closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 60 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 3,000 of 4067

Thread: The unified Rolex in the window thread

The unified Rolex in the window thread

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I just can’t see the point or economic sense of a shop with no stock and virtually no chance of having any soon.
    I’m sure they do get stock, but it goes straight to allocations.

I was more shocked by the five staff in a completely empty showroom. I guess they’re selling more watches than ever so are still getting their commission and don’t care if they have to stand around and do virtually nothing all day.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 8th April 2022 at 03:00.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Hulk and Batman in the window of Rolex shop in Covent Garden today with list prices (£8.4/5k from memory). Didn’t bother going in, just assumed they weren’t available to actually buy.
    They have nothing for sale. Exhibition only it’ll be (and won’t be a hulk)

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    They have nothing for sale. Exhibition only it’ll be (and won’t be a hulk)
    Pretty sure it had a green dial and bezel.

Craftsman
    It did. I saw it yesterday too. But it is display only despite having a price tag.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    It did. I saw it yesterday too. But it is display only despite having a price tag.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Got to wonder what the point is! Imagine walking past the indie and thinking, I like the look of that, so you go in expecting to buy only to be told it’s not for sale, and furthermore we’re not willing to put you on a list for it because you’ve got no purchase history.
    But you have nothing to sell me!

Journeyman
    Got to wonder what the point is! Imagine walking past the indie and thinking, I like the look of that, so you go in expecting to buy only to be told it’s not for sale, and furthermore we’re not willing to put you on a list for it because you’ve got no purchase history.
    But you have nothing to sell me!
    Its insane, surely something has to change??

Journeyman
    Hulk and Batman in the window of Rolex shop in Covent Garden today with list prices (£8.4/5k from memory). Didn’t bother going in, just assumed they weren’t available to actually buy.
    They had a Batman in Heathrow T3 today....exhibition only. Literally....what is the point? Would surely do the sales persons head in the amount of people asking if they can have it!

I reckon that by now many ADs have got the hang of how best to “display” the exhibition only models:

- not in demand models in the exterior window display.

- slightly more in demand models on display inside, but as far from the door as possible.

- most in demand models in the private viewing area.

Best way to discourage folk from bothering the AD by asking to try stuff on that they have no chance whatsoever of getting.

Also provides the opportunity to home in on longstanding customers who were previously able to obtain the decent stuff and tell them they also now need to buy some tat for continued access to the in demand models they have just tried on.😀

I think certain models don't get exhibited. Only place I've been able to try on a WG Sub with the blue bezel is WF. Never seen a steel Daytona or a steel SkyDweller in the window either.

Tbh it made realise why people buy from WF -- once it was on my wrist I didn't want to take it back off again.

Knowing my card would decline made it easier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think certain models don't get exhibited. Only place I've been able to try on a WG Sub with the blue bezel is WF. Never seen a steel Daytona or a steel SkyDweller in the window either.

Tbh it made realise why people buy from WF -- once it was on my wrist I didn't want to take it back off again.

Knowing my card would decline made it easier.
    Rolex shop in Geneva airport
    Incredible selection including Steel Daytonas

That reminds me on another thing.
    I was over in Geneva a few weeks ago and was amazed how helpful the staff were in the high end watch shops.
    Never once did you get the feeling it was a chore.
    The PP store is quite a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

I was over in Geneva a few weeks ago and was amazed how helpful the staff were in the high end watch shops.
    Would love to visit then have a jaunt down to Lake Brienz.

Would be great to go into a shop and actually be able to see the different ranges, get an idea of what works, what you’d like to work towards, all while not being treated like dirt.

Craftsman
    Rolex Explorer 1 36mm in the window at my local AD and I tried it on.
    To my surprise the second hand started up and I explained I thought the display only watches were internally empty, but weighted up.
    Oh no, exclaimed the gentleman from the shop - there are all working watches.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    Rolex Explorer 1 36mm in the window at my local AD and I tried it on.
    To my surprise the second hand started up and I explained I thought the display only watches were internally empty, but weighted up.
    Oh no, exclaimed the gentleman from the shop - there are all working watches.
    Many are working models, just not for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Many are working models, just not for sale
    Not yet for sale.

Craftsman
    Not yet for sale.
    Yeah I agree, they'll be in rotation to allow display of different models

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

Any of them for sale!?

Not yet for sale.
    Or already sold/allocated.

I've been informed in writing that mine is tucked away in the safe awaiting collection. But I'm 6000 miles away, so I'm guessing they could do as they please with it.

If it's not fully stickered when it appears from the coffin box, I'll be pretty peeved to say the least.

My neighbour just received his first Rolex, a new black dial Explorer II, he's only been on the list around six months which I thought was quite good considering.

He tried on and enquired about a Daytona, they gave him a lot longer waiting time but said its quite possible which I found surprising with lots of the talk here saying they are impossible, maybe stock quotas are changing??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    My neighbour just received his first Rolex, a new black dial Explorer II, he's only been on the list around six months which I thought was quite good considering.

He tried on and enquired about a Daytona, they gave him a lot longer waiting time but said its quite possible which I found surprising with lots of the talk here saying they are impossible, maybe stock quotas are changing??
    All part of the game...seems they are looking for new clients a lot more these days - give them something to get them started, give them some hope, then get them to buy a load of other stuff in order to work their way up to that unicorn...or maybe I am just cynical !

(Haven't seen many / any steel Daytona incoming posts on here for a long time, although perhaps the lucky ones keep quiet!?)

Master
    I had the most unpleasant AD experience of my life yesterday when I visited Goldsmiths in Reading. Had to deal with a thoroughly patronising whelp in a suit who told me that my "expression of interest" on the submariner and 2 past purchases mean nothing and that I have to build my credit up with him personally as my previous contact there left. Also got told that all new Tudors are expressions of interest, to which I laughed in his face (I tried all of the freely available 2022 releases on in Fraser Hart London last week). Safe to say I won't be going back there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I had the most unpleasant AD experience of my life yesterday when I visited Goldsmiths in Reading. Had to deal with a thoroughly patronising whelp in a suit who told me that my "expression of interest" on the submariner and 2 past purchases mean nothing and that I have to build my credit up with him personally as my previous contact there left. Also got told that all new Tudors are expressions of interest, to which I laughed in his face (I tried all of the freely available 2022 releases on in Fraser Hart London last week). Safe to say I won't be going back there.

Similar experience in Leicester, had been listed for four watches by the previous manager, she left & suddenly nowhere near a call.

Just been into a shop to have a nose as my wife has dragged me shopping and every single Rolex, in the window and in the store, exhibition or otherwise, is ticking with the correct time and date.

Craftsman
    Ok, so back from my hols.

Gatwick, north terminal - no Rolex at all as far as I could see.

Rome, didn't really get to see many watch shops - saw a Submariner Date on the coast near Rome at a local jewellery store for €10,500 (16610 with tritium lume).

Fiumicino airport - Rolex dealership. YM2; Explorer 36mm and gold Daytona all in the window and for exhibition only. I asked the assistant why they were not for sale. They are instructed by Rolex not to sell them and that was about it really. They had lady models there for sale in the shop, but no blokes stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Or already sold/allocated.

I've been informed in writing that mine is tucked away in the safe awaiting collection. But I'm 6000 miles away, so I'm guessing they could do as they please with it.

If it's not fully stickered when it appears from the coffin box, I'll be pretty peeved to say the least.
    That’s an interesting point. What do you do if your brand new Rolex isn’t stickered (and looks like it’s been a display watch for a few weeks) when you go to pick it up? Whenever I’ve bought one I’ve watched them peel all the stickers off in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    That’s an interesting point. What do you do if your brand new Rolex isn’t stickered (and looks like it’s been a display watch for a few weeks) when you go to pick it up? Whenever I’ve bought one I’ve watched them peel all the stickers off in front of me.
    Inspect it, if not to your satisfaction - reject it.

I doubt if they will be over-concerned.

Put your card in the machine, say thanks and go home.

Master
    Had quite the opposite experience with Goldsmiths Reading. I have 2 past purchases and they continue to be engaging with me with no mention of building credit up.

Craftsman
    Exhibition models are stickered, so same process would apply of sticker removal in front of the customer.

Put your card in the machine, say thanks and go home.
    This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    He tried on and enquired about a Daytona, they gave him a lot longer waiting time but said its quite possible ....
    Where's that? I'm in the car ready to set the sat nav!!

Master
    Ah you are just down the road, Binfield here.

Was it Dale you had previous history with? (shortish chap with a full beard?). I had the same concern.

Go back and speak to one of the ladies there, I forget her name but she was brilliant when I was there a while back & looked at my history there previously and was happy I had the required spend. Their record only goes back a certain time frame, so there were other watches not on the system I mentioned.

Clearly that chap you dealt with is an utter tool. I assume she is still there, I was last in when they were in the temporary place opposite & was the first time I had seen the demo watches.

Master
    That’s an interesting point. What do you do if your brand new Rolex isn’t stickered (and looks like it’s been a display watch for a few weeks) when you go to pick it up?
    You say "I don't want that one" and they show you the door!

Lots of other stuff in shops has been tried on or looked at by other people, why should Rolex be different?

Craftsman
    Does seem to matter who you deal with in Goldsmiths Reading. I’ve had very good experience there and also rubbish ones. There was this one chap that wouldn’t give me a discount on an Omega, which happened to be one of the more unpopular models. Bought it elsewhere for a nice price I’m the end.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    There may be quite a few in the AD’s windows from next month is the rumour circulating has any truth in it.

No way. Here is an explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLB27j4vZnU

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Ah you are just down the road, Binfield here.

Was it Dale you had previous history with? (shortish chap with a full beard?). I had the same concern.

Go back and speak to one of the ladies there, I forget her name but she was brilliant when I was there a while back & looked at my history there previously and was happy I had the required spend. Their record only goes back a certain time frame, so there were other watches not on the system I mentioned.

Clearly that chap you dealt with is an utter tool. I assume she is still there, I was last in when they were in the temporary place opposite & was the first time I had seen the demo watches.
    Yep! Dale was a nice guy and always helpful. He left after 10 or so years. No idea where. I'll have to go back and avoid the person I dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestofthebest View Post
    No way. Here is an explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLB27j4vZnU
    Excellent video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yep! Dale was a nice guy and always helpful. He left after 10 or so years. No idea where. I'll have to go back and avoid the person I dealt with.
    Indeed, even let me try on his personal Pepsi. He was always helpful and loved a chat about watches even with none to sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only thing that will drive the demand for these watches down, is if there is no profit to be made in flipping them. As long as there is a healthy profit in it you will continue to have these factors:

1). AD’s or individuals working for the Ad’s selling to third parties that cut them in on their profits.
    2). Production will remain low as the key brands love the demand and hype around their products and their prestige.
    3). Social media hype drives newer people to the flipping game. This goes beyond the initial purchase and AD sale to a secondary flipping market too. You just have to see the scalpers on here buying and selling on EBay to see that demand.

Master
    Mappin & Webb in the Bentall Centre had the usual diamond & gold DJs in the window as well as a steel & gold Daytona and blue OP41 and a smaller OP too.

Not sure if they were exhibition pieces, didn't have the time to call in and ask (blame the mrs)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Mappin & Webb in the Bentall Centre had the usual diamond & gold DJs in the window as well as a steel & gold Daytona and blue OP41 and a smaller OP too.

Not sure if they were exhibition pieces, didn't have the time to call in and ask (blame the mrs)
    They had quite the selection of steel sports pieces inside on Sunday, all exhibition only of course. But if anyone nearby wants to try something they can’t buy on it might be worth a trip.

They had the Explorer in both Steel & Steel/ Gold, Explorer 2 black dial, 2 Subs (date & no date), GMT Master II & Batman and a Sea Dweller.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post

Yes exhibition

Journeyman
    Wow, that's ridiculous isn't it. Past purchases surely go on file rather than associated with a member of staff! I'd be raging!!

Master
    I have to say I've had similar experiences with Goldsmiths in Reading. I appreciate they are catering for a large area so probably have multiple requests each day they cannot fulfill and it gets tiring. But there is a way to deal with that which would keep potential customers onside and may see them purchase watches that are available.

Blog Entries
    I was scrolling bottom up through this thread for some pictures of Rolex in the window rather than comments. Lost interest. Will come back in a year.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I was scrolling bottom up through this thread for some pictures of Rolex in the window rather than comments. Lost interest. Will come back in a year.
    Thread is redundant re windows since exhibition models now exist. Should be a new thread for Rolex actually available for sale in the UK for the full gold Pearmasters but what’s the point in that?

Thread is redundant re windows since exhibition models now exist. Should be a new thread for Rolex actually available for sale in the UK for the full gold Pearmasters but what’s the point in that?

Opened the thread cos I thought “Jeez! Don’t tell me Wileeeeey is adding to this nonsense????”

Thankfully - not.

It really is redundant, now. A load of old Bolex.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I genuinely don’t think things will be radically different in a year.
    Maybe the odd datejust, but not much more.

Maybe this needs changing to the 'The empty Rolex display in the window'.....?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Maybe this needs changing to the 'The empty Rolex display in the window'.....?
    But it's not empty