closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whos still riding their motorcycle?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    That's what ACF-50 was made for, spray it all over in sept, wash the bike in March.

mike
    Plays havoc on the brakes.....

Seriously though, I still take mine out most weekends as work gets in the way of taking it out midweek. Honda VFR V-Tech and the only issue is with a bloody alarm that keeps trying to run my battery flat

Graham

Journeyman

Sun was out today so was nice to take the old girl out on the commute!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DangerBabz View Post
    Sun was out today so was nice to take the old girl out on the commute!
    And what a lovely old girl she is too.

Are they TEC shocks on the rear?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I just wrote off my lovely Tiger SE. Hit by a truck. Not dead. But foot ruined. Still have my new Street Twin, which may now never get ridden again!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    And what a lovely old girl she is too.

Are they TEC shocks on the rear?

R
    Thank you, and Well spotted, by far the most value for money shocks i have ever owned!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Plays havoc on the brakes.....

Seriously though, I still take mine out most weekends as work gets in the way of taking it out midweek. Honda VFR V-Tech and the only issue is with a bloody alarm that keeps trying to run my battery flat

Graham
    Reminds me of something a fellow race mechanic said to me once. As he was liberally spraying WD40 over a suspension 'corner' to clean it, I commented about the wisdom of 'accidentally' spraying the brake disc too.........he replied that if his driver couldn't burn it off then he was no driver of his. Made me chuckle. To be fair he was a bloody good mechanic and never once lost a driver into the gravel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Reminds me of something a fellow race mechanic said to me once. As he was liberally spraying WD40 over a suspension 'corner' to clean it, I commented about the wisdom of 'accidentally' spraying the brake disc too.........he replied that if his driver couldn't burn it off then he was no driver of his. Made me chuckle. To be fair he was a bloody good mechanic and never once lost a driver into the gravel.
    You only ever polish your bike and then the seat with pledge once.

Journeyman
    Here is my mt 07. I removed all the covers to clean it a bit more before to put for a sleep. Besides, i will put 3M car wrapping foil to change the color. I can remove it any time if i want back original.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DangerBabz View Post
    Thank you, and Well spotted, by far the most value for money shocks i have ever owned!
    Just fitted a pair to mine, plus their progressive springs to the front.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    You only ever polish your bike and then the seat with pledge once.
    True, and the grips......

Master
    Went out on the beast on Sunday but it was pretty cold. Probably my last ride of the year as this Saturday I am going to a 65th birthday bash and I know that I will drink rather more than the next day's breathalyser would permit.... And it's not as if I'm exactly anonymous on the road

So it will be SORN time on Sunday and I'll put my baby to bed until the Spring

Rob

Banned
    I went out yesterday, this time I put my waterproof trousers on over my jeans for a bit more warmth.

It was quite pleasant once I got going, a joy to still be riding a month later than I normally do.

I have been trying a orange pinlock on my clear visor it is much better for clarity and contrast.

I went past Chalgrove back roads then cut across to the hellfire caves and had a cream tea, surprised to see lots of kids face painting and visiting the caves for Halloween.

also visited David Gray Yamaha then over to Hughenden M40,the owner has some of his old bikes he keeps in the showroom.
    lots of Kawasaki's, kettles and the like, they even have a café nowadays.

It felt so good on the bike that I felt like riding straight on to Portsmouth catching the ferry and going south for the sun.

180 miles on mine today.

Last edited by andy tims; 30th October 2016 at 11:51.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    180 miles on mine today.
    I only did 50 it was sunny and warm when I left 10 mins later it was overcast and cold.

But I still enjoyed it,went and collected another jacket I've had modded.

then to a farm shop I like where I was persuaded to try Alex James goat cheese,expensive but the best I've ever had.

...the owner has some of his old bikes he keeps in the showroom.
    Some pretty nice stuff he's got!

Old Japanese bikes seem to be much in demand these days, with prices rising up and up.

R

Did only about 60 miles this afternoon - it was so warm I'm thinking I should take the liner out of my jacket for rides over the weekend!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Did only about 60 miles this afternoon - it was so warm I'm thinking I should take the liner out of my jacket for rides over the weekend!

I wouldn't once that sun goes in the temperature drops.

I don't use liners I find it quicker/easier with a thinner soft shell windproof and a EDZ as an extra layer.

http://www.edzlayering.com/product/i...rt-orange-zip/

my favourite TNF head over blew its zip Monday, but its lasted maybe 10 years.

what I have found also works well are bicycle shirts/jackets they fit much better under a leather jacket without bunching up not quite as warm as the TNF though.

[especially since I lost weight as they are designed to be tight].

I bought an excellent Altura from Halfords a year ago

http://www.tredz.co.uk/altura-windproof-jackets

though I probably do it different as I don't wear a fabric winter jacket, just a regular leather old style motorcycle jacket.

I just realised its this one,though mine is a deeper nicer blue the price is even less than I paid

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Slips...cket_89486.htm
    Last edited by soapy; 28th October 2016 at 20:34.

Craftsman
    I used to commute all year around 25 years ago, but now a fair weather rider for the last 15 years or so. I dont ride my MV in winter, its got sticky tyres on it without much tread. I do ride my V-rod for winter rides out of 2-3 hours. I just ACF50 it before the salt starts going down.

Clothing wise, I usually wear waterproof kevlar jeans and a leather jacket which has a waterproof liner it. Fine if I get caught out in rain on the way home, I dont intentionally go out when wet, but if its 5 deg or more and dry I will be out. Just add jacket liner, thermal underwear, thick socks and heated gloves.

I couldnt go 4-5 months without riding my bike, I would go crazy.....

Out all year, unless it's snowing or ungritted👍

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    Out all year, unless it's snowing or ungritted
    You're a brave wee soldier............... :)

Al :)

Banned
    its to wet for me today

Visited H's diner with a mate of mine yesterday, I rode his KTM super duke there and his supercharged Triumph street triple 1050 on the way home. I thought my Daytona 955i was rapid enough but the 1300 KTM was sheer brute power personified and the supercharged triple was absolutely bonkers above 4,000rpm. He tells me it's the only supercharged 1050 triple this side of the atlantic and it produces 212bhp at the rear wheel on the dyno. It sounds absolutely gorgeous!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Visited H's diner with a mate of mine yesterday, I rode his KTM super duke there and his supercharged Triumph street triple 1050 on the way home. I thought my Daytona 955i was rapid enough but the 1300 KTM was sheer brute power personified and the supercharged triple was absolutely bonkers above 4,000rpm. He tells me it's the only supercharged 1050 triple this side of the atlantic and it produces 212bhp at the rear wheel on the dyno. It sounds absolutely gorgeous!
    Darn I had thought of cutting across to the café yesterday I would love to have seen that turbo [its a speed triple I guess not street triple?]

we should organise a meet next summer maybe?

Yep, speed triple not street - mixing my triples up just won't do!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Yep, speed triple not street - mixing my triples up just won't do!
    the street triples look great but I expect you need to be 5ft 6" not to look like a monkey

Craftsman
    Went out today, raining, but had a great ride. Ride all year, got good gear, so winter doesn't bother me too much.

Grand Master
    Popped to Halloween do at Reading HD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Journeyman
    Rykas this morning with my dad.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulliner86 View Post
    Rykas this morning with my dad.
    Good shout braved the morning mist

RIAC

Had a run out on the Zephyr this morning.

Grand Master
    Just landed at Loomies

RIAC

Ride year round. Have no other transport. 125cc scooter.

Minimal gear. I wear a waxed cotton "summer" jacket for three seasons, and a textile "three season" jacket which I only wear in the depths of winter. I don't own any bike specific trousers. I have a pair of cheap waterproof over-trousers, and a similar pair of cheap thermal over-trousers for the depths of winter. At the moment though, I'm still riding every day in my normal work trousers, or jeans on Friday. Gloves - I only own one pair. Leather, non-waterproof, and probably designed for summer use only. Don't wear bike specific footwear.

I do a minimum of 12 miles a day every day like that, and have done for 6 years.

Guess I'm just nails hard... Or stupid.

I do start wearing two pairs of boxer shorts around December, and often find myself sitting on the (heated) floor when I get in on winter evenings, trying to get the feeling back in my nether regions.

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    Ride year round. Have no other transport. 125cc scooter.

Minimal gear. I wear a waxed cotton "summer" jacket for three seasons, and a textile "three season" jacket which I only wear in the depths of winter. I don't own any bike specific trousers. I have a pair of cheap waterproof over-trousers, and a similar pair of cheap thermal over-trousers for the depths of winter. At the moment though, I'm still riding every day in my normal work trousers, or jeans on Friday. Gloves - I only own one pair. Leather, non-waterproof, and probably designed for summer use only. Don't wear bike specific footwear.

I do a minimum of 12 miles a day every day like that, and have done for 6 years.

Guess I'm just nails hard... Or stupid.
    Can I respectfully suggest you get some proper bike trousers and at least wear lace up boots? My son came off his scooter at about 20mph and made a right mess of his legs as he was only wearing normal jeans.
    Treat yourself to some winter gloves too.
    No point suffering if you ride daily.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Can I respectfully suggest you get some proper bike trousers and at least wear lace up boots? My son came off his scooter at about 20mph and made a right mess of his legs as he was only wearing normal jeans.
    Treat yourself to some winter gloves too.
    No point suffering if you ride daily.
    I'm alright thanks. I don't suffer. Except for the old meat and two veg now and then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Just landed at Loomies

I keep hearing about this place I have never been though.

Master
    Agree with Andy - all it takes is someone in a vehicle to 'not see you' or similar and there's a strong chance that you and your scooter end up parting company, unfortunately then it's too late to realise that's jeans (then your skin) vs Tarmac only has one real winner...
    Motorcyclists wear all the gear for a reason tbh but of course it's your life - your call.

Banned
    ever since I got trapped under my Honda Crosstourer coming of at less than 20mph.

and my Altbergs saved me from a mangled foot I just feel very vulnerable without bike boots.

even a pair of stout German para boots would be something [the boot of choice when I was younger, not flimsy Docs.]

I also landed on the palms of my hands my gloves also did the job,I always wear gloves/

on another note the French have now made it law you have to wear ce approved gloves, compulsory.

http://www.ministryofbikes.co.uk/blo...ves-compulsory

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Agree with Andy - all it takes is someone in a vehicle to 'not see you' or similar and there's a strong chance that you and your scooter end up parting company, unfortunately then it's too late to realise that's jeans (then your skin) vs Tarmac only has one real winner...
    Motorcyclists wear all the gear for a reason tbh but of course it's your life - your call.
    Don't preach please it's choice. I don't wear full body armour to ride my racing bike I wear Lycra like all the pro riders do and regularly hit 40-50mph with an egg box on my head. Yes it's a given that good gear will save you a few scrapes of skin. It won't stop a break but if you get whacked and snap your neck it doesnt matter how much Kevlar you had on

RIAC

I thought this thread was about cold and wet weather riding/gear?

I'd rather not discuss my safety choices, thanks. I'm not new to this.

Banned

fair enough I am against the helmet law [even though I would wear one] I believe in free choice

Biking's a compromise between safety, comfort and enjoyment.

Master

Your quite right.
    Didn't mean to come across all 'preachy', of course what you wear on your scooter is your own business and none of mine. No offence intended :-)

Master
    180 miles on mine today.

Stunning

I rode about 160 miles today through Kent and Sussex, stopping for a great lunch at the Kings Arms, Fernhurst.
    Some of the smaller roads were a bit slippery (combination of heavy fog and leaves) but otherwise very a pleasant day.

Starting to get a tad cold in the Borders, and I've only got one bike taxed now - A BMW R1200GSA.

Might take it out if the weather's good and it's dry. Other than that - it's just cleaning the bikes up, and doing odds and sods to them.

Al

150 mile today round the Lakes. Still plenty more riding days left.

Banned
    tomorrows the day to sorn or not to sorn

Banned

I met a very aggressive MOD at a gig once [his girlfriend was very scary] his name was Billy 2 coats because he wore 2 parkas on his Vespa when it got cold.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    150 mile today round the Lakes. Still plenty more riding days left.
    Great photo and nice ride by the sound of it. I went over to the Rocket centre, fairly quiet, its a funny time of year Nov can give you you some really nice dry sunny days.

tomorrows the day to sorn or not to sorn
    My Zephyr will be SORN,
    End of the month, my XJR won't.