closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-22 Ivory running fast

PRS-22 Ivory running fast

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a used PRS-22 with ivory dial. It appears to be in extremely good condition, but it runs fast. When I say fast I mean nearly a minute in 24 hours. Now I suspect the only option is to send it away to be serviced, and as it's a 2009 watch it probably needs a service anyway. However I have read stories of watches becoming magnetised and running very fast as a result. With the particular anti-magnetic properties of the PRS-22 design, is that even possible, or am I just clutching at straws hoping for a cheap solution?! :-)

Ian

Over the years a few watches I've bought have had timing issues.Waiting for a few days for the movement to settle down after transit might see a resolution.Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Over the years a few watches I've bought have had timing issues.Waiting for a few days for the movement to settle down after transit might see a resolution.Fingers crossed.
    I hadn't thought about the possible disruption caused by the journey. Thanks.

I've had a couple recently whose timing was off on receipt, but both have seemed to settle down nicely
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I've had a couple recently whose timing was off on receipt, but both have seemed to settle down nicely
    That sounds encouraging, thanks. I'll check it again in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    That sounds encouraging, thanks. I'll check it again in a few days.
    Hope it's OK,let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Hope it's OK,let us know how you get on.
    I will do, thanks.

I set it right at 10:00 today and six hours later it was 28 seconds fast, which is worse than I thought, but I'll give it a few days to settle before deciding what do next.

It's rated at 80,000 am so I would doubt its been magnetised probably just needs running for a few days if that doesn't work looks like a service unfortunately I also have an Ivory SBIII which was running a little fast and I regulated it to within acceptable limits.
    I hope it settles down for you!

Blog Entries
    Although an anti-magnetic watch should not be magnetised, it is still possible that one part of the hair spring has got stuck to another, thus effectively shortening it. Taking the watch in one hand and smacking it fairly hard into the palm of your other hand (enough to make a thwack/thud noise) might help the hair spring become unstuck.

Unorthodox though this sounds, it does work and it is unlikely to damage the watch. I have personally seen it work on watches where the hair spring got stuck to itself after going through the post.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Although an anti-magnetic watch should not be magnetised, it is still possible that one part of the hair spring has got stuck to another, thus effectively shortening it. Taking the watch in one hand and smacking it fairly hard into the palm of your other hand (enough to make a thwack/thud noise) might help the hair spring become unstuck.

Unorthodox though this sounds, it does work and it is unlikely to damage the watch. I have personally seen it work on watches where the hair spring got stuck to itself after going through the post.
    OK Mark, I'll try that (as it's still gaining well over a minute and a half a day). If bits fall off I'll send you the photos .......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    OK Mark, I'll try that (as it's still gaining well over a minute and a half a day). If bits fall off I'll send you the photos .......
    Good luck. :-)

Well it was worth a try Mark, but still no improvement I'm afraid. It looks like I'll have to ask Duncan (cannop) to take a look as it's still about 90 seconds a day fast. Pity as it looked like it was in great condition.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear it didn't help. I'm sure Duncan will be able to help.

Journeyman
    Duncan has done great work for me.

I am sure he can sort it for you.