closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quartz? Rolex quartz.

Quartz? Rolex quartz.

Been pondering on this watch for a while and finally purchased. My love of vintage Rolex is only getting worse. Only given a slight rest with my PP Aquanaut incoming.

The Rolex Oysterquartz ref 17000, mine is dated to 1977 based on the serial number 52.....

My local AD had it serviced by Rolex this year with an eye watering cost of £1916. Thankfully the original dial and hands were kept but it did need a new movement.

The condition is stunning as you would expect and its just beautiful.

A few quick snaps from my phone below.

More pictures will be on my IG @watchbum

Cheers

James

Taken the other day when I was still thinking on it:

Master
    Stunning, one of the nicest looking examples I've seen on the forum. Enjoy it!

Master
    What a beauty! Congratulations on taking the plunge, you won't look back.

Master
    Wow that is a stunner! Eye watering cost as you say, buy just wonderful.

Craftsman
    Peach of a watch. With the original first edition dial.

On the wrist they have a nice heft and presence.

Enjoy.

That's lovely.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing - am absolutely superb watch!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    A real stunner,congrats

Congratulations James, the OQ is one of Rolexes most underrated and interesting watches, imho of course.

Cheers,
    Gary

I missed one a few weeks back on sc.

Criminally underrated (I guess trying to shake off the cheap 'quartz' tag) ot seems to be coming out of the shadows and getting the recognition it deserves

Judging by your love for the aquanaut you also share a love for 70's watches too- a decade of innovation and daring design

Banned
    Congratulations, well done, Sir! You have followed my advice and purchased a watch with a fresh manufacturer service. Very wise.

Banned
    Personally, I think the OysterQuartz is a bland, uninteresting watch, until put on the wrist, when for some reason, it comes alive, which the two wrist shots show.

Nice one James.

Very nice, elegant, perhaps it would be even better without the cyclops but I suppose that is its iconic signature.

That service price is off putting though. What did it need apart from the movement?

Mitch

Master
    It really is a very nice watch to look at!
    As burnsey said it looks even better in the wrist!

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Congratulations James , that's an absolute beauty and the recent service will give peace of mind for years to come. The silver dial is lovely on these and changes colour to look champagne in certain lights.

I'm a big fan of these watches and at the height of the madness had 3 at the same time (black ,silver and blue). Now just the blue remains which will be staying with me as it's a gen 1 dial and recently serviced too. Mine's a 60xxxxx serial which I think is 1979?

Cheers
    Neil

Would love one myself!

surprised they had to replace the whole movement, must have had a hard life!

Master
    Beautiful watch and an excellent photo at the top there - linen + linen.

I hope the AD took some of the service cost pain - I assume you bought it after this was done? If not, commiserations, but it’s as nice an example as I can recall seeing. It’s a watch that doesn’t absorb wear and tear as well as some.

Congratulations - it's beautiful.
    Wouldn't it be great (and an interesting departure) if Rolex did a reissue of Quartz.
    Could it happen?
    As time goes by, I'm favouring quartz more and more over autos.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like the OQ and your example looks lovely.

Master
    I've had a couple. They're probably the most underrated Rolex until you own one. That looks like a great example.

Master
    Mine is later, 89 I think going by memory, so looses out on the earlier dials but keeps the cracking open 6 & 9's

I keep looking at the white and yellow gold versions and I see TT keeps posting images of his old yellow gold version that doen't help in the least.

Thanks for the comments.

Been wearing it all weekend and what has struck me the most is the brilliant bracelet design, its just stunning and you don't really notice it straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Very nice, elegant, perhaps it would be even better without the cyclops but I suppose that is its iconic signature.

That service price is off putting though. What did it need apart from the movement?
    The movement and refurb to the case and bracelet was the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Would love one myself!

surprised they had to replace the whole movement, must have had a hard life!
    The quote said it had moisture damage.

Quote Originally Posted by oristyke View Post
    Congratulations - it's beautiful.
    Wouldn't it be great (and an interesting departure) if Rolex did a reissue of Quartz.
    Could it happen?
    As time goes by, I'm favouring quartz more and more over autos.
    It would be great if they did but then again it would mean these watches wouldn't be as special :)

Cheers

James

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Personally, I think the OysterQuartz is a bland, uninteresting watch, until put on the wrist, when for some reason, it comes alive, which the two wrist shots show.

Nice one James.
    I agree. I think this applies to most of the non- sports Rolex models on Oyster bracets, particularly with silver dials.

Paul

Journeyman
    Love it, have a very similar age one myself which is with Rolex St J for service at the moment as it stopped and a new battery didn't sort...

That is simply beautiful.

Master

Ive been offered one on a black face and would prefer the champagne dial, is it a big no no to change the face and is it a big job????

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Ive been offered one on a black face and would prefer the champagne dial, is it a big no no to change the face and is it a big job????
    It's not a big job.

Personally I think vintage watches should be left original BUT its your watch so if you want too then why not.

Lovely looking watch, I always feel its a pity that Rolex didn't do a quartz diving model, though I guess it was all part of the master plan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    It's not a big job.

Personally I think vintage watches should be left original BUT its your watch so if you want too then why not.
    You have precisely the one I want and its a birth year if you fancy a trade!!!!

You have precisely the one I want and its a birth year if you fancy a trade!!!!
    Funnily enough I have another member who wants it as its a birth year watch fro them too.

Master
    Isn't champagne only for two tone?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Yes it was, well, the (yellow gold) two tone and all gold models were the only versions to have the champagne dial.
    Maybe Robert has been offered a black dial 17013 and prefers the champagne one though?
    One point to note is that if the dial is changed at Rolex then a new Luminova dial would be installed and be marked 'swiss' at the 6 o'clock position.
    Last edited by gmt 16750; 12th December 2016 at 19:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Lovely looking watch, I always feel its a pity that Rolex didn't do a quartz diving model, though I guess it was all part of the master plan.
    The real shame is that they never introduced the quartz perpetual calendar updated OQ.

Master
    I don't think so, there are a lot of champagne dial 17000s out there, just type it into google images.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I don't think so, there are a lot of champagne dial 17000s out there, just type it into google images.
    I suspect there are a lots of owners over the years that have called their faded/discoloured silver or white dial 17000's as having a champagne dial but I don't believe it it was ever a factory option from new (I stand to be corrected though), proper Rolex champagne dials are quite yellow/golden in appearance.
    My trio of days gone by (17014 is long gone nowadays) - the 17000 has a silver dial and the 17013 has a champagne dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    I suspect there are a lots of owners over the years that have called their faded/discoloured silver or white dial 17000's as having a champagne dial but I don't believe it it was ever a factory option from new (I stand to be corrected though), proper Rolex champagne dials are quite yellow/golden in appearance.
    Thanks for clearing that up - for all this time I've been thinking the dial on my 16000 is champagne (my 17000 is blue so no mistaking that). It has a pale gold tint, particularly in the evening that I'd never have discribed as silver. But it's a long way from the yellow gold of your champagne dial on that bimetal.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The real shame is that they never introduced the quartz perpetual calendar updated OQ.

Yes that is a real shame, particularly as by all accounts from what I've read it was ready to be introduced.

The OQ really is a fantastic watch, it's a pity there is virtually no chance that there will ever be another updated OQ introduced.

If you do decide to change then I've got a champagne dial available, SWMBO had it changed for a white with black Roman numerals.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    My champagne dial terminology is wrong as per the post below so it's my mistake but I prefer the slightly off white dial and I've been offered a blackface 17000 hence asking the question as I've lalready got a couple of black face Rolex I'd prefers something different

Appreciate the feedback though ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    My trio of days gone by (17014 is long gone nowadays) - the 17000 has a silver dial and the 17013 has a champagne dial.

My local AD had it serviced by Rolex this year with an eye watering cost of £1916.
    James - As gorgeous as your watch undeniably is, you lost me at this point unfortunately!

Oh Well - If you want to play, you have to pay.

PS - It really is lovely though.

Peter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    James - As gorgeous as your watch undeniably is, you lost me at this point unfortunately!

Oh Well - If you want to play, you have to pay.

PS - It really is lovely though.

Peter
    That was a movement replacement though. A normal service is not expensive, no more than a cal 3135. The problem is the polishing of the case and bracelet... Hard to get right.

Craftsman
    These appear to be undergoing a bit of a revival,I can see why! I really taken with them and starting to get the itch.

Great watches that have not really joined the increase yet of other Rolex vintage references.

Just in the process of having my black dial swapped for a silver dial!

That was a movement replacement though. A normal service is not expensive, no more than a cal 3135. The problem is the polishing of the case and bracelet... Hard to get right.
    I looked at these photos last night and then I looked again and felt for perhaps the first time ever an 'emotional' attraction for vintage. It was a feeling similar to but stronger than nostalgia and caught me entirely by surprise.

It's also undeniably cool that all these years later Rolex still have spare movements available.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I looked at these photos last night and then I looked again and felt for perhaps the first time ever an 'emotional' attraction for vintage. It was a feeling similar to but stronger than nostalgia and caught me entirely by surprise.

It's also undeniably cool that all these years later Rolex still have spare movements available.
    I have got the vintage bug quite bad. This year I have also picked up a Red Submariner ref 1680 from 1974 and 16660 Seadweller from 1983.

Should be picking up a Kermit tomorrow after I have checked it over to ensure its legit.

Will do a SOTC soon to include my others.

Will do a SOTC soon to include my others.
    Please post a prior warning James...so I have time to avert my eyes!

Strange how things change. A few years ago the black dial OQ was reasonably coveted as it was a much rarer configuration. Now everyone seems to prefer the silver dial. Personally I think it's because I've recently changed mine from silver to black and my back catalogue of duff decisions is legendary!

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    I do I've bit the bullet and my 17000 is incoming and looking forward to it being here, I'll see how I get in with the black before making any rash decisions but many thanks for all the feedback thus far

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Strange how things change. A few years ago the black dial OQ was reasonably coveted as it was a much rarer configuration. Now everyone seems to prefer the silver dial. Personally I think it's because I've recently changed mine from silver to black and my back catalogue of duff decisions is legendary!

Cheers,
    Gary
    Luckily all dials are still produced for the OQ, so are movement parts. Im thinking of getting a second one now to accompany my 17013.
    As someone said the prices are still reasonable on the OQ.

Luckily all dials are still produced for the OQ, so are movement parts.
    As someone said the prices are still reasonable on the OQ.
    When I had my dial changed I was sent a list of what was still available & I'm not sure it covered all the original variants.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.