closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: brass / bronze bracelet ?

brass / bronze bracelet ?

ok so brass bronze 'esque dive style watch cases are (were?) a bit trendy but what about matching bracelets?

personally dont much like a dive watch on leather and much as i like zulu and such, i do also like bracelets.

so other than cost are there any other significant reasons we dont see bracelets made form materials other than ss and ti ? specifically brass or bronze to match the brass / bronze case...

Master
    Blog Entries
    They'd make your wrist go green

By the same token then do brass / bronze cases discolour the skin ?

Des.

Most bronze watches have stainless steel backs to prevent contact with skin.

The only way to make a bronze bracelet would be to do a clear DLC coating on it, however this would mean it wouldn't patina so would contrast against the case.

I came across this recently and admired it. I think the colour of the strap is described as bronze.

There is one I am aware of but it is pretty odd-ball - Visconti

"Visconti is using: I believe it is a bronze aluminum alloy, which is rather durable, and does not cause the skin to turn green as other bronze alloys can. The "most bronze" of each of the models will be the Abyssus Scuba 3000m Dive watch with the bronze case and matching bronze bracelet."

Quote is from Ablogtowatch so may need some fact checking

http://www.visconti.it/en/watches/w1...08-01-131-1408

Visconti satin-finish stainless steel clasp; alternatively, aluminium bronze bracelet with safety clasp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post
    Most bronze watches have stainless steel backs to prevent contact with skin.

The only way to make a bronze bracelet would be to do a clear DLC coating on it, however this would mean it wouldn't patina so would contrast against the case.
    Unless the case also had the clear DLC, so no patina at all. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I had the use of a Magrette brass in one of the forum mega-passarounds a while back. I spent the whole time restraining myself from grabbing the Dremel and cleaning the mucky patina off it again.

Without any coating, not only would the bracelet patinate, it would also - because of the friction between moving bracelet links - spread a very fine grey-green powder everywhere you wore it, since verdigris develops constantly, and is very soft. Also, depending on the alloy, there are varying risks of allergic reactions. A lot of people are allergic to Zinc, for example.

So is the statement from Visconti that Aluminium Bronze won't turn your skin green false?