closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 65 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,250 of 4069

Thread: The unified Rolex in the window thread

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tbh unless you want the green or turquoise OP31 I don't see you having that much issue.

Most likely a case of put down your/her name and then wait for the specific configuration to come in.

That said I think DJ will be quicker/easier than OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    New Bond St is fun for watch looking - almost every AD down there somewhere. You can always pop in for a Guji (sp) bag while your at it! Have fun. Sometimes I miss the Big Smoke.
    Ta - just on the way home now, good trip around all the brands, inevitably came back to Rolex. The 36mm Datejust was a tad big and the next size down is much too small, so the 34mm OP won the day. Interest registered, the sales lady was actually super helpful, hopefully she won’t have too long a wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    A few years ago after buying a preowned PP from an AD I asked about an Explorer. A little while later the call came. What surprised me was that the SA told me if someone local to the shop was after that model they'd have been given first dibs! I live 57 (driving) miles from the AD. (There is no AD in my home town these days)

Fast forward a couple of years and I got a call from the SA asking what job I did before retiring from working at sea. Anyway, no problem telling him what I did. I then asked if it would make any difference if I'd had a lower rank position and he said not really. He said they were just building profiles of customers. It's anybody's guess what they do with all these profiles.
    Nothing to do with data mining - they wanted to ensure that you weren't an ex 'Star-gazing tally clerk"..............

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Ta - just on the way home now, good trip around all the brands, inevitably came back to Rolex. The 36mm Datejust was a tad big and the next size down is much too small, so the 34mm OP won the day. Interest registered, the sales lady was actually super helpful, hopefully she won’t have too long a wait.
    Hi M1011 - can I ask which shop this was at. I plan to do something similar for my mum but it would be good to know any places that are amenable to me walking in and putting a request for a DJ or similar.

And sorry to all for taking this off topic but this thread has been veering for some time :)

Quote Originally Posted by 765 RS View Post
    Hi M1011 - can I ask which shop this was at. I plan to do something similar for my mum but it would be good to know any places that are amenable to me walking in and putting a request for a DJ or similar.

And sorry to all for taking this off topic but this thread has been veering for some time :)
    It was the Watches of Switzerland a few doors up from Harrods in Knightsbridge. They were far more friendly than the Rolex AD within Harrods itself. Of course this may be down to the particular staff member we spoke to.

I’ve have also been pleasantly surprised with how friendly they are at that WoS. Much less snooty than the Regent’s Street branch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Hey Matt - They were picked up from a UK AD whilst we were visiting. We still live in VN.

I guess my short post makes it sound like I just walked in and was able to buy whatever I took a fancy to... Not quite the full picture.
    I have a great relationship with the AD. One that is built on conversation, camaraderie, and also purchasing. I'm not stupid enough to think that good, pleasant chin wags will get you a hard to find trinket. Conversely, neither does it take spending six figure sums on other stuff.

We both play a fair game.
    Cheers Jon, yes it did sound like a walk in and pick a watch! Great to have the relationship, I don’t get into town often enough to chat with my contact there.

Plus if I keep buying other things, I will never get to buy what I’d really like! As an aside, prices are now going too strong for my liking even at RRP for some models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    It was the Watches of Switzerland a few doors up from Harrods in Knightsbridge. They were far more friendly than the Rolex AD within Harrods itself. Of course this may be down to the particular staff member we spoke to.
    Thanks, and thank you Harryb too!

Has anyone used WoS in Birmingham? I wonder how likely they are to take a new customer seriously. The AD I have some history with seems to have forgotten all about me so I’m going to try somewhere else.

Currently in Schiphol - few display pieces. Had a chat with the sales guy who said “currently we have zero watches for sale”.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I hope they're not on commission then.

Might be cheaper just to have a fancy advertising display.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Has anyone used WoS in Birmingham? I wonder how likely they are to take a new customer seriously. The AD I have some history with seems to have forgotten all about me so I’m going to try somewhere else.
    I found them quite helpful when I was there a few weeks ago to buy a watch. First experience and had no complaints.

Journeyman
    What's the deal with availability on women's models these days? Taking my sister watch shopping tomorrow as she wants to buy her first proper watch (currently has one of those Daniel Wellington things..). I'm going to try and show her around a few good brands, but she's already gravitating towards Rolex as a known quantity. She likes the DateJust, steel with the fluted bezel and jubilee, based on the website, but personally I think 31mm will be too small and 36mm may be too big, so wouldn't surprise me if a 34mm OP ended up being a better bet on wrist. Are these all reasonably available or should I look forward to getting sneered at for having no purchase history?

Sort of hoping she goes for something a bit less flashy anyway, so we'll check out Cartier, Omega, JLC, Zenith etc too. Probably going to head to Harrods and the surrounding area given it's packed with options, although maybe that's not the smarted place price wise.
    I've been on the waiting list for a fairly standard DJ36 for my wife - for 18 months. I have no previous buying history. Kicking myself, as we went in March of 2020 and could have walked away with it, but chose to wait and think it over some more........woops.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Currently in Schiphol - few display pieces. Had a chat with the sales guy who said “currently we have zero watches for sale”.
    Must be painful for them to have to tell god knows how many people a day that same story....

Blog Entries
    Display only models in Algarve same for Patek also. Cabinets full of models - none to buy.

I also asked about seeing an AP as they were listed on the AP website- but they were no longer an AD - nearest boutique . . . Spain.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th September 2022 at 11:54.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I found them quite helpful when I was there a few weeks ago to buy a watch. First experience and had no complaints.

Thank you. Hope my experience is positive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartyuk View Post
    Must be painful for them to have to tell god knows how many people a day that same story....
    Almost as painful as reading about trips to the Rolex dealer for a ‘most pleasant chat’……………………….

I've been on the waiting list for a fairly standard DJ36 for my wife - for 18 months. I have no previous buying history. Kicking myself, as we went in March of 2020 and could have walked away with it, but chose to wait and think it over some more........woops.
    Which AD is this? I picked up one of these in a couple of months from a London AD with no real purchase history.

Id go grey market for this, in your situation.
    A DJ36 won’t be much over retail at all, and saves more waiting around.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Almost as painful as reading about trips to the Rolex dealer for a ‘most pleasant chat’……………………….
    Exactly this.

Master
    You need to change AD

Blog Entries
    Spoke to AD December last year and went on the list for a 31mm DJ steel/gold for Wifey.

Got the call this week it is in.

Pitch

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Spoke to AD December last year and went on the list for a 31mm DJ steel/gold for Wifey.

Got the call this week it is in.

Pitch

Fibber Paul, bet it's for you!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Fibber Paul, bet it's for you!!!
    Ha, even with my tiny wrists I would struggle with that.

Trust all is well buddy.

Paul

Trust all is well buddy.

Paul
    31 is the new 36:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Id go grey market for this, in your situation.
    A DJ36 won’t be much over retail at all, and saves more waiting around.
    Unfortunately not, they retail around £5,800 and in the grey market you’re looking at least £8,000-£11,000. I’d change ADs.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Unfortunately not, they retail around £5,800 and in the grey market you’re looking at least £8,000-£11,000. I’d change ADs.
    £6100 is now cheapest, and 2022 models are from £7300 on chrono (and chrono prices are sometimes a bit over). Still not nothing, but potentially worth considering for convenience.
    Of course, as you say, AD best offer by miles.

Trust all is well buddy.

Paul
    I’ll let you off matey. All good here and trust you and yours are too. 👍

Master
    can someone post a picture of an authorised dealership or something? When I look at the forum on my phone it keeps showing the image that earlofsodbury posted?? I cannot upload anything other than from post images, which doesn't seem to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    can someone post a picture of an authorised dealership or something? When I look at the forum on my phone it keeps showing the image that earlofsodbury posted?? I cannot upload anything other than from post images, which doesn't seem to get rid of it.
    I get that too! Any picture would be better!

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Try this

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Thanks, far better. I wonder how long it will be before we get to see actual Rolex watches that are not 'exhibition only'?

Blog Entries
    Thanks, far better. I wonder how long it will be before we get to see actual Rolex watches that are not 'exhibition only'?
    Cost of living crisis, rising inflation, recession. Maybe these may temper the demand and allow stock to begin to show. Discuss ………

Pitch

You can, if you choose, remove 80% of all new Rolex demand and it’ll still leave that demand way outstripping supply for years and years……that’s the reality of the situation. And no, Rolex are not making any more watches either…

Don’t expect “exhibition only” to disappear anytime soon….at all. Sorry 😢

Craftsman
    It's taken quite some time and effort for some luxury brands to build an element of 'exclusivity' which drives the demand we've been seeing, I don't think that they'd be willing to give that up anytime soon.

Maybe the odd ladies datejust, but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    It's taken quite some time and effort for some luxury brands to build an element of 'exclusivity' which drives the demand we've been seeing, I don't think that they'd be willing to give that up anytime soon.
    I agree with this

D

Fear is usually worse than reality so when it comes to what may or may not happen in a recession then current market sentiment is reflective of what will happen to the Rolex market and that is still cracking along nicely.

Reality is that government interventions will mitigate many of the worst effects of any economic downturn, and in particular with the nature of our current government these interventions will particularly favour the people who are in the market to buy a Rolex. So I don't see anything changing much without an increase in supply.

Journeyman
    With no rolex in russian ADs, shouldnt there be more floating about?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    I can only imagine that the oligarchs are still getting their Rolex fix somewhere, somehow. And a lot of countries are very much still friendly to Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    There were no rolex in UK shops before the war, so there were probably none in the orc's shops either.
    So f#$% all X f#$% = f#$% all.

Master
    I suppose some High end watches (Rolex, PP, VC) are now seen as a tradeable commodity and as a store of value especially with the explosion of social media and advertising. Especially as every year there seems to be a price rise so a ‘protection’ against inflation as well

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Display only models in Algarve same for Patek also. Cabinets full of models - none to buy.

I also asked about seeing an AP as they were listed on the AP website- but they were no longer an AD - nearest boutique . . . Spain.
    I was in QDL last week , called in to the Rolex AD and had a chat with the SA who was far more open and explained that they only had one Rolex actually for sale which was a ladies DJ in WG with a president bracelet and diamond bezel.

I told him the two watches I’m interested in and mentioned that I could pay by bank transfer and be there to collect within 24 hours, he just smiled and told me they would be offered to their high nett worth clients first .

He did offer me a drink though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was in Kitzbühel recently and they don’t even bother with exhibits in the window.

Just Rolex magazines open at the pages with product photos.

You had to laugh.

Journeyman
    Rolex boutique, Heathrow T4 yesterday.
    Exhibition only models including TT Daytona, 2 x Milgauss, a Sub, a batgirl, a Pepsi on jubilee, tons of TT DJs and a couple of OPs. The only watch available for sale was a TT 28mm DJ with diamond bezel at £13k. The 2 SAs openly talked about not adding names on the GMT lists.

Quote Originally Posted by emmm View Post
    Rolex boutique, Heathrow T4 yesterday.
    Exhibition only models including TT Daytona, 2 x Milgauss, a Sub, a batgirl, a Pepsi on jubilee, tons of TT DJs and a couple of OPs. The only watch available for sale was a TT 28mm DJ with diamond bezel at £13k. The 2 SAs openly talked about not adding names on the GMT lists.
    All GMT lists are closed at WoS in all metals apparently

The unified Rolex in the window thread

I agree cannot see the situation ending , the only way there will be a drop in demand is if the whole world economy goes to the dogs and then believe me we will have bigger worries than wait lists. Social media has seen to demand always outstripping supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman

The unified Rolex in the window thread

Went into an AD to check on how I was progressing on the waiting list for a Daytona - been two years

They noted that I had came in, went through my purchase history and noted that I was still wearing one of the watches they had sold me (ie I hadn’t sold it it)

Also noted my address was still the same - I can understand this as they prefer selling locally

Still said it could be a number of years but it was good that I popped in.

Interestingly I asked if they did AP watches and the salesman said he had never heard of them…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    Went into an AD to check on how I was progressing on the waiting list for a Daytona - been two years

They noted that I had came in, went through my purchase history and noted that I was still wearing one of the watches they had sold me (ie I hadn’t sold it it)

Also noted my address was still the same - I can understand this as they prefer selling locally

Still said it could be a number of years but it was good that I popped in.

Interestingly I asked if they did AP watches and the salesman said he had never heard of them…

An AD I spoke to recently quoted 12 years for a stainless Daytona. You have to laugh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    I told him the two watches I’m interested in and mentioned that I could pay by bank transfer and be there to collect within 24 hours, he just smiled and told me they would be offered to their high nett worth clients first .
    Admire your chutzpah!

I know someone who got the call for a steel Daytona very recently and was told payment by bank transfer only. On stuff like that they want all the margin possible.