closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Loupe Advice

Craftsman

Loupe Advice

I'm looking to buy a jewellers type loupe for higher management to use for looking at silver hallmarks when she goes antique hunting.

I've seen some on eBay at well under a fiver but wondered if these have the optical quality approaching the bottom of a beer bottle.

I think I need to look at 10x but any advice and recommendations that won't break the bank appreciated

Master
    I use a x20 with a lens about the size of a pound coin (metal case) - superb from the bay of fools.

B

Master
    higher management? please elaborate

The best I've found in 18 years in the jewellery trade.

Belomo Diamond Loupe 10x Triplet Magnifying Glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EXPWU..._VXk.xb6J6WGDZ

Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    Must be the 710....

I have one of these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40x-LED-Po...QAAOSwRJ9Xg2vv

Works fine for the sort of thing you're talking about.

I won't make any claims for its optical purity, but it magnifies small things (like hallmarks) just fine!

M.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    The wife

Master
    I have had loads of loupes. I generally use a Zeiss lens in the shop which cost about £20.
    If it's just for car boot sales then the ebay stuff is fine, the claims are often a bit bold (I have a 30x which is about half as strong as that) but a 20x £2 piece from China should do everything you need.
    Folding is better if it's coming in and out of your pocket, but I have a few strengths of these and they are spot-on;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20X-WATCH-...QAAOSwNSxVSIey

Master
    I glanced at this title and thought several people were giving me advice...

I use a bog standard 10x lens but will look into some of the suggestions made by others.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input. Much appreciated

Master
    20x is good for jewellery, but can be too much for watches, because the field of view is too small.

A 5x loupe with a 1" lens can be ideal. A bigger 'picture' with enough detail.

Better still you can find 5x loupes with 2 lenses, one of which rotates over the other to produce 10x when you need it.

However, remember the golden rule. Never look at your own watches through a loupe. You'll see things you won't like.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I have had loads of loupes. I generally use a Zeiss lens in the shop which cost about £20.
    If it's just for car boot sales then the ebay stuff is fine, the claims are often a bit bold (I have a 30x which is about half as strong as that) but a 20x £2 piece from China should do everything you need.
    Folding is better if it's coming in and out of your pocket, but I have a few strengths of these and they are spot-on;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20X-WATCH-...QAAOSwNSxVSIey
    I have a set of 3 of those and they're great for swapping batteries and other small jobs (gluing bits back on broken models, soldering) as, with a bit of screwing your eyes up, they hold in place.

I've got a cheap one of those eye-glass magnifiers, but it never seems to be the right distance from my eye to focus properly...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    However, remember the golden rule. Never look at your own watches through a loupe. You'll see things you won't like.
    Good advice - Although I've been stung once or twice by people moaning about watches 'with scratches on' that I'd not seen with my reading glasses!

Clearly they'd gone over it with a loupe...

M.

Master

Banned
    I like things with more than one use so I use the magnifier on my Victorinox explorer [old model] ive also got photo negative loupes I sometimes use [in the house]

I was using it this evening just to admire the dial on my Ranger.

old explorer has more magnification

newer model has a larger glass
    Last edited by soapy; 12th October 2016 at 22:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    The best I've found in 18 years in the jewellery trade.

Belomo Diamond Loupe 10x Triplet Magnifying Glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EXPWU..._VXk.xb6J6WGDZ
    How does that hold in the eye socket for hands free use? Do you have to hold it to the eye with one hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    How does that hold in the eye socket for hands free use? Do you have to hold it to the eye with one hand?
    You'd need a strong eye socket to hold it mate :)

You hold it with one hand against your eye and bring the jewellery to the loupe until it comes into focus. I'm not a fan of the eye socket type, it strains my eye and the hand held loupe feels more natural.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Not really, unless you’re planning on measuring the length of something.
    LEDs may come in handy, but given there’s no diffuser in place, may introduce glare.
    Stick with the Belomo that Alex highlighted – it’s got itself a very good reputation for obvious reasons.

If you want to play with bigger boys' toys, then...http://www.loupesystem.com

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    You'd need a strong eye socket to hold it mate :)

You hold it with one hand against your eye and bring the jewellery to the loupe until it comes into focus. I'm not a fan of the eye socket type, it strains my eye and the hand held loupe feels more natural.
    Thank you for the clarification fella. <must get that rock out of the safe for you to take a look at>