closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide anyone?

Nearly every week. Regularly do beef joint for sunday dinner, fish, pork ribs etc. Infact got the folks round today so a few fillet steaks at 55C or so will be done today.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I will havee sous-vide tuna today. Yummy.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Anova today, looking forward to trying some steak at the weekend.

I have been following this thread with interest. How are people getting on I am considering an Anova model?

I like the idea but feel it might be one of those gadgets that will sit in the back of cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I have been following this thread with interest. How are people getting on I am considering an Anova model?

I like the idea but feel it might be one of those gadgets that will sit in the back of cupboard.
    Asked and answered about a week ago. Check it out from this message forward:

Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    Thread revival! One year on, is anyone that bought a sous vide “machine” still using it? I’m getting tempted by one but have a feeling it could end up like a lot of my other kitchen gadgets. Aldi have one on offer this week for £50 but I’m also tempted by the Anova mentioned in this thread.

Following. Dropped hints that i wanted one for my bday, so fingers crossed I maybe lucky!

Banned
    Blog Entries

70 off the Anova Precision Cooker for Black Friday....

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-prec...SAAEgIPVPD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Apersonofsorts View Post
    If its a nice thick piece with lots of fat on the side (e.g. sirloin) then I use a carbon steel pan (like cast iron but smooth) bringing it up till smoking point, searing the fatty side to rend and crispen it then just a minute or so on each side cooking in its own fat.

Otherwise with a thin and lean piece of meat like a flatiron or hanger steak then it gets browned with a blow torch to avoid any overcooking, I might brown some butter to give it that nice nutty taste and some added fat.

Had a sublime rose veal steak the other night, plenty of marbling throughout and very tender, definitely glad I got a sous vide machine as it was cooked to perfection.
    For searing meat - I use a cast iron or a steel/ceramic skillet on a tabletop induction hob.

The surface temp of the skillet reaches >230Cdeg in rapid time. (So fast, that I cracked an oval cast skillet on first attempt!)

To save the kitchen/house filling up with smoke/cooking products - I put the hob outside on the table, under the gazebo and finish off the food there.

For all the time it takes - getting a little bit cold, is a price worth paying.

Tefal table-top skillet is around £47 from most outlets, and seems good quality. (compared to a gas ring- it isn't affected by the breeze outside either)

Yes, carbon steel and cast iron are unbeatable for searing. Just stay the hell away from anything Teflon for high-temperature use, or better yet, for any use. :)

The recent steak-pan thread reminded me of this one, so here's an update.

Novelty is no longer much of a factor over a year in, and I find that the s-v circulator has been a very worthwhile addition. Although it's not an everyday thing for me, it gets used more than often enough (i.e. about once a week on average) to justify its existence, and it's in use right now to get three kilos of pork rib ready to broil for Christmas dinner. For things like big holiday meals, being able to prepare stuff days in advance and then quickly finish it with a grill/broiler/pan/blowtorch is a big advantage.

As its functionality can't be duplicated by other means and the results are often superior to any other method, plus it's efficient and doesn't have to be terribly expensive, I can't see any reason not to get one.

Here is my solitary dinner for tonight.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Here is my solitary dinner for tonight.

That looks mighty fine mate! Rib eye on the bone if I’m not mistaken? How are you going to cook that whopper?

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    That looks mighty fine mate! Rib eye on the bone if I’m not mistaken? How are you going to cook that whopper?
    Two or three hours in sous vide at 53 degrees and then a minute each side on the Weber at maximum heat.

Two or three hours in sous vide at 53 degrees and then a minute each side on the Weber at maximum heat.
    I hope English mustard is involved in the eating process!

Salt, pepper and maybe some good olive oil or butter are enough for any half-decent steak, let alone a top-grade cut of rib.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Salt, pepper and maybe some good olive oil or butter are enough for any half-decent steak, let alone a top-grade cut of rib.

Not for me.

Steaks cooked in plastic call for plenty of ketchup
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Steaks cooked in plastic call for plenty of ketchup
    Each to their own. Enjoy.

Well hello...
    Replaced our old slow cooker and the new one doubles as a 'sous vide' bath. Tried it out yesterday with a couple of duck breast (1hr @56c then flashed on a very hot griddle). Delicious!
    Looking to do some lamb next, either chops or a joint.

Nice; duck is amazing.

Had some chicken breast tonight that, after about two hours at 63 degrees, came out juicy and tender to an extent that I didn’t even know was possible with a lean cut. A quick sear in the pan with an oil, grated-ginger, honey, chilli and lime glaze finished it off properly.

Better yet, the entire operation only required about ten minutes of actual working time.

Possible Dumb Question Alert!

The wife came home yesterday with a pork loin with Italian herbs that is already vac-packed.
    Any reason why I shouldn't just bung that in the sous vide bath?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    The wife came home yesterday with a pork loin with Italian herbs that is already vac-packed.
    Is the packaging bpa free?
    Are you comfortable that the packaging will stay sealed in the water bath for x hours?
    If not then re pack it.

Sous Vide anyone?

The finishing touch

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    The packaging is obviously food-grade. At the temperature you’ll be using, there’s no problem.

The packaging is obviously food-grade. At the temperature you’ll be using, there’s no problem.
    That was my thought. Quite often you get those packs with some oil/slice of orange etc included - which would tend to leetch out constituents of the packaging without elevating the temparatures.

So - assumed the packaging was safe.

Al

I'm sure you're right but I transplanted it to another bag anyway.
    Delicious!

Followed this thread for a while but revisited mainly because I was bought a slow cooker for Christmas.

Bought an Uno/Codlo to go with it as an easy/cheap option and looking forward to having a play.

Nice; duck is amazing.

Had some chicken breast tonight that, after about two hours at 63 degrees, came out juicy and tender to an extent that I didn’t even know was possible with a lean cut. A quick sear in the pan with an oil, grated-ginger, honey, chilli and lime glaze finished it off properly.

Better yet, the entire operation only required about ten minutes of actual working time.
    Did 3 x chicken breasts last night, 2hrs at 60Cdeg, and flung under the preheated grill with more marinade on - to eat cold with salad.

Certainly seems tender, and much less smoke in the kitchen due to reduced grill-time. Would be great for doing large amounts of chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Did 3 x chicken breasts last night, 2hrs at 60Cdeg, and flung under the preheated grill with more marinade on - to eat cold with salad.
    Certainly seems tender, and much less smoke in the kitchen due to reduced grill-time. Would be great for doing large amounts of chicken.
    Chicken breasts on Thursday.
    In the bag with some lemon and tarragon, probably a couple of hours at 62c then under a hot grill to crisp the skin.

Master

Smoked Brisket

Its been a while since I had the Sous-Vide out so at the weekend after some chat with Mj2k about cheaper cuts I went out and brought some Silver side to try for a Sunday roast, which turned our very well.

While I was out I saw some brisket and I'd been fancying trying the sous-vide smoked brisket recipe here:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...as-recipe.html

I used my normal smoking rub, put this on vac'd and left in the fridge for a couple of days to start a cure (along with some liquid smoke)
    Then sous-vide at 67c for 34 hours and then dried it off, re rubbed and back in the oven for a couple of hours at 135c
    It lost about 200ml which I reserved and used to make some gravy

As it came out of the SV:

Out of the oven and carved:

This leftover made two great brisket sandwiches with the leftover gravy for dipping....

I think overall a success but next time I might drop the SV temp to 60 for a little firmer brisket.

That brisket looks great, something I keep meaning to have a go at. I've currently got a rack of ribs being sous-vided right now. Put in last night about 5pm at 64C (should've been earlier but I forgot) and will take out about 6pm tonight. I'll then put it in the oven for an hour about gas mark 4. Just deciding either to reapply the dry rub before going into the oven to try to get a good bark which is something I've not done before or coat it in the sauce I normal make.

https://www.seriouseats.com/ is a great source for sous-vide recipes.

I have also tried various 30h+ recipes and found that I like the texture of the meat better when in the sous-vide at 60-62° rather than 68-72°. Same for pork belly, 36h at 62° and then into the oven at max temperature. Wow.
    Last edited by Raffe; 2nd March 2018 at 14:58.

https://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous%20vide is a great source for sous-vide recipes.
    Agreed, and it's not only for sous-vide that the site is a top-grade resource.

For just one example of something I didn't know existed that became indispensable once tried, have a read about preserved lemons there sometime. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    That brisket looks great, something I keep meaning to have a go at. I've currently got a rack of ribs being sous-vided right now. Put in last night about 5pm at 64C (should've been earlier but I forgot) and will take out about 6pm tonight. I'll then put it in the oven for an hour about gas mark 4. Just deciding either to reapply the dry rub before going into the oven to try to get a good bark which is something I've not done before or coat it in the sauce I normal make.
    Both?

Dry rub for 3/4 of the time to get some bark and 1/4 with sauce to get some sticky tang.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Both?

Dry rub for 3/4 of the time to get some bark and 1/4 with sauce to get some sticky tang.
    This what I normally do but I was thinking about just doing another dry rub in the oven and use the sauce for dipping afterwards.

Ribs came out really well last night. Did a dry rub, sous vide 64C for 24hrs, pat dry, roast in the oven for 1 hr at gas mark 4 then applied the sauce and roasted for another 30min. I want to try them at 36hrs next time but these turned out really tasty and the fats just melted.DSC_0552.JPGDSC_0555.JPG

Master
    Si, that brisket looked good - might give that a go, as my full packer hunting locally is failing for the BGE.

I use a rub on beef short ribs that tastes amazing. Strangely the exact same rub from the same batch I made, when used on brisket tastes of nothing but pepper - very weird & one I cannot fathom based on surface area etc.

Can you post your rub recipe?

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Sure Matt,

I rubbed the brisket in french’s mustard going into the SV.

This is the rub:
    - 2 Tbsp Paprika
    - 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
    - 1 Tbsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    - 2 Tbsp Salt
    - 1/2 Tsp Celery Seeds, Crushed
    - 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano, Ground
    - 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme, Ground
    - 1 Tbsp Sumac
    - 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
    - 1 Tbsp Mustard Powder
    - 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    - 1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds, Toasted & Ground
    - 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds, Toasted & Ground
    - 1 1/2 Tbsp Chilli Powder
    - 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
    - couple of cloves
    - few allspice berries
    - 1 Tbsp of onion powder
    - 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
    - 1 Tbsp Sichuan pepper

Makes a fare sized batch.

Master

Sous Vide anyone?

Sure Matt,

Makes a fare sized batch.
    Cheers, will be giving that a go. Great flavour profiles looking at the ingredients.

Master
    Been a while since this thread was bumped and a lot of photos have been lost to the great photobucket cull.

I went to Costco in the week and had a fun afternoon Wednesday vac packing the half ribeye, half fillet and pork shoulder.

Here’s the steaks ready to vac pack.

Here’s half the pork shoulder covered in American mustard and my rub, I added a couple of tsps of mesquite liquid smoke to this.

And this is where it will be until three pm tomorrow, then it’ll get re-rubbed and in an oven for a couple of hours to bark up.

I use some old foam garage floor tiles as a insulation jacket on my 12 ltr vessel.

Thanks for the post — that's proper quality.

And this is where it will be until three pm tomorrow, then it’ll get re-rubbed and in an oven for a couple of hours to bark up.

I use some old foam garage floor tiles as a insulation jacket on my 12 ltr vessel.
    I have the same machine, really pleased with it. I'm going to have to try your dry rub when I get home in a few weeks. Do you use it on ribs as well?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I have the same machine, really pleased with it. I'm going to have to try your dry rub when I get home in a few weeks. Do you use it on ribs as well?
    I suspect it could well be used on ribs but I haven’t done any yet, it works well on brisket though.

They are good machines, I have a suspicion that they are designed for medical / scientific use and re-badged.
    I like having 1400w vs the 900w that a lot of the other machines offer.

Master
    What’s the make of kit then? Mine is an all in one device, a bit like a slow cooker but does limit the amount I can cook.

Quite like the immersion ones, as can use my stockpot.

On the back burner though as my vacuum sealer has finally given up the ghost.

Master
    I use these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vactec-Ther...eywords=Vactec

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubbermaid-...8JF5KXSB088CWY

Most of the wand types are only 800w so can have trouble raising and maintaining temp plus I’ve seen reviews where they have failed quite quickly hence me getting this one with 1500w
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 31st March 2018 at 17:12.

Master
    Thirty odd hours left the pork looking like this

Re-apply the rub before going in the oven

Out of the oven, shred and eat

The 1.4kg shoulder lost this much liquid in the water bath, which I reserve to make my next batch of bbq sauce

Master
    Thanks, will give it a full research, particularly as you are insulating yours.

Given I know you have a smoker, how does the pork compare, o LY tried friends’ faux pulled pork, and theirs is easier, but never as good. After a genuine comparison, as if this is as good...why bother with my BGE for it!?

Hoping it’s just an easy pork dish; as you know I’m pretty heavily invested in the more traditional route!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Although the losses you’ve seen for your next sauce are something I can never get back from my BGE. Interesting if you did meat on both & calculated the difference in loss via both methods.

If the bbq is better, I can sacrifice a butt for amazing sauce quite easily

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    You can buy some already insulated vessels now, I wasn’t aware of that at the time, have a look on google, think cool box / food delivery box and you’ll get it.
    Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professiona...D12AATZHFKVYN5

Obviously check the size is suitable.
    Actually that’s not a great example the one I’m looking for has a hard plastic liner more suitable to the higher temperatures in a SV use.

The difference are,
    Bark, better on the smoker.
    Time, longer in SV, but it’s a known time, no wondering what time you’ll eat because of the stall in the smoker.
    The liquid smoke in the SV helps but again it’s not the same as the smoker.
    Ease well obviously the SV is much easier. Also easier / more convenient to do smaller portions.
    The SV is more hands off cooking.

I still smoke but not so much until the weather improves. It’s definitely worth trying if you haven’t.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 31st March 2018 at 21:56.