closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 40 of 81 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 2,000 of 4033

Thread: The unified Rolex in the window thread

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Nope it was for sale. This AD frequently ahs harder to get stuff in the window (Explorer, WG YM, SS Skydweller etc but not Hulk!) It is going to a member here - I won't divulge the AD name until the deal has completed (just in case anyone is tempted to swoop in and bypass the member). The AD treated me appallingly so I hate giving them money but at least it helps someone get a watch they want
    Wow that’s amazing.

Master
    Nope it was for sale. This AD frequently ahs harder to get stuff in the window (Explorer, WG YM, SS Skydweller etc but not Hulk!) It is going to a member here - I won't divulge the AD name until the deal has completed (just in case anyone is tempted to swoop in and bypass the member). The AD treated me appallingly so I hate giving them money but at least it helps someone get a watch they want
    Great heads up Ryan and I’m sure the buyer will be very happy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Saw one in an antique dealers near the Cathedral at Winchester last week BNIB £6,000
    I find it hilarious that the Rolex 2020 release is in an antique store already

Master
    Nope it was for sale. This AD frequently ahs harder to get stuff in the window (Explorer, WG YM, SS Skydweller etc but not Hulk!) It is going to a member here - I won't divulge the AD name until the deal has completed (just in case anyone is tempted to swoop in and bypass the member).
    Strange! I assumed that every dealer would have a list as long as your arm for anything new - or, at worst, would ring round their regulars to see if anyone wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    True though! If you'd said 3 years ago people would put their names on a "waiting list" for an OP, you'd have been accused of having taken leave of your senses!
    The world has gone mad

I put a sell request into Watchfinder in Dec 2019 for a white dial OP39 as I was thinking of getting one and wanted to see what the hit would be if it didn't work out. WF sent me a quote for £3,800-£4,000 and I decided against it.

Imagine my surprise when I got two emails from WF yesterday for the same watch again quoting £3,800-£4,000. One as a reminder and one from one of their stores that I've never been to.

They must be spamming everyone trying to get that Christmas stock ready.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    The world has gone mad
    Yup, about sums it up!

In my view (and I'm wrong as often as I'm right), this is a bubble. Maybe the booming Chinese economy will pick up the excess supply when the UK economy hits reality in the next few months and people paying £12,000 for a grey market 2020 214060 Sub as an "investment" need the cash.

The unified Rolex in the window thread

Saw these two in the window today in Berlin so price is obviously in €Euros

Exhibition only (Hate it when they do that to mass produced metal) but I have to say I was not impressed with the colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Nope it was for sale. This AD frequently ahs harder to get stuff in the window (Explorer, WG YM, SS Skydweller etc but not Hulk!) It is going to a member here - I won't divulge the AD name until the deal has completed (just in case anyone is tempted to swoop in and bypass the member).
    Tidy profit for someone there!

I give you the £7.5k OP! Tell me the world hasn't gone mad.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-OYS...L/324344148267
    Last edited by David_D; 22nd October 2020 at 12:47.

Craftsman

Profit.

Tidy profit for someone there!

I give you the £7.5k OP! Tell me the world hasn't gone mad.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-OYS...L/324344148267
    Giles at Watches of Distinction has the Yellow 41mm at £7.6K. As many have already said in this thread, when you require to go on a list or even consider paying over RRP for a basic Rolex OP no matter what M&M's colour of dial it comes in, simple disbelief.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Giles at Watches of Distinction has the Yellow 41mm at £7.6K. As many have already said in this thread, when you require to go on a list or even consider paying over RRP for a basic Rolex OP no matter what M&M's colour of dial it comes in, simple disbelief.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...are-greedy.asp

"be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful”

Might be relevant to the Rolex market as things stand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Probably just cleaning up. I have been getting similar emails about a few watches I obtained quotes for ages ago but decided not to sell or sold elsewhere. Not necessarily Rolex and not necessarily "in demand" pieces.

Craftsman
    I put a sell request into Watchfinder in Dec 2019 for a white dial OP39 as I was thinking of getting one and wanted to see what the hit would be if it didn't work out. WF sent me a quote for £3,800-£4,000 and I decided against it.

Imagine my surprise when I got two emails from WF yesterday for the same watch again quoting £3,800-£4,000. One as a reminder and one from one of their stores that I've never been to.

why wouldn’t they ? ,that’s what a database is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    why wouldn’t they ? ,that’s what a database is for.
    I've done similar things in previous roles so I get it but there is normally a cut off point to save face. I imagined 10 months would be outside that cut off.

Craftsman
    I've done similar things in previous roles so I get it but there is normally a cut off point to save face. I imagined 10 months would be outside that cut off.

Wasn’t aware that a cut off point would be used in email marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Wasn’t aware that a cut off point would be used in email marketing.
    I don't think you read my post properly. I had two emails - one was a reminder on a 10 month old quote and one was a direct email from one of their stores. A store I have never been I to. The quote reminder may count as email marketing if you're clutching as straws but a store manager manually going through the database from last December looking for leads and throwing out copy/paste emails... not so much.

Craftsman

Laugh

https://www.investopedia.com/article...are-greedy.asp

"be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful”

Might be relevant to the Rolex market as things stand.
    Watches.co.uk have just put up the yellow 41mm for £8.2k. Yes, over £8K for the 80's Skoda yellow OP.

Craftsman
    I don't think you read my post properly. I had two emails - one was a reminder on a 10 month old quote and one was a direct email from one of their stores. A store I have never been I to. The quote reminder may count as email marketing if you're clutching as straws but a store manager manually going through the database from last December looking for leads and throwing out copy/paste emails... not so much.
    Same thing has happened to me a couple of times over the last few weeks. I've been getting direct emails asking if I'm still interested in selling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    Same thing has happened to me a couple of times over the last few weeks. I've been getting direct emails asking if I'm still interested in selling.
    Yep had the same too. Was from the Glasgow office of all places, if my memory serves correctly.

Craftsman
    I saw a couple of submariners in the window of a local jeweler in Harrogate that sells second hand watches mostly omega and Rolex. One of them was at a not so stupid price of around 6.5k

Master
    Watches.co.uk have just put up the yellow 41mm for £8.2k. Yes, over £8K for the 80's Skoda yellow OP.

I’ll raise you. £8,295 for a turquoise one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164466573081

This is insane now!

I have ordered that colour for my daughter, she better not flip it!!

Craftsman

Raise

In that case, I'll raise you! £8750 for the tomato soup red at Watch Club, although they prefer "gorgeous (and rarest variant) vivid Coral Red dial" Obviously no grossly inflated price over RRP embarrasses the Watch Club staff or maybe they just have a laugh after hours when some sucker buys from them.

Craftsman
    In that case, I'll raise you! £8750 for the tomato soup red at Watch Club, although they prefer "gorgeous (and rarest variant) vivid Coral Red dial" Obviously no grossly inflated price over RRP embarrasses the Watch Club staff or maybe they just have a laugh after hours when some sucker buys from them.
    Given that so many places are selling Rolex at outrageous prices like this, there must be enough people buying them

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    Given that so many places are selling Rolex at outrageous prices like this, there must be enough people buying them

Certainly seems that way. Dealers will charge what they believe people will pay and if someone wants to pay double the price to satisfy the need, it's their money!

Still makes me laugh what people will pay to the secondary market for a Rolex.
    Last edited by Flasher; 24th October 2020 at 14:59. Reason: error

Master
    My mind is well and truly blown!

It is not even a pleasant red!

I would rather wear the pink

Asking prices are meaningless if nobody is buying.

Craftsman
    The problem is it becomes like a form of confirmation bias when lots of dealers price like this. People looking to buy, who are not well informed, will look at other retailers online to see if the pricing is sensible where they intend to make their purchase. If lots of places have silly prices, then the buyer thinks that is the norm and will pay it. In effect the dealers are all propping up each other’s prices. Plus people are rightly worried about being sold a fake, so probably justify the expense of going to a dealer over other buying options, when they struggle to get things in bricks and mortar stores. I am not sure that exploitative is a word you can really apply in the context of a luxury watch purchases but it does feel a little exploitative .

Craftsman
    41mm OP black face was put in the window bull ring goldsmiths. Sold an hour ago

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    41mm OP black face was put in the window bull ring goldsmiths. Sold an hour ago

Suspect it's the least sought after colour but 'll look out for it on eBay at £6k+.

Craftsman
    Suspect it's the least sought after colour but 'll look out for it on eBay at £6k+.
    Yeah quick flip for somebody. However I think these will end up in the window in large numbers. Good earner for Rolex

Craftsman

Many.

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    Yeah quick flip for somebody. However I think these will end up in the window in large numbers. Good earner for Rolex
    These will be a great earner for Rolex, who will be undoubtedly churning these out by the tens of thousands over the coming months. Once the M&M's dial novelty wears off on these over time, these will be an easy pick up and no one will be paying over £8k!!!

Why, do you want to buy one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Why, do you want to buy one?
    No, badly expressed. I meant I’ll expect to see it on eBay.

Not a bad watch but list is bad enough and the 41mm looks huge on me anyway.
    Last edited by David_D; 24th October 2020 at 23:47.

Master
    I wonder how many people will buy these because they can’t buy the ss sports professional models they’ve been after for the last couple of years? I’m sure Rolex have done the numbers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I wonder how many people will buy these because they can’t buy the ss sports professional models they’ve been after for the last couple of years? I’m sure Rolex have done the numbers
    I think that it is easy when we are so embedded in the watch community, to think that everyone who wants a Rolex wants a stainless steel sports model. The reality though, i would imagine, is that most Rolex purchases are made by people who are not hardcore watch enthusiasts. Many of those people just want a Rolex and then pick one that takes their fancy. There are plenty of people I am sure who buy an oyster perpetual or a date just, are very happy to do so, and don’t feel they are buying their second choice. They are easy for Rolex to make, clearly not hard for Rolex to sell (I know Rolex don’t directly sell to consumers but you know what I mean) and I doubt that is driven predominantly by a lack of dive watches being available.

I think that it is easy when we are so embedded in the watch community, to think that everyone who wants a Rolex wants a stainless steel sports model. The reality though, i would imagine, is that most Rolex purchases are made by people who are not hardcore watch enthusiasts. Many of those people just want a Rolex and then pick one that takes their fancy. There are plenty of people I am sure who buy an oyster perpetual or a date just, are very happy to do so, and don’t feel they are buying their second choice. They are easy for Rolex to make, clearly not hard for Rolex to sell (I know Rolex don’t directly sell to consumers but you know what I mean) and I doubt that is driven predominantly by a lack of dive watches being available.

+1

Removing all the hype, I'd guess a decent proportion of people wouldn't pick one of the classic long waitlist watches (Sub/GMT/Daytona) if they were just buying one Rolex and everything was commonly available on the shelf. Myself included.

Master
    I kind of agree with what you say as that’s what it was like historically and date justs were always Rolexes biggest seller so it makes sense. However we’re now seeing regular posts on various forums where people in the watch community are buying Rolex watches that. . . They don’t really want. Second or third choice so to speak. Some, many more likely, are buying watches they don’t want to ‘get on the list’. Worse still people with no real interest in watches are buying them as the return is better than banks. People that know me, know I have an interest in watches, so I get asked quite a lot about them. I could name a dozen or so people who have asked what to buy to make money on (my answer is always that anything you can buy won’t make you money, you are just gambling). It’s all a bit sad but true. So I go back to my point, Rolex no doubt have done the numbers on how many of these they can sell.

This thread has sort of lost its purpose. It was never intended to be a debating chamber, just a heads up of watches freely available to buy.

Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    This thread has sort of lost its purpose. It was never intended to be a debating chamber, just a heads up of watches freely available to buy.

Just saying...
    This ^

Craftsman

Just saying...
    Fair enough

Just saying...
    Some are fond of ‘Flashing’ their Rolex opinions at any given opportunity 😄

Fair enough

fair eough indeed

Craftsman
    Any updates on whether the deal is completed? Will be positive news indeed if there is the occasional OP41 sitting in the window.

Master
    I was shown these earlier this week without asking. Didn’t realise they were difficult to get. Then again I didn’t ask if I could buy as I wasn’t interested anyway. They would have probably said “exhibition only” if people are waiting.

Last edited by FK77; 29th October 2020 at 11:40.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I was shown these earlier this week without asking. Didn’t realise they were difficult to get. Then again I didn’t ask if I could buy as I wasn’t interested anyway.

Where were they?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    Where were they?
    I’ve asked the AD about availability. If they’re available and you want to buy, I’ll PM you the details.

If they had the yellow too please drop me a pm!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I’ve asked the AD about availability. If they’re available and you want to buy, I’ll PM you the details.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    If they had the yellow too please drop me a pm!
    Just heard back from AD. Yep, “view only” pieces and they’re treating them the same as professional models.