closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Tudor Submariner

Master

2024 Tudor Submariner

Well, sort of. And probably the closest we'll ever get.

41mm only.

I'd bet that at W&W 2005, BB58 monochrome is the latest 'innovation'.

Some of the Tudors look rather nice, but someone once pointed out the 'slab-sided' cases, and that's all I can see now.

What is "Master Chronometer"? A new movement?

METAS for Tudor came out with the black bay ceramic and last year’s burgundy BB41.

I really like this years BB41 and will probably get one but need to see if I can hold my nerve to pick up a pre owned one in a few months instead. Not a 3.9k watch IMO.

0.9mm thinner this year so the same thickness as the 2023 burgundy

This is a winner for me. Good size and love the monochrome, am not a fan of gilt and faux vintage. This is a solid, purposeful watch, and the METAS chronometer is a bonus. Will be all over this in time, when they are readily available.

Does look rather nice. But not 4k nice..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I like that a lot, at nearly 4k it's not cheap but in today's market looks like a winner to me.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just doesnt work on jubilee imo. Oyster is okay but bloody rivets again!

I actually like it on the jubilee, & don’t feel the price is that much of an issue. Seamasters now increased, Subs now increases. What do people expect to be its rivals?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    No rivets on the gold BB58 which is promising. Hopefully that filters through one year.

Poxy Jubilee spoils it!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Much prefer the GMT they've just announced.

Master
    So, all three of Tudor's new efforts use a different design of crown, the GMT and Mono use a Rolex running second hand, snowflake on the gold BB58, rivets on steel Oyster bracelet but not gold or steel jubilee...looks a right mish mash of parts and design language.

Should we start the 2025 predication thread now ?

This does look nice, but as others have said £4K is a touch high.

That is until I see it in the metal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Some of the Tudors look rather nice, but someone once pointed out the 'slab-sided' cases, and that's all I can see now.

They also have a nice flat case back that I think sits nicely on the wrist, superb clasps and bracelets

Another year wasted circling the real goals ('Twas ever thus)
    The arrival of a small GMT is very welcome, but the gilt and coke colour pallet ruins it for me.
    This sub is very Meh.
    A BB with a choice of bracelets and the adjustable clasp is nice, but not exceptional.
    Just as well I have no spare cash to spend, there's nothing there to tempt me.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Jubilee or rivets is a poor choice when ah sod it, I leave it is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The arrival of a small GMT is very welcome, but the gilt and coke colour pallet ruins it for me.
    I really like Tudor GMTs but this was my exact same thought. BB Pro is the pick of the GMT bunch still for me.

I think the only other Tudor I'd like to try that I've never handled before would be the BB54.

BB Pro with a slimmer 39mm case is giving me impure thoughts!

The BB Pro is a fairly decent looking watch. Just a shame that the lower half of the bezel numbers are upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The BB Pro is a fairly decent looking watch. Just a shame that the lower half of the bezel numbers are upside down.
    Standard format for a fixed bezel GMT though, would be a bit odd if they were upside down on a bezel that doesn't rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Standard format for a fixed bezel GMT though, would be a bit odd if they were upside down on a bezel that doesn't rotate.
    Agree...I don't see anything unusual...same format as the Exp 2.

It's the same as numbers on a dial.
    Last edited by Christian; 9th April 2024 at 23:46.

Master
    Its a nice watch but I feel it’s priced high; I purchased my firsts sub date ceramic for less in South Africa I am not sure I see it on that level yet.

I will wait for a sale or used one to appear if I pull the trigger.

Journeyman
    Do I feel personally they're overpriced: YES

Do I feel they're overpriced in comparison to any of the other big Swiss brands with constant price increases: NO

Just the way of the world now guys.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Agree. The proportions even on the 58 are slab sided but much better than the larger watches. The best proportioned side in Tudor in the sports collection is the Pelagos 39.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Agree...I don't see anything unusual...same format as the Exp 2.

It's the same as numbers on a dial.

Good grief. I must confess that I've never paid close attention to the Exp II, but I'm well aware of the model. I never registered that the numbers were also like that on the Rolex. I guess it does make sense on a static bezel. But it still puts me off the idea of ever owning that type of watch....... being used to 'normal' diver type bezels the orientation looks odd to my eyes. Anyway, thanks both for pointing that out.

Craftsman
    I think the only other Tudor I'd like to try that I've never handled before would be the BB54.
    I tried on a bb54 as quite keen on smaller watches - it didn’t feel any smaller than the bb58 I was wearing to me.

There’s something in the diameter to thickness ratio that strangely made the 54, to me, feel a bit chunkier relatively vs the 58

Master
    The more I look at it, the more I like it.
    Ticks quite a few boxes and I'm generally a fan of jubilee so that is also a win for me. It also has the T-Fit which the Rolex models don't on a jubilee (yet).
    Nice colour scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Its a nice watch but I feel it’s priced high; I purchased my firsts sub date ceramic for less in South Africa I am not sure I see it on that level yet.

I will wait for a sale or used one to appear if I pull the trigger.
    A ceramic Rolex Submariner for £4K is impossible these days? In the real world the Tudor is half the price of the Rolex which sounds like pretty good value to me.

Agreed. Tudor were aspirational for many but not any more. Every 'luxury' brand is taking the p*ss now.

Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    Does look rather nice. But not 4k nice..

2024 Tudor Submariner

I look at Swiss watch watches now the same way I look at eg overpriced coffee - even if I was a millionaire I won’t pay north of £4 for a small cup of water, beans and milk and with my means I won’t pay £4k for a nice but unremarkable watch. I just feel like a bit of an idiot handing over the money when I know I’m being rinsed. Interesting that as I reach my mid-50’s and have a bit more disposable income I’ve also become more cynical of branding and less liable to fall for marketing guff. I really can’t imagine who would spend £4k on such an uninspiring looking watch.

I believe Tudor knocked it out of the park lat year with the BB54, the proportions and slimness of the case is sublime. The smaller knurled crown and aged lume makes it, for me the BEST modern thing Tudor have produced. I even love the rivet bracelet and clasp. It's like having a vintage watch without the hassle or worry.

This one for me will take some beating!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I believe Tudor knocked it out of the park lat year with the BB54, the proportions and slimness of the case is sublime. The smaller knurled crown and aged lume makes it, for me the BEST modern thing Tudor have produced. I even love the rivet bracelet and clasp. It's like having a vintage watch without the hassle or worry.

This one for me will take some beating!
    Love the Goldfinger single pass strap.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Does anyone know if the Tudor METAS movements are serviced as normal (and have serial numbers) or if the movements are replaced at service like the kenessi stuff?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Does anyone know if the Tudor METAS movements are serviced as normal (and have serial numbers) or if the movements are replaced at service like the kenessi stuff?
    This might help https://reference.grail-watch.com/20...g-and-norqain/

I am guessing they drop in a new (reconditioned) one at service.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I don't think my BB Ceramic has a movement serial number. Only the case has.

Looking at the Tudor website, to me it reads that movements are serviced as normal -

Craftsman
    I do like the BB Monochrome (on the oyster) but like the BB54 more I think, the only thing I would change on the BB54 is to loose the gilt and change to silver/white like the BB58 Blue then, it would be a prefect watch I think.

I thought the FXD in black was the modern Tudor sub?

I was surprised to hear this black bay in black, no gilt, didn’t exist before.

Put this colour scheme out in the 58 and it will sell like gang busters.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Agreed. Tudor were aspirational for many but not any more. Every 'luxury' brand is taking the p*ss now.
    It felt like you were getting something with real value and quality when buying the blue/black 58 for what, £2.5K?

They’re now nearly £3.5K!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    It felt like you were getting something with real value and quality when buying the blue/black 58 for what, £2.5K?

They’re now nearly £3.5K!
    I paid £2600 for my BB58. I felt that was ok.

I don’t think I will buy another luxury watch now I will just hold what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Got to save some ‘innovation’ for W&W ‘25 or ‘26.

Got to save some ‘innovation’ for W&W ‘25 or ‘26.
    Yup.

BB58 monochrome with METAS movement and T-fit clasp at W&W25.
    £4K

2024 Tudor Submariner

Paid just over £2k new for my BB58 almost 5yrs ago. What’s RRP now £3.3k ish. Personally and I seem to in the minority £4k doesn’t seem that expensive considering, yes the watch may be bland to some, but if you look at the competition Breitling, Tag Heuer, Omega, Tudor offers a lot. Yes the equivalent Omega is better spec wise but also more expensive. Oris maybe but the Acquis isn’t mainstream enough.

Now I know £4k is a lot of money, but once you start spending a couple of grand, we all up our budget to the next bracket!

I’ll also add the drop in value, well it isn’t a Rolex, Patek or AP so all watches drop!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post

Agree. Rare I would buy anything new from an AD at this price point. Was happy to wait a while to try both the Gilt and Blue BB58 variants on the secondary market but would find this hard to resist in the 58 case…….Get that it’s boring for many but just suits my tastes for some reason. Never bonded with the OG and moved it on. Still have the blue and although I like it, I don’t find myself reaching for it all that often.

For those that have owned Rolex watches of lets say the 1990`s era, how do these modern Tudor watches stack up against them quality wise.

I know modern Rolex watches will be superior but what about new Tudors VS what Rolex were making 25 / 30 odd years back.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    For those that have owned Rolex watches of lets say the 1990`s era, how do these modern Tudor watches stack up against them quality wise.

I know modern Rolex watches will be superior but what about new Tudors VS what Rolex were making 25 / 30 odd years back.
    Modern Tudor keeps better time than modern Rolex. Tested and proven over several of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Modern Tudor keeps better time than modern Rolex. Tested and proven over several of each.
    METAS vs COSC on the newer stuff so stands to reason

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

I’d say my current BB58 definitely feels better made than my first 5513 and later 14060M. The bracelet is much better quality and the finishing and detailing seem higher. For instance I tried wearing the 5513 on a NATO for a while and the lack of finishing between the lugs seemed very poor. The bracelet was very jangly with a pressed clasp. All of the Rolex I’ve owned were very accurate for the first year to 18 months then wandered - and my BB58 is the same. Having owned every sports model of that era except the Daytona I really don’t understand the hype. I sold them all because they were all a bit boring if I’m honest. But glad I got to do that when I could walk into a shop, buy one there and then for £1500 -£2300 with no fuss or wait lists!

2024 Tudor Submariner

METAS vs COSC on the newer stuff so stands to reason
    Not just METAS, 58 and 54 I had for a while were also better. +1 a day. Never slow.
    Last edited by Toshk; 11th April 2024 at 20:50.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’d say my current BB58 definitely feels better made than my first 5513 and later 14060M. The bracelet is much better quality and the finishing and detailing seem higher. For instance I tried wearing the 5513 on a NATO for a while and the lack of finishing between the lugs seemed very poor. The bracelet was very jangly with a pressed clasp. All of the Rolex I’ve owned were very accurate for the first year to 18 months then wandered - and my BB58 is the same. Having owned every sports model of that era except the Daytona I really don’t understand the hype. I sold them all because they were all a bit boring if I’m honest. But glad I got to do that when I could walk into a shop, buy one there and then for £1500 -£2300 with no fuss or wait lists!
    Thanks for that insightful reply, and thanks for being honest.

Very interesting about the 1999 released 14060M in particular.
    Last edited by xellos99; 11th April 2024 at 21:11.