closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Any Offshore Professional Engineer Chronograph owners amongst the ranks?

Journeyman
    Revisiting this thread has got me wanting a teju strap for no.83 now.... hmm, wonder if John will look at his emails this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post
    Revisiting this thread has got me wanting a teju strap for no.83 now.... hmm, wonder if John will look at his emails this time!
    I'm thinking of upgrading to Teju in the New Year, after the Hirsch fell apart within a week... Would love to see some pics and feedback if you get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post
    I was talking to John on Friday of last week and he mentioned he was a little snowed under at the moment, so it might be worthwhile trying him again once the christmas rush is over. Persistence is always best if he doesn't reply!

I've got a deal with him that he'll make a standard or custom strap (any strap from his range of colours, leathers etc) for Field Engineer owners within 1 month of ordering instead of his current, quite a bit longer, waiting time.

Edit: for anyone who thinks the FE is a bit too cheap, there are solid 18ct gold full and partial (bezel, buttons and backplate) options now available.
    Last edited by LorneG; 7th December 2018 at 16:42.

Solid gold you say? Please don’t share any photos to tempt me because I definitely can’t afford that upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Better show us some pics Lorne, I think I can resist but I would like to be sure

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Better show us some pics Lorne, I think I can resist but I would like to be sure
    In accordance with the Marine Chronometer Co standard operating procedure (not annoying my wife), I need someone order one before I can make it. I think the partial gold (bezel, buttons, backplate) will be phenomenal though as the colour balance will be just right with the silver dial. It'll have just under an oz and a half of gold. Full case option is just over 3 oz's and really needs me to make a black and gold dial and gold edged hands to go with it.

Maybe you can post some pics of the bezel to tease us then? What is the cost for gold bezel and pushers?

C'mon Lorne no teasing!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Maybe you can post some pics of the bezel to tease us then? What is the cost for gold bezel and pushers?

C'mon Lorne no teasing!
    I don't have any pics, honest, just a company I've been talking with and been to visit that will do it to the required standard and at a reasonable cost (which was darned hard to find). Bezel and pushers in 18ct gold as an upgrade would be about 2.5k, as a new watch about 4.5k. Full gold case with gold and black dial and gold deployment clasp about £8k.

Edit: if anyone is a whizz with photoshop they could do some recolouring on a standard FE and we'd all be able to see what it looks like.

Thanks, Lorne, thats a chunk of extra but not unexpected. Hopefully, someone on TZ will take the plunge soon enough and we can see the PO sporting some bling! For now, I will stick with Plan A

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Edit: if anyone is a whizz with photoshop they could do some recolouring on a standard FE and we'd all be able to see what it looks like.
    Queue the Spandau Ballet one liner.... and... "GOLD.....!"

(The gold is perhaps a bit washed out/subtle.. but I thought it better to go in easy....)
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 8th December 2018 at 19:07.

Apprentice

Cool

I'll stick with the original..#148 ordered for Jan..

Any Offshore Professional Engineer Chronograph owners amongst the ranks?

I am not convinced by the two tone look. Full gold would look amazing but is about £8k over my budget

After my Hirsch strap disintegrated on the third wear (kindly refunded by WatchObsession as its discontinued) I switched to the bracelet.

It's a little fiddly to get on but no worse than any other watch with solid end links. my Christopher Ward C7 Rapide gave me more trouble. Lorne kindly sent it pre-sized but I'm fussy about clasp placement to switched sides of one link to get it just so.

Removing links is fiddly but feasible with two decent 1mm screwdrivers and a steady hand. The screw system is superb, no locked threads, it feels secure and is far less of a faff than the pin and collar system used by TAG Heuer and Omega.

My one criticism of the bracelet is the lack of adjustment. It's a similar bracelet to the TAG Heuer Carrera with no micro adjustment. Every link is a half link so its better than some bracelets but still impossible to get a perfect fit. What I would like to see is either a standard pin microadjust with five holes (so you never get caught ”between links” or, using Lorne’s engineering expertise, something similar to either the Rolex Glide Lock or the sprung system used on the Tudor Pelagos.

Having said all that... It looks amazing and the five link engineer bracelet looks stunning when it catches the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Richmondmike; 9th December 2018 at 11:26.