closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SARB033 & The other 'Simple Black Face Seiko Indices Watches'

SARB033 & The other 'Simple Black Face Seiko Indices Watches'

If anyone is thinking of buying a simple classic looking Seiko 3 hander with date they may find this interesting;

I have a real liking for Seikos and they get a lot of wrist time. I have had several over the years and I am thinking about picking up the black faced SARB, the SARB033;

It is probably one of the WIS worlds best known budget watches (say £350) and I am very keen on picking one up as a daily wearer for 2017. It is a great value hackable windable watch that looks good and punches above its weight.

So... given the enormity of the Seiko range I started looking upwards (to GS) and downwards (to Seiko5) from the SARB and I was really surprised to see how many watches that Seiko have that would loosely fit the following base criteria that could define a simple day to day work/dress watch;

1. Circa 38-40mm case.
    2. Black face.
    3. Indice hour markers (not arabics or romans)
    4. Three hander with date complication.
    5. Metal case & bracelet (silver coloured).

In addition to the SARB, I can find about 12 watches that fit this description,

As the pound is bit shaky and I have been looking at this stuff over the last few weeks I quoted in Euros then £. Table is sorted by price Low-High;

Designation Range Size Price (€) (£) Movement
    1 SNKM47 Seiko 5 38mm 62 56 7S26
    2 SGEH41 Quartz 38mm 103 93 7N42
    3 SGG599 Titan 40mm 115 104 M08-403DV
    4 SGG731 TitanSaph 40mm 118 106 7N43
    5 SNE361 Solar 43mm 128 115 V158
    6 SKA719 Kinetic 43mm 136 122 5M82
    7 SARB033 'SARB' 38mm 388 349 6R15
    8 SARX015 Presage 40mm 520 468 6R15
    9 SDGM003 Brightz 40.5mm 768 691 6R15
    10 SBGV007 GS Quartz 40mm 2800 2520 9F62
    11 SBGA085 GS (SD) 39mm 3500 3150 9R65
    12 SBGR057 GS (Mech) 39.4mm 3900 3510 9S65
    13 SBGH005 GS (HB) 40.2mm 5200 4680 9S85

I think there is some great value in the list above and it amazes me that Seiko have really made all things for all men.

Images taken from vendor websites;

SNKM47 £56

SGEH41 £93

SGG599 £104

SGG731 £106

SNE361 £115

SKA719 £122

SARB033 £349

SARX015 £468

SDGM003 £691

SBGV007 £2520

SBGA085 £3150

SBGR057 £3510

SBGH005 £4680
    Last edited by TimeThoughts; 31st October 2016 at 00:01.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    So... given the enormity of the Seiko range ....
    Strong language. It's not that bad.

As a Seiko wearer, a good write up, thanks

Banned
    I think it is well worth taking the next step up from SARB.

My pair of SDGM's...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    My pair of SDGM's...

Reggie, can I ask what your thoughts are on the SDGM over the SARB in terms of build quality ?

The SDGM bracelet looks a lot sharper.

Would the SDGM warrant the price increase given they have the same movement in your opinion ?

As a Sarb035 owner and ex owner of a sarx015, SBGX059 amongst others I can recommend the Sarb as an excellent automatic watch for the money

^^^^^ Sure you can^^^^^

In a former life I also owned this pair, the 033 and 035, so I can offer the opinion from experience.

The SDGM does truly have the edge in build over the SARB's in question here. The brushing/polishing is on the next level and the sapphire also, is almost invisible so obviously that affects the price (with whatever they do with the anti reflective finish).
    Diasheld coating (on the case at least) on the SDGM is also a contributing cost factor I guess and it does possess a real shine. I don't rough ride my watches so can't comment as to whether or not it stands up better to knocks and bangs over time.
    As you mentioned, the bracelets versus the two isn't really a contest. The SARB is fine and I had no issues (although some do) but the SDGM is just tighter yet smoother and more slinky on the wrist.
    So with the above notes, yes, I was happy to pay more for the SDGM's over the SARB's although the movements are the same.
    The SDGM is definitely "Grand Seiko-esque" in it's make up.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post

I'd definitely try a SDGM some tome though!
    You better hurry, they're to be discontinued (Apparently) ?

You better hurry, they're to be discontinued (Apparently) ?
    Apoligies!.. went to edit my reply (on the mobile version of the site) and it got wiped out!

To put back what I'd said.... the SARB bracelet was a major disappointment to me. Bad design, destined to never close tightly to the 1st link. Mine, was from a faulty batch it would seem. Returned the day I received it. Very disappointing for a mid range Seiko. I've never had a complaint in the divers watches I've owned over the years (at the £100-200 mark).. but this was dire:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Apoligies!.. went to edit my reply (on the mobile version of the site) and it got wiped out!

To put back what I'd said.... the SARB bracelet was a major disappointment to me. Bad design, destined to never close tightly to the 1st link. Mine, was from a faulty batch it would seem. Returned the day I received it. Very disappointing for a mid range Seiko. I've never had a complaint in the divers watches I've owned over the years (at the £100-200 mark).. but this was dire:

I cant help but think that this is not a common problem, I have seen plenty of these discussed on forums over the years and this is a new one on me, the bracelet on mine is great, extremely comfortable and well finished

If course i may be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I cant help but think that this is not a common problem, I have seen plenty of these discussed on forums over the years and this is a new one on me, the bracelet on mine is great, extremely comfortable and well finished

If course i may be wrong
    There was myself and one other forum member who picked up SARB's last week - and we both had massive gaps in the clasp. Only conclusion was that it was a bad batch. As you say, they are normally well received.

Blog Entries
    Don't have a pic but as iconic as the 033/35 - you could try the brightz line , or the grand cocktail . The sarb 021 is nice

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    The sarb 021 is nice
    Agreed on that. I owned one prior to moving on to my first GS..

Master
    The OP missed out this black faced Seiko 5 SNKL45K1. It's keeping amazingly accurate time at +0.3s/day (better than my 14060m, but yea it's luck of the draw with these 7S26 movements) and for just £60. Is there a better cheaper more accurate automatic out there?
    Last edited by KingKitega; 7th May 2017 at 09:25.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    The OP missed out this black faced Seiko 5 SNKL45K1. It's keeping amazingly accurate time at +0.3s/day (better than my 14060m, but yea it's luck of the draw with these 7S26 movements) and for just £60. Is there a better cheaper more accurate automatic out there?
    Yes, Seiko 5s are the business, they got me into watches and I must have had 6 of them at least over the years.

I was trying to tighten the scope in my OP and I didn't include the SNKL45 as it has a red second hand ! I put in the SNKM47. I think the SNKL45 is actually nicer than the SNKM47 but I was trying to build up and down from the SARB033 as close as I could with watches that were available new !

http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5fin...47&MOD2=SNKL45

Anyone into Seikos should have a play with watchsleuth.com, its amazing the diversity.

Rock solid value prop at every level there!

I'm a fan of the SARB033/035. I have the 035 and my Dad the 033 and I think it represents better value than the new SARX033/035 (which you appear to have missed). Seiko seems to be taking the 6R15 movement up market, in terms of finishing of the watch and inevitably price, with each new release, slotting the 4R36 level watches in behind. Not that there is anything wrong with the 4R36 as they are all fundamentally derivatives of the 7S26 anyway!

I handled the SARX033/035 on a recent trip to Japan and the finishing is lovely on it, at the SDGM level for sure but for me, not worth double the entry ticket.
    Last edited by fordy964; 7th May 2017 at 12:26.

Master
    I have said this probably far too many times on here but the main issue with the SARB is the movement in my opinion. If you can afford to wait, make the leap to a GS or whatever the next tier up is as far as movements are or, try a Citizen Signature Automatic instead. I had the SARB for years and although it was great value, the movement was always slow with a crunchy winding crown (typical of these movements) and the slower beat second hand, which I didn't really enjoy as much. Even the SDGM series is still the 6r15 even though the dial and bracelet are an improvement.

Of course, that may not be as important to you but in the end, it's something I do focus on and would rather try and find a better movement within a cost effective attractive watch. Not as easy as it sounds.

These Citizens are of course going to cost more but the quality more than makes up for it, in my humble opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQZI4lP8iVw
    Last edited by stix; 7th May 2017 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    I'm a fan of the SARB033/035. I have the 035 and my Dad the 033 and I think it represents better value than the new SARX033/035 (which you appear to have missed).
    Good spot, for some reason I couldn't find a SARX035 (Black face SARX) for sale when I complied the list (checked all the usual places; Seiya / Sky / Creation etc.). The current price was an important factor for me. I settled for the SARX015 data !

Can't believe I missed this thread! This has always been something I loved about Seikos, how they offer this classic look right through the range. For years I wore this quartz Seiko, before upgrading to a Seiko 5 with red tipped seconds hand. I was going to go for the SARB but inherited a small amount of money so instead went for the similarly styled GS SBGR053, surprised it hasn't been on the list. Having had the chance recently to examine a SARB as I recommended it to a friend, it's a great watch for the money but by comparison to the GS, it's roughly finished, but then so is my Tudor!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Have a 015 I use as a work watch, it's a "nice" watch without being flashy, does make me sort of want an aqua terra though! 😂

I've been keeping an eye on this ebay item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1321812018...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    possibly with a view to it accompanying my SCVS001 Spirit, pictured below.
    Just a thought of course.

I've been keeping an eye on this ebay item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1321812018...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    possibly with a view to it accompanying my SCVS001 Spirit, pictured below.
    Just a thought of course.
    I really like that. Particularly that the centre links are not gold.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I really like that. Particularly that the centre links are not gold.
    Thanks. As you probably saw if you clicked the link, the ebay offering is the black faced sister to my cream/gold option and as you say, with not having gold centre links in the bracelet, it's not so blingy. It's a lovely piece, it really is.

Craftsman
    I think for the money, the SARB is a no brainer. If it wasn't for the clasp letting it down, it would be the perfect daily smart wearer. Saying That, if the funds allow, a GS would be my choice all day.

Here's my 033

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I think for the money, the SARB is a no brainer. If it wasn't for the clasp letting it down, it would be the perfect daily smart wearer. Saying That, if the funds allow, a GS would be my choice all day.
    You're right. I would love a SARX but for the money it's probably better value to get a GS which is a different option altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You're right. I would love a SARX but for the money it's probably better value to get a GS which is a different option altogether.
    I agree, great value. I compared the GS to an Omega Aqua Terra that I thought was roughly finished by comparison and a Rolex that I was not willing to pay the price of.

Almost a GS.

Journeyman
    My baby grand seiko, sarx035

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselk View Post

Fantastic watch. How do you find the clasp?

They are nicely done these latest SARX's :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Fantastic watch. How do you find the clasp?
    Clasp is great, and bracelet is confortable

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    They are nicely done these latest SARX's :)
    Yes that's why I ve searched for its sister the sarx033 and found it 😋

Master
    Yes that's why I ve searched for its sister the sarx033 and found it 

I'd happily wear the black faced one all day every day as my only watch. It is simple and elegant and does all I need it to. I've been busily selling off most of my watches, so is this the target result now, one of these and nowt else?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I'd happily wear the black faced one all day every day as my only watch. It is simple and elegant and does all I need it to. I've been busily selling off most of my watches, so is this the target result now, one of these and nowt else?

Not sure to understand your question. Sorry English is not my mother tongue

Those SARXes look stunning. Handled the white one a few weeks back and was very impressed. Crystal appears non existent which allows the dial to shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Not sure to understand your question. Sorry English is not my mother tongue
    It's a question to myself asking if one of these could be my 'only' watch. The answer is probably yes, it could.

Journeyman
    It's a question to myself asking if one of these could be my 'only' watch. The answer is probably yes, it could.
    Ah yes it could. I have currently the sarb065, sarx033, sarx035 and the sarw025. I am very satisfied. Difficult to find such good looking dress watch with such high finishing at this price range.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Those SARXes look stunning. Handled the white one a few weeks back and was very impressed. Crystal appears non existent which allows the dial to shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very true. Anti reflection coating is impressive.

Journeyman
    The crystal is AR coated on both sides?

Master
    IIRC just on the inside.

Hi, I'm really torn between the black and white one. I owned (briefly) an SARB and it underwhelmed me, but these look beautiful. I can't decide to wait until the Seiko Boutique possibly stock this, or turn to Seiya

SARB033 & The other 'Simple Black Face Seiko Indices Watches'

Well, I found an SARX035 on eBay on Friday and submitted a "best offer" of £550. He accepted overnight and I paid Saturday morning. The seller posted it out that day and it's arrived! It really is stunning! The bracelet is sublime, tapering from 20mm to 18mm at the clasp. The dial is just gorgeous and I can see this becoming a popular Seiko model.

Something that isn't apparent from photos is that whilst the dial has sub second indices on the chapter ring, they are very subtle. I'll try to take a photo to show what I mean.
    Last edited by messym; 22nd May 2017 at 19:37.

Great purchase. The AR coating on the dial is amazing, almost looks like the crystal is missing.

Well wear / wear well.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Well, I found an SARX035 on eBay on Friday and submitted a "best offer" of £550. He accepted overnight and I paid Saturday morning. The seller posted it out that day and it's arrived! It really is stunning! The bracelet is sublime, tapering from 20mm to 18mm at the clasp. The dial is just gorgeous and I can see this becoming a popular Seiko model.

Something that isn't apparent from photos is that whilst the dial has sub second indices on the chapter ring, they are very subtle. I'll try to take a photo to show what I mean.

This is in my opinion one of the best affordable dress watch. I have it since few month and I am in still in love 😁

great, the same thinking and likes about Seiko as me. many thanks

Journeyman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    For the money , I don't think there is anything out there close to this at that price point , and it has an in house movement , beat that !

Seikoboy

Banned
    Also if you've ever seen the SARB017 green faced alpinist on the leather or even on a steel oyster bracelet it's an absolute stunner , probably my favourite from the sarb collection by a mile

Seikoboy