closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Well, some Christmas this is gonna be

Well, some Christmas this is gonna be

There we are, all set for a lovely day tomorrow at my brother inlaws, our kids, their kids, plus recently widowed father in law, nice family day.

Wife is working tonight, so we had our dinner early, bathed kids and got them ready for bed.

Got the boy out of the bath and he's covered in spots on his side and chest, more popping up every hour, the dreaded chickenpox we think.

Brother in law has a small baby, so don't think we'll be allowed round.

Looks like our Christmas day will be spent locked down in quarantine with no food in the house to knock up an even basic Christmas dinner.

Looks like we're eating takeaway tomorrow.

Merry Christmas.

Master
    Yes, shit happens - but the upside is you'll have a talking point for years down the road!

Blog Entries
    I've just finished watching a 15 year old home movie of my son with... chickenpox. He was so small back, couldn't even speak at that age and he was feeling soon ill. He sat on a chair, watching the christmas trees. Now it's funny. Back then it wasn't. Like you wrote.

My wife and I discussed what we had done to relief the itching. There are tons of tips on the internet how to relief the itching.

I hope you have a great christmas, despite the chickenpox.

Menno

Master
    Don't take any chances. Call the NHS helpline to rule out any other possibilities, ASAP.

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Do not use ibuprofen, or some other drugs - they can greatly worsen the effects (or may increase risk of serious skin infection) according to some studies - paracetamol seems ok
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 24th December 2016 at 22:09.
    It's just a matter of time...

Do the meningitis test just to be sure. Press a glass down on the spots and if they disappear it's ok. If not ring 999.

Our 1 year old daughter has just had chickenpox, it wasn't too bad but she then got a secondary respiratory tract infection and we had to take her to A&E due to rapid breathing and high temperature. It was very scary at the time but she was given a steroid inhaler and she is much better now.

Sorry I didn't want to worry you but just be aware of the potential for secondary infection a few days later. Generally it's better to get chicken pox when you're young though. I caught it from our eldest daughter last year and I was ill for a month with horrible Tonsillitis afterwards!

I hope you can still get some decent food tomorrow and have a belated Christmas day / meal afterwards. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Do not use ibuprofen, or some other drugs - they can greatly worsen the effects (or may increase risk of serious skin infection) according to some studies - paracetamol seems ok
    This. I only found this out our when we took our daughter to a pharmacy. Later we spoke to 111 and they told us to give her ibuprofen! It definitely shouldn't be given for Chicken pox. Calpol can work wonders though.

Sorry to hear this - I hope that your Christmas day isnt too bad.

Hope things work out OK.

Just gone through it with our youngest.

If you're stuck for food, find a BP garage as many of them have 24 hour M&S shops attached. You might be lucky enough to find one with the ingredients for a reasonable lunch.

We were really lucky with our two, when they had it they had about 10 spots between them, my nephew however was covered bless him, up his nose, ears , everywhere.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks for the concern gents.

Was already aware of the no ibufrofen thing, thanks to something on facebook a few months back.

To be honest, he doesn't need anything at the moment, he's happy, bright and excited about santa, not poorly at all.

I'd done the glass test earlier, though they don't dissapear, they do fade, so i'm pretty sure it's not meningitis spots, though i'm monitoring it, i know what proper non fading spots look like after having them myself all over my tummy and legs after some weird virus thing a few years ago.

We'll make the best of it tomorrow, so long as he's healthy and happy tomorrow, it will be a good day, sister in laws turkey will be dry and inedible anyway, i'll enjoy my lamb madras.

Master
    I had it at 56. My daughter (5 at the time) had a couple of spots. I had 3 weeks off work () and looked like a map of the Constellations

Chickenpox in small children typically is much milder than in teenagers or adults and much less likely to scar. If the baby's mother is Brest feeding and had already had CP, then chances are they will be fine - Assuming of course your BiL has already had it.

Your son with be "infectious" in the two days before the spots and while the spots are "wet". Once they have dried then risks reduce.

As for drugs - Eurax cream for the itching and Calpol for everything else.

But if you are worried get him seen.

- according to the wife who is a RCN

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    very sad to hear this, but if its any help, Chicken Pox (if confirmed) is only contagious during its incubating state, in layman's terms that the 10-15 days before the spots appears, so you guys should be good to go,

ignore the above I didnt actually know it was still infectious during the 'Wet' blister state

Chicken Pox is a very clever virus in this way, and is one of the reasons why it is so virulent.

Only issue I see here is having the little guy poorly while you guys are trying to have fun, but again if its any help, some calamine lotion to reduce the itching should allow him to sleep, and sleep is all he is going to do for at least the next 3 days.

Paracetamol, as mentioned is far better than any other at the moment, avoid Ibuprofen.

and the advice above is from a father of three, with 20 years personal experience of this and other typical child illnesses, I am not a Doctor or do I have experience in the health sector.
    Last edited by soundood; 24th December 2016 at 23:54.

Cheers all.
    Well a few hours on, no more spots and what there are aren't big and blistery, plus he's not in the slightest poorly, been very happy and excited all day, fell asleep at 10 waiting for santa, not convinced it is the pox. Will check on him a couple of times before i hit the hay and see what morning brings. I may get my stuffing yet, plus, i've just wrapped his hornby train set, which i think i'm more excited about than he'll be.

On the bright side, it's good to get chicken pox out of the way. I can post some pictures of our Christmas dinner, if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    On the bright side, it's good to get chicken pox out of the way. I can post some pictures of our Christmas dinner, if that helps?
    Agree, i'll be glad to get it out of the way too, boy is 6 and wife has been obsessed/paranoid about it for all 6 years, the slightest spot/rash/imperfection and she's convinced it's the 'pox', though this is the most convincing case so far.

Dinner selfies are allowed, so long as i can post mine of a lamb madras, mushroom rice, saag bhaji and peshwari naan if thats how tomorrow pans out

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Yep,know the feeling,my lad caught it the day before myself,him and his sister were due to fly to lapland 10 years ago to see santa,he had to stay at home with the ex while me and my daughter went,luckily he was only 3 at the time.

I remember when I was ten kissing my younger sister on the cheek - something normally you couldn't pay me to do - just so I'd catch her measles and have time off school. It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I remember when I was ten kissing my younger sister on the cheek - something normally you couldn't pay me to do - just so I'd catch her measles and have time off school.
    There must be a lot of measles in Norfolk.

Craftsman
    Could be hand, foot & mouth or any number of other viruses that seem to give kids spots. Good news that he's happy, that's the main thing! Hope you're able to salvage an enjoyable Christmas.

There is a vaccine for chicken pox but you have to pay for it, think it was about £200.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    I had it at 56. My daughter (5 at the time) had a couple of spots. I had 3 weeks off work () and looked like a map of the Constellations
    Just wish the mumps don't get you at a later age... I was in my mid twenties when I caught it - it felt as dying slowly...

Menno

Master
    I started reading this thinking I was about to hear the news of a death or terminal illness; just to give everything perspective - phew!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

It's a good news / bad news / good news day

Good news, boy is fine, no more spots, presents opened and we've gone to brother in laws, good day so far

Bad news, his wife forgot to defrost the turkey, ffs, how hard can it be to do a roast dinner, i do it every year usually, amateurs.

Good news, we are getting half a huge cooked turkey donated from her parents round the corner, so will soon be feasting, better than the dry lidl turkey crown we were gonna be getting.

I'm off to drink more port, merry Christmas everyone

Good to hear that little chap is feeling better. Make sure he doesn't scratch/pick the spots/papuls as they tend to leave bigger marks/scars if opened. Once they heal and covered with new skin try 99.9% aloe to reduce any scarring. Please also bear in mind that it is still contagious even after there is no new spots found. Merry Christmas!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I remember when I was ten kissing my younger sister on the cheek - something normally you couldn't pay me to do - just so I'd catch her measles and have time off school. It worked.
    Measles or German Measles?
    I had measles at 7 years old, and was off school for nearly four months. Touch and go at one point according to my mum, and I slept downstairs as I couldn't get upstairs.

Bog standard measles; very common in those days. I've never had German measles.