closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 76 of 82 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,800 of 4075

Thread: The unified Rolex in the window thread

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    On which micro demographic? Here? In the real world they are a strong watch and in the trade always in demand if priced accordingly
    True but they are more expensive than other steel sports apart from the deep sea line which I think is where there is less margin for the dealers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    True but they are more expensive than other steel sports apart from the deep sea line which I think is where there is less margin for the dealers .

Same margin for any dealer, You buy and sell accordingly regardless of Platinum Daytona or DJ
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Perhaps they’re popular on the secondary market because they’re only a few quid over retail?
    But that means he must be buying in as a good grand or more under.

Master
    Might not be best place to put this but be extremely vigilant when travelling to south of France. Nice Monaco area. We were gassed in our villa and robbed. 3 Rolexes were stolen along with cash. I’ll update serial numbers later. Never thought anything like this would happen to us. Just be careful out there. Organised crime is on another level.

Milgauss pricing is very interesting and I personally believe some in the trade have got it wrong. Before the withdrawal announcement I was looking to buy and you could buy the Z Blue in mint condition, some even fully stickered up for a little over £9k. Following the announcement several dealers withdrew all their listings of Milgauss for sale while they clearly considered how much of a jackpot it was to them.

When the same watches were relisted most were £2k to £3k more expensive than they were previously. Now the same thing happened a number of years back when the SD4000 was withdrawn, they were snapped up overnight and prices went on to double a number of years later.

This has not happened with the Milgauss as loads are available, but the prices have not fallen back yet. A discontinued SD is always likely to cause more of a sensation than a discontinued Milgauss so the key question is, when will the prices return to where they should be.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Might not be best place to put this but be extremely vigilant when travelling to south of France. Nice Monaco area. We were gassed in our villa and robbed. 3 Rolexes were stolen along with cash. I’ll update serial numbers later. Never thought anything like this would happen to us. Just be careful out there. Organised crime is on another level.

Been popular in France for a few years that, Richard Hammond & Jenson Button to name a few
    RIAC

Master
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you are all okay?

I’ve read about that a few times in the SOF and parts of Spain I think in the last few years. Not sure but think it might have happened to Piers Morgan a couple of years ago.

We’ve just had a week near Entibe in a villa and that crossed my mind before going.

The unified Rolex in the window thread

I was on holiday in Gran Canaria a couple of weeks ago in a German owned hotel and with most guests being German. The Milgauss was the single most popular Rolex I saw I was quite surprised!
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 7th August 2023 at 20:20.

Same margin for any dealer, You buy and sell accordingly regardless of Platinum Daytona or DJ
    Margin ? Do you mean percentage of purchase price is the same for every watch and that is the margin the dealer works on or does that margin change depending on the watch . As my understanding would be a Daytona in steel would have at least a 100% mark up but Dj would not .

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Margin ? Do you mean percentage of purchase price is the same for every watch and that is the margin the dealer works on or does that margin change depending on the watch . As my understanding would be a Daytona in steel would have at least a 100% mark up but Dj would not .

No because as a dealer you dont buy a daytona for RRP you buy it 15-20% back from the going rate

RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I was on holiday in Gran Canaria a couple of weeks ago in a German owned hotel and with most guests being German. The Milgauss was the single most popular Rolex I saw I was quite surprised!
    Germans are not renowned for their fashion sense!
    RIAC

On which micro demographic? Here? In the real world they are a strong watch and in the trade always in demand if priced accordingly
    There’s the dealer get out right at the end Kerry. If priced accordingly.

I sold mine in March and had a hard job getting rid of it. Subdial offered me £8.8k. Was their offer priced accordingly? Wonder which micro demographic they used to try pull my pants down.

I sold a watch the other week, that watch is now listed for sale by the dealer for £4.5k more than they paid me. Too be fair, the dealer offered me more than I was asking on SC, so no complaints.

No because as a dealer you dont buy a daytona for RRP you buy it 15-20% back from the going rate

If the sd43’s I’ve seen going for just above list they must be selling below list to trade
    Very interesting

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There’s the dealer get out right at the end Kerry. If priced accordingly.

I sold mine in March and had a hard job getting rid of it. Subdial offered me £8.8k. Was their offer priced accordingly? Wonder which micro demographic they used to try pull my pants down.
    You said they were unloved, they are very much loved but being slightly larger like the DSSD they eliminate a few buyers compared to the standard main size in the pro sports range. I personally think they are a better buy than a sub or deepsea
    RIAC

You said they were unloved, they are very much loved but being slightly larger like the DSSD they eliminate a few buyers compared to the standard main size in the pro sports range. I personally think they are a better buy than a sub or deepsea
    My favourite two watches by miles are the D-Blue and Sub ND. I had the SD43 and 6 months after I bought it I barely wore it. Not keen on half measures or a fork in the road but appreciate everyone is different.

The case is thin but the caseback is chunky. It needs slimming down a bit there, the cyclops needs removing, then upgrade the sapphire with the AR.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Wow! Don't think I've ever seen on in the wild.

Yikes, a more awful experience I can’t imagine. Hope you and your family are ok. I imagine you are properly shaken up.

The amount of froth in this thread and others is a clear indication that the pent up demand for Rolex is going nowhere. As soon as AD prices approach RRP there will be a feeding frenzy, particularly on SS Professional lines.

And as for this YouTuber and others of his ilk, why do they all look and sound like ex cons. They all present like dodgy second hand car salesmen. Market, market, market......yawn.

Rolex is, unwittingly, developing a massive image problem a la Burberry.

Maybe for some models, but a lot of buyers are heavily influenced by ‘asset value’ (rather than investment), knowing that they can easily sell their trinket when the boiler or the Audi needs some serious work. Once that safety net is removed many will fear taking the plunge. Clearly on here there are those who collect £10k-£30k watches for fun and clearly they won’t be worrying about such things.

Just as the money men may be moving on, so will those who worry about the value and instant saleability of their watches. As always, several layers, money men, now hopefully moved on. Those with deep pockets, who don’t give a shit either way and those who perhaps shouldn’t be playing hopscotch in a minefield.

I’ll leave it you to decide which camp you fall into.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    The amount of froth in this thread and others is a clear indication that the pent up demand for Rolex is going nowhere. As soon as AD prices approach RRP there will be a feeding frenzy, particularly on SS Professional lines.
    If market conditions become such that most flippers are scared off, supply for many models will be much closer to demand. Flippers have been a big part of the demand for a few years now, as witnessed by the number of new models you (still currently) see on eBay, WF, C24, etc.. Not saying that AD windows will be full of Professional models but they might be available with a reasonable wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Maybe for some models, but a lot of buyers are heavily influenced by ‘asset value’ (rather than investment), knowing that they can easily sell their trinket when the boiler or the Audi needs some serious work. Once that safety net is removed many will fear taking the plunge. Clearly on here there are those who collect £10k-£30k watches for fun and clearly they won’t be worrying about such things.

Just as the money men may be moving on, so will those who worry about the value and instant saleability of their watches. As always, several layers, money men, now hopefully moved on. Those with deep pockets, who don’t give a shit either way and those who perhaps shouldn’t be playing hopscotch in a minefield.

I’ll leave it you to decide which camp you fall into.
    I know that I fall in to the camp that doesn't care about future values. Why would I? I bought what I bought because I considered it affordable at the time and because I like collecting nice watches and Rolex are undoubtedly very nice watches if you like upper middle market, sporty, mass produced icons and are not so taken with high horology.

I have just picked up a Seiko SJE093 62MAS reissue and that has me far more enthralled than any Rolex in my collection. Something about the simplicity, purity and lack of conceit has me hooked.

Grand Master

And as for this YouTuber and others of his ilk, why do they all look and sound like ex cons. They all present like dodgy second hand car salesmen.

Could you elaborate on this please? What do ex cons and dodgy car dealers have as characteristics and what is the massive image problem it has?
    RIAC

Grand Master

This is one of the dials I want to see in Rolex
    RIAC

Master
    (Don't follow - how are AD prices not RRP?)

Blog Entries

Really???????? I cannot see that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    (Don't follow - how are AD prices not RRP?)
    Oops, meant grey.

Could you elaborate on this please? What do ex cons and dodgy car dealers have as characteristics and what is the massive image problem it has?
    I was speaking metaphorically using examples as a trope. I am generalising that many of the you tube oracles telling us about the Rolex Market both here and in the States appear to me as rather unsavoury characters. Let me cite Paul Thorpe as a sort of central embodiment. I am sure Rolex would never use him as an official ambassador.

Grand Master
    I was speaking metaphorically using examples as a trope. I am generalising that many of the you tube oracles telling us about the Rolex Market both here and in the States appear to me as rather unsavoury characters. Let me cite Paul Thorpe as a sort of central embodiment. I am sure Rolex would never use him as an official ambassador.
    I am unsure what makes them unsavoury, could you explain?
    RIAC

I am unsure what makes them unsavoury, could you explain?
    My perception!

My opinion.

You will have to accept it unfortunately as I am really not invested in trying to educate you.

Grand Master
    My perception!

My opinion.

You will have to accept it unfortunately as I am really not invested in trying to educate you.
    That’s fine, I just got the impression that you think someone with tattoos and straight talking is not as desirable as someone in a suit well spoken because I can assure you that the most unsavoury people are those who wear a costume and pretend they are delightful to you whereas the ‘unsavoury’ you refer to are in the main some of the best and straightest talking people you will meet.

You have the immaculate Rolex denying you a product you wish to buy in the ivory tower with all the trimmings giving you zero information of f**ks and a genuine straight talking grey dealer explaining exactly how it is right now for the majority of the market and they appear ‘unsavoury’. !! To even suggest that the Burberry effect is polluting Rolex is naive, the Burberry market and profits are made up of a large demographic and they are not all posh and polished types, the same is true of Rolex it is by no means an ‘Elite’ product and believing that or wishing that to be true is ridiculous - My Opinion
    RIAC

Look these are fair points.

My comments were somewhat throwaway and not intended to be picked apart forensically.

I enjoy you contributions on here and am aware you have a lot of trade experience so lets move on and get the thread back on track.
    Last edited by petay993; 8th August 2023 at 18:37.

Master
    . To even suggest that the Burberry effect is polluting Rolex is naive, the Burberry market and profits are made up of a large demographic and they are not all posh and polished types, the same is true of Rolex it is by no means an ‘Elite’ product and believing that or wishing that to be true is ridiculous - My Opinion
    I don't think he was meaning the posh and polished types.
    Pretty sure it's the Chav types and Burberry that's being referenced.

I'd also say the tattoo sleeve/half sleeve is as much of a costume as a guy in a suit.
    Last edited by Hood; 8th August 2023 at 18:41.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I don't think he was meaning the posh and polished types.
    Pretty sure it's the Chav types and Burberry that's being referenced.

I'd also say the tattoo sleeve/half sleeve is as much of a costume as a guy in a suit.
    Please dont feel im having a dig i apologise but the chavs or apparant chavs do get a hard time and there are loads of decent ones in the uniform / mould. Indeed I am myself, by appearance, unsavoury
    RIAC

Craftsman
    That’s fine, I just got the impression that you think someone with tattoos and straight talking is not as desirable as someone in a suit well spoken because I can assure you that the most unsavoury people are those who wear a costume and pretend they are delightful to you whereas the ‘unsavoury’ you refer to are in the main some of the best and straightest talking people you will meet.

You have the immaculate Rolex denying you a product you wish to buy in the ivory tower with all the trimmings giving you zero information of f**ks and a genuine straight talking grey dealer explaining exactly how it is right now for the majority of the market and they appear ‘unsavoury’. !! To even suggest that the Burberry effect is polluting Rolex is naive, the Burberry market and profits are made up of a large demographic and they are not all posh and polished types, the same is true of Rolex it is by no means an ‘Elite’ product and believing that or wishing that to be true is ridiculous - My Opinion
    Are you the man in the video….? For what it’s worth as I agree

Master
    Blog Entries
    Indeed I am myself, by appearance, unsavoury
    Never judge a book by its cover.

However, many do which makes me wonder why some people choose to appear in a way that they know will lead to them being misjudged by others.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Wow! Don't think I've ever seen on in the wild.
    A German? They’re fairly common.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Never judge a book by its cover.

However, many do which makes me wonder why some people choose to appear in a way that they know will lead to them being misjudged by others.
    It would be a sad existence if your whole appearance was based around what others think

Appearance / accent snobbery is quite common.

Live and let live I say

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    It would be a sad existence if your whole appearance was based around what others think

Appearance / accent snobbery is quite common.

Live and let live I say

Agreed, but some people seem to choose to appear in a way which must see them constantly misjudged by others and it must be a constant (tiresome) battle to address such snobbery …

Grand Master
    Agreed, but some people seem to choose to appear in a way which must see them constantly misjudged by others and it must be a constant (tiresome) battle to address such snobbery …
    Not really i feel sorry for them and their narrow mindness.

RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not really i feel sorry for them and their narrow mindness.
    Is there an upside in the situation?

Grand Master

The unified Rolex in the window thread

Yeah you don't have to make polite conversation with dull false wannabe fucks
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah you don't have to make polite conversation with dull false wannabe f***s
    Sounds beneficial. I’ve been fairly mainstream in appearance most of my life but my accent is probably considered lower class or that of someone with less education… but that is easier to switch if necessary.
    Last edited by Montello; 8th August 2023 at 22:04.

Grand Master
    Sounds beneficial. I’ve been fairly mainstream in appearance most of my life but my accent is probably considered lower class or that of someone with less education… but that is easier to switch if necessary.

My podcast managed to hit 10k views in 4 months without any negative nellies so maybe not everyone is a judgemental snob!
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    My podcast managed to hit 10k views in 4 months without any negative nellies so maybe not everyone is a judgemental snob!
    Sounds interesting, what was it about? Any link?

Yeah you don't have to make polite conversation with dull false wannabe f**ks
    So that represents your opinion of probably a fair chunk of the forum.

Nice…
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 8th August 2023 at 22:34.

Grand Master
    So that represents your opinion of probably a fair chunk of the forum.

Nice…
    No forum are all middle age normal ish jean wearers with the odd prom queen and showman thrown in. But usually just above average hard working achiever's.

One thing i have learned is in person the forum lads are alright in general.
    RIAC

No forum are all middle age normal ish jean wearers with the odd prom queen and showman thrown in. But usually just above average hard working achiever's.

Clearly the real world and the social media world are in different universes.

Grand Master
    Clearly the real world and the social media world are in different universes.
    100% true
    RIAC

Master

I thought that said porn queen and got a bit excited.