closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gout- ouch ouch ouch!

Gout- ouch ouch ouch!

I felt a bit of a twinge in my left ankle over the weekend by yesterday it had developed into the most pain I have ever know. A bright red, swollen ankle joint that I could not put any weight on resulted in a trip to A&E. A few hours and tests later and it seems I have Gout.

No idea what caused it and no idea what to do to try and prevent it, has anyone had it or does anyone have any advice to stop it happening again(apart from cutting down my Port intake )?

Cheers.

Brilliant, cheers. Why didn't I do search? I'll put it down to the pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post
    Brilliant, cheers. Why didn't I do search? I'll put it down to the pain!
    See also: Anyone suffer from uric acid / gout?

Edit: Keep an eye on your level of hydration. I know that if I'm not well hydrated a session on the beer will set it off. Red wine, not so much, and I rarely drink port these days...I can't stand the hangovers!
    Last edited by PickleB; 2nd November 2016 at 20:20.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    See also: Anyone suffer from uric acid / gout?

Edit: Keep an eye on your level of hydration. I know that if I'm not well hydrated a session on the beer will set it off. Red wine, not so much, and I rarely drink port these days...I can't stand the hangovers!
    Cheers mate, plenty to keep me going. Old age, gout and hangovers where did it all go wrong????

Cheers mate, plenty to keep me going. Old age, gout and hangovers where did it all go wrong????
    For me it was when the kids came along.. They have aged me considerably.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    For me it was when the kids came along.. They have aged me considerably.
    I don't have kids to blame, I do have a wife however! That must be it

My rheumatologist told me gout tended to affect those of above average intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    My rheumatologist told me gout tended to affect those of above average intelligence.
    I must have acquired it via Osmosis!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    And you believed him? I guess we should be immune then

It's a terrible pain - If you've not had it, it's hard to comprehend how much it hurts! Cherries are supposed to be good at reducing the swelling and keeping it at bay (I'm sure it was mentioned in the other threads too).

M.

I get it in my big toes. As I said on the gout thread you need to check what your uric acid levels are and see if it can be managed through diet/lifestyle change. Mine couldn't and have been on 200mg allopurinol daily for the last 4 years. Not ideal but at least I can live a bit. I don't drink lager but am fine on bourbon. It really is the most excruciating pain - like having glass splinters in your toe joint!!

Apprentice

Mr

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    I get it in my big toes. As I said on the gout thread you need to check what your uric acid levels are and see if it can be managed through diet/lifestyle change. Mine couldn't and have been on 200mg allopurinol daily for the last 4 years. Not ideal but at least I can live a bit. I don't drink lager but am fine on bourbon. It really is the most excruciating pain - like having glass splinters in your toe joint!!
    mate try leeches. If you want i can help you? % 100 treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    And you believed him? I guess we should be immune then

It's a terrible pain - If you've not had it, it's hard to comprehend how much it hurts! Cherries are supposed to be good at reducing the swelling and keeping it at bay (I'm sure it was mentioned in the other threads too).

M.
    Try leeches.

Apprentice

Mr

Try leeches. You will not need anything else.

Apprentice

Mr

I felt a bit of a twinge in my left ankle over the weekend by yesterday it had developed into the most pain I have ever know. A bright red, swollen ankle joint that I could not put any weight on resulted in a trip to A&E. A few hours and tests later and it seems I have Gout.

No idea what caused it and no idea what to do to try and prevent it, has anyone had it or does anyone have any advice to stop it happening again(apart from cutting down my Port intake )?

Cheers.
    Leeches will sort you out. I can help if you want

Master
    I used to suffer from it in my late thirties, as did my brother, so it can run in families.

I led a very bad lifestyle back in those days in the sense that I ate and drank far too much. I went on the F Plan diet to lose weight which was high fibre and all the rage in the 1980s. The gout stopped a week or two after wards and my diet is still high fibre and touch wood, I am still gout free.

Whether that was pure co incidence I do not know. But also my booze consumption today is only a small percentage of what it was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    mate try leeches. If you want i can help you? % 100 treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

Try leeches.
    Try leeches. You will not need anything else.
    Leeches will sort you out. I can help if you want
    I had gout. I used leeches. Now i am ok more than a year. I do not take any medicines at all.
    I used leeches for gout. I do not use any more medicines. More than a year now.
    i did suffer from gout. But leech teatment helped me. I am medicines free more than a year now.
    You have 6 posts on this forum. The above are those posts, with 3 in this thread alone. I take you like leeches, Leech?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems I may have this for the first time but it's my thumb!

Wednesday it felt like I had whacked it on something like it was bruised. By yesterday evening it was very painful. Rang the doc in the morning told her symptoms and she reckons it's gout. Prescribed me naproxen and today although I still have a bit of pain I can move it a lot more.

Got to have a blood test in 3 weeks as apparently that's the best time to test if it is gout.

Looks like the diet will have to change....a little.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    You have 6 posts on this forum. The above are those posts, with 3 in this thread alone. I take you like leeches, Leech?
    LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten years ago I went to A&E in agony thinking I'd broken my toe but with no idea how (maybe kicked the wall in my sleep?). Turned out to be gout, so I (literally) feel your pain.

My doctor put me on a lifetime prescription of a 300mg pill of Alopurinol and thankfully I've felt absolutely nothing since.

Master
    Allopurinol 100mg for me. Can eat what I want now and no I’ll effects

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    What is this stuff? Sounds like a gift from the gods!

I'll wait for my blood test in a few weeks and see what they say.

Still surprised that it's my thumb. Seems to be the feet mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    What is this stuff? Sounds like a gift from the gods!
    Requires a prescription but standard treatment by GPs

Craftsman
    Allopurinol 100mg here - works very well.

Blog Entries
    Leeches? Sorry, I am not getting it, how will Rolex AD’s help?

Apparently sour cherry juice is good at fighting uric acid which is the main cause of gout. Supposed to be good for helping you kip too!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

200mg Allopurinol daily here, and haven't had an attack since I started taking it.

Gout is one of those things that people make fun of, but obviously have no concept of how painful it can be. I can remember not being able to bear the weight of a single top sheet on my toe.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

Ditto

Some of the worst foods you can eat to bring on a attack are Shellfish,Spinach, any offal Kidneys etc, baked beens, beer and wine.

Before I started taking Allopurinol and felt a attack coming on I would eat porridge, drink more water than usual and Cranberry juice, also get some 500mg Naproxen they are a must
    Last edited by hilly10; 12th December 2020 at 07:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Apparently sour cherry juice is good at fighting uric acid which is the main cause of gout. Supposed to be good for helping you kip too!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    The wife has just started on this a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have calmed her symptoms

Craftsman
    For years, I used a product called “Cherry Active”, which is in either juice, or capsule form.

If I felt a bout coming on, or if I knew I had heart schedule ahead, I’d take a few extra for a couple of days.

I can’t remember the exact stat, but each capsule has the equivalent of the juice from 100 cherries.

Produced from Montmorency (think that is spelt right!) cherries.

Available on the net, or health food shops, such as Holland & Barrett. Keep an eye out as very often H&B have a 2 for 1 sale on.

My uric acid is too high and my GP recommended a montmorency cherry supplement. It’s not a cure, but it helps. Losing weight and cutting out booze have had a bigger impact for me, though.

Master
    Allopurinol for me as well, haven't had an attack since taking it👍