closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stockholm - solo travel ideas

Stockholm - solo travel ideas

Gents,

I've booked 4 days in Stockholm next week and I'm staying in the city centre.

Does anyone have any recommendations / must sees whilst I'm out there?

I'm planning on taking my camera and hoping for some outdoor activities as well as the usual city tour etc.

Thanks !

Chris

The Wasa - Awesome bit of history!

The South Island is nice to wander around.

Take a boat trip.

We really enjoyed the open air museum, Skansen. Basically they've relocated buildings from all over Sweden and have people working in some of them carrying out crafts in period dress and manner (eg a Saddlemaker).

Take the rooftop tour of one of the buildings in the old part of town - I get vertigo, so it was partly a case of doing it in spite of myself, but the views are great (and yes they do it in the winter too! )

We got around using the Stockholm 'Borris Bikes' - Worked well for us and cheap.

We had a great long weekend in Stockholm, enjoy!

Probably not much help if you're looking for places to go clubbing, though

M

I've been to Stockholm many times for business but I managed to stay the weekend at the end of Sept with the other half. A must is the Vasa museum, a medieval warship that took 2 years to build and sank about 20 mins into its maiden voyage. 90% of the ship is original and its very impressive. Then there is the ABBA museum just down the road if you're into that. The old town (Gamla Stan) and the Royal Palace is a nice place to walk around with many restaurants. Then there is a cruise around he archipelago, there is a 2.5 hour option and its very scenic. We did this on the Sunday morning, got back early pm which gave us time to see the changing of the guard at the royal palace before going to the airport.

There are some good tips in this thread: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-to-see-and-do

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    There are some good tips in this thread: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-to-see-and-do
    Beat me to it.

We had a great time there - a lovely place largely due to the ubiquitous niceness of (almost all) the people we met.

Vasa museum is a must. Not only for the subject matter but also as a demonstration of how to organise and run a museum.

We also went to Drottningholm palace for the day - and with great weather it was a really lovely journey there and back and also a super walk around the grounds. Go by boat - + that goes for getting around generally : if you can get to anywhere by boat, do so. Get a public transport season ticket too - the only thing in Sweden that is ridiculously cheap.

The museum trail is quite exhausting, so just mooching around Gamla Stan or anywhere in the centre is a great way to pass the time.

Try to learn a bit of Swedish before you go, it's very much appreciated and a great conversation (in better English than we speak) starter.

Lycka till.

Master
    I am heading there today on business, lovely place. Got no recommendations but I am sure you will enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Has the migrant crisis had any impact on the place at all or is the press blowing it out of proportion?

I only ask as I had considered Stockholm for a city break with the OH but I admit to being a bit put off reading some of the stories of muggings and car bombings.

Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    Has the migrant crisis had any impact on the place at all or is the press blowing it out of proportion?

I only ask as I had considered Stockholm for a city break with the OH but I admit to being a bit put off reading some of the stories of muggings and car bombings.
    Yeah, it's like Beirut in the 1970s, best avoided...

It's safer than London - Do you ever go there?

M

Master
    Nobel museum is nice and interesting, can be done in 2hrs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post

It's not blown out of proportion..But Malmö is the place to stay away from (lost several years ago) + the suburbs of Stockholm. Stockholm itself is pretty decent :)

Thank you gentlemen! Looking forward to the trip - I'm hoping not to venture into the less attractive areas!

Craftsman

Stockholm - solo travel ideas

Skansen, Gamla Stan, Gröna lund, lots of nice restaurants. If you like scotch try Ardbeg embassy. By all means, try and talk Swedish but as soon as the Swedes realise your English they'll speak in English with you (better than some English people).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Guido-K; 10th October 2016 at 21:43.

As others have said, The Vasa ship is an absolute must. Simply jaw-dropping. It makes The Mary Rose look like a pile of old rotting planks. Which to be fair, it is.

Think Pirates of the Caribbean, for real.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Khoma View Post
    It's not blown out of proportion..But Malmö is the place to stay away from (lost several years ago) + the suburbs of Stockholm. Stockholm itself is pretty decent :)
    Thanks Khoma :)