, won’t be getting a PS5 version for at least another 18 months, but I just couldn’t resist the look of it. Absolutely love PS5 disk design!

I think that might be a bit of a restrictive space for airflow as they can get pretty warm.

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    I think that might be a bit of a restrictive space for airflow as they can get pretty warm.
    So far no issue, but I don’t really play more than hour or so, two three times a week.

I have a PS5 Digital which I got in February. So far I've been really happy with it. I've mostly played AC Valhalla and latterly I've put 30+ hours into Ghost of Tsushima. These titles both benefit from the 60fps they get on the PS5. Ghost in particular looks stunning. I've got the updated Spider-Man and Miles Morales games which I'm going to play next. I gave the God of War update a brief test. That also looks amazing in 4K60. It's a shame I've finished that game otherwise I'd have jumped right into that. The selection fo 20 games you get for free when you buy the console with a PS Plus account is a nice bonus too.

I'm pretty much always a generation behind.

Been happily using my old XBox 360 for years, but got my son a One S Xmas before last and i was smitten. Hoped to grab myself a cheap OneX last year when the price dropped ahead of the X Series release, but lockdown and supply issues hit stock and i couldn't get one anywhere, even at full price. Managed to get one in the end back in Oct and loving it, especially with game pass ultimate.

Playing little bits of lots of games at the moment. Just finished the single player campaign on Star Wars Battlefront 2 and have just started Squadrons. Also quite like a quick blast on Fortnite and Plants vs Zombies. Loved Oblivion and Skyrim and have Elder scrolls online, but not got into it yet, probably for the best as i think that would suck up a lot of hours that i don't really have.

Almost the same as you Brighty however I normally wait a year or so for a few more games to come out and assess reliability before deciding.

I’m currently on the fence with building a gaming PC but see the assigned budget get obliterated every time I look 😭

Master
    So far no issue, but I don’t really play more than hour or so, two three times a week.
    It probably isn't ideal for the longer term but you could always add some ventilation holes behind. Luckily the PS5 intakes from the front and sends it out the back so it is not recycling hot air. A Series X would probably struggle in there horizontally.

Master
    I've come from a Sony 4K HDR tv / Xbox One X to a a LG OLED 48CX / Series X. I'm very happy with the Series X improvements. I got the LG about a month after the Series X and it is the quality of life improvements from the SSD that are the main improvement. But at this point a lot of the games I play have also now have had improvements in looks or framerate. I am fortunate to now be able to play at 120fps in some games and that also has far more impact than I thought it would.

Been a gamer for years, although very much a casual one these days, a couple of hours a week max. With 3 teenage children in the house our console list is quite impressive.(not all in use mind)

PS1 Jap version bought on release, had to have it!
    Dreamcast
    N64 x 2
    Mini NES, SNES, Megadrive, PS1
    PS3
    PS4
    Gameboy advance SP x2
    PSP x 2
    DS x 2
    3DS x3
    OG XBOX
    Xbox 360
    XBOX one
    XBOX One S
    XBOX One X
    XBOX Series X
    Wii U
    Wii
    Switch x 3
    Switch lite
    RG350 x2

Owned a few of the others not listed, Atari 2600 (first 2 weeks pay packets paid for it), Saturn, NES, SNES, PS2 etc but no longer in my possession.

Boxes of games for all console types scattered around the house, kids bedrooms, lounge, spare room, loft etc

And here I am considering a Series S or a PS5...

Drives my wife mad :)

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    It probably isn't ideal for the longer term but you could always add some ventilation holes behind. Luckily the PS5 intakes from the front and sends it out the back so it is not recycling hot air. A Series X would probably struggle in there horizontally.
    There is a big round opening at the back for cabling. And a good 80mm space behind the console.

Craftsman
    There is a big round opening at the back for cabling. And a good 80mm space behind the console.
    Granted I use mine a lot but it is in a much larger space than yours and still gets hot.

https://youtu.be/MmggkW6usmQ

Journeyman
    Any pc gamers here? Or is that one ripe for a new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom91 View Post
    I'm a member of the PC Master Race.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm a member of the PC Master Race.
    Very funny!

My PC gaming revolves around racing sims using a Rift S.

I’ve never got into the Hitman series. At the moment there is a Hitman 3 free starter pack available to download for the PS5 (and other platforms). It lets you play older content using the new engine so I downloaded it and am playing the Hitman 1 levels I got free with PS+ a year or so ago. I’ve also bought Hitman 2 in the Spring Sale with an 80% discount which can also be played in the Hitman 3 starter pack. I’ll pick up Hitman 3 when that is reduced more than the current 25% (after I’ve finished 1 and 2).

Yes, for many years. Mainly stuff like Anno these days. My online FPS days are long behind me now!

Thinking of getting the re-release of Star Wars Republic Commando for the PS4/PS5 that has just come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Thinking of getting the re-release of Star Wars Republic Commando for the PS4/PS5 that has just come out.
    I saw that, I might give it a go, plus my son is mad on Star Wars games! Only £11.99. Was the original release good? It’s not one I played.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I saw that, I might give it a go, plus my son is mad on Star Wars games! Only £11.99. Was the original release good? It’s not one I played.
    I never played the original but from what I have read, it is one of the most highly respected Star Wars games. You can't really go wrong for £11.99.

Started playing Doom Eternal today on a PC on a 27" 2K Dell Ultrasharp.

I prefer it to the 2016 Doom game, i just couldnt get on with that one even though i started it a few times.

Not sure why but i think Eternal is an improvement even though many fans prefer the 2016 one.

I am using an xbox control but i have a feeling the aiming would be much easier with a mouse so will try that when more used to the game in general.

Master
    So many closet gamers on here!

Glad to see it because I'm one of them. Gone from a Spectrum 128k to a PS5 and everything in between and can't see me stopping any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Started playing Doom Eternal today on a PC on a 27" 2K Dell Ultrasharp.

I prefer it to the 2016 Doom game, i just couldnt get on with that one even though i started it a few times.

Not sure why but i think Eternal is an improvement even though many fans prefer the 2016 one.

I am using an xbox control but i have a feeling the aiming would be much easier with a mouse so will try that when more used to the game in general.
    I've just downloaded this from Steam on my PC. It's so dark I can hardly see where to go. Have adjusted the brightness levels but hasn't helped. Thinking about a refund. It was the same with Metro Exodus.

Craftsman
    I’m playing Returnal on PS5 at the moment, really enjoying it but it’s super hard and frustrating with no standard save points.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I've just downloaded this from Steam on my PC. It's so dark I can hardly see where to go. Have adjusted the brightness levels but hasn't helped. Thinking about a refund. It was the same with Metro Exodus.
    have you tried adjusting the options in the game and the screen.

i really dont find it that all that dark and was finding my way around ok following the objectives and using the map

have you tried adjusting the options in the game and the screen.

i really dont find it that all that dark and was finding my way around ok following the objectives and using the map
    I've tried everything I can think of. Maybe I need a new screen. It is rather old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I've tried everything I can think of. Maybe I need a new screen. It is rather old.
    The screen can make a big difference, ID games always have been a bit dark though so im not sure how much it will help.

The Metro games are certianly dark, they are too much for me.

Saw the PS5 in CEX today, first time I’ve seen one in the flesh, not the most aesthetically pleasing are they?!

I continue to spend too much time on CoD mobile(anyone else on there?) I’m also losing hours to the Battlefield V campaign on PS4…2am on the Nordsk mission the other night 😳

The screen can make a big difference, ID games always have been a bit dark though so im not sure how much it will help.

The Metro games are certianly dark, they are too much for me.
    I'm an idiot. I'll be the first to admit. I went into Doom again and found that the default Gamma setting was almost zero. I increased it to full and it's made a HUGE difference. Much better. You live and learn. Or die, as in my case. Some serious blasting tonight. :)

Given up on the PS5 until next year. Gone back to my PS1 and Saturn and thoroughly enjoying replaying some classics and sampling some games I never got to try back in the day.

The MW issues are really winding me up. I've reinstalled the entire game 3x now which isn't a quick task and still some of the multiplayer maps won't load due to the infamous "transmission error". Anyone else suffering the same? I've tried removing certain packs and no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Saw the PS5 in CEX today, first time I’ve seen one in the flesh, not the most aesthetically pleasing are they?!

I continue to spend too much time on CoD mobile(anyone else on there?) I’m also losing hours to the Battlefield V campaign on PS4…2am on the Nordsk mission the other night 😳
    CoD mobile all the way.... Not sure if I'll bother with another console tbh.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post
    CoD mobile all the way.... Not sure if I'll bother with another console tbh.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    +1. Love COD mobile. But as my eyesight fades with old age it becomes harder to spot the enemy…

Having grown up with spectrum in the 80s it’s amazing the sort of game you can now carry in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    +1. Love COD mobile. But as my eyesight fades with old age it becomes harder to spot the enemy…

Having grown up with spectrum in the 80s it’s amazing the sort of game you can now carry in your pocket.
    I played a bit of COD mobile during the first lockdown last year. Great mobile game. I only stopped as it was too easy to end up having 30 mins coffee breaks during work hours. I also prefer playing on Warzone with a proper controller.

Nowadays I play with a PS4 Pro with the hard drive upgraded to SSD. I haven’t bothered with the PS5 yet, maybe in a year or so. When the sequel to Sniper Elite 4 comes out I’ll dive in for sure, as I play mostly SE4.

Craftsman
    PC Gamer here, running a trusty GeForce GTX 1070Ti, from Nov 2018.

Has anyone had any experience upgrading to the new NVidia cards? If so, firstly, how the h*ll did you manage to buy one?

Actually, I am quite happy with the 1070 for now; currently I am playing AC Valhalla. I suspect if I did somehow manage to get something like a 3070, I would need to upgrade my 600w PSU too. My current set-up is very stable, and from past experience with upgrades, once you change one thing it has a knock-on effect - what was a stable build starts to BSOD etc all over the place.