closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 4K tv services Sky Q, BT and Virgin Media Tivo2

  1. #1

    4K tv services Sky Q, BT and Virgin Media Tivo2

    I'm in the process of upgrading two of our tv's and will be looking to go with the next gen 4K services. The trouble is that my preferred choice is to wait for the new Virgin Media 4K box as this will be the only option that will give me a one box solution for sport, movies, tv shows and boxsets.
    So I've came up with the short term plan to go with Now TV until the Virgin box is available, so my question is has any used Now TV with a 4K tv and what were the results?

  2. #2
    Master Gruntfuttock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Peasemoldia, UK
    Posts
    5,034
    Hi,

    can't answer your question as such but if you haven't upgraded your TVs yet you need to be aware of an issue with Sony TVs and 4K boxes. Sony have been promising a fix for some time...

    https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/andr...t/td-p/2081726

    Guess which brand TV I have just purchased...but works fine with existing Tivo.

    Have VM announced a release date yet for 4k Tivo?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Hi,

    can't answer your question as such but if you haven't upgraded your TVs yet you need to be aware of an issue with Sony TVs and 4K boxes. Sony have been promising a fix for some time...

    https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/andr...t/td-p/2081726

    Guess which brand TV I have just purchased...but works fine with existing Tivo.

    Have VM announced a release date yet for 4k Tivo?

    I wasn't aware of any Sony problems, but after a long period of demo's and reading reviews I have chosen two Panasonic DX902's. One 65" and the other 58". I've managed to get what I believe is a really good deal on the TV's which have full array back lights rather the edge lighting on most led tv's.
    They should be installed next week, but will have to wait for the 4K VM box. As for the release date they are saying that it should be available by the end of the year, but there has been no updates on the from VM since the V6 box was announced 2 months ago.

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    172
    I've used NowTV with my Sony 4k tv...no problems. Annoying that the NowTV app isn't available to install on the "smart tv", but works fine via the ps3 or the 2nd gen NowTV box (the black one - but not the latest ones). NowTV is still 720p though. On demand stuff looks good, but the "live" stuff is horrible quality.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by esulp View Post
    I've used NowTV with my Sony 4k tv...no problems. Annoying that the NowTV app isn't available to install on the "smart tv", but works fine via the ps3 or the 2nd gen NowTV box (the black one - but not the latest ones). NowTV is still 720p though. On demand stuff looks good, but the "live" stuff is horrible quality.

    Thanks for the reply. A tv app would be good and even though Now TV is only 720p I can put up with it if it's only for a couple of months.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Hi,

    can't answer your question as such but if you haven't upgraded your TVs yet you need to be aware of an issue with Sony TVs and 4K boxes. Sony have been promising a fix for some time...

    https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/andr...t/td-p/2081726

    Guess which brand TV I have just purchased...but works fine with existing Tivo.

    Have VM announced a release date yet for 4k Tivo?
    I use Sky Q 4k with a Sony 4k/HDR TV with not a single problem. I have this model (it is direct, rather than edge lit) and it is superb: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5279898.htm

    Just moved from Virgin to Sky Q, IMHO Sky Q wipes the floor with Virgin.

  7. #7
    Craftsman Go Big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    795
    I would have to agree with the above-Sky Q is miles ahead of Virgin.

    Picture quality is fantastic.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    I use Sky Q 4k with a Sony 4k/HDR TV with not a single problem. I have this model (it is direct, rather than edge lit) and it is superb: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5279898.htm

    Just moved from Virgin to Sky Q, IMHO Sky Q wipes the floor with Virgin.
    I'm sure that Sky Q will be miles better that Virgin's old Tivo with standard HD, but as I want as close to a 1 box solution with with 4K my choices are limited, so I can only look at stop gap options until VM get their finger out.

    Also, which model of Sony tv do you have?

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I'm sure that Sky Q will be miles better that Virgin's old Tivo with standard HD, but as I want as close to a 1 box solution with with 4K my choices are limited, so I can only look at stop gap options until VM get their finger out.

    Also, which model of Sony tv do you have?
    First, I hope VM Tivo 2 is better - it has to be - but Sky Q UHD is v.good, not a massive selection yet, but the movies download quickly even when some are 20gb+ The switching from standard sport to Sky Sports UHD is also fast, and the Q box is working well with the TV in 10bit mode. Thing is the whole box and UI is very fast. What extra 4k stuff will Virgin have?

    As for the TV it is the Sony KD55XD7005 Sony link here: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/te...delPrices=true .

    I got it for 700 (55" model). I got it because I thought it was good for 4k (getting a PS Pro and have a connection from my PC's 1080 card, as well as Sky Q), and figured that reports into it having 'iffy' HDR were OK given it was 700 for a 4k 55". However, then I found it is direct lit rather than edge lit, and a firmware update enabled UHD, I was very impressed. On the 4k and UHD footage I have tried it is superb. The main thing is the direct lit backlit means it does local dimming very well, and has the most minimal 'clouding' I have ever seen on a big TV. Also, there is absolutely zero backlight bleed even though it is an IPS panel. I'm not really sure what is lacking with the TV. It's not wide gamut (but that is source dependent, just because a box supports wide gamut does not mean what the box is playing does). Maybe this is pesudo UHD with this TV, I dunno, but it looks brilliant and better than regular 4k so that'll do! It's not 3d, but so what. Interestingly it is also a later model than the ones people are grumbling about on the Sony forums.

    As for your one box solution, the TV has Amazon video (ink 4k and HDR) and Netflix (also in 4k and HDR) built in.
    Last edited by redsox78; 11th October 2016 at 21:32.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    First, I hope VM Tivo 2 is better - it has to be - but Sky Q UHD is v.good, not a massive selection yet, but the movies download quickly even when some are 20gb+ The switching from standard sport to Sky Sports UHD is also fast, and the Q box is working well with the TV in 10bit mode. Thing is the whole box and UI is very fast. What extra 4k stuff will Virgin have?

    As for the TV it is the Sony KD55XD7005 Sony link here: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/te...delPrices=true .

    I got it for 700 (55" model). I got it because I thought it was good for 4k (getting a PS Pro and have a connection from my PC's 1080 card, as well as Sky Q), and figured that reports into it having 'iffy' HDR were OK given it was 700 for a 4k 55". However, then I found it is direct lit rather than edge lit, and a firmware update enabled UHD, I was very impressed. On the 4k and UHD footage I have tried it is superb. The main thing is the direct lit backlit means it does local dimming very well, and has the most minimal 'clouding' I have ever seen on a big TV. Also, there is absolutely zero backlight bleed even though it is an IPS panel. I'm not really sure what is lacking with the TV. It's not wide gamut (but that is source dependent, just because a box supports wide gamut does not mean what the box is playing does). Maybe this is pesudo UHD with this TV, I dunno, but it looks brilliant and better than regular 4k so that'll do! It's not 3d, but so what. Interestingly it is also a later model than the ones people are grumbling about on the Sony forums.

    As for your one box solution, the TV has Amazon video (ink 4k and HDR) and Netflix (also in 4k and HDR) built in.

    I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on "direct lit" tv's but the Panasonic 902 sets have a full backlight array system which is supposed to give good results and allow for local dimming etc.
    HDR is something that we will hear more about in the coming months, but you are correct that is will be content dependant, but I intend to get a UHD Blu-ray player and slowly build up a collection of discs.
    The "one box" option I mentioned would include all Sky Sports channels, BT sport, Sky Cinema all in 4k and the only way to get this is via VM new 4K box.

  11. #11
    After weighing up the various options I contacted VM again today and have placed an order for their VIP package and have it confirmed that I can upgrade to the new 4K box without penalties.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information