closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch for a wedding

Master

Watch for a wedding

The short of it is that my elder brother is getting married, and it is all going to be a bit of a fancy affair given his career progression.

I've been thrilled (and dismayed) to be given the job of usher, and as such I'd like to dress the part. By this I mean i've no say in how I dress, I'm intended to be a custard yellow banana! But the watch is one thing I can pick for myself.

I like to think speedmasters are classy, and they make up the bulk of my collection, but they're not wedding classy imo.

What are your thought on a second hand watch for a fancy wedding? I'be seen the waistcoat and it is not pocket watch friendly alas, so wondering what else I might enjoy. Only condition is that it is a kind of catch and release ordeal. I have money saved, but I would very much need to be able to easily sell the watch and replace said money (so don't make it something I'd desperately fall in love with and not wish to sell!). I guess my budget would be up to about £4k, although can go higher if i know I can get my money back. I want to do my brother proud but it's coming out of my down payment account.
    Last edited by hafle; 22nd October 2016 at 21:12.

Craftsman
    What sort of budget?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    What sort of budget?
    My appologies. I edited it as you posted. Around £4k but can go up to 10 if I know I can get my money back (see last line of edited post, and 2nd hand vintage is preferable, older the better has always been my way)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    What sort of budget?
    My appologies. I edited it as you posted. Around £4k but can go up to 10 if I know I can get my money back (see last line of edited post, and 2nd hand vintage is preferable, older the better has always been my way)

I'd just wear a speedy, I really don't get the 'fancy watch for a fancy wedding' thing at all. Outside of wis world, nobody will even notice your watch. Just enjoy the wedding 😋

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If you're not keeping it after the wedding, then I think you'll probably lose the least on resale with a Rolex (Others please correct me if I am wrong on this). If you buy from SC (if the right watch comes up), you could release the watch back to SC when your post count reaches 250 for close to or exactly what you paid for it if the condition of the watch remains the same. Assuming Rolex is an option, Datejust?

I'd be going 36mm Datejust but as others have said, in the real world no one will notice or even care what watch you are wearing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Go with a Casio F91w.

If the wedding is not to take place in the next three months or so...

Not sure I quite understand the idea of a wedding where it matters that much what watch you wear. I wore my Sinn 556 to my wedding (best wedding ever) and every wedding I've been at since. Well within your budget!

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I want to do my brother proud but it's coming out of my down payment account.
    I understand why you'd want to look and feel your best for your brother's wedding however does it really warrant buying a watch just for this single event, especially so if it means using, and potentially losing, money from what I'm presuming is a house deposit account? I would hope that your brother wouldn't think anything less of you should you wear a perfectly decent Speedie, and would he even notice? You may have already spent plenty of coin on the stag do and other wedding related costs, put what you have on a black leather strap and you'll be good to go.

Craftsman
    Distance selling rules... Buy it, send it back.

I've got to say, I think you are insane if you are considering spending house deposit money on a watch for a wedding. Watches are totally insignificant details to anyone other than the people who frequent watch forums...no one will notice but you.

This is bizarre, will he even care what you have on your wrist ? I think not.

Craftsman
    I'm with the majority of others. If you're wearing a shirt and jacket, the watch may see a cumulative one hour of day light over the course of the event. Everyone's eyes will be on the bride and to a lesser extent the groom. Nobody will even notice your watch.

The risk of losing a good chunk on resale is high, and unessessary. If you were planning on keeping it, I could appreciate it slightly more.

In summary, wear a speedy or buy a cheaper dress watch you can keep.

Nobody will notice what watch you're wearing. Wear something you have, speedy would be fine. If you must buy a dress watch a orient bambino or seiko cocktail time will do and keep it as a souvenir

Blog Entries
    I like to think speedmasters are classy, and they make up the bulk of my collection, but they're not wedding classy imo.

What are your thought on a second hand watch for a fancy wedding?
    [...]
    I guess my budget would be up to about £4k
    I'd have thought a Speedmaster would look absolutely fine. It doesn't need to be a dress watch to look damn smart.

But if you want to spend some money then a vintage square gold JLC would be nice and well under budget. And you could sell it on fairly easily. Small by today's standards but not too small imo.

I saw this one eBay a while back (listed in the USA under 'AUTHENTIC JAEGER LECOULTRE SQUARE 18K SOLID GOLD 1960s VINTAGE MANUAL WIND WATCH', sold for $981):

P.S. Here are the specs quoted in the original eBay advert:

Brand: Jaeger LeCoultre
    Model: Ref. 1900
    Case: Original
    Crown: Original, Signed
    Case: 18k Solid Gold. Signed LeCoultre Co., Swiss
    Measurements: 27 x 36 mm (1.06" x 1.42")
    Dial: Silver crosshair. Restored in the past
    Movement: Manual wind, Caliber 818/C
    Features: 17 Jewels, shock protected
    Serial Number: 1538333
    Band: Brown 100% Leather, Aftermarket, 18mm
    Buckle: Gold Plated, original Jaeger LeCoultre, signed
    Crystal: Acrylic
    Service: Yes (tested and working properly)
    Box and papers: No

P.P.S. In fact I recall that someone on here had a similar one for sale some time back. Here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...s-Watch-%A3520
    Last edited by markrlondon; 23rd October 2016 at 02:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I've got to say, I think you are insane if you are considering spending house deposit money on a watch for a wedding. Watches are totally insignificant details to anyone other than the people who frequent watch forums...no one will notice but you.
    Nail on head, well said.

Craftsman
    Have to agree that only you will notice /care so it's just not worth getting something for this occasion. If he were buying watches for ushers then that's a whole different thing and a keepsake but it's totally unnecessary otherwise.

Buy a Seiko Sarb035. Dressy enough for a wedding, versatile enough that you'll want to keep it, and nowhere near silly money.

Master
    There's a lot being said about no one will notice the watch which is true enough, also true for me is that the odd pleasant comment has been directed towards my Seiko Pogue one of the bargains I own rather than the costlier models.
    The idea of buying a watch means a lot to you so why not buy a decent vintage dress watch available from a few hundred quid up to around 3.5k for a Vacheron . The JLC previously posted looked lovely and is well with your budget.
    Remember that vintage Longine lates 50's early 60's are very well regarded and were considered high end. The pricing still doesn't really reflect that.

Master
    I fully agree about not caring, but alas he does. He and his fiance are taking this very seriously. My partner has already had to RSVP that she won't be going as is unable to conform to the dress code. I wouldn't be going either if I had the choice as its just going to be one huge snob fest.

Maybe I should just be a rebel and turn up with an orange monster :)

My partner has already had to RSVP that she won't be going as is unable to conform to the dress code.
    Your partner needs to take a good look at herself and you need to consider whether you want to be with someone who has such an obvious lack of respect for your family. Sorry, but your missus sounds like a massive cow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Your partner needs to take a good look at herself and you need to consider whether you want to be with someone who has such an obvious lack of respect for your family. Sorry, but your missus sounds like a massive cow.
    Certainly might sound that way, but the reality is different ;) if you knew the facts you'd know that the lack of respect goes the other way, with undertones of racism from certain parties.

For goodness sake, this is Watch Talk, not the Bear Pit............and even then

Master
    I'm not a fan of full out dress watches for myself, I like them but there not for me as I like to wear my watches and I don't have much cause to dress the part.

One of the reasons I love the speedy is that it goes with jeans and a shirt, or it goes well when your suited and booted.
    I'd wear a speedy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    For goodness sake, this is Watch Talk, not the Bear Pit............and even then
    I'm not too bothered. I've encountered worse judgement against her and myself due to being mixed race couple and living in a lovely slummy area of London. In fairness without facts her actions would come across that way so I don't mind.

It would appear this thread is all in vain though. Contrary to the "who cares" idea, I've spoken with my brother and there will be an usher goody bag. The ushers are all going to dress identically, down to the cufflinks. Shoes are the only thing I'm allowed to buy for myself. Thankfully a pair of brogues will be a tad cheaper than a watch, and will come in handy come job interviews as I approach graduation in the summer.

It would appear this thread is all in vain though. Contrary to the "who cares" idea, I've spoken with my brother and there will be an usher goody bag. The ushers are all going to dress identically, down to the cufflinks. Shoes are the only thing I'm allowed to buy for myself. Thankfully a pair of brogues will be a tad cheaper than a watch, and will come in handy come job interviews as I approach graduation in the summer.
    Good luck with the interviews, weddings are often too theatrical these days, folk seem to miss the point of it all.

Master

I'd advise him that all the best dressed ushers are wearing PP 5711 this season, though should this be an issue I had a look on google to see what Usher wears hope this helps your brother and good luck with the interviews.

Oh should the goody bag turn out not to contain a watch, I'd go for a Oysterquartz just like a date just but being a quartz you'll have the joy of knowing that while flying under the radar for most folk at the wedding if there are some less knowledgeable enthusiasts there that they might just try and take the rise at your "fake" Rolex with a quartz movement.....

Journeyman
    I guess in vain now, but I was thinking UG Polerouter Jet.
    Lots of nice Zeniths and Longines from 50s/60s too. Do t have any idea how would be to sell these though.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I'd advise him that all the best dressed ushers are wearing PP 5711 this season, though should this be an issue I had a look on google to see what Usher wears hope this helps your brother and good luck with the interviews.

Oh should the goody bag turn out not to contain a watch, I'd go for a Oysterquartz just like a date just but being a quartz you'll have the joy of knowing that while flying under the radar for most folk at the wedding if there are some less knowledgeable enthusiasts there that they might just try and take the rise at your "fake" Rolex with a quartz movement.....

Hahahahaha!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Certainly might sound that way, but the reality is different ;) if you knew the facts you'd know that the lack of respect goes the other way, with undertones of racism from certain parties.
    Well in that case I retract my grumpy early morning remark and slope off like a mug.

Master
    Well in that case I retract my grumpy early morning remark and slope off like a mug.
    No hard feelings :)

Anything by Graham

Craftsman
    Now that suggestion I like.

Craftsman
    Wedding sound like a nightmare, and like others I wouldn't spend anymore than I had to.
    If you definitely want a nice watch not likely to lose too much on you could do worse than look at the Junghans currently on SC (no affiliation to seller)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there are bigger issues here then selecting a watch. If your brother and future wife are so judgemental about your girlfriend, then why are you going? Spend the watch cash on a nice holiday with your girlfriend during the week of the wedding and show them where your priorities lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    In which case you need to back your partner and not go ... solves your watch problem.

Banned
    Yes, I agree => something White :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pandybelly View Post
    I think there are bigger issues here then selecting a watch. If your brother and future wife are so judgemental about your girlfriend, then why are you going? Spend the watch cash on a nice holiday with your girlfriend during the week of the wedding and show them where your priorities lie.
    ^^this

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    In which case you need to back your partner and not go ... solves your watch problem.
    ^^ and this.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I'd just wear a speedy, I really don't get the 'fancy watch for a fancy wedding' thing at all. Outside of wis world, nobody will even notice your watch. Just enjoy the wedding 

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I agreee with this, nobody will know or care about what watch you're wearing. Just wear your favourite watch from your collection and be done with it.

This wedding sounds nuts.

Out of curiosity, what is the dress code exactly? Are the undertones of racism part of the dress code itself, or a separate matter?

I don't think I've ever come across anything like it. Who wants a wedding where they'd rather have everyone look exactly as they choose over one where all of their family and friends are able to go and feel comfortable?

I would not spend from a down payment account. I would wear something I already had or go without a watch.

The ushers are all going to dress identically, down to the cufflinks. Shoes are the only thing I'm allowed to buy for myself
    That's a bit of a dodgy decision by your brother. An inappropriate pair of shoes is going to have a far greater detrimental effect on someone's appearance than a watch and/or cufflinks.

And, with the picture impression you have given (me, at least) of your brother, you should definitely forget the orange Monster.

I think he he deserves to see you rock up in orange Crocs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Remember that vintage Longine lates 50's early 60's are very well regarded and were considered high end. The pricing still doesn't really reflect that.
    Good point. In the same era, Longines also made square gold dress watches similar to the JLC above.

Blog Entries
    My partner has already had to RSVP that she won't be going as is unable to conform to the dress code.
    Good grief, having a required dress code without accepting ethnic/religious variations is rather bad taste, surely.

I'm not much of a formal event go-er but my understanding is that requests for formal wear would normally implicitly accept national/religious dress equivalents.

I wouldn't be going either if I had the choice as its just going to be one huge snob fest.
    Sounds to me like you do have a choice. :-)

Seems like a Speedmaster would be more than adequately rebellious!

I've spoken with my brother and there will be an usher goody bag. The ushers are all going to dress identically, down to the cufflinks.
    Including watches or are watches verboten?

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    This wedding sounds nuts.

Out of curiosity, what is the dress code exactly? Are the undertones of racism part of the dress code itself, or a separate matter?
    Dress code is KKK?

Master
    I'd close this thread if I could. Doh.

The wedding is indeed a big ball of wtf, however it is not entirely, or even mostly my brothers fault, but a certain family member has decided to make the wedding about her and start dictating terms through emotional blackmail, so as much as I would like to support my partner and not go, that is not fair on my brother.

The short of it is family affairs should stay family affairs, my fault for bringing it into the debate (just felt it was prudent in explaining why the watch does actually matter) but the watch is no longer an issue as other than shoes, all aspects of my attire are out of my control.

But hey, may not be the end of the world, he's a stinking rich lawyer, and I did previously ask about the style of waistcoat in reference to buying a military omega pocketwatch, so maybe there will be a spanking new speedmaster moonphase in it for me (although given there shameless gift list, it'll probably just be a seiko 5 )

I'd rather drop the whole personal family discussion if that is ok with you all, and I apologise, I know I was the one to bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

Including watches or are watches verboten?
    All I know is the text had ended with ...... ;) He knows my love of guns, knives and watches. Hopefully his lawyers brain adds two and two and decides watches are the better choice :p

This conversation is insane. The watch is the least of your worries. If your family are making it impossible for your partner to attend the wedding then you need to tell them to shove it. If this is your life-partner then you stand by her, not the rest of the family.

A few years ago we were told that my wife wouldn't be invited to my sister's wedding. This is my wife we're talking about so I told them I wouldn't be going either. I also told my sister to think very carefully about the man she was marrying and the strength of their relationship.

Would they they stand by each other the way me and my wife were? Would they have the strength to stand up, together, in the face of such a scenario?

My wife and I are stronger today than we were when we got married almost twenty years ago. They were divorced after two years.

Blog Entries
    But hey, may not be the end of the world, he's a stinking rich lawyer, and I did previously ask about the style of waistcoat in reference to buying a military omega pocketwatch, so maybe there will be a spanking new speedmaster moonphase in it for me (although given there shameless gift list, it'll probably just be a seiko 5 )
    [...]
    All I know is the text had ended with ...... ;) He knows my love of guns, knives and watches. Hopefully his lawyers brain adds two and two and decides watches are the better choice :p
    Hehe.

Hope it all goes well and that the goody bag is indeed good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Hehe.

Hope it all goes well and the goody bag is indeed good.
    Worst case scenario is I get a free venison and crayfish meal the night before :) but I'm more excited about finally getting hot water in my new flat than their wedding. 3 weeks without a hot shower takes its toll on one's psychological stability.