closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Needing recommendations for a windows laptop

Needing recommendations for a windows laptop

Hi all

Been out of the Windows scene for decades (apple fanboy) but my wife is looking for a windows laptop and i don't know where to start - she has recently handed back (job change) a 3 yr old lenovo thinkpad L13 yoga (i5, 8gb ram, 256 HDD) and wants something similar... any recommendations in the £400 range please

thanks in advance all

Aq

Should be able to pick one of those up refurbished on eBay for your budget

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I recently handed back my work thinkpad and bought myself a matching t480 thinkpad from eBay so it would link to my existing monitor and dock set up. 32gb ram and 2tb SSD for sub £400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not helpful and I will apologise now but my recommendation would be: don’t !
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Check out Acer laptops. Brand new should be in your price range. 15.6" screen

Been generally pleased with HP laptops previously, so ordered this for the wife yesterday. Seemed a reasonable spec for the money. £431 i paid via some discount link

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/produc...pt=ABU&sel=NTB

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    Hi all

Been out of the Windows scene for decades (apple fanboy) but my wife is looking for a windows laptop and i don't know where to start - she has recently handed back (job change) a 3 yr old lenovo thinkpad L13 yoga (i5, 8gb ram, 256 HDD) and wants something similar... any recommendations in the £400 range please

thanks in advance all

Aq
    I have a Lenovo Thinkpad E15 windows 11 about twice your budget but I got a T460 off the bay; windows 10 and a pile of MS software for £440 - it is as good as the E15 but a bit heavier.

Master
    Another vote in the refurb lenovo camp, I've had several off Amazon as they come with a warranty.
    My daughters sat about 3 foot away using one now.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

Lenovo, every time. It isn't a coincidence that, when IBM sold PC's and Laptops, they were actually made by Lenovo.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Lenovo, every time. It isn't a coincidence that, when IBM sold PC's and Laptops, they were actually made by Lenovo.
    Were they? Thought Lenovo bought the IBM laptop business because certainly in the past various Thinkpads were made by LG and Acer and it was only since 2005 that Lenovo started manufacturing them…. Anyway a bit off topic.

I’m using a Dell outlet model which is perfectly adequate for general use.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Were they? Thought Lenovo bought the IBM laptop business because certainly in the past various Thinkpads were made by LG and Acer and it was only since 2005 that Lenovo started manufacturing them…. Anyway a bit off topic.

I’m using a Dell outlet model which is perfectly adequate for general use.
    The history of the IBM PC is interesting and varied. Initially IBM only saw the possibility of a Personal Computer as a product for domestic use late in the game - Apple, Acorn, Commodore and others were already competing in that market space. At that time they didn't consider it a business tool.

The design they put together was based around parts readily available 'off the shelf' but capable of expansion to a certain degree. I had one of the first commercially available type in the UK, affectionately known at the time as an IBM PC G. Intel 8088 processor single five and a quarter inch floppy disk and very little RAM, (16Mb if memory serves!), with more memory in chips that resembled multi-legged insects being able to be added at an exorbitantly expensive price; and running PC DOS.

IBM went through several architecture iterations, realising the PC could indeed become a useful business tool - I've had most of them, along with a number of 'clones' the most notable was one of the first portable PC's, a Compaq, which was more of a luggable with it's inbuilt mono CRT display and drop down keyboard.

Initially IBM had their own manufacturing facility but, following the launch of their Think Pad range they outsourced production, mainly to Lenovo - who further developed the product. IBM had started to develop their mid-range computer products around the AS400 platform and were expanding the mainframe offerings do decided to 'sell' the rights to the laptops to Lenovo who continued to develop and sell them under the Think Pad name complete with IBM logo. I've had several Lenovo made and IBM badged Think Pads, one of which, an IBM T41, I sold here in Sales Corner back in 2009.

Lenovo eventually dropped the IBM badge and I believe that there were some sort of issues in the US due to them being made in China - odd that that wasn't an issue when they had the IBM badge on them!

So yes, IBM did sell their PC business to Lenovo; but they had already outsourced the manufacture to them prior to; and Lenovo continued to use the IBM badge for some time after.

p.s. I'm now an Apple convert
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post

p.s. I'm now an Apple convert
    So am I but have just got a Windows laptop for a voluntary job I’m doing!!

For work stuff I have an HP Z book Fury!workstation it does everything well, but at £3500 it should do, it’s built like a tank and weighs a tonne

For everything else, and a lot of the time work, I have a Lenovo Ideapad flex 5, it’s brilliant weighs nothing, goes like a rocket and the flip over touch screen is really useful, great value at under £500 and for most things as good as the Fury