closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bonkers but useful.

Bonkers but useful.

Here is a watch I always had a hankering for. I have owned this for a while but I thought I would do a post about it as there is not much information out there as it is not that common.

It is the SPF-10 made in 2000. Of course Casio had a reputation for making bonkers watches but this one is actually very useful, particularly so if you do much fishing.

The design of the watch is obviously based around its key function of a remote thermo scanner.

Its other functions are moon phase and tide graph with the ability to check these hourly and by date. You can programme ten other sites into the watch so that you can always be aware of conditions in those sites. In addition it has a 20 second alarm which is plenty loud enough and an auto LCD illumination.
    The watch is made in Japan

The thermo scanner works by monitoring the infra red emissions from the surface of an object. The emissivity of a material can be different. A black body would emit at 1.0. You can alter the emissivity factor on this watch. Its default setting is 0.95 which is close to the factor emitted by most common day materials and particularly water. Skin is very close to this and when I point the watch to the inside of my wrist I get a temperature of 36.1 C, which must be close to my true temperature.

Metals tend to have lower emissivity values and the shinier the metal the lower the value. If you wish to check the temperature of a metal object you can alter the emissivity value of the watch to get a true reading.

Earth, wood, plants, concrete and brick have similar emissivity rates close to 0.95 so if you wanted the approximate current shade temperature you could get it by measuring such an object in the shade.

For a fisherman the watch gives the moon, tide and water temperature all things which can effect how the fish are likely to be feeding.

I took the watch with me on the last couple of holidays and had a bit of fun whilst out and about measuring the temperature of the coffee, wine, pool etc. Always good to know if restaurants are serving wine at the correct temperature!

I actually did quite a bit of fishing on my last holiday and I was surprised at the change in temperature of the water from early morning to the afternoon.

Nice view from the hotel bedroom.

So whilst it can be filed under ‘bonkers’ watches it is quite useful and certainly a bit of fun.

Any other thermo scanners out there?

Never seen one of those before!
    It is bonkers, but also very interesting, thanks.

Interesting indeed, and good to see something different. Ta for posting.
    F.T.F.A.

Cool - I'd like one!

Very interesting indeed. Where is that? On the Loire somewhere?

Craftsman
    Cool and interesting, can't say I've seen one of those before...

Well I never. New, to me, and old at the same time. Cool
    Gray

I like bonkers watches in general, and I do like that.

Here's my one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    The thermo scanner works by monitoring the infra red emissions from the surface of an object. The emissivity of a material can be different. A black body would emit at 1.0. You can alter the emissivity factor on this watch. Its default setting is 0.95 which is close to the factor emitted by most common day materials and particularly water. Skin is very close to this and when I point the watch to the inside of my wrist I get a temperature of 36.1 C, which must be close to my true temperature.

Metals tend to have lower emissivity values and the shinier the metal the lower the value. If you wish to check the temperature of a metal object you can alter the emissivity value of the watch to get a true reading.

Earth, wood, plants, concrete and brick have similar emissivity rates close to 0.95 so if you wanted the approximate current shade temperature you could get it by measuring such an object in the shade.
    And that is something which I badly need for... ... ... ? Lowering emissions of shiny objects in the shade?

I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm sure this is something ubercool - I just don't have the faintest clue what anyone would use it for, let alone often enough to make it part of a watch. Could you clue me in, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntram View Post
    And that is something which I badly need for... ... ... ? Lowering emissions of shiny objects in the shade?

I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm sure this is something ubercool - I just don't have the faintest clue what anyone would use it for, let alone often enough to make it part of a watch. Could you clue me in, please?
    Well I think I have already mentioned a few. People like to know the general temperature and you can use if for that without waiting for the watch to equalise with the ambient temperature. You can take your own skin temperature, check the temperature of your wine, coffee, swimming pool, the water you intend to fish in etc etc and monitor changes in said things.

As an example I just pointed the watch at the carpet in the room and it showed 20.1C. A room thermometer that had equalised showed 19.9C.

Perhaps temperature knowledge is totally irrelevant to you. If so, so is this watch.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 29th October 2016 at 18:14.

Master
    Blog Entries

Probably more likely for someone to find the need to measure the temperature of something, (water in this case), than call an emergency evac from a cliff face or something. That doesn't stop Breitling selling Emergency's though...

Bonkers-yes
    Useful-not so sure.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could sell this one to SWMBO as an oenophile watch...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Very interesting indeed. Where is that? On the Loire somewhere?
    Got it in one. Photos were in Chinon and Montsoreau.

Mitch

Master

I can see why this watch would be useful - in fact, I use something very similar day to day - in the form of an infrared 'laser' thermometer to measure the temperature of various surfaces of refrigeration plant, equipment and process machinery to check for efficiency and correct running parameters.

Having said that though, I don't think I'd ever be able to use this watch for that purpose - our thermometers are sent to UKAS labs for recalibration once a year. Not exactly sure if they'd be able to calibrate this watch.

Whilst it may be a gimmick, it's a great one. I love a bit of wrist sized geek tech!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Well I think I have already mentioned a few. People like to know the general temperature and you can use if for that without waiting for the watch to equalise with the ambient temperature. You can take your own skin temperature, check the temperature of your wine, coffee, swimming pool, the water you intend to fish in etc etc and monitor changes in said things.

As an example I just pointed the watch at the carpet in the room and it showed 20.1C. A room thermometer that had equalised showed 19.9C.
    Ha! Now I understand, thanks for the explanation. And you... just point at the object? Or do you need the sensor to touch it?

Journeyman
    The watch looks great, like a prop from an 80's/90s sci-fi film.

I don't think it's a gimmick at all.

Since it's possible to get a pretty accurate instant air temperature reading with this, as well as surface temperature of any object, liquid etc you chose to point it at, I think most normal people could find many practical uses for it in their day to day life.

Far more useful than the built-in thermometers in some G-Shocks and the like (though not sure whether especially needed in fishing.)

One on eBay here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201686423422

Very techy, very nice.

Always like those Casios that can be used is Science-fiction movies.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good for ghost hunters

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Good for ghost hunters
    ...or bug hunters, and I don't mean the creepy-crawly type (of bug, not hunter).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Or predator hunters.
    (Alien as opposed to cat variety.)

Journeyman
    its a pretty cool looking watch actually

Ha! Now I understand, thanks for the explanation. And you... just point at the object? Or do you need the sensor to touch it?

You just point it at the object. It is measuring the infra red emissions of the object and converting them to a temperature.

Mitch