closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First fire tonight

First fire tonight

Felt a bit chilly. Recording of Dr No. Pint of homebrew. Fire. That'll do.

Master
    Surly not - in the garden of England ?? I must be just down the road and I'm sitting here in shorts and a Tshirt, I've been in the garden all day

We have liftoff, Houston!

Craftsman

Egghead watch

Can anyone identify the watch worn by new egghead
    Steve. It looks like a panda of some description?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post

Felt a bit chilly. Recording of Dr No. Pint of homebrew. Fire. That'll do.
    I've got my parents visiting this weekend and they are both sat here freezing, the heating is on (first time) and mum has suggested that I light the fire, you got to love the old ones.

Master
    Its a bit chilly in the High Weald tonight so its time for first fire of the season. Strangely enough my Scottish wife insisted on it.

No central heating though.

Mine won't be far off. It was 3 degrees here this morning...

Sounds like a Quality nite in

????????? Are you serious?

When having to get up at quarter past six I would have appreciated finding a fire going in the living room

Blog Entries
    I think we may be joining you this evening lighting ours. Just spent the morning splitting this years final trunks up, as they say wood warms you up three times. Felling and hauling home, splitting and filling the log store and finally burning.

Pitch

Our winter supply of kiln dried logs was delivered yesterday. Won't be lighting ours until the chimney has been swept and safety inspected with a special camera next week. We have a thatched roof so can't take any chances.

Master
    Going to see if i can hold out until Nov before putting heating on....

She has just put ours on tonight its chilly up here.

She has just put ours on tonight its chilly up here.

last Xmas.

also got one of those fan things from Aldi that blows more heat out.

Bowie. Please promise me you have not got Crimbo decorations up yet!

Its okay, just seen your comment of last Christmas. Stand easy.....................

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Bowie. Please promise me you have not got Crimbo decorations up yet!

Its okay, just seen your comment of last Christmas. Stand easy.....................

HA HA no not yet but next door will be soon she is a bit mad

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post

also got one of those fan things from Aldi that blows more heat out.
    Haven't lit ours yet but a stirling engine fan is on the birthday list for this month...

Master
    I just gave in and put the heating on.

Underfloor (most of the downstairs) should be up to temp by Feb :)

We had -1 in August, so it went on then, and many times since

I will probably light the solid fuel Rayburn this weekend. I try to put it off as long as possible as, once it's lit, it goes for the whole Winter and I become a bit of a slave to it.

Mind you, it does provide the central heating, all the hot water and cooking facilities so it's a useful thing. Had it serviced in the Summer, so it should be spot on this Winter.

Hi Alpha
    Not that i have a Rayburn , but they always intrigue me do you a have a Wood version ? , i suppose they run like a Log burner but with better burn rates or as you say your a slave to it and getting up at 3am to load her up again !

Cheers

wayne

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    You must be saving for a Watch Tom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Still haven't swept the hearth from last nights burn, another soft ass here!

Ignoramus question for you pyrophiles, if I may:

My folks have recently moved into a new apartment which has a wood-burning thingy much like those pictured here, and I think my mum is itching to give it a shot. I was going to pick up a pack of heat logs from Tesco for her to try it out with, but I'm not sure whether the chimney should be swept or checked in some way before sparking it up for the first time. My mum's currently recovering from hip-replacement surgery, so she's spending all day indoors, and I think it'd really cheer her up to have the burner blazing away so I'd like to give it a go.

I'm pretty sure the previous owner used the thing last winter, so I guess it was OK then, so would it be alright just to crack on?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    +1

Still managed to hold off...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Hi Alpha
    Not that i have a Rayburn , but they always intrigue me do you a have a Wood version ? , i suppose they run like a Log burner but with better burn rates or as you say your a slave to it and getting up at 3am to load her up again !

Cheers

wayne
    Well, best way to think of it is akin to having your own steam engine (I even have an oily rag). The Rayburn will burn logs, but they don't last long enough for my liking, so we burn Anthracite on ours. When I have it regulated properly (vents just so, etc.) it will need to be made up every 6-8 hours, so not too bad.

It will easily stay in overnight, although I may need to 'get it going' again in the morning. This means raking through fire box without destroying all the glowing coals, emptying the ash-pan (every morning), opening a one or two vents and putting a big shovel full of Anthracite on. And of-course remembering to subsequently close it all down back to 'tick-over' or it starts to go a bit mad.

The Central Heating and Hot water systems are partially gravity fed systems, with a couple of expansion radiators always on. I also have a hot water pump which can be manually switched on, or automatically set, to pump hot water to all the radiators if it's extra cold. This is hardly ever used.

One other thing to consider is fuel storage. We also have an open fire in the lounge. On which we burn standard house coal, or logs if we have them. Therefore, I have two large bunkers out the back of the house (1 x Anthracite and 1 x House Coal) which need replenishing every so often. The Rayburn uses approximately 5 x 50Kg bags of Anthracite per month during the winter months. It's currently about £20 per bag - so £100 per month during the winter months. We don't have the Rayburn on all year as the house gets far to hot when the weather gets a bit warmer. So it's probably lit from Oct/Nov to March/April in a typical year.

Some other points:
    It really is good at warming the house through and is a great focal point in our kitchen (think Farmhouse-style kitchen).
    There is no danger of running out of hot water.
    It make the best toast ever!
    The top oven is great for roasting joints, although you have to plan in advance and start to get the oven temperature up a good couple of hours before cooking.
    The bottom oven is great for slow cooking. Put a casserole or Rice pudding in in the morning and it'll be ready for evening meal time.
    If there's a power cut in winter, I don't care . We can still cook, heat the house and have hot water and with a couple of LED USB lightbulbs we operate as normal (except for the TV).

You have to know what you're doing with these things, but I grew up with Agas and Rayburns so I'm a bit of an expert now.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Ignoramus question for you pyrophiles, if I may:

My folks have recently moved into a new apartment which has a wood-burning thingy much like those pictured here, and I think my mum is itching to give it a shot. I was going to pick up a pack of heat logs from Tesco for her to try it out with, but I'm not sure whether the chimney should be swept or checked in some way before sparking it up for the first time. My mum's currently recovering from hip-replacement surgery, so she's spending all day indoors, and I think it'd really cheer her up to have the burner blazing away so I'd like to give it a go.

I'm pretty sure the previous owner used the thing last winter, so I guess it was OK then, so would it be alright just to crack on?
    Definitely get the chimney swept or checked. Might as well get it swept then you know it's OK. Burning logs can coat the inside of the chimney with a tar like substance. Soot sticks to this and can either block the chimney, so you'll have smoke in the room, or set on fire, in which case it will be a fire brigade jobby.
    Ask me how I know this

I get my chimneys swept annually and ALWAYS get a certificate as the insurance company will want to see these in the event of a claim related to chimneys, etc. Make sure the Sweep you choose gives certificates.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Definitely get the chimney swept or checked. Might as well get it swept then you know it's OK. Burning logs can coat the inside of the chimney with a tar like substance. Soot sticks to this and can either block the chimney, so you'll have smoke in the room, or set on fire, in which case it will be a fire brigade jobby.
    Ask me how I know this

I get my chimneys swept annually and ALWAYS get a certificate as the insurance company will want to see these in the event of a claim related to chimneys, etc. Make sure the Sweep you choose gives certificates.
    Thanks a million - glad I asked!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Ask me how I know this

Yup.

Master
    Darn you Mrs Lewie made me light ours tonight

It's not November yet! Man up out a jumper on

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looking at getting a new fire. At the moment we have an old recessed gas fire. I'm thing of either getting one of these High Efficiency (Chimney) Gas Fires or reverting it back to an open fire.

I take it if going open fire route you have to get the chimney swept and get certification every year as above?

Craftsman
    Had ours on all day yesterday while working at home.

Usually wait until it's 10degrees outside but was cold enough to put heating and wood is stocked up so why not!
    Last edited by wombleh; 7th October 2016 at 07:18.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Looking at getting a new fire. At the moment we have an old recessed gas fire. I'm thing of either getting one of these High Efficiency (Chimney) Gas Fires or reverting it back to an open fire.

I take it if going open fire route you have to get the chimney swept and get certification every year as above?

Hi Sprite
    Well you dont "have to" have the chimney swept every year but for piece of mind and in case of an Fire / insurance claim involing the chimney it would be a wise idea,
    we are just having our open Fire converted to a Log Burner and the guy swept and did a Smoke test before putting the new Flue liner up, and it is suprising how much Wood / Coal deposits come down while it is being swept. Most of the Sweeps i have had charge £40/£50 for a sweep and you get the certificate at the finish , make sure they area member of the Institute of Chimney Sweeps (just as extra back up)

Cheers

Wayne

Blog Entries
    Hi Sprite
    Well you dont "have to" have the chimney swept every year but for piece of mind and in case of an Fire / insurance claim involing the chimney it would be a wise idea,
    we are just having our open Fire converted to a Log Burner and the guy swept and did a Smoke test before putting the new Flue liner up, and it is suprising how much Wood / Coal deposits come down while it is being swept. Most of the Sweeps i have had charge £40/£50 for a sweep and you get the certificate at the finish , make sure they area member of the Institute of Chimney Sweeps (just as extra back up)

Cheers

Wayne
    Agree for £40/45.00 well worth it ours is booked for next week and gave in last night

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Sprite

Cheers

Wayne
    What is your open fire like? do you get a lot of smell and mess with them? Also why do you need flues with log burners and not open fires?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    What is your open fire like? do you get a lot of smell and mess with them? Also why do you need flues with log burners and not open fires?
    Hi Sprite
    I really liked my open fire, but all the heat goes straight up the chimney so you get no benefit from it heat wise , if you are not bothered about that i think they are great and lovely to watch, i burnt Wood and Coal on mine and apart from IMO a nice (not to strong) burning Wood/Coal smell !
    i never found them messy just clean the grate every couple of days, use tongs when putting Coal on and it shouldnt get to messy ( put a fire guard in front though to stop any stray embers getting onto your carpet etc...)
    The flue liner is needed on a Log burner as the heat is so more intense it needs to be lined so the heat can escape quicker and not burn the Chimney . i am sure someone can put that better !

If you want an open fire just for looks stay with it ,if it is needed to heat the room go for a Gas or Log burner option

Cheers

Wayne

I had to have a liner (flexible metal flue) fitted inside the chimney as the integrity of the mortar joints within the chimney couldn't be guaranteed. When the chimney sweep first tested my open fire with a smoke pellet, smoke started coming out of my neighbours chimney . There wasn't a choice, I had to get a burner, and I had to get the liner.

Craftsman

Yep got mine going this morning. Saving a fortune on fuel..

Master
    Hi Sprite
    The flue liner is needed on a Log burner as the heat is so more intense it needs to be lined so the heat can escape quicker and not burn the Chimney . i am sure someone can put that better !

Cheers

Wayne
    I always thought it was the other way round, Stoves produced less head through the Chimney hence the build up of Creosote?

Could you well be right Matt, i copied this off the net anyway

Ideally every stove installation within a chimney should use a lining to get the best out of your stove and your chimney. A lining can improve the draw of your chimney, reduce condensation in the flue system and reduce the risk of chimney fires.
    Due to the efficiency of stove and uses of secondary combustion much of the energy from your fuel is used to heat the stove and surrounding air. This causes the heat of the extracted gases to be generally cooler than that of a normal open fireplace. Cooler gases can result in tar deposits if in contact with condensation with the flue system. A build up of tar can increase the risk of a chimney far as it sticks to the sides of the chimney.
    Lining the chimney insulates the flue system reducing the condensation present reducing tar deposits.

Open fires can heat the room too, just less efficiently than a log burner.

Generally little smell/mess but you have to make sure they burn out properly at the end of the night or you can get a smouldering smell in the morning.

I find the biggest benefit of the log burner is that it needs a lot less attention to keep it burning well so is easier in the day when you're not just sitting watching it.

I folded last night to the pressure and put the fire on last night.

Very nice it was to.

Central heating is still not on
    Last edited by Andyg; 7th October 2016 at 12:32.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Think I'll opt for a HE chimney gas fire or electric. According to this table http://www.cvo.co.uk/pages/efficiency.htm the HE has fire seems to have good heat output.

Mine has been on for the last 8-10 days.....only at night , but still on every night.

My only excuses are ;

Live in Scotland
    No central heating on
    Our windows are stone , with metal frames
    No curtains or blinds
    Big rooms

Can be chilly !!!

Had our one on a few times this week. We had it installed last year and one of our best purchases. I have access to logs from a tree surgeon so have about three years worth of free fuel. Just have to collect it, cut, split and stack!!

^
    ^
    Haha! 'Makes a good fireguard' as my Mom says.

Craftsman
    Lit our log burner tonight for the first time. Sign that winter's coming. Love a night in front of the fire, but damn it makes me sleepy!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On all the time now......................

Fair old inglenook you have there Lucky ! looks lovely do you have a flue liner in that Chimney ?

Cheers

Wayne