closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide anyone?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Well you could but I don't think that it would stay in there for very long

In seriousness, my plan was to fill a suitably sized vessel of some description with water and then place it inside drawer until the water is at optimum temperature; or near enough. Then individually seal steaks in Ziplock type backs being careful to remove as much air as possible and place them in the water.

Will it work?
    Try it, I suspect not you wouldn't have the granular control of heat, our warming drawer has maybe six levels.

You could put a vessel filled with water and use a remote temp probe to monitor but IMHO by the time you've done that you might as well buy the cheaper water circulator

I think if you tried with putting the container in the drawer full of water then put a thermometer in the water you could see how the water got up to temp - what temp it reached and how stable that was.
    Can you set a temperature for the drawer or is it just a one temp

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Sous vide seems all well and good but I have to say,in my opinion,it's a bit of a faff. If I want a steak then I want it in the near future,not in 3-5 hours time. Each to their own.

Well you could but I don't think that it would stay in there for very long

In seriousness, my plan was to fill a suitably sized vessel of some description with water and then place it inside drawer until the water is at optimum temperature; or near enough. Then individually seal steaks in Ziplock type backs being careful to remove as much air as possible and place them in the water.

Will it work?
    Can you monitor the water temperature? That's the advantage of a proper water bath, plus it can heat the water fairly quickly when whatever you're cooking is introduced. The method relies on heating the meat etc and maintaining an even temperature. When you say "near enough" you have to think what that implies. A few degrees makes quit a difference in the doneness of meats, for example.

If your vessel contains a lot of water (at or just above the right temperature) and you don't introduce anything too big, I suppose it might work. Much will depend upon how well controlled the temperature is within the drawer. I'd expect there to be quite a bit of hysteresis, ie the thermostat would cut in several degrees below the set temperature and go off above it. You're relying on the thermal capacity of the water to smooth things out. That's quite a few variables to account for and control. While it may not be perfect, you should be able to achieve something like the desired result, even if it takes a bit of experimenting to get it right.

That's my view of the theory. Then I went to the net to see if I could find any practical advice. I came up with this warning: link. It seems that stove top methods are to be preferred and don't all use a circulator, but a decent thermometer is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Each to their own I say. You recognise that you are of the old school but accuse others that are not of being snobs. Isn't that inverted snobbery?
    Since I came first, no!

Honest question: what's the difference in flavour between steaming fish or veg and sous vide?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Since I came first, no!

Honest question: what's the difference in flavour between steaming fish or veg and sous vide?
    I don't believe that precedence has anything to do with it. It's a matter of attitude.

Honest answer; done well there's probably not a lot of difference in taste between the two for fish and veg. But it's probably a bit easier to achieve a consistently good result with sous vide. The downside being that it's more of a faff.

I think the difference in being able to achieve results is more apparent with meat, especially red meats. Grilling is generally the best alternative and it takes skill/experience to bet the best results. That's how chefs build their reputation. If it was easy, we'd all be doing it. Sous vide makes it a bit easier to approach their standards. Top chefs also use it to make their task of producing high quality food easier.

You'd be better to ask an expert:

...Then there is this, from Marcus Wareing:

What are your most and least used pieces of kitchen kit?

I think I would say my sous vide machine. I have had one for about four years now and use it a lot in the kitchens at the Berkeley. It's a very good way of cooking: it's slow and you can keep the temperature under control precisely. I use it for meat and fish, the whole lot. But it works best with fish, it prevents it overcooking and drying out. Poach a fish and it tightens in the boiling water, you see; this way, it doesn't. Least used piece of kitchen equipment lives at home. We never use the kettle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Try it, I suspect not you wouldn't have the granular control of heat, our warming drawer has maybe six levels.

You could put a vessel filled with water and use a remote temp probe to monitor but IMHO by the time you've done that you might as well buy the cheaper water circulator
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I think if you tried with putting the container in the drawer full of water then put a thermometer in the water you could see how the water got up to temp - what temp it reached and how stable that was.
    Can you set a temperature for the drawer or is it just a one temp
    Can you monitor the water temperature? That's the advantage of a proper water bath, plus it can heat the water fairly quickly when whatever you're cooking is introduced. The method relies on heating the meat etc and maintaining an even temperature. When you say "near enough" you have to think what that implies. A few degrees makes quit a difference in the doneness of meats, for example.

If your vessel contains a lot of water (at or just above the right temperature) and you don't introduce anything too big, I suppose it might work. Much will depend upon how well controlled the temperature is within the drawer. I'd expect there to be quite a bit of hysteresis, ie the thermostat would cut in several degrees below the set temperature and go off above it. You're relying on the thermal capacity of the water to smooth things out. That's quite a few variables to account for and control. While it may not be perfect, you should be able to achieve something like the desired result, even if it takes a bit of experimenting to get it right.

That's my view of the theory. Then I went to the net to see if I could find any practical advice. I came up with this warning: link. It seems that stove top methods are to be preferred and don't all use a circulator, but a decent thermometer is essential.
    Apologies, I had a date with my eldest and the new Trolls movie this afternoon - 98 minutes I won't get back

Our warming draw has 4 settings: 30°C, 40°C, 60°C and 80°C. I am unsure what temperature setting the selector between each of those will output e.g. if I set it half way between 40°C and 60°C will I achieve 50°C? I suspect not but will be giving it a go. I note that Miele make a sous-vide warming drawer, back when we first started our project the kitchen was going to be wall-to-wall Miele...oh how things changed! That said, Mrs. MST tells me that apparently our AEG steam oven has a sous-vide cooking function.

[QUOTE=Glamdring;4114068]I really hate this food snobbery. Raw - blue - meat is slimy and deeply unpleasant. If you like that you're weird. As I noted elsewhere I cooked a duck breast (pan then oven) so it was just blushing in the middle. Slimy and unpleasant. Now, you're not going to believe me so stop trying to tell me that you're way is 'right'.
    I'm every much of the old school when roasting a chicken: 20mins/lb then 20mins. Falls off the bone and is lovely.[/QUOTE

+1only cats eat raw meat in my house.
    Giles Coren wont pay for boil in the bag either.

Nope.

(...)I think it's a case of using common sense and adjusting to the needs / health of the diners.
    Yes.

That said, Mrs. MST tells me that apparently our AEG steam oven has a sous-vide cooking function.
    If you use the warming drawer option then a thermometer to check water temp seems pretty simple.

How does the oven cooking function work ? Do you just put a water container in the main oven ?

My oven is desperately old and old fashioned but my washing machine has a steam function- perhaps I can cook Sous Vide in that

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Yet another thing I've come across on TZ I "need". I've thought about sous vide, but I don't want a lot of huge equipment filling up my kitchen. This way I only need serious space in the cupboard for the vacuum sealer.

So thanks, I guess.
    You don't actually need a vacuum sealer. Just lower a zip lock bag with the meat / fish in it into the water with just a small opening left in the top. The water pressure expels the air out of the bag, seal the bag just before its submerged. This is the method I'll be using.

Call me old fashioned. In my opinion, the only way to cook a prime cut of beautifully aged and dried meat to to roast it on the stove with lashings of butter, and rest it well before devouring it.

I'm fortunate to eat in a great deal of good restaurants for my line of work. The sous vide method of cooking just doesn't impart the amount of flavour onto/into the meat that a stove can. Even after its been given colour in a pan after sous vide.

It's like having sex with a condom on, it's still pretty nice, but just ain't the bloody same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    If you use the warming drawer option then a thermometer to check water temp seems pretty simple.

How does the oven cooking function work ? Do you just put a water container in the main oven ?

My oven is desperately old and old fashioned but my washing machine has a steam function- perhaps I can cook Sous Vide in that
    You jest but I take it you've never heard of poaching a whole salmon in a dishwasher

I'm led to believe that the steam oven has a reservoir that you fill in a similar way to adding detergents etc. to a washing machine (as we're on the subject). We've yet to use it, almost as though we're giving it a wide berth like some kind of alien technology!

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    You don't actually need a vacuum sealer. Just lower a zip lock bag with the meat / fish in it into the water with just a small opening left in the top. The water pressure expels the air out of the bag, seal the bag just before its submerged. This is the method I'll be using.
    Thanks for the tip, but I already have the Anova and a Caso VC10 as recommended by Raffe coming up. I read that ziplock won't do for really long cooking times. That's definitely my cuppa in traditonal cooking, so I want to do it sous vide too.

I saw some insulating floaters on Amazon. What's the more experienced opinion on them? Does one really need them on a lidless set-up like mine?

Edit. These: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacuum-Isol...dp/B01LYLQ898/
    Last edited by Possu; 16th October 2016 at 10:31.

Blog Entries
    You jest but I take it you've never heard of poaching a whole salmon in a dishwasher

I'm led to believe that the steam oven has a reservoir that you fill in a similar way to adding detergents etc. to a washing machine (as we're on the subject). We've yet to use it, almost as though we're giving it a wide berth like some kind of alien technology!
    Can you let me know how you get on with your warming drawer experiment? I have one with a variable/ not fixed temp setting, so, I might be onto something... would be willing to give it a go, if I can get consistent temp... might have a go with some Salmon...

Off to get ziplock bags now!

Master
    I have an actual steam oven. We put it in rather than the microwave combi as the second oven when the kitchen was re done. I think it is more popular in Germany as an idea. Have to say it does potatoes and veg a treat. We also do salmon (and other fish) in there which comes out superbly. Typically I do an entire fish meal I.e. Salmon, potatoes, veg all at once (adding the veg later) and it is about 25 mins all in. Pretty easy to clean up and you get no flavour transfer either. It also keeps the steam internalised so less in the kitchen area now it is a kitchen/diner/living room.

I've used sous vide mainly for steaks in an attempt to get them butter tender. I don't mind a bit of chew but my wife does and if I want steak, they have to be tender. I've used sirloin, wagyu, New York strip, rump and rib-eye with inconsistent results. Maybe I'm not doing it right, I put them in a vacuum sealed pouch into the tank at 60 degrees for 2 hours and then brown them in a hot frying pan.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Thanks for the tip, but I already have the Anova and a Caso VC10 as recommended by Raffe coming up. I read that ziplock won't do for really long cooking times. That's definitely my cuppa in traditonal cooking, so I want to do it sous vide too.

I saw some insulating floaters on Amazon. What's the more experienced opinion on them? Does one really need them on a lidless set-up like mine?

Edit. These: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacuum-Isol...dp/B01LYLQ898/
    Never seen those but I brought a large plastic tub and lid to allow me to reduce evaporation and heat loss, got them from amazon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've used sous vide mainly for steaks in an attempt to get them butter tender. I don't mind a bit of chew but my wife does and if I want steak, they have to be tender. I've used sirloin, wagyu, New York strip, rump and rib-eye with inconsistent results. Maybe I'm not doing it right, I put them in a vacuum sealed pouch into the tank at 60 degrees for 2 hours and then brown them in a hot frying pan.

Eddie
    If you haven't already have a read of this:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/f...ide-steak.html

It suggests that you need to be cooking for longer to get the consistency you want, have you thought about putting your wifes in for say six hours and yours in for four and then you'll get a spread and an idea if length of cooking will deliver the results you want.

I've got a Sirloin and Ribeye in for six hours from frozen, dependant on post pub state I'll let you know how they were.

Off the back of this thread I have bought one of the Anovas circulators. It's a bit of a shame that I missed out on the Bluetooth only one but at least it's £50 off. Thanks for the heads up.

Whats difference between the 'pouch clipped to side' method over vacuum bags? I can see that it would be more practical if cooking for more than one but the missus is more or less a vegetarian. If there's not a lot in it there is no point in me spending more on a vacuum sealer.
    Last edited by Matt London; 16th October 2016 at 16:28.

Blog Entries
    Lidl had a sous vide machine in it for £30... was tempted, but, will try with warming drawer first as it was big and would need storing somewhere

Several point comments on stuff in this thread (and I'm quite interested in trying it).

Warming drawers are mentioned a lot in this thread but surely a modern oven is just as good (and probably has a better thermostat). Ours has a dough-proving setting - also good for yogurt.

Can't see any cheap lab water baths on eBay. I worked in labs for many years and personally I'd be wary of buying second hand examples because of the risk of contamination (either chemical or biological) - even if apparently clean.

Soundood's calculation seems to assume that (like a kettle) the heater is full on the whole time, obviously not the case.

Finally, is the Anova also powered wirelessly - it appears to be devoid of any power supply?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    ...Finally, is the Anova also powered wirelessly - it appears to be devoid of any power supply?!
    Not at 800 W!

Rather like an aquarium heater.

Craftsman
    Some of the best meat I have ever had was sous vide. Only cupboard space has been keeping me from seriously considering one. Now that is no issue any longer with the immersion heaters.

What is the consensus on the vacuum bag part? Will ziplocks do?

Cheers
    Mabuse

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
    Will ziplocks do?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    No.
    Ziploc bags worked fine for my ghetto sous-vide trials...

Too risky for me.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

What is the consensus on the vacuum bag part? Will ziplocks do?

Cheers
    Mabuse
    Ziplock bags are fine when using the water displacement method. This is the method I'll be using. Plenty about it on the net.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Ziploc does work to try sous vide out, but I tend to throw them away after using them since they get oily and dirty, though others may not. At which point getting a roll of sous vide plastic cutting it yourself and vacuum sealing it works out better. Plus some of them are rather frail and once I ended up with a puncture resulting in boiled meat instead of sous vide.

Quote Originally Posted by Apersonofsorts View Post
    Ziploc does work to try sous vide out, but I tend to throw them away after using them since they get oily and dirty, though others may not. At which point getting a roll of sous vide plastic cutting it yourself and vacuum sealing it works out better. Plus some of them are rather frail and once I ended up with a puncture resulting in boiled meat instead of sous vide.
    My point exactly, I would never take the risk of destroying my meat due to a faulty ziploc. On top, vacuumised comes cheaper after initial cost.

Another advantage to using a vacuum sealer is that meat stores for longer in the freezer and doesn't suffer "freezer burn". I batch cook chilli and curry which I then vacuum seal and freeze, it's then just "boil in the bag" when we have one.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Another advantage to using a vacuum sealer is that meat stores for longer in the freezer and doesn't suffer "freezer burn". I batch cook chilli and curry which I then vacuum seal and freeze, it's then just "boil in the bag" when we have one.

Eddie
    How do you vacuum seal something with liquids in it like a chili or curry? I have yet to figure a method that is easy and works well.

Master

Eddie
    How do you vacuum seal something with liquids in it like a chili or curry? I have yet to figure a method that is easy and works well.
    with a vacuum sealing machine, mine has no trouble with sauces when set in wet mode.

http://www.foodsaver.co.uk/vacuum-se...jw_wcB&start=8

Ah, thanks. Mine is a much cheaper sealer that unfortunately doesn't have any wet mode. Looking at the site the model up even has a auto liquid detection system, not sure how that works but it sounds good, and on Amazon it's only £4 more than the model you linked. Though I really should not buy more kitchen gadgets.

Ah, thanks. Mine is a much cheaper sealer that unfortunately doesn't have any wet mode. Looking at the site the model up even has a auto liquid detection system, not sure how that works but it sounds good, and on Amazon it's only £4 more than the model you linked. Though I really should not buy more kitchen gadgets.
    You can also use a cheaper machine but once the bag is gripped in the machine move it until the bag dangles over the edge of the working surface, this stops it sucking up the liquid.

Eddie

Craftsman
    Hmm... interesting. Perhaps it is worth shelling out for a proper vacuum machine then. If only they didn't take up even more kitchen space :-/

Cheers
    Mabuse

Well that didn't last long!

I bought an Anova circulator, used it twice and now it's broken. It's showing cold tap water as being -8C! Now I have to go through the faff of sending it back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Well that didn't last long!

I bought an Anova circulator, used it twice and now it's broken. It's showing cold tap water as being -8C! Now I have to go through the faff of sending it back.
    Not just a case of needing calibration? I'm assuming the anova units can be calibrated

You can also use a cheaper machine but once the bag is gripped in the machine move it until the bag dangles over the edge of the working surface, this stops it sucking up the liquid.

Eddie
    Brilliant! Ingenious and free, the best kind of solution. Will have to give it a go the next time I cook up something saucy.

Not just a case of needing calibration? I'm assuming the anova units can be calibrated
    Unfortunately not, the temperature is all over the place!

Anova have got back to me this morning to say they are shipping me a new one. Great customer service!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Unfortunately not, the temperature is all over the place!

Anova have got back to me this morning to say they are shipping me a new one. Great customer service!
    That's good to hear. Let's hope the new one is OK...

Master
    Saw this linked today https://www.chefsteps.com/joule US only I think but interesting

I've had my set for almost a week now. So far I've done some mediocre chicken breast, a decent piece of salmon, best pork ribs I've ever done and a bloody nice roast beef. I'm very happy with the whole thing. I'll keep experimenting for now, but I'm alredy pretty convinced sous vide has come to stay in my kitchen.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the Caso vacuum sealer is really compact. I had no trouble at all finding a spot for it in a cupboard.

Sounds good, keep experimenting....

I had some wonderful sous-vide ribeye last night :-)

Eddie

I had some wonderful sous-vide ribeye last night :-)

Eddie
    What are you using to brown your steak? So far I mostly use a blowtorch, while I flip the steak in an iron pan with hot butter.

I am currently looking at a beefer or similar sizzler grill, but haven't decided yet.

Master
    Eddie, I'm more interested in your chilli recipe, if you care to share?

You've mentioned it a few times now, and my current chilli is crap, so could do with a new approach...

I use this chilli recipe and tweak it a bit. I always use pork & beef mince half and half and be careful with 2 tablespoons of chilli powder, not all powders are
    equal.

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-...ver-had-178865

Eddie