closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tools Required to Change Omega Seamaster Strap (2531.80)

Craftsman

Tools Required to Change Omega Seamaster Strap (2531.80)

Hello,

Please could anybody point me towards which tools I need to change the OEM bracelet to an OEM strap (and vice versa) on this watch? I have recently acquired a leather strap and wish to change the bracelet out now and again.

Also, how difficult a task is this? Am I better off taking it to a professional!?

Thanks!

Master
    Hi

Pretty easy to do yourself and would recommend a "Bergeon spring bar tool". I think the one I use on my Omega is 6767-F.
    It's basically a tiny little 2 pronged fork which allows you to push the end of the spring bars in and remove/fit the bracelet/strap.

you can use any tool that fits into bracelet slot, but Bergeon 6767F is the best.

word of advice - changing bracelet might not be as easy as it is on other watches because of endlinks fits very tightly. I suggest to turn watch upside down, release springbar from one side and apply bit of pressure to that side of bracelet with your fingers, so it does not slip back in. then work opposite end of springbar and once it is released, move bracelet outwards from watch case. Remember, do not try to bend one side only it will never work, you have to release both ends of springbar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warns74 View Post
    Hi

Pretty easy to do yourself and would recommend a "Bergeon spring bar tool". I think the one I use on my Omega is 6767-F.
    It's basically a tiny little 2 pronged fork which allows you to push the end of the spring bars in and remove/fit the bracelet/strap.
    I agree with your recommendation, but - as a matter of curiosity - why did you put it in quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    you can use any tool that fits into bracelet slot, but Bergeon 6767F is the best.

word of advice - changing bracelet might not be as easy as it is on other watches because of endlinks fits very tightly. I suggest to turn watch upside down, release springbar from one side and apply bit of pressure to that side of bracelet with your fingers, so it does not slip back in. then work opposite end of springbar and once it is released, move bracelet outwards from watch case. Remember, do not try to bend one side only it will never work, you have to release both ends of springbar.
    Additional recommendation: buy the spare set of springbars before you do the swap. That way, when the originals shoot across the room to hide themselves forever in a dark recess, you will be able to complete the swap without waiting for the postman for several days.

Grand Master
    Some things are difficult to take on,removing a bracelet from a watch can't be that difficult to fathom out........can it!.

I mean what is a Bergeon tool used for if not removing a bracelet/strap from a watch!.

But if all else fails,Google I'm sure would reveal the answer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Some things are difficult to take on,removing a bracelet from a watch can't be that difficult to fathom out........can it!.
    Removing a bracelet from a watch with a 6767 in hand is indeed easy to fathom out. Removing said bracelet without leaving any scars on the lugs requires a little more patience and dexterity, so extra points are awarded for this. Not bending or losing the spring bars gives even more extra points.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Removing a bracelet from a watch with a 6767 in hand is indeed easy to fathom out. Removing said bracelet without leaving any scars on the lugs requires a little more patience and dexterity, so extra points are awarded for this. Not bending or losing the spring bars gives even more extra points.
    I know what your saying,BUT considering the watch is something you may have spent a lot of cash on or not,that shouldn't make any difference,taking care is surely something that is carried out as good practice......isn't it!.

I'm like a surgeon carrying out any task on a watch quite simply so I don't cause damage.So you don't gain extra points for being careful,you just don't get any points for being like a bull in a china shop.

As the owner of a watch surely you'd take more care than the guy you've trusted to sort it.....Afterall it ain't his watch,and I've heard and seen some watchmakers work.

Master
    Well done to anybody who can change the strap on an SMP, in my experience the spring bars are nigh on impossible to get out!

Master
    One other thing to bear in mind. The spring bars for the bracelet may be a little shorter than the ones required for a strap. They certainly are on my Speedmaster.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Well done to anybody who can change the strap on an SMP, in my experience the spring bars are nigh on impossible to get out!
    On an SMP I prefer to use a small tip and narrow screwdriver over the Bergeon tool,the Bergeon tool can be just too wide to get the correct position on the bar.
    Being careful once released is the bit where you can start shouting!,because just where would you start to look for that now airborne pin ricocheting around the room lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I know what your saying,BUT considering the watch is something you may have spent a lot of cash on or not,that shouldn't make any difference,taking care is surely something that is carried out as good practice......isn't it!.

I'm like a surgeon carrying out any task on a watch quite simply so I don't cause damage.So you don't gain extra points for being careful,you just don't get any points for being like a bull in a china shop.

As the owner of a watch surely you'd take more care than the guy you've trusted to sort it.....Afterall it ain't his watch,and I've heard and seen some watchmakers work.
    It depends to whom you are addressing the comment. I have dozens of watches and millions of straps and a lot of experience with a 6767. And I've only lost one spring bar in the past year. And I would not attempt to try to teach you how to do it. But the OP seems like they haven't done it before, so I judged that some cautionary words (albeit in dry tone) would not go entirely amiss.

As to having seen some watchmakers work, yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I've bitten my lip hard enough to draw blood.

Its possible but its difficult. The two hardest bracelets I've ever had to remove are the Speedbird III and the 2531.80, but they are doable with a Bergeon 6767F. There's no trick, you just need to be very patient and avoid getting frustrated, as this is what will cause scratches and possible nicking your fingers.

If convenient, Omega boutiques will normally do this for free.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advice! The strap came from the local Omega shop, and they offered to put it on, so I may just go ahead with this.

I assumed they would do it once only rather than whenever I fancied however, though their customer service was good.

Best advice I can give is use selotape on the lugs when refitting the bracelet/strap or you will scratch the surface when pushing the springbar into place

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Huh? Its easy as pie!

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Huh? Its easy as pie!
    Sadly, we are not all great chefs! It is certainly harder than most bracelets/straps that I have changed and involved just that little bit more bad language to persuade the thing to cooperate (yes - you have to show who is in charge!).