closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: This week in 1970...

Blog Entries

This week in 1970...

... between 600,000 and 700,000 people attended the Isle of Wright Festival. They came for (among others):

• Jimi Hendrix (he died on Sept 18th that year)
    • Supertramp
    • Chicago
    • Procol Harum
    • Ten Years After
    • The Doors
    • Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    • The Who

What a line-up! What a crowd (and I was swept of my feet when I saw the 55,000 that came to see Rammstein two months ago).

Lots of footage of that festival on YT, but for me there's only one: See Me, Feel Me by The Who

Blog Entries
    I was -1.

I was +1 month.
    Cheers..
    Jase

That's a great lineup! Wish I had been there. Instead, I was in Minneapolis working as an accountant and taking night classes at the U. of Minnesota. Married 2-1/2 years and three years past Vietnam. I was lucky to see The Beatles and Bob Dylan concerts in 1965...missed Woodstock.

Craftsman
    My dad would have been 8!

But, I literally wore out the VHS of The Who’s (almost) complete set. At their zenith!

Also, PC, glad to see you’re still with us and posting. Keep fighting, mate.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    That's a great lineup! Wish I had been there. Instead, I was in Minneapolis working as an accountant and taking night classes at the U. of Minnesota. Married 2-1/2 years and three years past Vietnam. I was lucky to see The Beatles and Bob Dylan concerts in 1965...missed Woodstock.
    My wife was 6 months old when her parents took her to Woodstock. They drove all the way from Toronto in -according to my FiL- "A rust-brown Buick, a pig to start, especially during the Canadian winters!" My wife now boasts from time-to-time with "Yeah, I've seen Hendrix play!" And: "Keith Moon was better, I saw him!"

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    My wife was 6 months old when her parents took her to Woodstock. They drove all the way from Toronto in -according to my FiL- "A rust-brown Buick, a pig to start, especially during the Canadian winters!" My wife now boasts from time-to-time with "Yeah, I've seen Hendrix play!" And: "Keith Moon was better, I saw him!"
    Ha-ha!

My brother took me. I was too young to really appreciate the enormity of the event, but I remember being overawed by the crowd around me, it was probably partly to blame fo rmy not liking being in a crowd now. He also took me to see the Rolling Stones, in Torquay. The film The Doors was very influential to my future career, it gave me the courage to go for it!

I was 1.

The Who were at their peak concert wise at that point, touring with Tommy and playing it virtually in full at both Woodstock and the IOW in both 69 and 70. My first Who gig was Charlton in 1976 and was the only time I saw them with Keith Moon. I went on to see them 16 times in all across the years.

In 2002 I saw them three times in about 10 days, Portsmouth Guildhall and what was more like a picture house in Watford, both with about 1,500 crowds and after that The Albert Hall. Those were John Entwistle’s final UK gigs as he died shortly after before the start of a US tour.

Getting back to the IOW, I have watched film of the Hendrix performance and it’s not one of his best imo.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ... between 600,000 and 700,000 people attended the Isle of Wright Festival. They came for (among others):
    I would have loved to have been there - was 13...but I did get to see the Woodstock film that was released in the UK the same year; it had a lasting effect on my musical tastes.

I didn't see it unfortunately. I was in Iran or Aghanistan that month.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I would have loved to have been there - was 13...but I did get to see the Woodstock film that was released in the UK the same year; it had a lasting effect on my musical tastes.
    I also was 13

Craftsman
    I was there. It was outstandingly amazing! But it's definitely one of those 'what happened at IoW stays at IoW' adventures