closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1967 Doxa Sub 300t - has value risen like other divers?

1967 Doxa Sub 300t - has value risen like other divers?

I only ask as I came across one on eBay ending for a significant sum:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1967...YAAOSw9IpXyxsq

Especially that the description/video leaves a little to be desired in terms of originality - ie pretty significant polishing, re-luming etc. There is generally more interest in these in the US of course.

I've had mine (pics below) for a few years and I'm always in two minds about getting the crystal replaced or even letting it go, pics below. It really is very much totally original and untouched:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...a-vintage-etc)

And five years on those are still my two watches of any value - with a trio of G Shocks making up the 'collection. ;)
    Last edited by Max...; 9th November 2016 at 15:07.

Blimey, still not much Doxa love on here then......?

Well I'd love to have one like yours, but can't comment on the value except to wish that they were a little less :).

I took an interest a little while back. Not so keen on the modern ones, nice watches but just not for me. A couple of people on the forum have original ones like yours if I recall correctly.

The true original Doxa company is interesting as well, but that's a different story.

Something strange going on with this one, or the seller got very, very lucky!! A no "T" plexi 300 black lung would be in this price range but nothing too rare about this example given the polished condition and missing bracelet.

Prices have risen over th last few years for sure. My very first 300 cost £450.00 and there were plenty to choose from on ebay. Last few cost over 1k. Even a good condition bracelet can fetch over £500.

That's a good point. I've never worn the bracelet personally as I prefer Natos and the best price would probably be achieved by splitting. Feels a bit unethical though.

Agreed the price did seem very high.

Anyone hazard a guess to the value of mine complete as per pics in OP?

And anyone know who might be able to supply an acrylic crystal for mine (fully aware they were mineral glass but I prefer the look of acrylic)?

Love them !

The prices do seem to have risen over the years but you can still find the odd bargain if you look hard enough
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Here is mine I got a 4-6 years ago on fleabay think I paid $800.00 US for it with the bracelet just the bracelet today worth 800 on fleabay that's crazy.

But there still deals out there like some one said you just got to be there at the right time and another 800 deal will pop up see ebay listing below was not me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doxa-Sub-300...p2047675.l2557

Very nice collection Simon, I've not tried mine on a rubber but looks good there. I love the orange face but sometimes think a vintage black Sharkhunter would be a but more wearable.

I picked mine up from a lady in the US - she quite happily told me she bought it at a yard sale for $20!

I had to pay a little more (!) as she knew fully what it was but did OK considering today's values and I love the fact it is 100% original. I should get it serviced really but it runs beautifully and last time I checked went for 48 hrs. Who services yours?

Last edited by Max...; 10th November 2016 at 15:42.

I get mine serviced by a local horologist but only if they need it, as long as they work I leave them well alone !

BTW, you need to clean the bezel next to the crystal, my OCD is kicking in !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    I hate you all! :p

I've also noticed that they tend to be pretty damn expensive these days. I've been trying to find a good example of one of the originals but those I've come across were too much for me to justify at the time, and alas they've just gone up and up since it would seem. Only "good" deals I've seen of late have all been for the modern variants, 1500T etc, or had aftermarket bracelet/strap, which don't really do it for me. I'm a huge Clive Cussler fan, so I'd just love to have an original 300t.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I hate you all! :p

I've also noticed that they tend to be pretty damn expensive these days. I've been trying to find a good example of one of the originals but those I've come across were too much for me to justify at the time, and alas they've just gone up and up since it would seem. Only "good" deals I've seen of late have all been for the modern variants, 1500T etc, or had aftermarket bracelet/strap, which don't really do it for me. I'm a huge Clive Cussler fan, so I'd just love to have an original 300t.
    They are not that uncommon or expensive in relative terms and definitely keep an eye on the US forums and US eBay as much more findable there obviously. I know how you feel though as I regret so much not picking up a Tudor Snowflake a few years back when they were 50% of the price now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    They are not that uncommon or expensive in relative terms and definitely keep an eye on the US forums and US eBay as much more findable there obviously. I know how you feel though as I regret so much not picking up a Tudor Snowflake a few years back when they were 50% of the price now.
    For me the expense comes down to the fact that I would not actually wear it very often at all so it has been hard to justify the purchase. As you have stated, a black one would be far more versatile (I'm not a fan of shouty watches for every day wear) but alas it is the orange one which holds a special appeal to me.

I sold mine this year Max. Never great splitting the bracelet but the market seems to dictate the higher prices aren't realised when advertising as a package. There are so many loose watches out there that have suffered from lost and broken BOR, owners are happy to pay the premium for the increasingly rare strap to complete their sets.

Sold 4. Two complete (one even had the original box), the other two I split the bracelets to get my asking price.

Ebay I'd put yours anywhere between £1200 and £1500. I sold a Pro 300 for £850 earlier this year but it did have a few issues although the bracelet was mint.

Oh and to add to the madness......I paid £110 for some mint BOR end links. The ones I had on one were bent quite badly and needed some replacements. I thought they were fit for the bin. 31 bids later on ebay and £89.00 later they were off to a buyer in France who messaged me on receipt to say he was delighted to source a set irrespective of the condition. Guess in the right hands they could be easily repaired but still surprised me.

Regarding your crytsal have a word with Alex at Crystal Times. He did a special order 1:1 saphirre crystal for one of my 300,s. A guy in France also advertises on Ebay with replacements. Not sure whether they can do plexi as opposed to mineral but worth a shot.

Excellent, thanks for all the info. 😊

I traded my silver Sharkhunter to a friend last year - these were misprinted dials from 1967. Not too many survive in the wild. I've only ever seen a couple others listed for sale - one at $1700 and one at $2700. My friend and I agreed to split the difference on the trade value and put it at $2200 (£1770). Hope that helps.

bit a newer one than you have but i still like it !-)

even tho it has been back to doxa twice and to Brendan once to bring it back to life !-)

bought on this very forum many many moons ago from JonW for 4kg high quality bum fluff.

Great to see you still have it Davie! Its such a good looking watch, but the movt issues plagued Doxa I reckon (this one arrived DOA, great quality control, not! LOL!) and I bet there are very few around now. Looks even better with some wear on the bezel too.

I had lots of Doxas over the years, fine watches, especially the older ones, tho I still miss my 750 Carib. sigh...

Master
    I still love mine after 7 years... I paid 950 in 2009 so not exactly cheap...you could easily get a Seamaster for the same price.
    ( just wish I bought more when they were crazy cheap on SC couple of years ago...)

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    Great to see you still have it Davie! Its such a good looking watch, but the movt issues plagued Doxa I reckon (this one arrived DOA, great quality control, not! LOL!) and I bet there are very few around now. Looks even better with some wear on the bezel too.

I had lots of Doxas over the years, fine watches, especially the older ones, tho I still miss my 750 Carib. sigh...
    It has a hard life but an enjoyable one !-) don't think I could ever part with it

IMHO prices are on the rise but the market is still pretty limited. Good bracelets seem to be the fastest sellers remarkably enough.