closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sydney based watchmaker has gone walkabout with my CWC Navigator - what to do?

Master

Sydney based watchmaker has gone walkabout with my CWC Navigator - what to do?

My long-treasured CWC Fat Case Navigator - now apparently a watch rarer, if less valuable, than a Rolex MilSub, stopped working. I took it and a replacement movement (also hard to find) to Tony Cruse of Time Connections in Sydney back in June for him to overhaul and fit the replacement movement. After several phone calls and texts since then, in the last of which (22 August) he apologised for the delays and said he would "do today", he has now dropped off the radar. His mobile phone number goes to a phone company message that "the person you are trying to reach is not available. Please leave a short 10 second message". He doesn't answer his door.

I've had this watch for 30 years and it has a great sentimental value. It reminds me rather too much of GeoffD, once of this place. I think I shall have to take him to the Small Claims Court - but I will need to quantify my losses. Can anyone suggest an appropriate value to put in the claim? Or any other route to recover the watch?

Can't help with value but feel for you. That's unfortunate and shameful behaviour.

John,

With regard to the value, £250-£300.

Regards,

Rich

That sucks, and I feel your pain. This has happened to me twice. I was also one of those who suffered at the hand of Geoff. Based on that experience (and the other one), my advice is not to give up. I didn't let Geoff get away with it and tried relentlessly to get my stuff back till, after a few months, I succeeded. So don't give up just yet - keep trying. I wish you good luck!

Pardon my intrusion to your thread Jack; out of idle curiosity I looked up Time Connections and then searched under the address.
    You've probably already done the same, but if not, in the same building albeit a different suite is Max Schweizer Swiss Watch Service. A wild card perhaps but how about calling them? They might be familiar with Tony Cruse and know where he's gone, if even still in business?

Failing that, maybe contacting one or more of the posters to the WUS thread 'Sydney Members - Who is your trusted watchmaker?'

He seems to move about a bit, see: ABN Historical Details. Maybe you can trace a current address/contact details through the local business register?

Master
    Thanks, everyone. He was in the same building as Max, which is where I first came across him; a few months ago when I dropped the watch off he was working from his apartment in Zetland. He didn't answer phone or texts, nor his intercom when I called in last week, but Max told me last week that he "is always like that". I sent him a text this morning saying that I was about to call the police and had a message back from "Sharyn" saying I could pick it up from a costume shop in another suburb and apparently fixed, on Tuesday morning. Apparently Tony has gone away for several months for treatment - I don't know what for, but I wish him well, and I'll just be relieved to get the watch back after 30 years of ownership...

Master
    Pleased to hear that, shame you had to threaten with the police before you got a response but hopefully the watch makes it back to you in one piece.

Journeyman
    Sounds like things will resolve amicably if a little delayed. Fingers crossed
    Last edited by Longsight; 14th October 2016 at 15:30.

Angry

I'm trying to get a sentimental watch of my Dad's fixed and its a decent warning to pick carefully!

That’s great news.
    Best case scenario the work is satisfactory and up to scratch, but failing that the watch returned and complete is a good outcome.

Craftsman
    Glad to hear you'll be getting your watch back!