closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide anyone?

Master

Sous Vide anyone?

I bought a Sous Vide machine the other day, and have only cooked a couple of steaks in it so far and cracking they were.

Does anyone else have one and have any recipes they'd like to share?

Which unit did you buy? I'm half tempted to buy one but not sure I'd use it much. What's the difference between this method of cooking and using the good old frying method in terms of taste?

Cheers,

Al

I've seriously been considering getting a sous vide machine recently and would be interested to know which model you went for. Only reason I'm holding off is prices can either be suspiciously cheap or easily going over £200 which I find a bit rich for something I'll use only occasionally. Also did you get a vacuum sealer as well? For recipes try Great british chefs and serious eats websites, these are my go to sites for cooking these days.

I am a passionate sous vide cook. I have found that semi-professional sous vide equipment is a rip-off, the moment it get's marketed as kitchen equipment there is a x00% markup. I have bought used lab waterbaths via eBay - they are build for eternity, very precise and are available for very small money.
    Example: https://www.memmert.com/products/wat...erbath/WNE-10/
    EBay is your friend, with a bit of patience you get very good equipment for little money.

I have a Caso VC10 vacuum sealer, not the cheapest but it works fantastic.

I suggest you do some reading about the theoretical background, like this: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Top

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am a passionate sous vide cook. I have found that semi-professional sous vide equipment is a rip-off, the moment it get's marketed as kitchen equipment there is a x00% markup. I have bought used lab waterbaths via eBay - they are build for eternity, very precise and are available for very small money.
    Example: https://www.memmert.com/products/wat...erbath/WNE-10/
    EBay is your friend, with a bit of patience you get very good equipment for little money.

I have a Caso VC10 vacuum sealer, not the cheapest but it works fantastic.

I suggest you do some reading about the theoretical background, like this: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Top
    Thanks matey :)

Good shout @Raffe

As with most food-related things, seriouseats.com has reference-grade material on sous-vide technique.

Based on some very successful and tasty trials using a ghetto sous-vide setup recently (ziploc plus pot within pot to get stable temp), I'm going to get a proper immersion circulator.

It'll be nice to be able to go from fridge/freezer to table at the push of a button without compromising flavour, especially with the recent addition of a baby to the house. Simple, low-supervison and high-quality — I'm in.

All great stuff for anyone who's interested:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous%20vide

And an excellent intro here:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/f...l-recipes.html

Another serious eats fan here. Great site for any cooking really and I like their myth buster approach to cooking techniques, you know that anything they recommend is going to be time efficient and good tasting.

I do like my sous vide and have an Anova machine, which isn't too expensive. As a single person its great to portion off meat from the butcher, even things like sausages can go in bags and into the freezer ready to be cooked sous vide, no need to defrost either. Add in a plumbers blow torch and everything just tastes better.

Totally baffled when i looked at this thread have just checked out the links , its fascinating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I bought a Sous Vide machine the other day, and have only cooked a couple of steaks in it so far and cracking they were.

Does anyone else have one and have any recipes they'd like to share?
    How would describe the steaks compared with regularly cooked ones? We normally grill them rather than fry.

Presumably you lose the charring effect?

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    How would describe the steaks compared with regularly cooked ones? We normally grill them rather than fry.

Presumably you lose the charring effect?
    "Sous vide" is usually at least two cooking processes - the underwater bit, and some kind of real heat to get colour / char. It's possible to have all the steaks cooked sous vide (i.e. at 57 degrees or your chosen temp) and then literally just finish them on the grill. Searing before sous vide may have more benefits - as it probably kills any microbes on the surface of the meat, but it then needs a really quick searing *afterwards* as well...
    Last edited by Broussard; 14th October 2016 at 10:39.

Master
    Keeping in mind I've only cooked two Steaks so far, I think the biggest benefits are no over cooking, you set the temp and thats what comes out, this also means that its cooked to that level of "done" ness all the way through, no over cooking thiner bits of only having the middle pink.
    Also I believe this method also retains more moisture in the Steaks which makes them juicier.

As others have said you do need to sear them after cooking in the water bath to get a caramelized outside.

Mrs Capt was away this week so no need for green stuff.....

Cooked from frozen for 3 hours at 55 c then seared in the pan for 20 secs per side.

The biggest issue is that you can't cook to different levels in the same water bath, so no blue for you and well done for your guest using sous vide.

Heres the unit I brought:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...P3M2DY19J1W17X

The biggest issue is that you can't cook to different levels in the same water bath, so no blue for you and well done for your guest using sous vide.
    [/URL]
    True. But if your guest wants well done, then there's no need to sous vide at all. Just microwave it...

Have been using it professionally for over 10 years. With red meat I would sear the meat, chill it, sous vide it 57 degrees then re sear it. My favourite thing to cook in the waterbath is pork belly 18 hours at 85 degrees. Have used a sousvide supreme before and for home use it was fine. Wouldn't recommend a lab bath as the capacity is mostly very small and defiantly not a used one for obvious reasons. Happy to help with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping in mind I've only cooked two Steaks so far, I think the biggest benefits are no over cooking, you set the temp and thats what comes out, this also means that its cooked to that level of "done" ness all the way through, no over cooking thiner bits of only having the middle pink.
    Also I believe this method also retains more moisture in the Steaks which makes them juicier.

As others have said you do need to sear them after cooking in the water bath to get a caramelized outside.

Mrs Capt was away this week so no need for green stuff.....

Cooked from frozen for 3 hours at 55 c then seared in the pan for 20 secs per side.

Heres the unit I brought:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...P3M2DY19J1W17X
    This isn't really the correct use of sous vide as steaks should be cooked at 57 degrees and you should then be adjusting the time instead. Try a different cut next time like a bevette full of flavour (57 degrees for 5 hours)

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Have been using it professionally for over 10 years. With red meat I would sear the meat, chill it, sous vide it 57 degrees then re sear it. My favourite thing to cook in the waterbath is pork belly 18 hours at 85 degrees. Have used a sousvide supreme before and for home use it was fine. Wouldn't recommend a lab bath as the capacity is mostly very small and defiantly not a used one for obvious reasons. Happy to help with any questions.

I have a 13 litre lab watherbath, suppose that is large enough for most home users (20 litre or bigger are available). I do not understand your comment about used ones, I think they use the same water in labs as I use at home? Mine is made out of stainless steel, has an eletronic thermostate and cost me under £100 via eBay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    This isn't really the correct use of sous vide as steaks should be cooked at 57 degrees and you should then be adjusting the time instead. Try a different cut next time like a bevette full of flavour (57 degrees for 5 hours)

Forgive me perhaps I'm missing something being new to this but I understood that the temperature of the water bath directly relates to the done ness of the steaks, so five hours at 57 is still going to cook to the same done ness as thee hours at the same temp. The length of time is a factor in breaking down fatty and connective tissue.

@ 57 c its closer to medium than to rare no?

So say fillet that you would want rare with its low fat / connective tissue content I would expect to cook for a couple of hours closer to 54 c, and rib eye with a much higher fat / connective tissue content I would cook for 3-4 hours at a higher temp perhaps 55-56c.

Forgive me perhaps I'm missing something being new to this but I understood that the temperature of the water bath directly relates to the done ness of the steaks, so five hours at 57 is still going to cook to the same done ness as thee hours at the same temp. The length of time is a factor in breaking down fatty and connective tissue.

@ 57 c its closer to medium than to rare no?

So say fillet that you would want rare with its low fat / connective tissue content I would expect to cook for a couple of hours closer to 54 c, and rib eye with a much higher fat / connective tissue content I would cook for 3-4 hours at a higher temp perhaps 55-56c.

I didn't understand the 57 degree / cooking time reference either.

The minimum temperature you should use is 55 degrees (which also happens to be medium-rare), this is for food safety reasons. So, besides making sure your cut has a constant temperature all the way through, you also want to assure a reduction of listeria, salmonella and coli bacteria.

There are also techniques to increase tenderness of not-so-tender cuts by applying very long cooking times (up to 72 hours). I have only once tried that with a rather mediocre beef cut and the result was spectacular.

I really advise to print and read this piece, it is important to understand some of the theory and techniques - at least if your interest stretches beyond cooking steaks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    As with most food-related things, seriouseats.com has reference-grade material on sous-vide technique.

All great stuff for anyone who's interested:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous%20vide
    Interesting website thanks. I like their scientific approach. As SWMBO is a vegetarian and doesn't like using canned beans I found this interesting http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/i...een-dried.html and this one http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/s...od-or-bad.html. That is my weekend read sorted!!

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    "Sous vide" is usually at least two cooking processes - the underwater bit, and some kind of real heat to get colour / char. It's possible to have all the steaks cooked sous vide (i.e. at 57 degrees or your chosen temp) and then literally just finish them on the grill. Searing before sous vide may have more benefits - as it probably kills any microbes on the surface of the meat, but it then needs a really quick searing *afterwards* as well...
    Thanks. I would definitely miss the charing (/Maillard effect) so that makes perfect sense.

About a year ago, my local supermarket introduced steaks that are vacuum packed and sealed. I like them because they keep very well. I've just about perfected my technique with a hot sear on the grill and then resting the meat while I grill some asparagus.

The question is, could I sous vide cook the whole pack before opening it up and searing the outside (just after I've cooked the asparagus)?

Edit: Here's a picture of the packaging:

Last edited by PickleB; 14th October 2016 at 16:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    About a year ago, my local supermarket introduced steaks that are vacuum packed and sealed. I like them because they keep very well. I've just about perfected my technique with a hot sear on the grill and then resting the meat while I grill some asparagus.

The question is, could I sous vide cook the whole pack before opening it up and searing the outside (just after I've cooked the asparagus)?

Edit: Here's a picture of the packaging:

I'm fairly sure that the glue will just melt away, and last thing you'd want is it contaminating the food. Most of these types of packs can't even be defrosted under a cold tap without the seal losing its integrity.

I personally say just stick with the sear given you've near perfected it. There is a reason most good restaurants still do it the old fashioned way, it works. (Just my opinion of course :) Everyone is entitled to cook how they please, no different to some liking rare some liking cremated, so not trying to start a debate over which is better)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    correct me if I am wrong, but is this a lot of money for boil in the bag?

so you still need to sear it, then bag it, then cook in this overpriced machine, to then open the bag up (probably burning hands in the process) and serve?

sound like hipster tech to me, and very over engineered.

Yes, you're wrong. It's not particularly expensive, and there's no boiling.

Maybe try reading the link before inflicting ignorance on the thread. ;)

It's too complicated for him, maybe if there were more pictures?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    so you cook in a bag for 4 hours at 57 degrees C to cook a steak? that you sear first?

so you get back from work at 6pm say and stick on the dinner, ready to eat at 10pm?

as opposed to sticking it in the pan or grill and cooking it in minutes?

sounds fab, count me in, where do I sign up to this wonder of modern tech?

absolute nonsense if you ask me, with no tangible benefits.

TLDR - boil in the bag steak that takes 4 hours to cook but still needs a pan to sear #modernhipstertech

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    True. But if your guest wants well done, then there's no need to sous vide at all. Just microwave it...
    I really hate this food snobbery. Raw - blue - meat is slimy and deeply unpleasant. If you like that you're weird. As I noted elsewhere I cooked a duck breast (pan then oven) so it was just blushing in the middle. Slimy and unpleasant. Now, you're not going to believe me so stop trying to tell me that you're way is 'right'.
    I'm every much of the old school when roasting a chicken: 20mins/lb then 20mins. Falls off the bone and is lovely.

Nobody asked you, dude.

But I suppose it makes sense that someone who believes in moon-landing conspiracy theories would also post confident ignorance about other things he knows nothing about and can't be bothered to check. :)

I don't think that would work. If he cannot understand:

"George & Dragon: Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please..."

...and must persist in trying to provoke an argument before resorting to uncouth suggestions or unnecessary graphics then, IMO, it's best ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I really hate this food snobbery. Raw - blue - meat is slimy and deeply unpleasant. If you like that you're weird. As I noted elsewhere I cooked a duck breast (pan then oven) so it was just blushing in the middle. Slimy and unpleasant. Now, you're not going to believe me so stop trying to tell me that you're way is 'right'.
    I'm every much of the old school when roasting a chicken: 20mins/lb then 20mins. Falls off the bone and is lovely.
    Each to their own I say. You recognise that you are of the old school but accuse others that are not of being snobs. Isn't that inverted snobbery?

This is the very unit I was looking at two days ago. Seems to have the advantage over a normal water bath in that it circulates the water making it more efficient in heating the water and maintaining the desired temperature. Plus its a lot smaller which is a plus in my over filled cupboards.

Banned
    Blog Entries

"George & Dragon: Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please..."

...and must persist in trying to provoke an argument before resorting to uncouth suggestions or unnecessary graphics then, IMO, it's best ignore him.
    that is not my intention at all, I gave an honest opinion of what I believe this to be, I have read a few bits on it now over at Google HQ and still think its pants,

I am hoping that someone will explain to me what the true benifits of this are? which so far no one has done, or been able to do, only suggest that I am stirring the pot of have a failure to understand this wonder of science.

so far I only see, a fad, overly long cooking times, no nutritional benefit, non efficient cooking (pan to sear, then device to cook) and sealed bags (another inefficient method)

ohh and massive energy consumption over conventional methods.

if this was such the rage, why are the supermarkets not selling us our steaks in sealed bags ready for cooking?

please feel free to explain the above points, even briefly, and then I will google the rest.

Last edited by soundood; 14th October 2016 at 23:54. Reason: to edit a gif into the reply, as so to make Pickle look like he can predict anything

And if proof is needed, see his most recent post above. One that he felt the need to edit so as to add a gif...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And if proof is needed, see his most recent post above. One that he felt the need to edit so as to add a gif...
    still no explanation of what this is or any of its benefits, all I see so far is deflection.

I will ask again, and as you seem very vocal PickleB, why dont you take 2 mins to explain?

I am hoping that someone will explain to me what the true benifits of this are? which so far no one has done, or been able to do, only suggest that I am stirring the pot of have a failure to understand this wonder of science.

so far I only see, a fad, overly long cooking times, no nutritional benefit, non efficient cooking (pan to sear, then device to cook) and sealed bags (another inefficient method)

if this was such the rage, why are the supermarkets not selling us our steaks in sealed bags ready for cooking?

please feel free to explain the above points, even briefly, and then I will google the rest.
    I am waiting for your inteligent reply about this wonder tech you speak of, meanwhile heres a gif of some russians dancing.

or maybe we will go down the route of,

'I have no information on this other than a fad/craze, but by belittling your inteligence on the matter I will prove you fail to understand the concept'

EDIT again: just found this chestnut on Amazon questions,

Question: Would it be quite difficult to make a meal of meat plus vegetables.?

Answer: We use 2 as they need to be set to 2 different heat levels, you would set the meat lower that the veg. They are really good though and well worth the money.

so let me understand this correctly as my low inteligence might get in the way, to cook some meat and some veg 'properly' I would need two of these water heaters @ £152.98 each, so correct my math if I am wrong here (low inteligence again) I make that £305.96 to cook some meat and veg for 4 hours?

this thing uses electricity and is basically a thermally controlled kettle element heating water for 3-4 hours? at a guess this uses 1.5 KWh @ an average electricity price of 91p/KWh per hour, making the total cost of power consumption over the cooking period of £5.46

and of course we have two on the go, as we need to slow cook the veg too, so thats another estimated £5.46

total cost of cooking the meal I work out to be £10.92,

yeah sign me up to this marvel of cooking, I really need to spend around a tenner cooking a steak and some veg.
    Last edited by soundood; 15th October 2016 at 00:16. Reason: edited to give pickle a further few days to come up with some sort of tangible answer to my questions.

It's happened again! How long will it take for him to realise that I'm talking about him and not to him?

And he thinks I'm "very vocal" ...

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    that is not my intention at all, I gave an honest opinion of what I believe this to be, I have read a few bits on it now over at Google HQ and still think its pants,

Its just another method of cooking. That's it. It provides a way of precisely cooking food so that it is never over cooked. 1 hour for a perfectly cooked (every time) 1 inch thick cut of steak is fine but yes you can go up to 4 hours and more if you want. You generally sear the meat / fish afterwards to provide the crust. If you get in from work at 6pm them a sous vide steak probably isn't for you, though you can sous vide a salmon fillet in 30 - 45 minutes so that may be better for you. It ain't rocket science and a little bit of googling would've answered your questions. If you don't like, walk away. Sous vide veg though I think is a bit OTT. As for the supermarkets, call your local tesco / asda / sainsbury's and ask them why they don't stock it but I'd guess its due to not every household having a water bath or thermal immersion circulator and so the demand isn't there at a large enough domestic level.

My only experience was at a restaurant where we had Chefs table and ordered a tasting menu based on fish and veggies.
    The Sous Vide fish was just melt in the mouth amazing.

At home I cook mostly vegan and vegetarian but would be interested to hear any vegetarian experience with this form of cooking as I am happy to spend 4hrs + in the kitchen preparing for a dinner party using conventional methods.

Also the geek in me loves to experiment.

To get back onto the topic, I've just found these pages:

Then there is this, from Marcus Wareing:

What are your most and least used pieces of kitchen kit?

I think I would say my sous vide machine. I have had one for about four years now and use it a lot in the kitchens at the Berkeley. It's a very good way of cooking: it's slow and you can keep the temperature under control precisely. I use it for meat and fish, the whole lot. But it works best with fish, it prevents it overcooking and drying out. Poach a fish and it tightens in the boiling water, you see; this way, it doesn't. Least used piece of kitchen equipment lives at home. We never use the kettle.

Edit: I've just seen MarkO's post and one of my links goes to a page headed with a picture of vacuum packed carrots. But I have yet to find any temperature /time recommendations for cooking vegetables sous vide or any reason as to why it might be a good idea. So I too will be interested in any helpful replies to MarkO.
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th October 2016 at 02:19.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's happened again! How long will it take for him to realise that I'm talking about him and not to him?

And he thinks I'm "very vocal" ...
    and ignore,

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Its just another method of cooking. That's it. It provides a way of precisely cooking food so that it is never over cooked. 1 hour for a perfectly cooked (every time) 1 inch thick cut of steak is fine but yes you can go up to 4 hours and more if you want. You generally sear the meat / fish afterwards to provide the crust. If you get in from work at 6pm them a sous vide steak probably isn't for you, though you can sous vide a salmon fillet in 30 - 45 minutes so that may be better for you. It ain't rocket science and a little bit of googling would've answered your questions. If you don't like, walk away. Sous vide veg though I think is a bit OTT. As for the supermarkets, call your local tesco / asda / sainsbury's and ask them why they don't stock it but I'd guess its due to not every household having a water bath or thermal immersion circulator and so the demand isn't there at a large enough domestic level.
    thsnk you, thats all it needed, I shall leave you all in peace now with your time consuming, energy gulping, other method of cooking

Master
    Dood it's not like a normal weedgies fish supper with a deep fried mars bar for afters....

We had already posted about cooking to a temp or done ness, if it's really hard to follow then try to look at some of the links already posted and that should help.

If not try asking a local hipster they will help stand on me. Assuming they can understand the dialect brother....

If that still doesn't clarify it, drop me a pm guy.

To get back onto the topic, I've just found these pages:

Then there is this, from Marcus Wareing:

What are your most and least used pieces of kitchen kit?

I think I would say my sous vide machine. I have had one for about four years now and use it a lot in the kitchens at the Berkeley. It's a very good way of cooking: it's slow and you can keep the temperature under control precisely. I use it for meat and fish, the whole lot. But it works best with fish, it prevents it overcooking and drying out. Poach a fish and it tightens in the boiling water, you see; this way, it doesn't. Least used piece of kitchen equipment lives at home. We never use the kettle.

Edit: I've just seen MarkO's post and one of my links goes to a page headed with a picture of vacuum packed carrots. But I have yet to find any temperature /time recommendations for cooking vegetables sous vide or any reason as to why it might be a good idea. So I too will be interested in any helpful replies to MarkO.
    Funnily enough I've just printed off the Cod with coco beans and tomato (got to try to find coco de paimpol beans, whatever they are), its looks really good and relatively simple. Just ordered the thermal immersion circulator previoiusly mentioned in this thread. I think I'll try salmon fillet first once I get home off the rig.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Dood it's not like a normal weedgies fish supper with a deep fried mars bar for afters....

We had already posted about cooking to a temp or done ness, if it's really hard to follow then try to look at some of the links already posted and that should help.

If not try asking a local hipster they will help stand on me. Assuming they can understand the dialect brother....

If that still doesn't clarify it, drop me a pm guy.
    yeah all good matey, Pickle was just trying to be funny and I had to call him on it, seems he knows nothing about it either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    yeah all good matey, Pickle was just trying to be funny and I had to call him on it, seems he knows nothing about it either.
    Stroking my bitchster beard at the moment and wondering if we all good or still playing, 'ah wah you say then dread?

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Funnily enough I've just printed off the Cod with coco beans and tomato (got to try to find coco de paimpol beans, whatever they are), its looks really good and relatively simple. Just ordered the thermal immersion circulator previoiusly mentioned in this thread. I think I'll try salmon fillet first once I get home off the rig.
    Sorry to post this when you have already ordered your circulator, but I've just come across the Anova Precision Cooker and it will please those of us who are gadget minded with its wireless interface (not something I feel that I need).

The manufacturers seem to be offering a discount code for a limited amount of stock: link. I've also seen a couple of decent reviews for it.

Then, to answer my own question, their website has quite a few recipes for vegetables (link)...and many other things, if you change the filter selection. Looking through some of them, vegetables seem to be cooked at around 85ºC for times that are less than 60 minutes. I have to suppose that the advantage of this method is that the flavour/goodness is retained as there is no contact with the water. The disadvantage, for any meat eaters, is that a different temperature is required for each doneness of meat and yet another for vegetables. As suggested above, I've given my brother's steak a quick finish in a microwave as he likes it well done. That's after cooking it on a grill and resting in the oven. Even so, I don't think I'd run to two sous vide setups, unless I was frequently cooking for a lot of people.
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th October 2016 at 03:29. Reason: editorial

Sorry to post this when you have already ordered your circulator, but I've just come across the Anova Precision Cooker and it will please those of us who are gadget minded with its wireless interface (not something I feel that I need).
    No problem, I actually saw that the other but its a bit rich price wise for me for what I'll use it for. Plus the wifi thing seems a bit ott to me

Master
    I am so glad this subject has come up again, since reading the last thread in which a member hacked a cool box full of water next to an AGA into a MacGyver style water bath and knowing that we were going to be having a warming drawer installed in our new kitchen I've been keen to experiment.

Has anyone got experience of using a warming draw to sous-vide?

The manufacturers seem to be offering a discount code for a limited amount of stock: link. I've also seen a couple of decent reviews for it.
    (...)
    Yet another thing I've come across on TZ I "need". I've thought about sous vide, but I don't want a lot of huge equipment filling up my kitchen. This way I only need serious space in the cupboard for the vacuum sealer.

So thanks, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    I am so glad this subject has come up again, since reading the last thread in which a member hacked a cool box full of water next to an AGA into a MacGyver style water bath and knowing that we were going to be having a warming drawer installed in our new kitchen I've been keen to experiment.

Has anyone got experience of using a warming draw to sous-vide?
    Can you fill the warming drawer with water ?

Master
    I didn't understand the 57 degree / cooking time reference either.

The minimum temperature you should use is 55 degrees (which also happens to be medium-rare), this is for food safety reasons. So, besides making sure your cut has a constant temperature all the way through, you also want to assure a reduction of listeria, salmonella and coli bacteria.

There are also techniques to increase tenderness of not-so-tender cuts by applying very long cooking times (up to 72 hours). I have only once tried that with a rather mediocre beef cut and the result was spectacular.

I really advise to print and read this piece, it is important to understand some of the theory and techniques - at least if your interest stretches beyond cooking steaks.
    Cheers for the links Raffe.

I've had a look at the food safety one and while I am a bit hungover today it does sound like the author believes that rare red meat is a no-no. Now I thought that for red meat the issue was surface temperature rather than internal as the bacteria is surface living, so if you sear in a smoking hot pan post water bath then in practical terms the risks are low to negligible.

This is also the reason that most hamburgers should not be served pink as the mince allows for the introduction of bacteria to the inside of the patty.

What do you think?

I see myself trying some of the pork recipes so will have a re read of the site first.

Edit: having another look and there seems to be a lot of emphasis on pasteurising the meat and talk of immune compromised individuals, and he does talk of cooking steaks rare but them not being pasteurised, so I think it's a case of using common sense and adjusting to the needs / health of the diners.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 15th October 2016 at 12:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Can you fill the warming drawer with water ?
    Well you could but I don't think that it would stay in there for very long

In seriousness, my plan was to fill a suitably sized vessel of some description with water and then place it inside drawer until the water is at optimum temperature; or near enough. Then individually seal steaks in Ziplock type backs being careful to remove as much air as possible and place them in the water.

Will it work?