closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Loft Insulation

Master
    Blog Entries

Loft Insulation

This is what I've found in our loft when I pulled back the top layer of rockwool. What an absolute mess and a lovely job to get it all out

Master
    Hope there's no asbestos in the lot

I think Mike Seadog has just done his loft insulation, he really enjoyed it too.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think Mike Seadog has just done his loft insulation, he really enjoyed it too.
    Ha bloody ha Jase,worst job I have done for years!!,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BDStevens View Post
    Hope there's no asbestos in the lot
    I don't want to worry you but it is surprising what asbestos containing materials can be found on residential properties, usually in the loft space. What age is the property.

If you are clearing out the rubbish I would recommend wearing a FFP3 standard mask that helps to protect against asbestos fibres.

When clearing out my loft space there was an asbestos blanket round an old water tank.

Looks like it was re-roofed and they never bothered with a skip just buried it on site.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The house is around 1950s. It's just old rockwool with loads of cruched up polystyrene. Can't believe someone thought it would be a good idea to put all that up there, friggin idiots.

I've got some roofing chaps who are putting a new roof on where I work giving me some of that 4" solid sheet insulation. I'll put that between the joists then lay the new rockwool over that.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    giving me some of that 4" solid sheet insulation. I'll put that between the joists then lay the new rockwool over that.
    That'll be nice and warm then !

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I've got some roofing chaps who are putting a new roof on where I work giving me some of that 4" solid sheet insulation. I'll put that between the joists then lay the new rockwool over that.
    Dont forget the air gap and vapour layer when using celotex.

mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Dont forget the air gap and vapour layer when using celotex.

mike
    Where's the air gap go and what's the vapour layer?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Where's the air gap go and what's the vapour layer?
    I am not an expert mate, but just done my loft!, there should be an 50mm air gap between back of the celotex and the boarding, also once in place there should be a sheet over the room side of the sheets to stop moisture getting to the plasterboard.

but, having looked at your picture, are you sure you have the depth of rafter to get an air gap/celotex sheet in?

mike

When you re-insulate, make sure you put in a moisture barrier on the 'hot' side, otherwise all the nice moist air from the house will mean condensation on the rafters, and this will rot them. I've mentioned this before on this forum, but the government, in their drive to get people to add insulation, are not warning them about the proper way to do it, which is storing up condensation problems for the future.
    We have a dehumidifier running nightly on the landing, and it needs emptying far less often since the vapour barrier went in, I assume because the process also works in reverse- previously it would have been also dehumidifying moist air from the loft. Certainly, there is no dripping from the eaves now, and the rafters and felt are dry.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I am not an expert mate, but just done my loft!, there should be an 50mm air gap between back of the celotex and the boarding, also once in place there should be a sheet over the room side of the sheets to stop moisture getting to the plasterboard.

but, having looked at your picture, are you sure you have the depth of rafter to get an air gap/celotex sheet in?

mike
    Looks as though if your loft has plenty of air flow there is no need for a vapor barrier. im not putting the celotex in between the rafters its going in between the ceiling joists. Can it lie on top of the ceiling plasterboard or does it still need the 50mm gap?

Master
    Used to have condensation in the loft inc dripping from the rafters- added four extra ventilation tiles and doubled the thickness of the insulation and no problems now.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks as though if your loft has plenty of air flow there is no need for a vapor barrier. im not putting the celotex in between the rafters its going in between the ceiling joists. Can it lie on top of the ceiling plasterboard or does it still need the 50mm gap?
    Ah,X thought you were doing rafters!, if in the joists, I don't think you do, especially if you have good air flow, I bought celotex for ours but it's soooo odd shaped with no uniform measurements and shallow rafters I scrapped the idea and went with wool insulation in between both and strung in.

mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    Only reason I'm using celotex is because the roofers are giving it to me ;) otherwise I'd be just putting rockwool in as it would be easier. Can see fitting this celotex being a bit of a nightmare.

Craftsman
    Have you looked into the grants you can get from British Gas for loft insulation? I thought it was all complete tosh and would only apply to low income families but we've got an older house with the "old" minimum insulation, called up BG who sent out an inspector who checked it all out, recommended we get it topped up and two weeks later had the whole loft done FOC. £780 according to the quote but free to us. Worth looking into as it was supply and fit.

Personally I would just put in new rock wool, if you get lucky places like B & Q sell it at very good prices, I've bought the large rolls where you get three rolls in one large pack, at £3 per large pack, last time I just wanted a bit to do a top up it was £25 a large roll
    We have a a 60's built semi, even when I replaced /doubled up or insulation I found many cold bridging spots especially around the dropped ceiling to the bay window (turns out it had never been insulated from build) I used a digital laser type thermometer it was perfect for locating the problem areas, two years on no more horrible black patches, I would imagine a 50's built house will have plenty of ventilation in the loft space.
    I had good results with Celotext in my old garage fitted with an asbestos roof, I left a good 50mm air gap when fitting it, and added vetelation to the garage, no more condensated roof dripping water.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Have you looked into the grants you can get from British Gas for loft insulation? I thought it was all complete tosh and would only apply to low income families but we've got an older house with the "old" minimum insulation, called up BG who sent out an inspector who checked it all out, recommended we get it topped up and two weeks later had the whole loft done FOC. £780 according to the quote but free to us. Worth looking into as it was supply and fit.
    Yep definitely worth looking into, years ago we had cavity wall insulation done through some government grant type scheme from memory it cost £135, probably get it FOC if you know where to look.

Blog Entries
    I had it done free-of charge by British Gas, and I am not a BG customer. They insisted however that the loft was cleared and hoovered prior to that. I paid a firm to do that professionally (costed 200 quid) and then BG covered it with 27 cm rockqwool, free of charge and gave me also a certificate. Another firm has asked me 300 just to top-up the existing old 7cm rockwool.

Master
    Blog Entries

Looking a lot better after a lot of hot sweaty cramped itchy work. Swear I can feel it's much warmer upstairs although placebo springs to mind.