closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple watch any good?

Master

Apple watch any good?

Im sure this has been done to death but having moved back to ios from android im toying with a s/s apple watch for the novelty and as a beater

anyone on here got one and is it worth having at all?

Craftsman
    I recently purchased a few weeks ago,I am find it very useful and really enjoy wearing it and now with the new processor it's a lot better I went for the series 1 over the 2 just in case I didn't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm also looking to buy one and will be interested in what people have to say about it.
    I never went for the first one as I would wear it all the time and the battery life/ not guaranteed waterproof put me off.

Master
    It really depends what you want it for. As a fitness tracker it's ok ( but the Fitbit hr is better and more accurate). You can read texts on it (but it's not that difficult to get your phone out of you pocket). I've got one and use it but I can't say I'm blown away. It hasn't become quasi essential in the same way my iPhone or iPad has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    My wife has a series 1 Apple watch. and finds it really useful. I bought it in June and she wears it most of the time.

Apple watch any good?

Depends how you want to use it . If you want a fitness tracker then I don't think it is the best at this but if you want to extend the utility of your iPhone then it works well.

For me I wear one everyday- during working hours my phone is in another room and answered by my receptionist but I like being able to check who is calling and I can reply to messages and quickly scan email arrivals to see if there is anything that needs immediate attention.
    I do also use it like a hands free system to answer calls in the car.

Other little gadgets come in handy depending on how you set up the "home" watch face. I use the timer option regularly when cooking and have UK time at a glance also on the home screen.

But on the other hand (wrist)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Depends how you want to use it . If you want a fitness tracker then I don't think it is the best at this but if you want to extend the utility of your iPhone then it works well.

For me I wear one everyday- during working hours my phone is in another room and answered by my receptionist but I like being able to check who is calling and I can reply to messages and quickly scan email arrivals to see if there is anything that needs immediate attention.
    I do also use it like a hands free system to answer calls in the car.

Other little gadgets come in handy depending on how you set up the "home" watch face. I use the timer option regularly when cooking and have UK time at a glance also on the home screen.

Thanks for the Info, all sounds good. Liking the other watch too.
    Last edited by Loupe; 14th October 2016 at 12:37.

I returned mine simply because I couldn't bring myself to wear it instead of any of my "real" watches. Wearing it in addition on the opposite wrist looks stupid I feel.

If you've got a watch on your right wrist, why bother having a clockface on the Apple. Isn't there other useful info that could be taking its place? Weather forecast would be a bit boring for you, but maybe the plummeting exchange rate?

Craftsman
    The wife was an early adopter of the Apple watch and wears hers every day (in favour of the lovely Omega I bought her for Christmas a couple of years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The wife was an early adopter of the Apple watch and wears hers every day (in favour of the lovely Omega I bought her for Christmas a couple of years ago).
    Ouch! Got several Apple products but have zero need of their watch, cant stand them.

Apple watch any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If you've got a watch on your right wrist, why bother having a clockface on the Apple. Isn't there other useful info that could be taking its place? Weather forecast would be a bit boring for you, but maybe the plummeting exchange rate?
    I haven't really fiddled much since the IOS update added a lot of new options.

Activity seems to be able to be displayed in several ways on the watch face, or you can have slow motion jelly fish, rotation of the earth , position of the sun, favorite photos etc

How is this option ?

Ideally I would like to line the red dot up with the lume pip
    Last edited by MarkO; 14th October 2016 at 13:50.

You just need to take 60x12=720 photos of it, and then find an app that will rotate through the photos one a minute

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Went smartphone recently and think a ditto watch would be functional. The two women in my life have been using a smartwatch for almost two years now and the experience is that push-to-see-time is NOT practical. But then we knew that from seventies LED watches already.

The technology is developing rapidly and new designs being launched fast. Unbelievable as it seems, but as well as the Apple watch is designed and looks, imo it is already getting long in the tooth.

Anyway, what I am looking for needs to double as a proper watch, so that rules out basically all but the Pebble. That is perfectly legible in direct sunlight and has up to a week autonomy.

Craftsman
    I bought A cheap clone from amazon, it's great when I'm riding my bike as it takes a sim card and can actually function as a stand alone phone, plus it was only 20 quid. So I can leave my phone at home or in the saddle bag

Master
    My SS Milanese v2 arrives next week. I had a V1 and wore it to the gym and when working as notifications are useful. Being water proof also helps as I am not in the habit of taking them off for the shower....made that mistake with my first sports v1. Horses for courses but I like it as an alternative to real watches.

I have an iPad, iPhone, imac and MacBook pro, but I can't see the point of owning/wearing an i-watch.

I have a 38mm V1 have worn it for approx 6m. I bought the smaller size so as not to get in the way for wearing at the gym and use it mainly to record my activity.

I bought an Apple milanese loop a couple of months ago and have to say that I am very impressed, magnet grips well and can easily slacken off. Haven't tried an alternative after market loop so cannot comment on those. But if there is one upgrade to have it is the milanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    ...... the experience is that push-to-see-time is NOT practical. But then we knew that from seventies LED watches already.
    Turn the Apple watch towards you; it shows the time, presumably by reference to its acceleromoter.

I've had mine a week and its starting to make me very uncomfortable.

I thought it would be a fun holiday watch but I am completely smitten and struggling to see where my other watches fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Turn the Apple watch towards you; it shows the time, presumably by reference to its acceleromoter.

I've had mine a week and its starting to make me very uncomfortable.

I thought it would be a fun holiday watch but I am completely smitten and struggling to see where my other watches fit in.
    On your other wrist

The Apple watch is a work in progress, but with each OS release Apple is increasing its utility.

Apple pay has come in handy when I've found myself walletless (say, when coming back from the gym). The notifications allow me to triage messages better than ever. I no longer need to log into my mac, the watch does it for me. When I go for a run I listen to music on my watch via bluetooth and then review the route and heartrate data afterwards.

All good stuff, but at the same time there's a lot of problems with the watch. No sleep tracking, poor battery life, as a watch it is inferior because the display is not always on, I've found the heart rate tracking to be very poor. To be honest I like mine but I would not recommend it to the average Joe.

My wife has one too and there is one other huge benefit. For years she would miss loads of calls because her phone was in her handbag, nowdays she picks up every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I have an iPad, iPhone, imac and MacBook pro, but I can't see the point of owning/wearing an i-watch.
    I was the same, all i can say is try it.

Not having to take your phone out of your pocket every time you get a message is neat and genuinely useful.

My absolute favourite feature though is the camera app. I was in Iceland last weekend and found the ability to place the phone a few yards away then frame a picture and run the self timer from the watch screen, produced far more natural pictures than a selfie stick.

PS: Not that I've ever summoned the courage try; using a selfie stick myself or

On your other wrist
    wearing a watch in each wrist.
    Last edited by raysablade; 15th October 2016 at 14:16.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I wear one while working, and find it wonderful, I use it to time parking charges and to read the alert texts when parking is finishing, also when I am up a ladder with tools I can look at my wrist to see if the call/text is worth taking or can wait, or can even take the call/texts when I am up there.

I get facebook/whatsapp alerts and breaking news, I also use citymapper to help me out sometimes,

not a life changer, but it has its uses.

here is mine, in its tough case with lots od Wabbi lol - Edit, just cleaned it with hot soapy water that thing was disgusting, now its like new.

Last edited by soundood; 15th October 2016 at 14:31.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post

wearing a watch in each wrist.

Yep - I think the problem is calling this a watch. That is just one of the functions and as pointed out to me above the screen does not have to show a clock face.
    If you called this a wrist mounted iphone extension/accessory (catchy don't know why they didn't use that) then you are not wearing two watches.
    Before I got one I was happily wearing a fitbit on my other wrist and that could also tell me what time it was.

For me as I already wore my watch on the right wrist (right handed) it was easy to then wear the Apple device on my left so I can operate it with my right hand. I can see this being more tricky if you are a lefty watch wearer as to put the watch on the right will feel odd to start with but the Apple will need to be on the left to operate. Assuming for a right handed person and trying to avoid calling it an Apple Watch

That is just one of the functions and as pointed out to me above the screen does not have to show a clock face.
    think I would go for something like....

I've had 2 (sport then stainless) and tried to sell my stainless a month or 2 ago as was going to buy a series 2 in the states. As it happens they had none in stock

Watch os3 has changed the watched for me, primarily due to scribble which means replying to texts on the phone is a breeze and great to do.

I wear mine in rotation with my other watches (PAM312 & Ceramic Sub) but will always wear it in favour of the other 2 on certain occasions, such as all day out for the footy. Wearing another watch on the other wrist - just looks daft and overly flash IMO. Each to their own though.

I've had a number of smartwatches (loved the early Samsung models) but feel the Apple watch is pretty good now since the latest update.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    think I would go for something like....

Excellent choice!

I didn't actually use the Tudor picture!

I have had this screen since then - if you give the top knob a little touch it tells you the name of the moon phase - Waning Gibbous today - useful in the event of werewolves.

There are 2 settings on this screen - if you touch one corner you get a picture of the earth with a dot showing your location and a showing showing day/night.
    The third option shows the planet alignment very handy for tracking possible planetary Armageddon .

I showed a mate of mine - given he was photographing the full moon at the time his comment was I was even more of a geek than him ( and he writes program code for a hobby)

On the something on each wrist subject, I see more people doing this - certainly fitbits etc are quite commonly worn and it's not that unusual to see a watch as well.
    I'm wearing my JeanRichard today so a black band with a square lump on each wrist.

As an Android user I feel the need to extol the virtues of a round Moto 360 smartwatch which allows for plenty of customisation. If I ever get round to buying one I would definitely use this watch face:

I got one from SC last week, was a bit sceptical when they first came out and I'm a total iGeek.

Absolutely delighted with it, find the functions very useful, the Wallet app came into its own today for an eticket at local cinema, anyone who's ever tried to juggle a phone plus two armfuls of drinks and snacks for kids will empathise. Like the notifications, but the activity and pulse are big ones for me, trying to keep a good run of fitness over the summer going. It's now relegated my Suunto Core to the drawer, and G Shock for swimming use only. I still have my 5513 for special occasions. I tend not to wear watch at night or in the shower so the daily charging is no hardship, just stick it on charge last thing when I'd be putting my other watches on bedside table anyway. Sport strap is ultra comfy and have it fitted with a Zagg screen protector so durability/knocks thus far have not been an issue. Would probably use my G for heavy duty DIY anyway. Would highly recommend.

Master
    We are the epitome of the Apple household with everything from A to Z. I love the interconnectedness simplicity of it all.

Madame wanted a fitness tracker so I bought her an Apple Watch. No1 daughter wanted one too, and being a watch guy I had to have one too.

The functionality (especially if you're already Appled-up is amazing. I can add that SWMBO has dropped two dress sizes in six months of wearing it.

Personally, mine lasted a month or two before being moved on.

The reason is daft. It was fighting my mechanicals. If you don't wear it all the time then the metrics lose continuity. It doesn't take into account that yesterday I wore my Tudor and did actually move around so don't need shouting at.

Summary;
    Aesthically beautiful, game changing straps.
    Massively functional, gen2 even has decent waterproof rating.
    Joy to use.
    Must be your only watch.

My only grump about it (really the only grump) is the half second delay in turning your wrist and the display firing up. I am led to understand this has been improved in the new gen.

Anyway, wife and daughter are in love with theirs. I'm currently wearing a GO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Must be your only watch.
    Nope - 2 wrists

I sold my original Watch, having been rather disappointed by it. But OS3 has totally transformed the product, and my new Series 2 hasn't left my wrist since I bought it several weeks ago. I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

The cheapest aluminium ones are the only ones that make any sense, however. These are disposable items, like phones, something you'll want to chop in every couple of years. Don't make the mistake of buying a stainless steel one, you'll take a haircut on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Don't make the mistake of buying a stainless steel one, you'll take a haircut on it.
    I disagree, In my opinion Stainless and sapphire will hold value better as have had the Sports one and it looked shagged after a couple of months with both case and plastic screen/face scratched.

As a sports only watch the Sports one is a good prop. If you're wearing all day the stainless looks smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    I disagree, In my opinion Stainless and sapphire will hold value better as have had the Sports one and it looked shagged after a couple of months with both case and plastic screen/face scratched.

As a sports only watch the Sports one is a good prop. If you're wearing all day the stainless looks smarter.
    Same here re disagreement.

Absolutely leaps in front quality and feel wise. I've had both. The sport feels very cheap in comparison. I will add I bought my stainless used though.

My OG Apple Watch Sport has held up surprisingly well after a year despite of abuse and sweat

I disagree, In my opinion Stainless and sapphire will hold value better...
    But they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Same here re disagreement. Absolutely leaps in front quality and feel wise. I've had both. The sport feels very cheap in comparison.
    I don't disagree in terms of quality. I've also owned both.

Grand Master
    Wouldn`t be seen dead in one.

I don't disagree in terms of quality. I've also owned both.
    And youd rather have the aluminium?

Blog Entries
    I disagree, In my opinion Stainless and sapphire will hold value better ....
    How is holding value relevant for an item that will be chucked in the garbage in a couple of years time?

I like the look of the black/green Nike + one being released next week. But I'm not sure I like it enough to buy one.

Banned
    I purchased one a bit more than 8 months back. after 1 week it landed into the drawer...

To me the weak point is the one day battery :( :( :( Until the battery performance will not better better => YES!!! it does not worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    And youd rather have the aluminium?
    No.

Journeyman
    Great for us gadget lovers, my son has pinched mine lol!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    How is holding value relevant for an item that will be chucked in the garbage in a couple of years time?
    It was relevant to the thread.

I agree they aren't long term items but I was referring to which takes wear and tear and looks better for everyday use.

Master
    But they don't.
    Maybe I used the wrong words whilst responding the the "taking a haircut" comment. What I meant the SS would be in better condition vs. Alu in 12 months time so probably worth a higher % of RRP.

I bought my Alu one for £340 and sold for £165 after 9 months, I bought my Series 1 SS for £599 and sold it for £370 after 10 month. 10% better residual value.

It's certainly not an investment!!

how far can your phone be and the watch still function(emails/messages etc)?

Depends but I find 10-20m depending on surroundings etc, was away at a hotel at weekend and was able to take calls and messages in lobby when my phone was charging back in room, which was handy.

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    how far can your phone be and the watch still function(emails/messages etc)?
    Mine works from the next room through a weak wood door and Sheetrock walls maybe 20 feet.

Doesn't work at home with concrete walls

The Watch can be miles away from your iPhone if both have been on the same wifi network. It will switch to a known wifi network if Bluetooth connectivity to the Watch is lost.

The Watch can be miles away from your iPhone if both have been on the same wifi network. It will switch to a known wifi network if Bluetooth connectivity to the Watch is lost.
    I did wonder is that since the IOS update as I now notice watch and phone are tracked separately on Find my iPhone