closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 262

Thread: Any Offshore Professional Engineer Chronograph owners amongst the ranks?

  1. #201
    Master JohnnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Thanks. I do love the look of it in photos and have followed it for a good while but I have small wrists and I would love to see how it works for me.
    One thing I've noticed... if you have smaller wrists, the bracelet is absolutely brilliant. I'll take some pics to explain - but the links are so supple that they sit in tight against your wrist. There is no gap for me with a 7" wrist and the bracelet sits as well as it does on my SMP which is a couple of mm smaller. Photos will help here and I'll take some as soon as I can to demonstrate.

  2. #202
    Master JohnnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,649
    Some nasty quality phone pics at this late hour in terrible light!!.... but you'll get my point. Look how well this sits on my wrist. ZERO gap.



    The reason is that the links are so (looking for the right words here!) slinky.. ie. they move so easily..



    Note above how the 1st link actually sits in tighter than the end links. Reducing the gap when worn.



    The bracelet sits on my wrist as if its a 41-42mm watch, not 44.

  3. #203
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Some nasty quality phone pics at this late hour in terrible light!!.... but you'll get my point. Look how well this sits on my wrist. ZERO gap.



    The reason is that the links are so (looking for the right words here!) slinky.. ie. they move so easily..



    Note above how the 1st link actually sits in tighter than the end links. Reducing the gap when worn.



    The bracelet sits on my wrist as if its a 41-42mm watch, not 44.
    Great shots showing what I thought would be the case with the stunning bracelet. Thanks for sharing


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  4. #204
    Master JohnnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,649
    As said above though... get different spring bars if you want to fit this at home. I had a set of 22mm bars that came with a 22m NATO from watch gecko (I think!). They fitted in like a dream. Lorne's supplied ones no doubt carry more purchase/tension but I just couldn't get them in at home, even using proper springbar pliers.

    As for the bracelet.... absolutely fantastic.

  5. #205
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    603
    Thanks @JohnnyE, that is really helpful. I always wear watches on a bracelet as straps rarely work on my wrists.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #206
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Are Hirsch replacing that model (leonardo?). Don't seem to be many waterproof curved end straps around.
    When they told me they were ceasing current curved end production they did promise they would introduce a revised range. Haven't seen anything from them though, so not so sure

  7. #207
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Oxon
    Posts
    492
    I have smaller wrists at 6.75 but looks a bit smaller on me!


  8. #208
    Master JohnnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    I have smaller wrists at 6.75 but looks a bit smaller on me!

    Mobile phone photos have a habit of making my watches look bigger than they are. Your pic is more like reality to me.

  9. #209
    Master huytonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    2,290
    I picked up number 150 directly from Lorne yesterday - the watch was made available much faster than initially anticipated (I would guess less than three weeks) which was a pleasant surprise and mine is also on the bracelet and echoing what has been said in the previous posts it is very comfortable and offers plenty of adjustment via the easily removable links. I'm not sure if this is obvious or already mentioned but Lorne is now offering a four year warranty on the watch together with his other unique lifetime cover and trade in option. I always check any new mechanical watch on my timegrapher and this was no exception. The watch is showing 0 sec gain or loss in three out of four positions and +2 sec with the crown down - Darius has done a stellar job on regulating the movement and it will be interesting to see how it changes with time but for now its as good as anything that I've owned. If he is amenable and you can make the journey I would highly recommend a visit to Lorne for a face to face; lots of interesting things to talk about, not just watches but that could consume a few hours alone!
    Keith

  10. #210
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    I picked up number 150 directly from Lorne yesterday - the watch was made available much faster than initially anticipated (I would guess less than three weeks) which was a pleasant surprise and mine is also on the bracelet and echoing what has been said in the previous posts it is very comfortable and offers plenty of adjustment via the easily removable links. I'm not sure if this is obvious or already mentioned but Lorne is now offering a four year warranty on the watch together with his other unique lifetime cover and trade in option. I always check any new mechanical watch on my timegrapher and this was no exception. The watch is showing 0 sec gain or loss in three out of four positions and +2 sec with the crown down - Darius has done a stellar job on regulating the movement and it will be interesting to see how it changes with time but for now its as good as anything that I've owned. If he is amenable and you can make the journey I would highly recommend a visit to Lorne for a face to face; lots of interesting things to talk about, not just watches but that could consume a few hours alone!
    Keith
    Hi Keith, pleased you like 150 and you've upped the anti now for Darius to get the same tuning on all future builds! Thanks for the nice words and it was equally good to meet and chat with yourself over a cappuccino, particularly when you mentioned those two magic phases; 'BMW M5 and Porsche'. You've reminded me to update the website to clarify it's now 4 years on the 'break or damage it in any way and it'll be repaired for free' warranty. Surprisingly other than a couple of repairs during early production that were definitely due to things I hadn't got right in the case design (all corrected a long time ago), the only repairs have been due to the occasional fault in an ETA movement. Even ETA with their superb quality control can make an error.

  11. #211
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    1,862
    I'm on 4 years with 135 too,
    As for timing mines been on the wrist for 48 hours, lost 1 second against the iPhone in 48hours. But is that the watch? Or the phone? Lol
    Either which way they're stunning watches IMG_6098.JPG


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  12. #212
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I'm on 4 years with 135 too,
    As for timing mines been on the wrist for 48 hours, lost 1 second against the iPhone in 48hours. But is that the watch? Or the phone? Lol
    Either which way they're stunning watches IMG_6098.JPG


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    See jimp, he might be able to sell you a camera Mick.
    Last edited by reggie747; 30th July 2018 at 19:29.

  13. #213
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    See jimp, he might be able to sell you a camera sale Mick.
    I have a real good Nikon DSLR hardly use it. This was on a crappy iPhone 5 at 22:30 hrs in street lights no flash.



    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  14. #214
    Master huytonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    2,290

    update on my OP

    I posted on receipt of my Offshore Professional which arrived at the end of July and thought an update may be worthwhile.

    The watch has probably been worn than either other in my collection, its comfortable to wear and feels good on the wrist. During that time I havent picked up any scratches which is a bit surprising given that the case is “standard” 316L stainless steel, maybe I have just been lucky. The same applies to the bracelet too, that hasnt picked up any marks of note.

    Timekeeping was great on arrival than as I wore it it started to drift off, Lorne offered to have it regulated by Darius but I decided to give the movement a bit longer to settle and now its pretty much around 0 to +1 sec/day, so no complaints from me.

    The chronograph is handy, I use it mainly when making espresso coffee...probably not a use envisaged by the Valjoux designer!

    I did manage to track down a suitable curved end Hirsch strap, they no longer make them, but the bracelet is so comfortable I may not use it, we shall see.

    Every time I wear the watch I notice another piece of detail that makes me appreciate how much thought has gone into its design.

    Guess what? I havent seen another one of these in the wild, apart from Lorne and Darius and they dont count, so rarity is guranteed.

    The only downside is the size, its a big chunk of engineering, not a problem for casual use but for business trips when Im wearing a jacket its not the right choice then it makes way for something like my GMT or Oysterquartz.

    If you have been thinking about getting one of these but havent acted on the thought, I would say get off the fence and buy one, the watch offers tremendous value for the money and comes from a company that cares about you and their product, nice work Lorne.

    Keith
    Last edited by huytonman; 11th November 2018 at 15:21.

  15. #215
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    I posted on receipt of my Offshore Professional which arrived at the end of July and thought an update may be worthwhile.

    The watch has probably been worn than either other in my collection, its comfortable to wear and feels good on the wrist. During that time I havent picked up any scratches which is a bit surprising given that the case is ďstandardĒ 316L stainless steel, maybe I have just been lucky. The same applies to the bracelet too, that hasnt picked up any marks of note.

    Timekeeping was great on arrival than as I wore it it started to drift off, Lorne offered to have it regulated by Darius but I decided to give the movement a bit longer to settle and now its pretty much around 0 to +1 sec/day, so no complaints from me.

    The chronograph is handy, I use it mainly when making espresso coffee...probably not a use envisaged by the Valjoux designer!

    I did manage to track down a suitable curved end Hirsch strap, they no longer make them, but the bracelet is so comfortable I may not use it, we shall see.

    Every time I wear the watch I notice another piece of detail that makes me appreciate how much thought has gone into its design.

    Guess what? I havent seen another one of these in the wild, apart from Lorne and Darius and they dont count, so rarity is guranteed.

    The only downside is the size, its a big chunk of engineering, not a problem for casual use but for business trips when Im wearing a jacket its not the right choice then it makes way for something like my GMT or Oysterquartz.

    If you have been thinking about getting one of these but havent acted on the thought, I would say get off the fence and buy one, the watch offers tremendous value for the money and comes from a company that cares about you and their product, nice work Lorne.

    Keith
    Keith
    I thought the same about mine, I wear it everyday and itís not picked up any marks, itís been knocked, banged and slept in! Iíve got the curved end Dangerous 9 Teju strap fitted, so itís worn on that, very comfortable, but not waterproof. I canít take it off to try the bracelet unless I destroy the teju strap.
    So it stays on the strap.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #216
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    See jimp, he might be able to sell you a camera Mick.
    Hereís one, iPhone still but via Tapatalk app.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #217
    Master huytonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    2,290
    [QUOTE=Yorkshiremadmick;4936770]Keith
    I thought the same about mine, I wear it everyday and itís not picked up any marks, itís been knocked, banged and slept in! Iíve got the curved end Dangerous 9 Teju strap fitted, so itís worn on that, very comfortable, but not waterproof. I canít take it off to try the bracelet unless I destroy the teju strap.
    So it stays on the strap.

    Knowing the price of the Dangerous Nine straps Mick I can well understand not wanting to destroy it, in any case it looks great on it.
    Keith

  18. #218
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    1,058
    I have been mulling over one of Lorne's creations for a while now, probably since I first spotted this thread. While I wear my watches on bracelets mostly, I like the option of a strap. Lorne has the option of bracelet only, or bracelet + strap, but from reading various threads it seems like the tolerances are so fine that changing from one to the other is extremely difficult. Has that proved to be the case in most peoples experience?

    Its difficult to imagine just how the OP looks in person, and I am unlikely to be able to see one before taking the plunge, so taking it seems like the only option.

    Cheers

  19. #219
    Master JohnnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Lorne has the option of bracelet only, or bracelet + strap, but from reading various threads it seems like the tolerances are so fine that changing from one to the other is extremely difficult. Has that proved to be the case in most peoples experience?
    Well, mine came on the strap (Hirsch). Getting that off was easy - with a Bergeon small tipped springbar tool. Getting the springbars back in for fitting the bracelet was NOT easy - because the bars Lorne uses are specified in such a way that they exhert the max pressure and tight tolerance possible into those lugs. I even bought a set of springbar tweezers (chinese clone of those expensive Bergeon ones) and failed.

    On switching to a set of 22mm springbars that came with a Watchgecko NATO I had in the drawer.... everything clicked into place with absolute ease - so if you were to try a DIY change, that's what I'd recommend. The watchgecko springbars were a good 1mm shorter when on the table top.

    I'm now wearing the watch on one of the Dangerous9 Teju straps and I'm not sure I'd want to get stuck into THAT one with my Bergeon. The strap is a thing of beauty... and I'd be gutted it I put a nick or mark into the back of it.

    Hope that helps... and I've PM'd you with a suggestion re trying one of these on...

  20. #220
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    I love tight manufacturing tolerances! Hate sloppy tolerances that lead to, 'it might wiggle around a lot or it might not fit'.

    The Teju strap does come off, but I recommend a proper jeweller or Darius down at The Watch Gallery in Ealing does it. As noted, the last thing you want to do is damage the dangerous9 strap as they're damned expensive.

    My own Field Engineer is always available to be posted to anyone in the UK who wants to get a feel for how it wears on their wrist and what it looks like in real life. The last chap I posted it to was Mike at Wrist Watch Review UK (https://wristwatchreview.co.uk/marin...nograph-review). He made the following comment at the end of his review;

    "the day I strapped the Offshore Professional Field Engineer to my wrist for the first time I started a savings account to buy one for myself."

    And amazingly for someone who must get given quite a few watches for free (not the sort of thing I can do though), he's ordered one.

    Edit: 1.8 mm diameter spring bars if you're changing strap or bracelet yourself and not the standard 1.5 mm ones.
    Last edited by LorneG; 15th November 2018 at 16:18.

  21. #221
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,407
    Hello from number 067 which I decided to wear today for the first time in ages. Mine is on the original black leather strap and deployment. Great piece of engineering kit.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #222
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    30
    Looks amazing... i love the uniqueness and the details...looks like one for the new year...

  23. #223
    Master JohnnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,649
    Any excuse for a macro...... this one taken last, well.. Friday!


  24. #224
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,407
    Argh you've got the flash modern minimalistic dial....mines almost 5 years old now but still looks and goes like new.
    Nice shot !

  25. #225
    Journeyman Richmondmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hull, UK
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    My own Field Engineer is always available to be posted to anyone in the UK who wants to get a feel for how it wears on their wrist and what it looks like in real life. The last chap I posted it to was Mike at Wrist Watch Review UK (https://wristwatchreview.co.uk/marin...nograph-review). He made the following comment at the end of his review;

    "the day I strapped the Offshore Professional Field Engineer to my wrist for the first time I started a savings account to buy one for myself."

    And amazingly for someone who must get given quite a few watches for free (not the sort of thing I can do though), he's ordered one.
    .
    That's me, and yes, I have indeed ordered one of Lorne's watches and paid for it with my own hard earned cash - the watch really is that good. (I most certainly dont' get anywhere near as many free watches as you might think, though - and if I do it's so I can give them away in competitions :) )

    I was going to just have the bracelet, but was nervous it might make the watch so unbalanced that I fell out of love with it, so I've sourced the same type of Hirsch strap as the tester watch (but in a lighter, golden-brown colour) and will use that until it falls apart. Then probabl end up travelling 350 miles to Ealing to get it to fit on the watch :D

    I chose the Field Engineer over a TAG Heuer Carrera, which is the only other valjoux-powered Chronograph that really turns my head. I prefer the unique look and engineering prowess behind the Field Engineer far more than any mass-produced watch, and I doubt I will find anything to touch it at anywhere near the asking price.

  26. #226
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    1,058
    Thanks for the comments, great to see the passion.

    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    I love tight manufacturing tolerances! Hate sloppy tolerances that lead to, 'it might wiggle around a lot or it might not fit'.

    The Teju strap does come off, but I recommend a proper jeweller or Darius down at The Watch Gallery in Ealing does it. As noted, the last thing you want to do is damage the dangerous9 strap as they're damned expensive.
    Me too, but as a bracelet wearer, the strap would only be fitted for short periods before the bracelet returned. I don't think I trust myself to make the switch and Ealing is a long way from Llandudno. Maybe I need to buy a proper spring bar tool to make it doable.

    Do you have any changes to the OP planned Lorne? I think its spot on as is so asking out of curiosity :)

  27. #227
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Thanks for the comments, great to see the passion.



    Me too, but as a bracelet wearer, the strap would only be fitted for short periods before the bracelet returned. I don't think I trust myself to make the switch and Ealing is a long way from Llandudno. Maybe I need to buy a proper spring bar tool to make it doable.

    Do you have any changes to the OP planned Lorne? I think its spot on as is so asking out of curiosity :)
    I agree with you in that I think is just about perfect at the moment. Mind you, a recent comment from someone that borrowed mine for a week was that the lume dulls a bit too quickly. The hands have solid superluminova wafers in them that shine down as well as up, but I might have to change to thicker blocks. Got quite a few hands in stock though, so any change will be in a couple of years time. The hands, incidentally, are made by a superb group of old chaps in India using an equally old swiss diamond cutting machine. They're the only people I could find that consistently get the tube tolerance needed to ensure a really tight fit onto the movement spindles, and would tolerate my annoying insistence on a particular alloy. Another comment from someone was they'd like it with a solid gold bezel, buttons and crown. This strikes me as being a good way of blending a black dial into the watch as currently the black dial prototypes have all looked a bit naff. Again, probably a couple of years until I get it right (can't afford too many mistakes with solid gold!). Final thing would be to swop from floating to screw down crown, simply because people perceive screw down to be better. I use a floating design for shock and dust resistance, but might be able to get a screw down to be just as good if I copy and modify the vostok watch crowns.

    On the drawing board at the moment is the next model. A GMT Zulu called the Navigator. Currently sketching the modifications to the movement I'm planning on using to incorporate a couple of things I'm quite keen on, like a start/stop/reset on the seconds hand to allow easy synchronization with radio 4 bips. About 3 years away from production on that as again playing with movements ends up being quite expensive.

    Overall plan is to slowly build a company that has a rock solid reputation for building decent, unique and nice mechanical watches, and always treating customers with the utmost respect.

    Quite happy to post my Field Engineer to Llandudno if you want to try it.

    Edit: deleted the sub-dial numbering when I moved from O-series to OO as it was too small for me to read - consequence of getting older I think!
    Last edited by LorneG; 16th November 2018 at 08:52.

  28. #228
    Master JohnnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Quite happy to post my Field Engineer to Llandudno if you want to try it.
    By the powers of TZ... we are already one step ahead of you Lorne... #130 is in the air, on its way from NI to Wales. These watches were built to travel, it would have been rude not to
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 16th November 2018 at 13:23.

  29. #229
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    By the powers of TZ... we are already one step ahead of you Lorne... #130 is in the air, on its way from NI to Wales. These watches were built to travel, it would have been rude not to
    Given that only one Field Engineer lives in NI (plus the serial number clue), that would be JohnnyE's; very nice of him! Full OO-spec, 775M2 and Teju strap, rather than mine which is somewhere in between everything, has a bit of 'patina' and is running 8 seconds a day out - strapping to the dash of a Super Puma helicopter is not recommended.

  30. #230
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    By the powers of TZ... we are already one step ahead of you Lorne... #130 is in the air, on its way from NI to Wales. These watches were built to travel, it would have been rude not to
    The watch arrived safe and sound this morning Johnny, I have sent you an email letting you know. You are an asset to this great forum trusting someone whom you have never met to such a valuable watch. Thank you for your generosity

    Well, what can I say about the OP that hasn't already been said in this thread by others more articulately than I am capable of. It is simply a superb peice of engineering that has been executed to perfection. It is everything I hoped it could be and more. The knurling I was unsure of just works, and is not as prominent as pics may suggest. The flat sub pushers look and feel great and the 'plates' on the dial add to its appeal without being obtrusive. Johnnys watch is ftted with a Teju strap the likes of which I have never seen before, I did not know straps could be this good.nd while the strap is good, the bracelet is better still, and would my preferred choice for 99% of use (well maybe 100% since I am probably too unskilled to change it). It looks to be superbly made and takes the watch to te next level for me.

    The weather is threatening to be nice today so I will attemp to get some pics of the OP with my other Val7750 Chronos later to show the size and build quality.

    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    I agree with you in that I think is just about perfect at the moment. Mind you, a recent comment from someone that borrowed mine for a week was that the lume dulls a bit too quickly. The hands have solid superluminova wafers in them that shine down as well as up, but I might have to change to thicker blocks. Got quite a few hands in stock though, so any change will be in a couple of years time. The hands, incidentally, are made by a superb group of old chaps in India using an equally old swiss diamond cutting machine. They're the only people I could find that consistently get the tube tolerance needed to ensure a really tight fit onto the movement spindles, and would tolerate my annoying insistence on a particular alloy. Another comment from someone was they'd like it with a solid gold bezel, buttons and crown. This strikes me as being a good way of blending a black dial into the watch as currently the black dial prototypes have all looked a bit naff. Again, probably a couple of years until I get it right (can't afford too many mistakes with solid gold!). Final thing would be to swop from floating to screw down crown, simply because people perceive screw down to be better. I use a floating design for shock and dust resistance, but might be able to get a screw down to be just as good if I copy and modify the vostok watch crowns.

    On the drawing board at the moment is the next model. A GMT Zulu called the Navigator. Currently sketching the modifications to the movement I'm planning on using to incorporate a couple of things I'm quite keen on, like a start/stop/reset on the seconds hand to allow easy synchronization with radio 4 bips. About 3 years away from production on that as again playing with movements ends up being quite expensive.

    Overall plan is to slowly build a company that has a rock solid reputation for building decent, unique and nice mechanical watches, and always treating customers with the utmost respect.

    Quite happy to post my Field Engineer to Llandudno if you want to try it.

    Edit: deleted the sub-dial numbering when I moved from O-series to OO as it was too small for me to read - consequence of getting older I think!
    Interesting post thanks Lorne, now having seen the OP I am completely won over. The design is fully resolved, I do not know what you could possibly change for the better. As above, Johnny beat you to sending a loaner but appreciate the offer. More people need to see your creation in the flesh, you are wasted messing around on rigs

    Cheers,
    Simon

  31. #231
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    .... you are wasted messing around on rigs

    Cheers,
    Simon
    Really appreciate the nice things you said about the Field Engineer. Also JohnnyE for lending you his. Always loved subsea engineering, not just the travel, but the challenge of designing and building something that has to operate faultlessly for 40 years in a hostile environment. Don't just mess around on rigs; www.neuconnect.eu is something I started with a couple of chaps and some silly pics plus free book download at www.lornegifford.webs.com.

  32. #232
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    1,058
    Impressive stuff Lorne, I was only messing around. Earlier in my career, I too messed around on rigs, these days I am mostly desk-bound.

    24hrs with the OP and I am so impressed. The watch has excellent wrist presence and great legibility. It compares favourably against anything in my watch box. Thise who own one know, and those who dont should give the OP serious consideration if they are in the market for a superb chrono Below are some pics showing the watch against some of my other watches for size, it holds its own and makes me wonder whether I will keep most of them!

    IMG_20181117_143017 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    IMG_20181117_142830 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    I really love the strong, bold lug design

    IMG_20181117_165037 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    IMG_20181117_142820 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    A poor attempt at a bracelet photo, this would defintley be my preferred way to wear the OP. Its a class bit of enginering

    IMG_20181117_165010 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    IMG_20181117_143241 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    Thats a good looking Val!

  33. #233
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    1,058
    Some poor comparo pics. The Tudor and IWC are outclassed.

    IMG_20181117_161842 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    As my eyes age I really liked the legibility of the 3717 but the OP is its equal. For reference the 3717 is 42mm

    IMG_20181117_162143 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    The Chronoswiss is one of my favourite Val 7750 based watches, two watches with the same heart going about their thing in a totally different style that look great together

    IMG_20181117_162425 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    Both are 44mm.

    IMG_20181117_144913 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    The BB was my first proper watch, I had a white dialled version and bought the silver dialled version thinking it would be near enough. It isn't.

    IMG_20181117_161410 (Medium) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

    44 vs 36mm.

  34. #234
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Oxon
    Posts
    492
    I thought the teju straps were waterproof?

    Still loving mine, been worn for the last week or so. I've managed a minor scrape on the bezel but hardly visible, no other damage despite wearing it for all sorts. Only downside for me is the lume, but that's minor. This one will be with me a long time.

  35. #235
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    1,058
    I've no idea if they are waterproof but they sure look to be bulletproof! I have never seen such a heavily made strap, exceptional quality and comfortable to wear, the straps thickness fits with the OP's size and balances it out nicely. It is a very strong strap though hence I had to take the pics above with the watch laying on its side.

  36. #236
    Master JohnnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,649
    Some great shots there Simon - as you say, the OP holds its head up amongst good company! It has presented me with similar thoughts as to the rest of my collection. To echo your comments regarding the strap, it is an astonishing piece of work. I've been following John on Instagram since hearing via Lorne of him. Some of his vintage brown straps are just gorgeous....

    This video of him at work is brilliant:


  37. #237
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    1,058
    Order placed with Lorne yesterday for #151., it should make for a great 20th wedding anniversary present.

    I went for a bracelet and strap with contrast stitching. Thanks to Johnny again for the loan of his OP, and to Lorne for creating such an exceptional watch at a very fair price.

    Will have a look at the video later but i agree with everything you have said about the strap John, it is an exceptional piece of work. It is much more than any strap I have ever owned.

  38. #238
    Journeyman Richmondmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hull, UK
    Posts
    143
    Just had confirmation from Lorne that number 144 (a Fibonacci number!), my late 40th birthday present, will be with me next week!

  39. #239
    Master JohnnyE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Order placed with Lorne yesterday for #151., it should make for a great 20th wedding anniversary present.

    I went for a bracelet and strap with contrast stitching. Thanks to Johnny again for the loan of his OP, and to Lorne for creating such an exceptional watch at a very fair price.

    Will have a look at the video later but i agree with everything you have said about the strap John, it is an exceptional piece of work. It is much more than any strap I have ever owned.
    Look forward to seeing your strap with the contrast stitching. After being without my OP for a week... it's firmly back on my wrist and I really am now reassessing the need for some of the other watches in my collection. I rarely wear them now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richmondmike View Post
    Just had confirmation from Lorne that number 144 (a Fibonacci number!), my late 40th birthday present, will be with me next week!
    Congrats!! (on the birthday and pending arrival from Lorne!). Meant to post back in reply to your earlier post; Really enjoyed your review on your website - some interesting articles in there that I enjoyed browsing too.

    Post back and drop me a PM with your (rough ie nearest city/town) location when the watch arrives and I'll add you to the owners map: https://marinechronometer.co.uk/inde...e-in-the-world

  40. #240
    Journeyman Richmondmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hull, UK
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Look forward to seeing your strap with the contrast stitching. After being without my OP for a week... it's firmly back on my wrist and I really am now reassessing the need for some of the other watches in my collection. I rarely wear them now.



    Congrats!! (on the birthday and pending arrival from Lorne!). Meant to post back in reply to your earlier post; Really enjoyed your review on your website - some interesting articles in there that I enjoyed browsing too.

    Post back and drop me a PM with your (rough ie nearest city/town) location when the watch arrives and I'll add you to the owners map: https://marinechronometer.co.uk/inde...e-in-the-world
    That map is great. I'm in Hull, and see there is one not far from me in Beverley. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it!

    Thanks for the kind words about my website too!
    Last edited by Richmondmike; 24th November 2018 at 14:17.

  41. #241
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Look forward to seeing your strap with the contrast stitching. After being without my OP for a week... it's firmly back on my wrist and I really am now reassessing the need for some of the other watches in my collection. I rarely wear them now.
    Will do Johnny, after watching the video you posted above I have even more respect for what goes into one of the straps. Impressive stuff, I like seeing what passionate people can achieve when they push things as far as their skills allow.

    Time for a public thanks for the loan of your OP, it was very generous and trusting

  42. #242
    Master huytonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    2,290
    I've developed an odd affliction when wearing mine, I occasionally find myself fondling the knurling on the case back and pushers and in a meeting this week took it off and started staring at the dial together with the fondling...unconsciously. I don't think Ive ever done this with another watch so be warned!
    Keith

  43. #243
    Journeyman Richmondmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hull, UK
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    I've developed an odd affliction when wearing mine, I occasionally find myself fondling the knurling on the case back and pushers and in a meeting this week took it off and started staring at the dial together with the fondling...unconsciously. I don't think Ive ever done this with another watch so be warned!
    Keith



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  44. #244
    Journeyman Richmondmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hull, UK
    Posts
    143
    Here it is: number 144 in all its glory. I relented on just having the bracelet and Lorne kindly fitted this Hirsch strap I found. I think the colour suits it. I remain in love with the watch.



    Nice touch: the watch was set to the correct time and date when it arrived. You don't even get that with quartz watches!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  45. #245
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmondmike View Post
    ... the watch was set to the correct time and date when it arrived. You don't even get that with quartz watches!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Considering I set the time on Friday and Royal Mail delivered it today, then either you've got a lot of power reserve or more likely Royal Mail shook it about a lot!

  46. #246
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Oundle UK
    Posts
    93
    Did you really set it with the chronograph seconds hand at 12 Lorne? Tsk!

  47. #247
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Oundle UK
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmondmike View Post
    Here it is: number 144 in all its glory. I relented on just having the bracelet and Lorne kindly fitted this Hirsch strap I found. I think the colour suits it. I remain in love with the watch.



    Nice touch: the watch was set to the correct time and date when it arrived. You don't even get that with quartz watches!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks great on the brown strap!

  48. #248
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post
    Did you really set it with the chronograph seconds hand at 12 Lorne? Tsk!
    Nope, I set the chronograph sweep at 7 seconds. Mike has clearly zero'd it, but then it is his watch. The golden brown strap really is very nice.

  49. #249
    Journeyman Richmondmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hull, UK
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Nope, I set the chronograph sweep at 7 seconds. Mike has clearly zero'd it, but then it is his watch. The golden brown strap really is very nice.
    No matter what you say, Lorne, a chronograph's second hand belongs pointing straight up at all times it's not chronographing

  50. #250
    Journeyman Richmondmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hull, UK
    Posts
    143
    Back to bracelet, which is brilliant.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •