closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch for a wedding

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I'm more excited about finally getting hot water in my new flat than their wedding. 3 weeks without a hot shower takes its toll on one's psychological stability.
    I know the feeling. I've been without hot water in winter before on more than one occasion. It gets a tad boring after a while.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I know the feeling. I've been without hot water in winter before on more than one occasion. It gets a tad boring after a while.
    Normally I'd just suck it up, but even the inventory report identified the broken boiler and bedroom window that can't be closed, yet they let it to me anyway. Bloody unregulated letting agents!! Imprison the lot of them!

Looking forward to my free hotel room and unlimited bath water :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I feel sorry for your brother is if is so spineless he's allowing his wedding to be railroaded in such a way that his brothers partner is excluded. Sounds a right mess.

Craftsman
    Won't comment on the family issues, I had my fair share of similar drama. I would just advice the OP to do what's best for him and not to bother about what others say.

Now back to watches, buy a SS Rolex pre-owned and at sensible price and you won't lose much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Won't comment on the family issues, I had my fair share of similar drama. I would just advice the OP to do what's best for him and not to bother about what others say.

Now back to watches, buy a SS Rolex pre-owned and at sensible price and you won't lose much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

This is getting weird now. Talk of racial overtones and KKK outfits and wearing Nazi issued Rolex's!

I am losing track of this - are you still looking to get a new watch for the wedding?

Well my business is weddings and expensive ones at that, let me tell you they bring out the best and worst in people, any family issues are brought together in one day fueled by alcohol and more often than not class A..

I've seen brides dumped at the aisle, a brides mother get punched out, bridesmaids banged on the stairs, bride banned red wine and coffee for fear of her dress and then the bridesmaid ripped it...

More often than not a bridezilla has a crap day simply because she is watching over everything so much and left disappointed when things are not going her way, the couples who have the least expectations generally have the best day.

Master
    I want to do my brother proud but it's coming out of my down payment account.
    I think you need some serious perspective. Your brother is hardly going to see you at his wedding, yank up your sleeve and say "Jesus brother, that watch is only worth two thousand quid, I'm disappointed in you."

Frankly no-one will notice what watch you're wearing, and no-one will care. If you're wearing sleeves (presumably you are) even you won't see it for 95% of the day.

No offence intended, but spending 4 grand you can't afford to spend to have a slightly nicer watch for someone else's wedding in case someone looks at it and in case someone cares on one of the moments it's outside your sleeve is just about the stupidest thing I've heard this year - at your brother's wedding (not even yours!) nothing in the world could be so utterly laughably peripheral as what watch his brother is wearing.

EDIT: Just seen you've already got a Speedy?! Wear that for goodness' sake. Stop being paranoid that everyone at your brother's wedding will be fixated on what watch his brother wears. And even if they were a Speedy on leather would be fine!!
    Last edited by ddm27; 24th October 2016 at 09:29.

Blog Entries
    My suggestion: wear the Speedy to the post office to send a telegram wishing them well and expressing regret that you can't be there.
    Last edited by seffrican; 24th October 2016 at 07:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I am losing track of this - are you still looking to get a new watch for the wedding?
    I know it's gone a bit Catherine Cookson Pot Boiler..

OP - Can't you just talk to your brother and explain that your girlfriend feels like she can't attend due to the dress code and that wouldn't he mind chilling it out somewhat so that she can attend?

Normally I'd just suck it up, but even the inventory report identified the broken boiler and bedroom window that can't be closed, yet they let it to me anyway. Bloody unregulated letting agents!! Imprison the lot of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    OP - Can't you just talk to your brother and explain that your girlfriend feels like she can't attend due to the dress code and that wouldn't he mind chilling it out somewhat so that she can attend?
    Or failing that at least get him to send a letter, suitably loaded with intimidating legalistic language and written on good quality paper, to your landlords?

Journeyman
    I like the orange monster suggestion posted somewhere in the middle of this madness...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    I think you need some serious perspective. Your brother is hardly going to see you at his wedding, yank up your sleeve and say "Jesus brother, that watch is only worth two thousand quid, I'm disappointed in you."

Frankly no-one will notice what watch you're wearing, and no-one will care. If you're wearing sleeves (presumably you are) even you won't see it for 95% of the day.

No offence intended, but spending 4 grand you can't afford to spend to have a slightly nicer watch for someone else's wedding in case someone looks at it and in case someone cares on one of the moments it's outside your sleeve is just about the stupidest thing I've heard this year - at your brother's wedding (not even yours!) nothing in the world could be so utterly laughably peripheral as what watch his brother is wearing.

EDIT: Just seen you've already got a Speedy?! Wear that for goodness' sake. Stop being paranoid that everyone at your brother's wedding will be fixated on what watch his brother wears. And even if they were a Speedy on leather would be fine!!
    Yet if you read the thread you'd have seen that I'm even restricted to the cufflinks I'm wearing. It might seem mad or stupid to you, but he's planned the wedding to the last detail, and at the end of the day that's his decision, not mine. I'm willing to respect that, because as you say, it's his wedding, not mine. He wants it fancy fancy, so be it. Even my expensive leather shoes are not permissible because they are slip-ons not lace-up. As to it being money I can't afford to spend, 1. I won't be buying a house for about a decade the way things are going, and 2. Hence the ability to re-sell the thing. As such I can afford to spend it, hence the thread. In fact one could argue that there is better money to be made buying a nice rolex than leaving it in the bank to accumulate the square root of bugger all interest.

Yet if you read the thread you'd have seen that I'm even restricted to the cufflinks I'm wearing. It might seem mad or stupid to you, but he's planned the wedding to the last detail, and at the end of the day that's his decision, not mine. I'm willing to respect that, because as you say, it's his wedding, not mine. He wants it fancy fancy, so be it. Even my expensive leather shoes are not permissible because they are slip-ons not lace-up. As to it being money I can't afford to spend, 1. I won't be buying a house for about a decade the way things are going, and 2. Hence the ability to re-sell the thing. As such I can afford to spend it, hence the thread. In fact one could argue that there is better money to be made buying a nice rolex than leaving it in the bank to accumulate the square root of bugger all interest.
    I thought you hated Rolex? Perhaps a Speedmaster Ck2998 would be a better option for you (knowing how you enjoy your Speedies)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I thought you hated Rolex? Perhaps a Speedmaster Ck2998 would be a better option for you (knowing how you enjoy your Speedies)
    there are a few of the older ones which I do rather like with their patina and character (like the 16800 that was in the SC not too long ago with the faded bezel which alas I ummed and arred over for too long and missed it), but I just can't stand the pristine black and white subs (at times I even struggle to enjoy the black and white speedmasters I have). I'm almost double digits on speedys, but I just don't like wearing them as a dress watch tbh (chronos in general), too much going on. If he didn't want me wearing expensive and fancy everything, I'd just go with my old Avia. Luckily he's told me not to bother, so this thread no longer serves a purpose :) Although knowing his taste it'll be a damn daniel Wellington in the wedding bag

i've no say in how I dress, I'm intended to be a custard yellow banana!

I'm not surprised your wife doesn't want to go to this fancy dress themed wedding.

If the Best Man doesn't get up to do his speech in a green mask and hat he's missing a trick.

For what it's worth it sounds like the bride wants to invite accessories to her day, rather than guests, and it could turn out to be nothing more than a well orchestrated photoshoot with some wedding bits in between.

Some brides want to plan every last detail for their day, the one thing they forget about is love and joy. Suppose that doesn't matter though as long as it looks nice on instagram.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

I'm not surprised your wife doesn't want to go to this fancy dress themed wedding.

If the Best Man doesn't get up to do his speech in a green mask and hat he's missing a trick.

For what it's worth it sounds like the bride wants to invite accessories to her day, rather than guests, and it could turn out to be nothing more than a well orchestrated photoshoot with some wedding bits in between.

Some brides want to plan every last detail for their day, the one thing they forget about is love and joy. Suppose that doesn't matter though as long as it looks nice on instagram.
    Pretty much the colour they picked :( I think you're absolutely right though. We're in that day and age where the record of an event (and showing said record off) is somehow more important than just enjoying the event, and the reason behind the event. Alas in this instance, there is also a significant amount of parental coercion going on in the background. That is largely the reason for the situation as it stands, hence why I'm still going. Sure my brother should grow some balls, but it's not entirely his fault. Apparently this wedding is all about my mother. Her words.

I'll just look forward to when it is over. Maybe I'll learn what not to do. I'd be perfectly happy to just get hitched at the registry office and spend the money saved on something that actually adds value to our life (I wouldn't be surprised if they could have bought a holiday cottage with the money being spent on this thing).

And once it's done with, I can think about what watch I like and buy it for no other reason than that I want it :) Still after a solid gold Avia chronograph, although would also like a panda dial speedy (and a royal oak, and a 16800, and, and.... there goes my savings :p) (Just to bring this back in line with the forum the thread is posted in..)

Master
    So what watch has your brother mandated? You say he's specified every detail yet the watch paranoia/choice seems to be all you.

Why not just NOT wear one? Plenty of people don't wear watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I have the answer. Don't wear a watch and if anyone points out you're not wearing one, explain you dropped your new Patek on your expensive tiled floor this morning. Then use your phone to tell the time on the day like 95% of the population 😋

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    So what watch has your brother mandated? You say he's specified every detail yet the watch paranoia/choice seems to be all you.

Why not just NOT wear one? Plenty of people don't wear watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And why not just not wear a waist coat while I'm at it? I'm an usher, it is his wedding, it is his rules. It's not that complicated to understand. I made this thread prior to learning that even something as insignificant as cufflinks are not up to my discretion. He wants all of his ushers to look identical (other than shoes), hence being provided with a pack on the day which will include all of these items. I just have to turn up with some shoes, socks, and underwear :)

Master
    And why not just not wear a waist coat while I'm at it? I'm an usher, it is his wedding, it is his rules. It's not that complicated to understand. I made this thread prior to learning that even something as insignificant as cufflinks are not up to my discretion. He wants all of his ushers to look identical (other than shoes), hence being provided with a pack on the day which will include all of these items. I just have to turn up with some shoes, socks, and underwear :)
    But you still haven't explained what HIS rules ARE in relation to watches.

Master
    But you still haven't explained what HIS rules ARE in relation to watches.
    That it is all being supplied. I've said this a number of times now.

Master
    I'm not too bothered. I've encountered worse judgement against her and myself due to being mixed race couple and living in a lovely slummy area of London. In fairness without facts her actions would come across that way so I don't mind.

It would appear this thread is all in vain though. Contrary to the "who cares" idea, I've spoken with my brother and there will be an usher goody bag. The ushers are all going to dress identically, down to the cufflinks. Shoes are the only thing I'm allowed to buy for myself. Thankfully a pair of brogues will be a tad cheaper than a watch, and will come in handy come job interviews as I approach graduation in the summer.
    Without sounding funny a lot of people will want the Ushers dressed identically much like the bridesmaids. Unless they are into Reportage style photography the photos can look a complete hodge podge with different tie colours dresses etc. Also never wear slip-ons or Pin Stripes to a wedding plain suits and plain shoes . I wouldn't even wear brogues.
    Your watch, wear what you like as a cuff will cover it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Without sounding funny a lot of people will want the Ushers dressed identically much like the bridesmaids. Unless they are into Reportage style photography the photos can look a complete hodge podge with different tie colours dresses etc. Also never wear slip-ons or Pin Stripes to a wedding plain suits and plain shoes . I wouldn't even wear brogues.
    Your watch, wear what you like as a cuff will cover it.
    Indeed, you're absolutely right, hence why it is not an issue. He wants us identical, no problem. I made this thread prior to learning just how identical. I wouldn't have thought cufflinks would be an issue either as will almost always be covered by the jacket, but they're being supplied as well (no doubt they're engraved so as to be commemorative as well).

Hadn't planned on getting new shoes as he was happy with the slip-ons I have, but got a £50 M&S voucher with my sky broadband so will probably try and pick something up next week as there's no harm in having a pair of more sensible black shoes anyway.

All in all there really is no issue any more, but somehow the thread keeps going. It really no longer has any place in watch talk.

Journeyman
    I guess everyone wants to know what watch you will be getting. I assume you don't know as you haven't specified.
    Why don't you report back after the wedding about the watch?
    Not really any need to add to this thread until then.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Master
    You're probably now thinking blinking hell I wish I'd never started the thread lol. My last input is either buy a nice vintage piece for not too much money, as you could be spending the rest on a lovely holiday, or even cheaper get the nicest strap you can buy from Watch Obsession ( they are a nice husband and wife firm ) or some other reputable provider and put it on your Speedmaster. You'll have two looks then for what is one of the most versatile watches ever. Any trouble changing the bracelet pop up to Omega Oxford St branch near to Bond Street Tube who will do the job. They succeeded when WOS couldn't change my Speedie strap over on my Great White. Lastly have a great wedding celebration!

Master
    You're probably now thinking blinking hell I wish I'd never started the thread lol. My last input is either buy a nice vintage piece for not too much money, as you could be spending the rest on a lovely holiday, or even cheaper get the nicest strap you can buy from Watch Obsession ( they are a nice husband and wife firm ) or some other reputable provider and put it on your Speedmaster. You'll have two looks then for what is one of the most versatile watches ever. Any trouble changing the bracelet pop up to Omega Oxford St branch near to Bond Street Tube who will do the job. They succeeded when WOS couldn't change my Speedie strap over on my Great White. Lastly have a great wedding celebration!
    Regret it? Damn right haha. Teach me right for trying to jump to decisions before I had all the facts :)

If it were my choice, I'd wear my avia, about as simple classy as a dress watch gets imo considering they cost about £20 for one in good condition. As stated though (which answers the "you're an idiot for spending your savings" comments), I was after a second hand watch which I could buy, and then sell. Hardly an impossible notion. But rest assured, if i were buying because I could afford to spend the money, I wouldn't be wasting it on a holiday. Money down the drain in my experience.

As to a strap change, brute force generally does the job, I'm not a safe queen guy, I bought them to enjoy them and couldn't give a damn about a mark on the underside of a lug.

I've got the versatility down, but I still have a thing about chronographs as dress watches. Just doesn't seem right to me. Three hands, a crown, and no fancy bezel or other distractions.

Hafle - the best of luck to you. If I were you, I'd wear number 3 since it's the only proper Speedmaster in your collection. ;) .

But not to the wedding. Go to the pub and toast your brother there. If you're an usher, compared to best man, given all the other nonsense you've mentioned I wouldn't be going anyway. You're a human being, the groom's brother not a stuffed mannequin to be dressed up like someone else's plaything.

I'm curious as to what you'll find in your goodie bag on the day.

You'll have to let us know.

Master
    After all this it'll probably be a Daniel Wellington

After all this it'll probably be a Daniel Wellington
    I don't know the guy, but I'd say there's a strong possibility it'll be something like that.

I'm thinking if you're not really a watch person in the way we are, and you need to provide dress watches for your groomsmen/ushers/best man, that, or something similar seems like the route a lot of people would go down.

I have my fingers crossed for you though mate. Hopefully there'll be something in there for you to make your suffering worthwhile.

Like a white gold calatrava. Lol.

Blog Entries
    He wants us identical, no problem.
    Will that mean plastic surgery, or simply cloning technology?

You're probably now thinking blinking hell I wish I'd never started the thread lol.
    Everybody's thinking that at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

Like a white gold calatrava. Lol.
    Heck I'll be his brother's brother if that's in the goodie bag!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Your partner needs to take a good look at herself and you need to consider whether you want to be with someone who has such an obvious lack of respect for your family. Sorry, but your missus sounds like a massive cow.
    That's a bit harsh, your brother sounds a bit dictator to me that he would allow his brothers partner to be excluded due to her dress sense. Personally I would tell them to ram it, I have no time for social climbers who behave like this....

He'll probably want them engraved as a reminder of their happy day.

Master
    Just as an update, what watch did he supply? Sweet FA! Just a pair of cheap cufflinks. Trust a lawyer to be a tight arse! So sat here (yes, I'm antisocial hence on the forum while at the reception) with my white broad arrow on a brown Pav strap. Turns out his lawyer friends are quite happy going to Turkey for £50 fake rolexes, who'd have known. Only upside was I got to look at my aunt's lovely (real) datejust.

Blog Entries
    I hope it wasn't too terrible and that you drunk a lot of his alcohol. :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I hope it wasn't too terrible and that you drunk a lot of his alcohol. :-)
    Thanks Mark. The wedding was great (even with my other brother passing out due to a heart condition right at the beginning of the ceremony and cracking his head on the floor), butt I can't stand socializing so the reception was a bit of a pain, so spent a lot of time just sat with a pint (or few) doing work on my phone. We started on the whisky and champagne at 11am and finished at 4am, then up for my train 4 hours later. Back home now and wondering how in hell students do it. I'll still be recovering come next weekend!

I did manage to hugely offend someone about their watch though.. it was around 3am and we were in the hotel bar and I took a peek at his watch and jokingly said hey, a breit-bling (and immediately told him how nice I thought it was, first breitling I've seen that I would really love to own), but I think he missed the humorous intention and got very mouthy until I calmed him down about 20 minutes later and explained it was just a bit of fun. Lawyers... :p
    Last edited by hafle; 6th November 2016 at 16:34.

Blog Entries
    wondering how in hell students do it. I'll still be recovering come next weekend!
    Practice, lots of practice. ;-)

Glad the wedding was (mostly) good.