closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 56 of 82 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,800 of 4069

Thread: The unified Rolex in the window thread

Craftsman
    I'm trying to chase down a DJ41 SS/RG Choc or Sundust dial with diamonds on either Oyster or Jubilee for a special occasion this month, with search and expression of interest at an AD from Oct and indication of approx. 6 weeks wait.

Any pointers, advise or AD recommendations in the London area would be great as I'm getting limited responses from the said AD now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    I'm trying to chase down a DJ41 SS/RG Choc or Sundust dial with diamonds on either Oyster or Jubilee for a special occasion this month, with search and expression of interest at an AD from Oct and indication of approx. 6 weeks wait.

Any pointers, advise or AD recommendations in the London area would be great as I'm getting limited responses from the said AD now.

Get some appointments and go in face to face at some local ADs.

Everything has changed. Soon you’ll have to register your interest for a pearlmaster - it really is that bad these days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Get some appointments and go in face to face at some local ADs.

Everything has changed. Soon you’ll have to register your interest for a pearlmaster - it really is that bad these days.
    I've been to said AD twice, first time it looked like my details were left somewhere not to be found, the second time round it seemed to be more promising and actionable but has all gone quiet recently.

Just wondering if there are any positive experiences in similar situations and if there is any issue in doing the same thing in other WoS group ADs?

Do I sit quietly and wait, or chase, or go to multiple ADs expressing interest in the same watch?

I was round Regent street a couple of weeks back and found it an embarrassing experience to walk into ADs. I asked to try on an exhibition SD and was told that it was by appointment only and walk ins were reserved for VIPs. Rest of them just said no before I had the chance to ask…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been to said AD twice, first time it looked like my details were left somewhere not to be found, the second time round it seemed to be more promising and actionable but has all gone quiet recently.

Just wondering if there are any positive experiences in similar situations and if there is any issue in doing the same thing in other WoS group ADs?

Do I sit quietly and wait, or chase, or go to multiple ADs expressing interest in the same watch?

Catch 22, it’s a nightmare. I thought I was going to get something this side of Christmas but that’s looking very unlikely after popping in yesterday and I have a fairly ok spend. Combination of luck, hope and prayer these days. Best of luck.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    I was round Regent street a couple of weeks back and found it an embarrassing experience to walk into ADs. I asked to try on an exhibition SD and was told that it was by appointment only and walk ins were reserved for VIPs. Rest of them just said no before I had the chance to ask…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Catch 22, it’s a nightmare. I thought I was going to get something this side of Christmas but that’s looking very unlikely after popping in yesterday and I have a fairly ok spend. Combination of luck, hope and prayer these days. Best of luck.
    Thanks guys, luckily both of my visits without appointment were attended to, but as suggested, first was certainly not registered anywhere...

I'd much prefer an honest answer, if it doesn't look like this side of Christmas or not at all, I'd rather know to be clear on the next move, but the whole game of suspense and silence is just putting a huge downer on this already difficult experience.

Thanks guys, luckily both of my visits without appointment were attended to, but as suggested, first was certainly not registered anywhere...

I'd much prefer an honest answer, if it doesn't look like this side of Christmas or not at all, I'd rather know to be clear on the next move, but the whole game of suspense and silence is just putting a huge downer on this already difficult experience.

Have you thought about going with a different brand perhaps? It all sounds like such a negative experience trying to get hold of a Rolex from an AD.

I was trying to get the new Explorer 1 (RRP £5150) from an AD near me since release day, but a couple of months ago I saw the exact model in a nearby pre-owned dealer, brand new unworn etc and priced at £8195. Went in to try it on and it was dated just a few days prior and was a UK watch. Mentioned it to the AD later that week and it became pretty obvious that they’d sold one a few days ago and it was now sitting in the dealer’s window round the corner. That dealer offered it to me for £8000 but it’s just seems a rip-off at that price.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Have you thought about going with a different brand perhaps? It all sounds like such a negative experience trying to get hold of a Rolex from an AD.

I was trying to get the new Explorer 1 (RRP £5150) from an AD near me since release day, but a couple of months ago I saw the exact model in a nearby pre-owned dealer, brand new unworn etc and priced at £8195. Went in to try it on and it was dated just a few days prior and was a UK watch. Mentioned it to the AD later that week and it became pretty obvious that they’d sold one a few days ago and it was now sitting in the dealer’s window round the corner. That dealer offered it to me for £8000 but it’s just seems a rip-off at that price.
    Yes, this would be the sensible thing to do, but at the moment it's very specific to that model and I can't see anything similar from other brands.

It doesn't feel particularly unrealistic as I'm not chasing down a Sub or GMT, but is very much looking like the luck of the draw at the moment...

A friend six weeks ago put his name down at a local AD for a TT Sub, he picked it up friday! He had a little non watch buying history but not much, his son has bought a Tudor GMT.

The AD seemed particularly invested in getting him the watch he wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    A friend six weeks ago put his name down at a local AD for a TT Sub, he picked it up friday! He had a little non watch buying history but not much, his son has bought a Tudor GMT.

The AD seemed particularly invested in getting him the watch he wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If the AD is anywhere in SE, would you be able to point me in their direction.

My last visit was based on the same 6 weeks potential, but things have gone quiet now that we're about to approach this period. Maybe it's the norm and I just need to patiently wait, but don't particularly feel like having all eggs in one basket is right.

Master
    You might struggle if you want it pre Christmas. Afaik most AD's have had their December delivery now. Its not a 'top 10' desirable though, so if you have a ring round you may find somewhere with one in stock and a DJ isn't a watch you'll need a purchase history for, so if you do the leg work you could get lucky.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks. Do they all get delivery once a month then?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm wrong, but surely gold diamond encrusted date just models aren't the hottest sellers? If they don't get it to you by Christmas, I'd personally feel immense satisfaction in telling them to shove it if they turn up with one in 2022. So in a way, you get a gift out of it either way

Quote Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
    Hi all,

Just a heads up for anyone searching but I have just seen a number of SS Rolex in the window of WoS in Canary Wharf, from what I could tell, they have:
    - Explorer II
    - green and white milgaus
    - Sea dweller

Enquired about a new Daytona and said it was a 7 year wait
    Wow you must be a VIP, as I am NOT even on the list to be considered in the waiting list...poor me

Goldsmith’s in Nottingham have an almost full compliment or Rolex sports models - steel Daytona black face, Sub, SeaDweller, DSSD, and one of each colour combo of GMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The unified Rolex in the window thread

Just to add, all are marked as “exhibition only”.
    I find that so peculiar that you cannot get on the waiting list for most, yet they are displaying them in the window.

Merry (taking the) Pissmas.

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 17th December 2021 at 14:12.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Goldsmith’s in Nottingham have an almost full compliment or Rolex sports models - steel Daytona black face, Sub, SeaDweller, DSSD, and one of each colour combo of GMT

Windup or are they for exhibition only watches?

Windup or are they for exhibition only watches?
    Wind-up? All automatic I think.

No, they are genuine watches, but not for sale. Seems a bonkers marketing strategy to me.

Some pics. There were more.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Some pics. There were more.

Yeah I thought it would be exhibition models only.

It makes sense instead of seeing bare displays, however the whole privileged list is for sure unfair. It would be fair if it was on first come first serve basis, with the buyer making a decision if they want to go on a 5-10 years waiting list but having to commit a deposit of some sort...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I thought it would be exhibition models only.

It makes sense instead of seeing bare displays, however the whole privileged list is for sure unfair. It would be fair if it was on first come first serve basis, with the buyer making a decision if they want to go on a 5-10 years waiting list but having to commit a deposit of some sort...
    Bit of a tease really

“Super, smashing, great! Look what you could of won”

That's their Christmas stock waiting to be collected.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

This^

Craftsman
    and straight onto the grey market on Instagram

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    and straight onto the grey market on Instagram
    Correct, someone on my car forum just bagged a blue faced Nautilus & is already thinking of flipping - crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Correct, someone on my car forum just bagged a blue faced Nautilus & is already thinking of flipping - crazy!
    5711 was discontinued in blue. Is it the 5712 or a different nautilus?

I heard a head office Rolex executive was made aware of this thread and said - I’ll show that lot of moaning muppets what’s in the window - and the display only watches was born!

The AD staff must be delighted with all the prospective punters who don't know what "Exhibition Only" means, rushing in to ask; "Can we buy that Rolex in the window?"
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

41mm at Goldsmiths Cribbs Causeway. Love the sizing personally and gold nicer than expected but not for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Goldsmiths in Newcastle this morning had a SD, DSSD and various DJs in the window....all marked for display purposes only.

Master
    When recently purchasing a watch. I took it home and noticed 1-2 very minor marks under closer inspection. Only visible when you catch the correct light. The only way I could explain it to myself is due to it perhaps being an exhibition watch in the window and being tried on by various people. Slightly annoying !

I assume they retain stickers in the window? Which means it makes less sense, but cannot think of any other way it could happen.

p.s. I am over critical - they would probably not be visible at all to 99% of people, but they are there !

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    When recently purchasing a watch. I took it home and noticed 1-2 very minor marks under closer inspection. Only visible when you catch the correct light. The only way I could explain it to myself is due to it perhaps being an exhibition watch in the window and being tried on by various people. Slightly annoying !

I assume they retain stickers in the window? Which means it makes less sense, but cannot think of any other way it could happen.

p.s. I am over critical - they would probably not be visible at all to 99% of people, but they are there !
    When I bought my speedy pro 10 years back from Ernest Jones it had quite a few light marks on the bracelet from being on display and obviously tried on a fair bit. Managed to negotiate extra discount which based on how prices have gone was a good outcome.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

It could also happen during resizing of the bracelet perhaps?

Guess if you want a Rolex that you've had to wait for, there's not much room to be disputing things like this...

Master
    It could also happen during resizing of the bracelet perhaps?

Guess if you want a Rolex that you've had to wait for, there's not much room to be disputing things like this...
    I did think that. But no resizing took place on this one.

It is stingy short to start with!!!

Was called today by a friendly AD. I'd expressed interest in the Red dial OP 3 days ago. Did I want it still and if so I would need to complete today so it hits their 2021 target.

Too damn right! Wow that WAS fast! Headed straight to the AD but sadly wires had gotten crossed as the 41mm Coral Red OP was actually a 31mm ladies version and of course I passed on it. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Was called today by a friendly AD. I'd expressed interest in the Red dial OP 3 days ago. Did I want it still and if so I would need to complete today so it hits their 2021 target.

Too damn right! Wow that WAS fast! Headed straight to the AD but sadly wires had gotten crossed as the 41mm Coral Red OP was actually a 31mm ladies version and of course I passed on it. Damn.
    Sounds like a cheeky bait and switch by the AD lol

No idea if these are hard to get or not but there's a BB58 Gold in the window of Chisholm Hunter Kingston

This is available. I think a 36mm OP? Not exactly glamorous I know but it is steel!

Does the price mean it's available? Not for me but my friend is on the list for that colour in 31 I think which the other one might bethis in Kingston, Ryan?

Does the price mean it's available? Not for me but my friend is on the list for that colour in 31 I think which the other one might bethis in Kingston, Ryan?
    Hi

Yes I presume this was available as it didn't have the display only sign which the sports models in the display windows to the left and right had. But if your mate took his five grand, walked 20 metres to Chisholm Hunter opposite and perused the Grand Seikos there he would IMHO be able to purchase a timepiece of inestimably higher quality than what is surely one of the most humdrum Rolexi to ever make it out of the factory :).Alternatively there are 2 Tudor boutiques and 2 Omega Boutiques in a 50 metre radius, plus Zenith, Breitling, Panerai etc :)

This is available. I think a 36mm OP? Not exactly glamorous I know but it is steel!
    What store was this?

Hi

Yes I presume this was available as it didn't have the display only sign which the sports models in the display windows to the left and right had. But if your mate took his five grand, walked 20 metres to Chisholm Hunter opposite and perused the Grand Seikos there he would IMHO be able to purchase a timepiece of inestimably higher quality than what is surely one of the most humdrum Rolexi to ever make it out of the factory :).Alternatively there are 2 Tudor boutiques and 2 Omega Boutiques in a 50 metre radius, plus Zenith, Breitling, Panerai etc :)
    It's for his wife and she's set on a Rolex but not a loud one. Not my cup of tea, I thought he would have got a DateJust 31 with the new green dial, but under the radar and Rolex are the two main criteria.

Hi

But if your mate took his five grand, walked 20 metres to Chisholm Hunter opposite and perused the Grand Seikos there he would IMHO be able to purchase a timepiece of inestimably higher quality than what is surely one of the most humdrum Rolexi to ever make it out of the factory
    I could not disagree more...

I think the OP range are the nicest models (subjective) in the Rolex catalogue at the moment, its true understated class.

Most of the GS's on the other hand are generally oversized and too thick. I also really don't get all the raving about Zaratsu polishing as it doesn't look much different to my eye than most other mid range polishing on watches, its just a scratch magnet that will cost a fortune to have re-polished in Japan!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is it definitely available. I've seen watches like this. Not say for exhibition only but the AD the say not for sale.

It's for his wife and she's set on a Rolex but not a loud one. Not my cup of tea, I thought he would have got a DateJust 31 with the new green dial, but under the radar and Rolex are the two main criteria.
    Ah sorry I thought you meant the one at the back. The other one doesn't have a piece which normally doesn't augur well for availability

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Is it definitely available. I've seen watches like this. Not say for exhibition only but the AD the say not for sale.
    If its M&W then they are exhibition models and not for sale.

Master
    As others have mentioned, the models above are probably for display only now as this appears to be the current business model in place at many ADs. There is a very well known AD here in Perth whose display is empty bar three models, for display only. The owners are totally fed up with the current situation and the flack they get daily from customers, so much so that they are allegedly terminating their AD. They have a wonderful GS range now which is a bonus, especially for sleepy old Perth. The Tudor display is the same and it has two BB58, display only and nothing else to view. I was only in there for a bracelet repair but I was very surprised at how bad it is now and I have never seen it look so bleak but alas, I'm not the target audience anymore and so that's ok. Each to their own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    The owners are totally fed up with the current situation and the flack they get daily from customers, so much so that they are allegedly terminating their AD.
    Surely the quid pro quo for the grief is making good money on watches they sell and on other sales from customers hoping to get a leg up on the list?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Surely the quid pro quo for the grief is making good money on watches they sell and on other sales from customers hoping to get a leg up on the list?
    But that's the point, they're not selling Rolex as they have no stock and barely three watches at any one time on display and allegedly, don't know what stock they are getting. I mean, there is nothing in the displays, it's surreal considering maybe not 2-3 years ago, there was plenty (excluding the professional series of course). I'm no expert but I do sympathise unless of course it's just all BS, but I don't get that impression.

They are also a very fine jewelers and cater for very affluent customers and suburbs of which they do very well but, if you can't actually show potential customers what Rolex is available or when, that surely must be frustrating after a while along with all the other costs they incur for displays etc. This isn't a chain but a small "family" business.
    Last edited by stix; 13th January 2022 at 14:39.

Blog Entries
    But that's the point, they're not selling Rolex as they have no stock and barely three watches at any one time on display
    We have been led to believe that ADs had no stock to sell as they had sold it all. I.e. They were still getting the same amount of stock in from Rolex but were just selling it before it hit the windows.

Is this AD saying that they are really getting less stock in from Rolex than previously? If so, it seems possible that they are being shut out by Rolex.

and allegedly, don't know what stock they are getting.
    Hasn't that always been the case with Rolex? I.e. They send what they want you to have.

They are also a very fine jewelers and cater for very affluent customers and suburbs of which they do very well but, if you can't actually show potential customers what Rolex is available or when, that surely must be frustrating after a while along with all the other costs they incur for displays etc. This isn't a chain but a small "family" business.
    I guess the proof will be in the pudding. If they really do terminate their Rolex dealership then you'll know they were telling the truth about restricted supply. If they are still a Rolex AD in, say, six months then it was just marketing.