closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started my own business today

Started my own business today

After nursing the idea for five years, today I turned it into reality.

I've spent many years leading and managing people and teams in various business disciplines and my default leadership style is that of a coach. I can do directive when required but I prefer to support and enable individuals to be the best they can be by helping them develop their own thinking and solutions. It's certainly an up-front investment but the rewards are huge for both parties.

Coaching is a real passion for me and, whilst facilitating a programme of coaching events across my business some five years ago, I suddenly thought "I could do this for myself".

That same day I even thought of my company name and I've carried both the idea and the name around with me since then.

I must admit that tonight I feel incredibly proud that I've actually done it. I have a service offering, a website and a Facebook page. I now need to create a Linkedin account for the business. The website and FB pages have already attracted excellent feedback.

There's no giving up the day-job just yet (if at all) as I intend to do both and see how it goes.

All my adult life I've been an employee and, although I still am, I also own my own business. That feels pretty bloody good right now I can tell you.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

Cheers.

PS - I've not attached links or advertised the name as I'm sure that's against forum rules.

Well done you and good luck on your journey.

Hope it works out
    I took the plunge 16 yrs ago

Master
    Good luck - please share a link to your website.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Best of luck with it Dave. Good on you.

Excellent well done. I don't think anyone would mind you posting a link or two. Someone may be in need of your services or be in a position to offer assistance. Good for everyone, surely.

Master
    Really hope for all success for you!

I've spent the last 20 years trying to find an angle but a) I haven't and b) whenever I think about going for it another child appears.

Really heartfelt good wishes from me.

Thanks for your positive comments, they really do mean a lot. As for links, oh well, if you insist:

http://douglasd21.wixsite.com/thecoachstation

www.facebook.com/tcslearn

tcslearn@gmail.com

Journeyman
    Congratulations and the very best with the venture.

Big thumbs up from me! I used to enjoy the coaching side of leadership in a previous job and agree that it can be very rewarding, it's a great way to empower people and give them a greater degree of autonomy.

Blog Entries
    Big

Well done David!

Well done, its a great feeling isn't it, Were all here only once so why not give something a go, as long as you don't threaten your families livelihood then I believe its worth the risk if you have confidence in yourself and the project.

I have been working for myself now for 6 years and haven't really looked back, well I have but only in a positive way to me. I think after you make a success of one venture you have confidence to try others and I'm just in the process of starting up something different and exciting - again.

A good analogy that worked for me is to try two totally different careers in your life, this really worked for me as it refreshed all my learning and ambition as I was bogged down in my old job, to totally let go of the old career and move into something new and risky was not just exciting but I learnt a lot about myself in the process.

Hope it works out for you..

Congrats on the new start, and challenge, its not all roses though, so be prepared for the down sides, but keep positive, and this will get you through the rough times.

Master
    Congratulations! Im a firm believer in the theory that if you put the work in, the rewards will come. Don't take your eye off the ball, give it everything you have and it will be a success.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on taking the plunge - my wife and I have plans to do similar in 2-3 years.

You;ve probably thought of it, but definitely register a suitable domain name for your website - you should be able to arrange with Wix for it to direct to your site.

Craftsman
    Congratulations.

I started my own accounts and tax advisory practice last year, and it's the best thing I ever did.

I took a lot of work to my ex (large practice) employer, and like you I thought "I can do this for myself".

I am sure you will have some bumps along the way, but the hard work is worth it.

If you want a chat or have any queries, please do not hesitate to PM me. I am not touting for your work, I am simply offering some advice as I've been in your boat not long ago, and all the help you can get the better.

Good luck

Darren

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

Always good to hear of these stories and helps inspire others (myself included) to bigger and better endeavours. Well done and I wish you every success.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks for your positive comments, they really do mean a lot. As for links, oh well, if you insist:

http://douglasd21.wixsite.com/thecoachstation

www.facebook.com/tcslearn

tcslearn@gmail.com
    Hope you don't mind me commenting but I'd use a memorable domain if you can. Something like 'thecoachstation.uk' or 'coachstation.uk' maybe?

Anyway, well done and good luck!

Good luck with the venture, I launched a new business on 1 Sept although again, have to keep the day job for now. Completely out of my comfort zone moving into fashion/online retail, but I love it. I've picked a specific niche which hopefully means I can stand out from all the other businesses doing similar! First month exceeded my expectations and I'm slowly building a social media following. Also on LinkedIn finally. I like the fact that my reward is directly linked to the effort I put in 👍🏻 hopefully one day it will do well enough for me to do it full time, but we'all see, half the battle is taking the first step/leap I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Hope you don't mind me commenting but I'd use a memorable domain if you can. Something like 'thecoachstation.uk' or 'coachstation.uk' maybe?

Anyway, well done and good luck!
    I intended doing that however, the wix site requires payment before you know whether your preferred domain name is available. So for now I thought I'd stick with what I have and see how it goes.

The biggest problem I have right now is that my website is impossible to find using a search no matter what combination of coaching related phrases you use.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 6th October 2016 at 08:19.

I could use some advice on this issue please folks. I've found a domain name that I'm happy with and can buy it cheaply at a site called Fasthosts.

Once I own that domain, am I able to apply that to my website using the wix site host to simply change the name of the site?

Sorry if that's a stupid question.

David

I've several domains with Fasthosts and as good as any (IMO). When you buy a domain you'd use (for example) Fasthosts to point it to your actual web-site address.

Good luck, like others I did the same a while ago and it's worked out well.

My tip is don't get hung up on your website and search optimisation. Most of your work is going to come from personal contacts and recommendations, probably because you happened to call at the right time.

Best of luck.

Congratulations on making the move .

Solution focus, on the front page, really should be hyphenated. If I have the time later I'll take a look at the rest of the site and PM you if I've got any other suggestions.

It should be an easy thing for your ISP to change the DNS entry so that your preferred domain points to what you have at the moment.

Well done you.

The biggest step has already been taken: you've started.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Congratulations Dave, all the best for the future! As you know I turned my passion into a business and have never looked back. I would certainly get the domain name sorted out, thecoachstation.com and thecoachstation.co.uk are both taken as is coachstation.com and .co.uk but there are plenty of .ltd, .orgs etc available. It will cost hardly anything and will elevate your (very attractive) website from amatuer to professional in one fell swoop

Blog Entries
    We (my wife and I) took the plunge 8 yrs ago - she has a consultancy firm and I am into classic cars (partly - I still work 2d/wk at a school as teachers' coach and counsellor). We never looked back. Even in the 'bad years' from 2007 on, things kept rolling.

I hope you''ll enjoy it a much as we do.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    Congratulations Dave, all the best for the future! As you know I turned my passion into a business and have never looked back. I would certainly get the domain name sorted out, thecoachstation.com and thecoachstation.co.uk are both taken as is coachstation.com and .co.uk but there are plenty of .ltd, .orgs etc available. It will cost hardly anything and will elevate your (very attractive) website from amatuer to professional in one fell swoop
    Thanks for checking that out Duncan and yes, there are some domains that I'd be happy with. The bit I don't understand is how, when I buy the domain I want, do I make that my address? I've built the website with wixsite so they're the host and I don't know how to get the name changed to the one I want (to be honest I've not tried yet). When I built the site I could, and still can, upgrade to a 'proper' domain name but they want £75 for me to do that. Why would I pay £75 when I already own the domain name?

I can obviously look into this but if anyone can tell me how / give me instructions then I'd be very grateful.

Good luck, I've been self employed since I was 27 and have never looked back.

Well done you, it's a great feeling knowing that all your hard work is being done to benefit yourself and not an employer.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

well done....

When I built the site I could, and still can, upgrade to a 'proper' domain name but they want £75 for me to do that. Why would I pay £75 when I already own the domain name?

I can obviously look into this but if anyone can tell me how / give me instructions then I'd be very grateful.
    In all honesty to have a domain you want on your website for £75 is not really a bank breaker, great if you can get it done for free or less but don't ponder on it, starting a business will of course incur some costs but penny pinching often results in more money lost as you get tied up faffing to save the £75.. once sorted you can move on to the next stage of your business

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    In all honesty to have a domain you want on your website for £75 is not really a bank breaker, great if you can get it done for free or less but don't ponder on it, starting a business will of course incur some costs but penny pinching often results in more money lost as you get tied up faffing to save the £75.. once sorted you can move on to the next stage of your business
    To be honest I'm not moaning about the £75, I was asking why the £75 charge is there if I already own the domain. I'll find out.

Craftsman
    Well done and best of luck, hope it works out for you :)

Nice one David and well done you! I wish you every success with your new venture.... nothing like being your own boss.

Master
    First off, congrats, it will be the best thing you've ever done.

Some info you might find useful:

Did you buy a Limited Company through Company Warehouse? Is your company called The Coach Station Ltd?

If so it appears that Company Warehouse have already registered thecoachstation.co.uk on behalf of the limited company above and was registered on 14th July - was that around the time you started setting up the website?
    http://www.nominet.uk/whois/?query=t...#whois-results

The Sole Director of The Coach Station Ltd is Marie Ward not someone called David Douglas according to Companies House, so presume has nothing to do with you, but if it does then you might have access to the .co.uk domain you need.
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...78177/officers

thecoachstation.com was first registered back in 2010, but appears to be unused, you might be able to buy it from the person that owns it. Their mobile number is on the registrar database:
    https://who.is/whois/thecoachstation.com

Well done.

Now you can stop moaning about being poor and move to somewhere warmer.

Only joking, all the very best to you.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Really well done and best of luck. You sound really passionate about coaching so I am sure it will be a success.

Hi David.I wish you every success.I wish I had the balls to do the same myself.Maybe one day.

Good luck mate.You deserve it.

Best of luck David 👍

Craftsman
    Congrats, well done and best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Hi David.I wish you every success.I wish I had the balls to do the same myself.Maybe one day.

Good luck mate.You deserve it.
    Thanks mate, although no balls involved really as I still have my day-job. Only if this venture becomes financially viable will the day-job be ditched.

Congratulations, I'm sure you wont regret it. I opened my business on the 1st September and it's something I should of done years ago.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 6th October 2016 at 19:21.

Congrats! Did the same and in the same field almost 10 years ago. Best business decision I ever made :) If you think I might provide some helpful perspective, please don't hesitate.

Cheers,
    Christian

Well done David. The hard work really starts now but it's worth it.

FWIW, I actually think you are potentially underpricing yourself and could possibly charge substantially more.

It all depends on your target market though and you know your business far better than I do.

Master
    Best of luck I did the same almost seven years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well done David. The hard work really starts now but it's worth it.

FWIW, I actually think you are potentially underpricing yourself and could possibly charge substantially more.

It all depends on your target market though and you know your business far better than I do.
    I thought long and hard about pricing. I have to remember that my market is going to be local to me and I have to think about what people might be prepared to pay. I'd rather have business coming in than put people off with higher prices. I might have got it wrong but I'd rather under-price than over-price when I already have a salary coming in.

The group / team offering is £50 per hour based on a minimum of a 6 hour day so £300 a day for the session for up to 15 people. Some people have told me that I should be using the number of people in class as a multiplier but I want to attract business from the off and will also be targeting colleges and universities to £300 a day will be good if the work is steady.

We will see.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for checking that out Duncan and yes, there are some domains that I'd be happy with. The bit I don't understand is how, when I buy the domain I want, do I make that my address? I've built the website with wixsite so they're the host and I don't know how to get the name changed to the one I want (to be honest I've not tried yet). When I built the site I could, and still can, upgrade to a 'proper' domain name but they want £75 for me to do that. Why would I pay £75 when I already own the domain name?

(1) You buy the domain name from the owner or the registrar and then pay registrar any renewals.
    (2) You pay your host (Wix) to do the requisite domain name redirection work.

There are ways around this, but require a lot more knowledge about web hosting/dynamic dns etc, and usually more cash. Honestly, just pay the money - if/when your business needs a website big enough to not need Wix then you can address better web hosting at that time.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 6th October 2016 at 20:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    (1) You buy the domain name from the owner or the registrar and then pay registrar any renewals.
    (2) You pay your host (Wix) to do the requisite domain name redirection work.

There are ways around this, but require a lot more knowledge about web hosting/dynamic dns etc, and usually more cash. Honestly, just pay the money - if/when your business needs a website big enough to not need Wix then you can address better web hosting at that time.
    That's what I was looking for, cheers