closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 58 of 82 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,900 of 4097

Thread: The unified Rolex in the window thread

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Regarding the display models at DMR, I was in St Anns Square last Friday sending my Hulk for service and the Assistant Manager said DMR display models are customer watches. It could be a strategy to not get them out of the window but to be honest that is their purpose, to generate interest.
    It’s all so pointless. Generate interest so that they can tell you that you can’t buy one.

I think and hope it is a bubble as our hobby has been ruined.

I’m selling my two top end pieces and will sit on the sidelines and just concentrate on some 1970s Omegas that interest me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    FIX long term NOW people !!!
    funneeeee.........

It sounds as though there is no hard fixed policy by Rolex per se.
    My AD said he has been told that he has to have a minimum of ten watches on display at any one time. The ten are customer allocated watches. When they receive the following months delivery, they will swap them out with the current window display and then pass the old display on to the allocated customers. Rinse and repeat.

DMR in Manchester were considering taking their Turquoise OP out of the window as it was generating too much footfall from the wrong type of prospect.

I always try on a few models, that's the point of display models, I find my AD great.

As for the bubble, well the bigger question is when will we go into recession, it's should be within 2 years, so best to be holding cash not assets then for sure.

WE are due an almighty crash so Rolex prices drops will be on the back of that as the top 1% sell all assets and goto cash.

talks of 50% drops in the markets are common atm. and with inflation to hit 8% in the next few months, we are only heading one way in 2023 imho.

heating rises, so what it's summer soon. Ni rises and mortgages will not hit till 2023/2024 as most people are into fixed every thing these days, and by then interest rates will be what 4% again. it will hit peoples remortgages very hard. will make the £40 a month on your gas bill seem small fry, be more like a £400 a month rise. FIX long term NOW people !!!

Summer 2022 I am out of every thing, I may loose 10% gains getting out early but that's better than loosing 50% later on. sell up and pay of my house is the plan when my renewal is due in 24 months. Then retire.

- - - Updated - - -

no they are for display only all these window models now, new ones have stickers on :-)
    Gold and other precious metals are often seen as a good move during recessions. I think some models of Rolex are now in this category.

Having said that, it’s all a bit distorted in regard to RRP vs Market Value. I would be very surprised if anyone popular SS sports model will be worth below retail in the next decade, however it’s less certain what will happen with a £30k Daytona or £20k BLRO.

I always try on a few models, that's the point of display models, I find my AD great.

As for the bubble, well the bigger question is when will we go into recession, it's should be within 2 years, so best to be holding cash not assets then for sure.

WE are due an almighty crash so Rolex prices drops will be on the back of that as the top 1% sell all assets and goto cash.

talks of 50% drops in the markets are common atm. and with inflation to hit 8% in the next few months, we are only heading one way in 2023 imho.

heating rises, so what it's summer soon. Ni rises and mortgages will not hit till 2023/2024 as most people are into fixed every thing these days, and by then interest rates will be what 4% again. it will hit peoples remortgages very hard. will make the £40 a month on your gas bill seem small fry, be more like a £400 a month rise. FIX long term NOW people !!!

Summer 2022 I am out of every thing, I may loose 10% gains getting out early but that's better than loosing 50% later on. sell up and pay of my house is the plan when my renewal is due in 24 months. Then retire.

- - - Updated - - -

no they are for display only all these window models now, new ones have stickers on :-)
    It'll be rigged by Central banks and their money printing machines. So no fiscal calamity. If Rolex prices didn't capitulate during a once in a lifetime Pandemic then what else would do it? With rising inflation debts get inflated away so get cracking on your Amexes.

The problem is that is actually someones watch and they will be getting it in a few months when Rolex/DMR decide they are worthy!!
    Unless already paid for, isn't anyone's watch.

Master
    This whole Rolex carry on is unbelievable even though I love the brand and the fact that Rolex brought a man in
    (CEO if I remember right or in a very lofty position) about 12 years ago with the sole intention of closing down and putting all the grey dealers out of business and now Rolex are advertising watches that you cannot get and if you do want one you have no alternative but to go to a Grey dealer ??
    Last edited by marksh; 5th February 2022 at 13:09.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Gold and other precious metals are often seen as a good move during recessions. I think some models of Rolex are now in this category.

Having said that, it’s all a bit distorted in regard to RRP vs Market Value. I would be very surprised if anyone popular SS sports model will be worth below retail in the next decade, however it’s less certain what will happen with a £30k Daytona or £20k BLRO.
    I agree, SS sports models will be worth above retail for next decade, the premiums over RRP will gradually get smaller. But also expect the RRP to be almost double the current price within the next decade.

Master
    … that is their purpose, to generate interest.
    Since ADs can sell anything they get now many times over, the only potential beneficiaries of “interest” generated are presumably grey dealers!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Since ADs can sell anything they get now many times over, the only potential beneficiaries of “interest” generated are presumably grey dealers!
    The Ad's want to sell across their product range, including the highly profitable jewellery lines so the Rolex models in the window serve a purpose to entice these new customers inside to learn what they must spend to be considered for a place on the Rolex list.

Two black and one bluesy in the window on Piccadilly and one LV in the window in Covent Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Two black and one bluesy in the window on Piccadilly and one LV in the window in Covent Garden.
    Exhibition only

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Exhibition only
    Naturally! 😂😂

Isn't that the whole point though? I'm sure at some point Rolex will decide the flood the market with quantity resulting in prices falling to RRP and the greys go out of business holding stock worth less that they paid for it. Then Rolex apply a 30% minimum increase and cash in.

I could be wrong of course.

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    This whole Rolex carry on is unbelievable even though I love the brand and the fact that Rolex brought a man in
    (CEO if I remember right or in a very lofty position) about 12 years ago with the sole intention of closing down and putting all the grey dealers out of business and now Rolex are advertising watches that you cannot get and if you do want one you have no alternative but to go to a Grey dealer ??

Can’t see Rolex ever flooding the market.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Rolex, Mercedes, or PlayStation, companies have learned lack of supply isn’t exactly a bad thing.

Blog Entries
    Nothing for sale in T5 again today & only limited exhibition models.

They didn’t even have an Explorer for me to try…

z

Craftsman
    Is anyone actually getting allocation calls this winter?

It feels like all the intake is being utilised to fill the exhibition only displays...

Journeyman
    Regarding the display models at DMR, I was in St Anns Square last Friday sending my Hulk for service and the Assistant Manager said DMR display models are customer watches. It could be a strategy to not get them out of the window but to be honest that is their purpose, to generate interest.
    Yes create interest and tell you that to get a Rolex you need to purchase other stock to even be considered, keep the run rate business going whilst dangling a carrot that you will never get to taste, the majority anyway.

I bought a GMT from them in 2017 and only waited about 3 months, apparently I am still on the list for the Pepsi and Daytona but I very much doubt they will ever get to me ;)

The whole chasing your own tail to purchase a Rolex is now a bit lost on me, money is in the bank waiting for any sort of bubble burst.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post

It feels like all the intake is being utilised to fill the exhibition only displays...
    Yes, Simons had four already!

Journeyman
    It’s not in Rolex’s interest to burst the bubble. I’m sure they’d like to calm the current situation down, get a bigger slice of the pie (instead of the greys) and rescue some of their tarnished reputation. As long as it’s the case that your watch is worth more than the RRP you paid for it, people will be buying with complete confidence and queuing up to do so. It’s hardly a surprise that we seeing the self-fuelling situation and current mess but if the bubble spectacularly bursts, it won’t be Rolex’s doing as that would have a massive impact on buyer confidence and consequently the demand for new watches at RRP. They’re on a sticky wicket in my view but their hands are tied, anything they do will need to be carefully considered and not too heavy-handed so it doesn’t impact demand too much.

The unified Rolex in the window thread

So March 2021 I enquired about a Sub no date with very little history and 11 months later I picked up last Saturday. Didn’t wait as long as I thought I would.

I didn’t use the AD I normally use. I thought I’d see how it would go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    So March 2021 I enquired about a Sub no date with very little history and 11 months later I picked up last Saturday. Didn’t wait as long as I thought I would.

Congrats on the incoming. Great AR. Interesting to hear you did this via a different AD. I'm tempted to purchase something elsewhere too, see how it works out.

Craftsman

Nice to hear that they’re still coming through, and congrats of course! Was the AD part of the same group to perhaps access the history from your usual?

The unified Rolex in the window thread

Nice to hear that they’re still coming through, and congrats of course! Was the AD part of the same group to perhaps access the history from your usual?
    I normally use DMR however I have found since my sales guy has left the service has gone downhill. I tried Goldsmiths who were brilliant.

Last edited by Kippax; 8th February 2022 at 07:35.

Mappin and Webb said their understanding isn't that Rolex are holding back or that there is crazy demand over and above the crazy demand that always existed. Basically due to Covid Rolex shut down its factory for almost a year. I asked what about Omega then and why they arents as affected and was advised there was always much more Omega stock in the AD network.

No idea if this is all true but he did say they had many instances where customers would get irate after seeing the display models and being advised they couldn't buy one. In several instances customers turned quite aggressive.

Grand Master
    Indeed Rolex stock had a far stronger and quicker turnover than other brands in its professional range so they emptied stores quicker across Asia and The Americas. One of the positives has been for them to reduce their stocklevels of datejusts and ‘other rans’ which were excessive (7 years or so on some) but with the factory now open with the ability to produce upto a third more than previously it will address the issue in the 1st half of this year and coupled with the exodus of ‘players’ once it drops I see a correction.

RIAC

Grand Master

I know a few managers and some see 30 watches a week then maybe 4 a week. They are coming through steady but slightly sporadic. That said they are moving providing everyone answers the call

RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I know a few managers and some see 30 watches a week then maybe 4 a week. They are coming through steady but slightly sporadic. That said they are moving providing everyone answers the call

Right, that's good to know. Best keep the phone nearby and hope that the name crops up somewhere on the list

Master
    Some nice ones on display in Canary Wharf - actually refreshing to see them in the ‘flesh’. TT Daytona black face, OP 41mm Blue face, OP 36 Tiffany.

Good amounts on show also at WoS Broadgate circle, including TT Daytonas.

Craftsman

Good to hear and we’ll done you.
    I enquired (and went on a list ) last March for an OP 36 in Candy Pink for my wife.
    This at Goldsmiths in the TC Manchester.
    Been in a couple of times since but no real feel as to whether I will ever be able to purchase.
    Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Some nice ones on display in Canary Wharf - actually refreshing to see them in the ‘flesh’. TT Daytona black face, OP 41mm Blue face, OP 36 Tiffany.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Good amounts on show also at WoS Broadgate circle, including TT Daytonas.

Stunning !

Master
    Laing's in Cardiff have a great variety to try on. Turned up unannounced yesterday and had an enjoyable hour talking and trying on. Only notable exceptions for me were no milgauss and no Daytona, but airking, subs, YM's, GMT's, SD, DSSD and others all there to see/ try on in the metal.

Very taken with the blue dial YM40. The dial is stunning in person. Pictured with my EXP 2.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Laing's in Cardiff have a great variety to try on. Turned up unannounced yesterday and had an enjoyable hour talking and trying on. Only notable exceptions for me were no milgauss and no Daytona, but airking, subs, YM's, GMT's, SD, DSSD and others all there to see/ try on in the metal.

Very taken with the blue dial YM40. The dial is stunning in person. Pictured with my EXP 2.

Cool - presume these were demo models only (not to buy)

Craftsman

Rolex

I recently contacted couple of AD’s that I have bought several Rolex models from in the past couple of years. I have a high value purchase history with one of them in particulars and have made sure I occasionally also buy jewellery and other watch brands to show that I’m a true collector and not only after sought after Rolex models that are worth 2 or 3 times more than RRP. This has always stood me in good stead until recently but even with VIP status it seems I have very little chance of now purchasing a couple of choice pieces that I have been after for several years. Both the guys that supplied me with the majority of my watches have now moved on and I get the feeling that I’m now back at the bottom of the queue as I have no rapport with the new sales people. I’m guessing they have long standing relationships with their own clients who will receive preferential treatment. And so the long arduous cycle begins all over again !!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    No demo but someone else’s on display as I thought all pieces are customer Allocations (including display ones!) 🤣

Hypothetical question. With these watches having already been allocated but put in the window as a lure
    How would people feel if after getting the call, you turned up to collect your new pride and joy but it had a mark or scratch on it? Say on the insert or crystal or even desk diving marks on the clasp from people test driving it in the shop?
    Can’t say I would be very happy. Wait years for a watch and someone else gets to play with it first.
    Would they send it back for re finishing or sell it on to the next punter? (I can guess). You (I) would not accept a new car with a big scratch down the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Can’t say I would be very happy. Wait years for a watch and someone else gets to play with it first.
    Would they send it back for re finishing or sell it on to the next punter?
    Same happens daily when people get married. Imagine sending your GMT back for for a new hymen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Same happens daily when people get married. Imagine sending your GMT back for for a new hymen.
    Only Wileeeeeey !

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Interesting view on it
    I would worry about the watch more
    I have always been second hand…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    No demo but someone else’s on display as I thought all pieces are customer Allocations (including display ones!) 🤣
    My understanding is the exhibition watches are owned by Rolex and are on loan for demo. Might be BS but that's what 3 independent AD's have said.. can't believe they are customer watches.

Also.. AD's I have bought from will not hold watches. They come in, you get the call, you have a day or two to come in if you want it. Watches I've had in this way have been untouched (have been unwrapped in front of me)

Also.. an AD I was in this week said the watches they have on exhibition currently would be there for a couple of months so I could come and try them when I wanted as they weren't going anywhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Yes of course.

Master
    My understanding is the exhibition watches are owned by Rolex and are on loan for demo. Might be BS but that's what 3 independent AD's have said.. can't believe they are customer watches.

Also.. AD's I have bought from will not hold watches. They come in, you get the call, you have a day or two to come in if you want it. Watches I've had in this way have been untouched (have been unwrapped in front of me)

Also.. an AD I was in this week said the watches they have on exhibition currently would be there for a couple of months so I could come and try them when I wanted as they weren't going anywhere.

This is Rolex. Why would they invest so much cash flow into supplying every dealer in the world with so many real watches they cannot sell? No chance.

They will tell the dealer - you must display watches as exhibition. Buy them from us first, sell them later if you want....just IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    This is Rolex. Why would they invest so much cash flow into supplying every dealer in the world with so many real watches they cannot sell? No chance.

They will tell the dealer - you must display watches as exhibition. Buy them from us first, sell them later if you want....just IMHO.
    Exactly. The warranty card is activated at point of sale in store. Rolex know which serials the store received and when.

My money is on a rule where watches must be displayed as exhibition for 30/60/90 days before being sold and any serial activated before this will probably flag to Rolex.

I’ve never seen ADs across the board be so careful when handing over watches to try on as they have been since they got the exhibition pieces.

Journeyman

The YM looks tiny next to the explorer

Well for the first time in ages there was a SS Rolex for actual sale at my local AD. Granted it was a 31mm OP but a start is a start.

It is of course now sold but it was a available as a walk in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Well for the first time in ages there was a SS Rolex for actual sale at my local AD. Granted it was a 31mm OP but a start is a start.

They were rare last summer when looking for the Mrs. Mad it’s come to that tbh.

Craftsman
    Bullring Goldsmiths have a range of exhibition watches, including BLNR on jubilee & BLRO on oyster

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Rare enough find. Seemingly allocation only these days, at least in Ireland. Got a call from the AD in January to tell me a 31mm had come in. Didn’t even make the window before it was sold.