closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 69 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,450 of 4075

Thread: The unified Rolex in the window thread

I was in in Whitby at lunch time today and they had an impressive sports rolex display. The prices didn't seem that bad based on the crazy prices I've seen recently. The Hulk and Starbucks both looked in lovely condition.

Master
    Goldsmiths of Chelmsford have (as of this lunch time) two 40mm DayDates (YG with diamond bezel, and WG with fluted bezel), a ladies steel DateJust and a bi-metal Explorer available at retail.

Salesman told me the people on the DayDate waiting lists mysteriously disappeared when the watches finally arrived in store.

Has a white gold Sub on its way in for a customer, salesman is worried that won't be collected either. He also hinted at having gold SkyDweller in his safe that no one has bought yet, and will be going to Goldsmiths Lakeside if no one collects it.

Personally I don't see a £50,000 RRP diamond DayDate selling in Chelmsford.

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Goldsmiths of Chelmsford have (as of this lunch time) two 40mm DayDates (YG with diamond bezel, and WG with fluted bezel), a ladies steel DateJust and a bi-metal Explorer available at retail.

Salesman told me the people on the DayDate waiting lists mysteriously disappeared when the watches finally arrived in store.

Has a white gold Sub on its way in for a customer, salesman is worried that won't be collected either. He also hinted at having gold SkyDweller in his safe that no one has bought yet, and will be going to Goldsmiths Lakeside if no one collects it.

Personally I don't see a £50,000 RRP diamond DayDate selling in Chelmsford.
    Just post a PSA in Sales Corner, that'll move them in an instant.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Human nature, we want what we can’t have, as soon as we get the call we become suspicious, why me, how many people have turned it down so we run a mile.

I bet if these stores started ringing round across a range of models the waiting lists would quickly disappear.

Looks like this thread is back in business then

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

I bet if these stores started ringing round across a range of models the waiting lists would quickly disappear.
    Do you actually know just how long some of these "lists" (or whatever database a retailer uses) really are for the Rolex watches that are in/have been in huge demand for quite some time really are??

Just adding that question for context...

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Do you actually know just how long some of these "lists" (or whatever database a retailer uses) really are for the Rolex watches that are in/have been in huge demand for quite some time really are??

Just adding that question for context...
    No, but I’m guessing a fair percentage are just looking to make a quick buck.

Let’s say an AD (Goldsmiths, WOS etc) suddenly take a big delivery from Rolex. Each store gets 100 steel Daytona and 100 GMT and they start ringing the names on the lists telling them the days of the lists are over, there are now plenty for everyone, just come in, there is one waiting for you.

If they rang 100 people I’m guessing less than 10 people would actually turn up and buy.

Just questioning who are on these lists for context.

Grand Master

The unified Rolex in the window thread

What do you find in the trade is you get a lot of enquiries from people saying they've had a phone call from an AD about collecting a watch and they want to know what price they are going to get before they buy it because clearly they're intending on turning a profit. Given the (true) current state of the market, they are not going to be turning a profit, so they are refusing watches when they are getting calls but the lists (albeit they are just random names in no order less what someone fancies phoning that day)
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Looks like this thread is back in business then
    Agreed.

I also saw in a shop window, various models for sale with a price (and confirmed with the staff they were for sale), including:
    WG Sub
    Various DD 40mm - including a few without any diamonds
    All types of Sky Dweller in PM - bracelet, OF, etc.

Not wanting to be 'Boring Sandwich' about this, but only a matter of time now before this filters down to other steel models, which are currently sitting in their safes looking for homes, but the retailers are probably not yet willing to openly admit they are available.

All guessing of course, i have no insider knowledge on this.

Last time I was in the AD they had two watches for sale. One was a diamond DD but the other was a black DSSD. First time I’d seen an available sports Rolex for sale in years. Seal broken.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

Not wanting to be 'Boring Sandwich' about this
    Good work, quoted for comedic posterity!

Good work, quoted for comedic posterity!
    🤣

Master
    Blog Entries
    About time too!

Master
    Watches of Switzerland shares are down 35% since early February which may or may not be an indicator of demand for expensive watches. Obviously they have a foot in every market segment and Rolex may be still selling without any effort.

Master
    A number of Rolex for sale in goldsmiths Chelmsford for the first time in a long time. All two tone and mainly ladies but surprisingly a two tone explorer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    A number of Rolex for sale in goldsmiths Chelmsford for the first time in a long time. All two tone and mainly ladies but surprisingly a two tone explorer as well.
    See post #3402 Stu ��

Hope you’re well

Wen discount, frens?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Wen discount, frens?
    Not sure about discount but must be a lot of bundling going on right now with the openly for sale models.

Does anyone have experience of waiting times for the new EXP 1 40mm? I'm hoping to be in a position to think about buying watches again at the start of next year and I'd like one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Does anyone have experience of waiting times for the new EXP 1? I'm hoping to be in a position to think about buying watches again at the start of next year and I'd like one of those.
    Some people on the TRF have got them as a first purchase already.

I’m not allowed another watch on my list right now so I’ve gone down for it elsewhere. No history there so they gave me the generic nonsense to set my expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Some people on the TRF have got them as a first purchase already.

I’m not allowed another watch on my list right now so I’ve gone down for it elsewhere. No history there so they gave me the generic nonsense to set my expectation.
    OK thanks that's useful to know cheers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Not wanting to be 'Boring Sandwich' about this, but only a matter of time now before this filters down to other steel models, which are currently sitting in their safes looking for homes, but the retailers are probably not yet willing to openly admit they are available.

All guessing of course, i have no insider knowledge on this.
    Interesting thoughts. My local independent AD is telling me the lists on S/Steel Sports models are suspended and I’m unlikely to get an OP Celebration dial ever. I’m booked in for an appointment at the local Goldsmiths now for a chat. I’m expecting the waffle about spending history etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Are DJ36 fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet in blue dial available for purchase? If so can someone PM me?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

These two tone Explorers are a tough sell for an AD

I’ve seen a few waiting for homes too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anything that seels close to or less than RRP will be readily available. The watches aren't scarce because of the demand of people wanting to wear them. The huge demand is made up of people who just want to flip the watch for a profit.

There will be a level on models that as they get close to retail the demand will fall away massively. AD will probably think the demand is still there but the people who put there names down will soon disappear.

I imagine must bimetals will be sourced failey quickly and I expect most steel watches to start becoming available over the next couple of years.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Are DJ36 fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet in blue dial available for purchase? If so can someone PM me?
    I got one immediately earlier in the year. I got a little lucky. One of my fav watches, wear as much as ceramic dayrona, pp etc…
    Best kept secret.

Craftsman
    DM Robinson in Canary Wharf had a full window, I’m assuming all available as they weren’t marked for exhibition and had prices displayed

Two tone datejusts, pretty much full range of Sea-dwellers including the SD43, Explorer polar

Literally never seen that before (bearing in mind I got seriously into watches around 5 years ago

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    DM Robinson in Canary Wharf had a full window, I’m assuming all available as they weren’t marked for exhibition and had prices displayed

Two tone datejusts, pretty much full range of Sea-dwellers including the SD43, Explorer polar

Literally never seen that before (bearing in mind I got seriously into watches around 5 years ago

Weirs in dublin was similar but when I went in and asked they were display only

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Anything that seels close to or less than RRP will be readily available. The watches aren't scarce because of the demand of people wanting to wear them. The huge demand is made up of people who just want to flip the watch for a profit.

There will be a level on models that as they get close to retail the demand will fall away massively. AD will probably think the demand is still there but the people who put there names down will soon disappear.

I imagine must bimetals will be sourced failey quickly and I expect most steel watches to start becoming available over the next couple of years.
    Whatever happens, or not, I don’t think Rolex will be losing sleep any time soon on their well cultivated wholesale business model.

People who think (or let’s be honest) “hope” wait lists will disappear once the flipper market dwindles are a bit deluded in my own view. No discounts on the horizon whatsoever and not a hope in hell that any desirable Steel Professional watches will be freely available anywhere in the world anytime soon.

Why? Because Rolex just won’t let it happen and let it devalue the brand and subsequent halo effect of people wanting/waiting for watches they want to buy, own and enjoy irrespective of the secondary market value.

Master
    Whatever happens, or not, I don’t think Rolex will be losing sleep any time soon on their well cultivated wholesale business model.

People who think (or let’s be honest) “hope” wait lists will disappear once the flipper market dwindles are a bit deluded in my own view. No discounts on the horizon whatsoever and not a hope in hell that any desirable Steel Professional watches will be freely available anywhere in the world anytime soon.

Why? Because Rolex just won’t let it happen and let it devalue the brand and subsequent halo effect of people wanting/waiting for watches they want to buy, own and enjoy irrespective of the secondary market value.
    Time will tell. With people being forced back to the office in many case and mortgages only going up on the near future peoples personal finances are taking a battering. This can only lead to less demand for luxury goods. One year from now it will be interesting to see where we are with this. I certainly wasn’t expecting to see any Rolex in windows with prices for sale already but here we are.

Blog Entries
    I can wait a year. No rush

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post

For exhibition only

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    For exhibition only
    Thanks for the update on that one. was going to try my luck with the polar

Journeyman
    Is anyone else noticing more and more pieces in windows atm, but as per, display only?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky21 View Post
    Is anyone else noticing more and more pieces in windows atm, but as per, display only?
    Difficult to quantify fully but my gut feeling is there are more pieces in shop windows of AD’s.

Also there certainly seems to be a lot more brand new / very nearly new stock in the grey dealers up and down the country

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive noticed a lot of the watches in grey ADs that I was eyeing up last summer are still unsold.

Also some PPs eg 5164 have dropped from 80k into the late 50 / mid 60s. I guess people feeling the pinch or the flipping aspect is no longer attractive to the scalpers! Therefore not surprised if Rolex ADs are slowly improving stock wise!

Master
    I've had 3 Rolex out of an AD in 8 months. These were my first 3 watches from these guys. 2 of which I was on the list with them for 2+ years

If I look at the prices the 3 are going for on Chrono24 I probably wouldn't make a profit if I were to sell them all.

This doesn't matter as I'm not looking to sell at the moment. I'm sure this would matter for loads of others though.

I did ask for a Starbucks and they told me the list is closed....

Weirdly though the original AD I was with before these guys haven't called me with a thing even though they promised me a DD40 for my 40th which is coming upto a year ago now.

I'm convinced these lists are a farce now and it's just if they like the look of your face or something.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I'm convinced these lists are a farce now and it's just if they like the look of your face or something.
    Nothing new; it’s been that way for 5 or 6 years.

I’ve got some modest “history” with a AD dating back to the days when watches were available. Last time I stuck my head round the door, I was treated like something unpleasant they’d trodden in.
    Last edited by David_D; 20th June 2023 at 13:21.

For all the hopeful stories we see of watches being more available I think we’ll find as we all deep down know that for every 1 watch there is a queue of 10 buyers at least so no one is getting lots of watches soon.
    The only way around the flipper problem is for full payment up front or 6 months before delivery with up to 1 year of payment being held by the dealership. This would discourage flippers as most of them are using expensive credit which will then bring back an equality to the market. Basically if you don’t earn a salary of £50 k min a year then in reality you should not be buying multiple Rolex at £10k.+ every year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Nothing new; it’s been that way for 5 or 6 years.

I’ve got some modest “history” with a AD dating back to the days when watches were available. Last time I stuck my head round the door, I was treated like something unpleasant they’d trodden in.
    Contrarily, I had a very pleasant email from a dealer I’d bought my explorer 1 for my 50th - so a little while ago - seeing if I’d like to come in to check over my watch, tighten the bracelet, check timing etc and look at stock. I had to decline as no longer in the country but nice to be thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    For all the hopeful stories we see of watches being more available I think we’ll find as we all deep down know that for every 1 watch there is a queue of 10 buyers at least so no one is getting lots of watches soon.
    That queue of 10 people gets very short, very quickly when there's no money to be made on resale. The reason why 9 out of 10 people want a Rolex is because you could easily resell it for more than you paid. That's now changing on Oyster Perpetuals, DateJusts, Explorers and Gold Yachtmasters and I think it'll continue to more models in the catalogue. As it was before, there will always be waitlist models.

Once upon a time it was just Daytona's that were impossible to buy, then Green Subs, then all Subs and GMTs and then it spread to Explorer IIs, Yachtmasters, DateJusts, Oyster Perpetuals, until everything became unavailable. That order will soon reverse, as we're seeing now with models that depreciate the most being available to buy now.

A couple more mortgage rate rises and we'll see all sorts of models in AD windows, not that anyone will care, we'll be too busy wondering how to pay the bills.

Ultimately it is the greys who are driving the market and not Rolex. Whilst someone can buy a new watch for £10k, instantly flip it for £20k and the greys list it for £30k the market and the demand will remain.

If we can reach a point with certain models that the greys are unwilling to pay anything above list, then the money makers will lose interest in those models and more will be made available to people who actually want to buy and wear them, ultimately leading to some watches appearing in windows again.

It will be gradual, starting with the models that are not so hot, Datejust, OP, Airking, Explorer etc hopefully leading in time to the Subs and SDs. I don’t see the GMTs or Daytona as part of this, I think they will remain hot, elusive and overpriced for years to come.

Far easier to buy a 4 or 5 digit model in my opinion, plenty available without list prices to contend with, just the market rate at the time.

Grand Master
    The queues are getting considerably shorter and if there was no money to be made there would not be a queue.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If we can reach a point with certain models that the greys are unwilling to pay anything above list, then the money makers will lose interest in those models and more will be made available to people who actually want to buy and wear them, ultimately leading to some watches appearing in windows again.
    That is a lot of the models now with the exception of only a few.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    The queues are getting considerably shorter and if there was no money to be made there would not be a queue.
    This, once the premium is taken out I suspect there will be lots of passes if they get the call. As rates rise further it’s going to put the squeeze on many

Totally agree plus a lot of greys won't buy or offer they all going down the commission route unless cheap or pre sold
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Sent from my SM-A325F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Looks like a very tiny piece of good news in the general economic carnage.

I hope to live long enough to get "the call" from my AD about the watch I "expressed an interest" in, in 2017, and being able to tell them to Foxtrot Oscar, I'll get one from Watches of Switzerland. Just my little fantasy.
    Last edited by David_D; 21st June 2023 at 23:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    This, once the premium is taken out I suspect there will be lots of passes if they get the call. As rates rise further it’s going to put the squeeze on many
    Agreed - I don't see who will be buying solid gold watches full stop, let alone to flip as rates rise.

Come winter I fully expect every AD will have DayDates and SkyDwellers languishing in windows.

Master
    I was offered a skydweller on bracelet in rose gold in Jan in the local AD. I note that it is still in the window display and for sale.
    I did like it but 43k too much on the wrist.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I was offered a skydweller on bracelet in rose gold in Jan in the local AD. I note that it is still in the window display and for sale.
    I did like it but 43k too much on the wrist.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk
    What AD is this at?