closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer + distressed leather

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Explorer + distressed leather

As I have yet to find a bracelet for my explorer I thought I would try a few options this morning and settled on this brown aged leather one from Stowa

upload an image

forum image hosting

I quite like it.

Master
    I like it too Mate...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Hum. I think only the original bracelet works for me. I'd say bite the bullet and get one from Rolex direct if you have problems finding one?

martyn.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks nice. I like them on NATO's also.

With regards to the bracelet, have you PM'd MarcJ? I think he normally keeps a selection in stock.

I think it looks good on that strap.

Given how many millions of Rolexes there are in the world happily attached to bracelets, I understand how hard it can be to accept them on a strap. However there's nothing in that watch's case shape which suddenly looks maimed by the removal of the bracelet, no clumsiness or weirdly bare bits of metal revealed between the lugs - the join to the strap looks natural - and I think that that choice of strap goes really well with it. If you're longing for a bracelet though.... ;)

I almost always prefer a strap to a bracelet for me it gives a watch a more 'carefree cool' like it simply doesn't need to try that hard to impress, and that is no exception. I'd go as far as putting it on a really distressed leather, something akin to a BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    I almost always prefer a strap to a bracelet for me it gives a watch a more 'carefree cool' like it simply doesn't need to try that hard to impress, and that is no exception. I'd go as far as putting it on a really distressed leather, something akin to a BB.
    You don't consider that highly pre-distressed leather isn't itself trying rather hard to impress with its studious air of carefree cool?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    You don't consider that highly pre-distressed leather isn't itself trying rather hard to impress with its studious air of carefree cool?
    Oh Dear - Heads may now explode!

Perhaps the same may apply to certain vintage watches too!

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Oh Dear - Heads may now explode!

Perhaps the same may apply to certain vintage watches too!
    The entirety of my sense of self worth is based on my vintage watches how very dare you

I have a custom made strap, and I admit that I had it made from knackered leather, but the reason was to avoid shaming the ancient irredeemably-battered chrome-plated case it was going to be attached to. Honest.

I imagine the folks who think this combination looks ok would also think it's fine to wear brown shoes with a black suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    Really? Bracelet is trying too hard to impress?

OP, I like it even if I think bracelet is probably the best fit.
    I am thinking of Rubber B as well to change it up a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I imagine the folks who think this combination looks ok would also think it's fine to wear brown shoes with a black suit.
    It's never fine to wear any suit, though sometimes it's unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Really? Bracelet is trying too hard to impress?

OP, I like it even if I think bracelet is probably the best fit.
    I am thinking of Rubber B as well to change it up a little bit.
    Similar thinking here. I'm planning on getting a black Everest strap for mine.

Anyone can buy a watch.

Finding 'the' right strap in the absence of a discernible sense of personal style is something else and if starting with the wrong watch it's impossible.

I refuse to admit the possibility that I may have made mistakes and persist unbowed with my still growing collection of 'experimental' straps.

It's all a matter of attitude, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Acceptable only for an Italian. Much like belting ones Macintosh.

Grand Master
    Have to agree with the pro-bracelet faction, most Oyster cases work far better on a bracelet than a strap. With the Explorer, the case and bracelet design flow together nicely, in the same way that an integral bracelet /head design does. This is a subtle effect that you only grasp by wearing the thing, it's almost like an integral watch, particularly on a larger wrist. I think people overlook this, it's part of the appeal of the pre 'fat lug' Rolexes and that's why I think they look fine on a larger wrist.

If you must have a strap, I wouldn`t go for brown with a black dial, particularly quite a glossy dial. As for the distressed leather thing, that's something I just don`t get. I dislike anything that's deliberately aged.

The watch is crying out for it's bracelet IMO. I'm speaking from experience, I own a similar watch and in my view the watch and bracelet have to go together. Same for all the smaller Oyster cases, forget all the rubbish about casual/cool/trying hard etc; they're Rolex watches and they look how they're supposed to look when on the right bracelet.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 17th October 2016 at 12:21.

It's never fine to wear any suit, though sometimes it's unavoidable.
    Like any uniform - it serves to differentiate, in this case the ruling classes from the lower orders. Unavoidable yes, noblesse oblige.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Acceptable only for an Italian. Much like belting ones Macintosh.
    Or sporting a blazer with very shiny gold buttons.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Father Time View Post
    I think it looks good on that strap.
    So do I , prefer it to a bracelet.

Master
    I think the brown leather with deployant clasp is a really good look on that watch.
    Black faced watches and brown straps are a good match.

Craftsman
    I like the strap and I also like the Explorer but I just don't think they look right together.

(Sorry OP, but) I've yet to see a compelling photo of an Explorer on a leather strap. Which is odd, because I think the Everest PRS-25, which bears obvious design similarities, is an extremely versatile watch that looks great on almost any type of strap, be it the bracelet, NATO or leather. It even works on a nice rubber strap. This, for instance, is my favourite and I've got a couple of similar Toshi straps for my PRS-25.

However, I don't think this would work on the Explorer. So if the Everest can pull it off, why not the Rolex?

Can't really explain, I just always feel a watch looks dressed up on steel / bracelet and dressed down on a strap, be it leather, perlon or whatever, just less showy for me. The fact it looks tatty/distressed makes it look even more dressed down for me. Absolutely no justification for my feelings as most dress watches wear leather. . Nope I can't reason it out either.

Master
    I have an Explorer as well OP (albeit a 214270). I actually like the brown strap and black dial combination but I would echo other comments. The Explorer just looks so much better on the oyster bracelet in my opinion. Get yourself one and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Craftsman
    The entirety of my sense of self worth is based on my vintage watches how very dare you

I have a custom made strap, and I admit that I had it made from knackered leather, but the reason was to avoid shaming the ancient irredeemably-battered chrome-plated case it was going to be attached to. Honest.
    I like it and yes I also wear brown shoes with various colours of suits. But then at 60 I can do what the hell I want :)

Craftsman
    One of the very few Rollies I like on a leather strap. Other than that only bracelet and nato.

Journeyman
    It works, but I think the bracelet is better. The custom Hiliary Tenznig version (not official afaik) looked good on black leather:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    As I have yet to find a bracelet for my explorer I thought I would try a few options this morning and settled on this brown aged leather one from Stowa

upload an image

forum image hosting

I quite like it.
    I like it ! Very cool !

Looks great to me on that strap. The case shape is worth showing off. Has anyone tried curved springbars and a strap on one of these?

I tried my 114270 on brown leather, tan leather, black leather, black rubber and various NATOs a couple of years ago. It went back on the bracelet after about a month and is staying on the bracelet.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    One of the very few Rollies I like on a leather strap. Other than that only bracelet and nato.
    What are Rollies?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    What are Rollies?
    ?

Craftsman
    I think the Explorer is pretty versatile. Personally, I like to swap straps on my watches occasionally. Makes them seem fresh and brings them out of the watch box more often.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    I think the Explorer is pretty versatile. Personally, I like to swap straps on my watches occasionally. Makes them seem fresh and brings them out of the watch box more often.
    + 1

Explorer + distressed leather

Yes I know it would be an expensive option but would a Rolex AD sell you a genuine Rolex strap and deployant clasp to go on an Explorer ?

I was in an AD once and a customer was asking for a new strap and the assistant asked to see the watch before selling the strap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Would look better on a NATO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

upload an image

forum image hosting

I quite like it.
    I think that looks perfect, its the same route I went with my Ranger.

I took it of the obviously distressed strap and back onto this one

have you a link for where you got the strap?

I have to agree though brown shoes with a whistle is just naff as hell along with top knots etc.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    @ Soapy

Strap is a Stowa item which came with my Marine Auto along with a black one. Just looked on Stowas site and can't see these exact straps so not sure they are still available.

Banned
    Thanks I looked on Stowas web site and couldn't see it myself.
    What was there was pricey.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    Thanks I looked on Stowas web site and couldn't see it myself.
    What was there was pricey.
    As always.

Im sure similar could be sourced from a little hunting around Soapy.

Craftsman
    Looks pretty good to me. I popped my El Primero onto a similar style strap and rather like it. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Journeyman
    Not too shabby, not too shabby at all!

Master
    My beater on an old and worn (though not distressed) strap I had made for a PAM0048 a few years ago.

Not an Explorer style I admit (have my Heritage Ranger on the bracelet as I like the quirky straight end links), but I like the look of a black faced watch on a brown strap sometimes - especially for casual wear.