closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Offshore Professional Engineer Chronograph owners amongst the ranks?

That second hand is quite mesmerising. Nice tune too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Thank you for the compliment and I’m sorry it made waiting harder

I bet you think the wait was worth it now, though...

Simon
    Yes it was very much worth the wait!

All good things come to those who wait....

Craftsman
    Great looking watch that is definitely on my list to own

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    That second hand is quite mesmerising. Nice tune too.
    That's why I wanted to do that video... The photos don't really do the second dial justice. It was the first thing really hit me on owning the watch.... That little propellor hand glides beautifully.

Tune is by the 126ers whomever they are. Offered royalty free to use by YouTube.

Nice video Johnny

Simon

Another detail shot taken via the super bright light of this heatwave! Over 30 degrees here today, 34 in the sun according to the car! Makes for great natural light for my macro shots on a shoestring (ie. £30 macro extention tubes off Amazon).

Craftsman
    That is probably THE best photo I have seen on here and there have been some cracking ones.
    I must stop looking at this thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That’s a beautiful picture Johnny

I just wish my eyes (even with the glasses) were that sharp!

I see your video is also on the website, very cool

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    That’s a beautiful picture Johnny

I just wish my eyes (even with the glasses) were that sharp!

I see your video is also on the website, very cool
    How's 134 doing in UAE?
    How you doing? Still EnJoYing the watch!

Craftsman
    Doing a fine job of making sure I am taking on enough electrolytes (cider) in the sun:

Craftsman
    How's 134 doing in UAE?
    How you doing? Still EnJoYing the watch!

Hi Mick

It performed faultlessly while I was away on a particularly tough work trip.

I had a couple of very positive comments on it from some expats out there.

I have worn the FE continually since I received it from Lorne.

It’s a fantastic watch and performs its function in a very stylish, but practical way. It’s also great value with a very comprehensive warranty.

I’m sure you are looking forward to 135 heading your way.

Cheers

Pete

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Doing a fine job of making sure I am taking on enough electrolytes (cider) in the sun:

#135 will be at Farnborough this week. No cider I’m afraid though

Good choice of th B1b in the picture

Hi Mick

It performed faultlessly while I was away on a particularly tough work trip.

I had a couple of very positive comments on it from some expats out there.

I have worn the FE continually since I received it from Lorne.

It’s a fantastic watch and performs its function in a very stylish, but practical way. It’s also great value with a very comprehensive warranty.

I’m sure you are looking forward to 135 heading your way.

Cheers

Pete
    Great to know it performed faultlessly and that you received positive comments.

Yeah can't wait to see what Lorne has done with the changes for 135 onwards.

I drove over to inspect the watch in the flesh today and to speak to Darius. My impression was extremely positive, the watch reminded me of the type of engineering finish that you see on some Aston Martins and Bentleys, maybe thats deliberate but it certainly works and makes it feel and look quite different from anything else that Ive seen and handled. The dial is the standout area, quite compelling and three dimensional. The bracelet was surprisingly light in weight (and better for it) and was far superior to the other low volume brands that source from China, I suspect but could be wrong that like the case this comes from Germany. Speaking of the case its very well finished and engineered, its hefty but it is a sports watch and many are when they get to 44mm. I didnt see the new strap but Darius seemed impressed by its quality and the pliability of the leather so just had a look on the older strap type and it suits it very well. The custom rotor significantly changes the look of the movement and really benefits from the crystal caseback.
    The other thing to consider is that you are very unlikely to see another one of these out in the wild, 130 units is a tiny number so you can rest assured on having something that will be as rare as hens teeth.
    Keith

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    I ..., the watch reminded me of the type of engineering finish that you see on some Aston Martins and Bentleys, maybe that's deliberate but it certainly works and makes it feel and look quite different from anything else that Ive seen and handled.....
    Keith

Pure luck I think, but possibly due to a deliberate lack of colour and trying to keep everything as subtle and understated as possible. It's my 'in-house' style that you'll see on future models and will hopefully become instantly recognisable.

Mind you, this is one of my favourite pictures of all time, along with the one of Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Steve McQueen in Le Mans, and of course the 'girl tennis bum' poster from the late 70's.

So perhaps there is some unintentional influence.

It's a great pic, not just the DB5 with its beautiful curves, lines and use of both shiny and sheen silver finishes, but the black and white image that has no pure white or black in it, and of course the complete confidence in which Sean Connery sits against the car in his 'it's just the way it is' style.
    Last edited by LorneG; 18th July 2018 at 14:42.

135 is on the Bench being built by Darius. So close now and I'm so excited

Craftsman
    With a nice sense of timing #134 is enjoying a long weekend in North Allerton North Yorkshire

Mick - I’m sure you will be very happy when the watch arrives

I’ve worn nothing else since mine arrived and am seriously thinking about offloading the majority of my collection less a couple of key items (PRS1/2/53)

Cheers Pete

With a nice sense of timing #134 is enjoying a long weekend in North Allerton North Yorkshire

Mick - I’m sure you will be very happy when the watch arrives

I’ve worn nothing else since mine arrived and am seriously thinking about offloading the majority of my collection less a couple of key items (PRS1/2/53)

Cheers Pete
    EnJoY wearing it in Gods own country.

I am patient

Apprentice
    Hello chaps, I just signed up to join the ranks of Off-Prof owners.

After chatting with Lorne on and off for nearly 2 years I finally became the proud owner of No 127 back in early May and I love it. It is my first "proper" watch and after considering various "Brands" I kept coming back to it after stumbling across Lornes original web site. The aesthetics of the watch really work for me and I love the ethos behind it.
    https://thumbsnap.com/wk9T1BKn

I was so pleased with it, I treated it to a trip to the Indy 500!
    https://thumbsnap.com/ErwBwtGO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dick Spanner; 25th July 2018 at 15:39.

Welcome to the club... and the forum of course!

I'm the same... barely wear anything else now. I'm constantly surprised at how comfortably it wears - the strap and clasp are a perfect fit for me.

No 83 checking in now...

Alive and well in rural East Northants if missing from the map. Harrumph

Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post

I'll drop a flag in for any of you that are missing.... "Oundle" town centre do ok for you?

Apprentice
    Hello Pupp, it seems we are quite local as I'm also in East Northamptonshire. JohnnyE, if you could stuck a flag on Rushden for me I'd be obliged and thanks for the welcome.

I will swap to the bracelet at some point, just for a change and again because it is so well designed and made. Those new Temu straps do look great too....

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Spanner View Post
    JohnnyE, if you could stuck a flag on Rushden for me I'd be obliged and thanks for the welcome.

I will swap to the bracelet at some point, just for a change and again because it is so well designed and made. Those new Temu straps do look great too....
    Flag dropped into Rushden for you there

Be careful trying to DIY swop to the bracelet. The end links are made to the smallest of tolerances - and there's no wiggle room like what I've experienced before. I've tried in vain to swop to the bracelet myself (even after buying proper springbar pliers that compress both sides of the springbar at once). Managed to mangle a springbar in the process today and abandoned the attempt before scratching the polished lugs (i had paper tape in place... but if i'd persisted, I'm sure i'd have marked the watch).

Hi Johnny can you add a flag to the map "Amble, Northumberland." Looks like I'm the first there.

Dropped a flag on Oundle - let me know if thats not right.

Johnny you might want to tweek the analytics for search hits. I couldn't hit Marine Chronometers IMG_6045.JPG

Yeah... That phrase is going to be like that for some time until the old site closes down

Try searching for the new company name, 'marine chronometer company' and you'll find it all over page 1.

Oundle

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Dropped a flag on Oundle - let me know if thats not right.
    Spot on, thank you. Obviously I am not exactly there but it's close enough ;)

Be careful trying to DIY swop to the bracelet. The end links are made to the smallest of tolerances - and there's no wiggle room like what I've experienced before. I've tried in vain to swop to the bracelet myself (even after buying proper springbar pliers that compress both sides of the springbar at once). Managed to mangle a springbar in the process today and abandoned the attempt before scratching the polished lugs (i had paper tape in place... but if i'd persisted, I'm sure i'd have marked the watch).

First time I tried the bracelet, I had the same problem and was getting proper grumpy with it (expensive pliers and Burgeon springbar tool both failing.... then it dawned, the springbars used with the strap were simply a gnat's too long to compress and wriggle in with the bracelet blocks due to the increased rigidity - sourced a set maybe a mm or 2 shorter and problem solved (entirely secure).

I am awaiting an auburn (brown) Leonardo to try but would also like a teju in due course if I can get John to answer his emails :(

Lorne - is the new butterfly strap clasp available as a spare please?

Craftsman
    First time I tried the bracelet, I had the same problem and was getting proper grumpy with it (expensive pliers and Burgeon springbar tool both failing.... then it dawned, the springbars used with the strap were simply a gnat's too long to compress and wriggle in with the bracelet blocks due to the increased rigidity - sourced a set maybe a mm or 2 shorter and problem solved (entirely secure).

I am awaiting an auburn (brown) Leonardo to try but would also like a teju in due course if I can get John to answer his emails :(

Lorne - is the new butterfly strap clasp available as a spare please?
    John at Dangerous9 is always in demand, so answering emails can take a while. The good thing is that he'll make and ship a Field Engineer teju strap within 30 days instead of his normal 11 to 12 week waiting time. It's a direct order with John as they're quite expensive and I don't see the point in putting myself (and a mark-up) in the middle. Butterfly clasp for free if you email me your current address. lorne@marinechronometer.co.uk

Reading the comments I see some people have picked up on the fine tolerances in bracelet to case connection. Sorry about that, but I like a nice tight fit instead of a loose one. You'll discover just how tight the fit can be if you put a new Hirsch curved end strap on. I eased back a little on the tightness with my new straps to stop Darius complaining with his, 'stupid, buggery, nearly impossible to get the straps on', line. Spring bars should be 1.8 mm diameter instead of the standard 1.5 mm.

How's the monster turbo TVR running?
    Last edited by LorneG; 26th July 2018 at 09:22.

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    John at Dangerous9 is always in demand, so answering emails can take a while. The good thing is that he'll make and ship a Field Engineer teju strap within 30 days instead of his normal 11 to 12 week waiting time. It's a direct order with John as they're quite expensive and I don't see the point in putting myself (and a mark-up) in the middle. Butterfly clasp for free if you email me your current address. lorne@marinechronometer.co.uk

Reading the comments I see some people have picked up on the fine tolerances in bracelet to case connection. Sorry about that, but I like a nice tight fit instead of a loose one. You'll discover just how tight the fit can be if you put a new Hirsch curved end strap on. I eased back a little on the tightness with my new straps to stop Darius complaining with his, 'stupid, buggery, nearly impossible to get the straps on', line. Spring bars should be 1.8 mm diameter instead of the standard 1.5 mm.

How's the monster turbo TVR running?
    Evening Lorne - clasp appreciated muchly; thank you. Will persevere on strap as looks great, so hopefully John will pick up on my query.

Tiv is 'resting' this year; but will be back with more robust head sealing and a chassis made of decent tube. Mere teething pains :)

Craftsman
    Johnny can you drop a flag on Witney Oxfordshire too please :)

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Johnny can you drop a flag on Witney Oxfordshire too please :)
    Done

I eased back a little on the tightness with my new straps to stop Darius complaining with his, 'stupid, buggery, nearly impossible to get the straps on', line. Spring bars should be 1.8 mm diameter instead of the standard 1.5 mm.
    Funny enough thats exactly what he said to me when I saw him a couple of weeks ago....

Can you drop a flag on Amble by the Sea Johnny please.

Can you drop a flag on Amble by the Sea Johnny please.

Done

Done
    Cheers

Well 135 has landed
    What an absolutely awesome watch. Stunning design and the dial cannot be captured on camera. The light plays with it, changing colour with the slightest of twists of the wrist. The most prominent change is to the rotor, with black infilled engraving, field engineer has gone off the rotor, but still on the case back. My old iPhone 5 cannot do it justice, but you can see it on the website.
    The bracelet is superb and the leather watch case is a lovely touch.
    This 135 Offshore Professional Field Engineer is a keeper.

IMG_6068.JPG

I have to say that the "new" leather strap, is not up to the quality of the rest of the package. The crocodile finish is nice, the butterfly closure is an interesting feature, never had one in my 61 years.
    But the fit of the strap to the watch is poor, the fit to the wrist is not what I would have expected. The watch looks lovely on a strap, just not this one.IMG_6085.JPG
    I have a 7.5" wrist, not exactly small, this is on the last/first hole. It's not a good look in my honest opinion.
    But I will keep wearing it, till we can sort out a solution.

I have to say that the "new" leather strap, is not up to the quality of the rest of the package. The crocodile finish is nice, the butterfly closure is an interesting feature, never had one in my 61 years.
    But the fit of the strap to the watch is poor, the fit to the wrist is not what I would have expected. The watch looks lovely on a strap, just not this one.IMG_6085.JPG
    I have a 7.5" wrist, not exactly small, this is on the last/first hole. It's not a good look in my honest opinion.

That's certainly not typical in my experience - there is quite a lot of spring in the strap (at least the Hirsch based versions if that's still what's supplied), but I have always really liked the way the strap curves and fits. Have just changed to a brown Leonardo after seeing pics earlier in this thread, and that does exactly the same as the original did - fits closely and snug with a lovely progressive curved form to the new style clasp.

I'm sure Lorne will have some ideas and suggestions when he sees this, or better still if you contact him directly.

Hi
    Yes I'm in touch with Lorne, he's not happy with the "new" strap either.
    He is working out the next moves.
    I'm highly delighted with the watch and package and indeed Lorne, just not the leather strap. I've nothing against leather per-say as I have a "Steveo" strap and a cheap amazon leather one. They fit lovely and wear well.

Craftsman

I fully agree and appreciate the really good and honest feedback; the first few production straps are simply not up to the fit, finish and standard of the prototypes, and are not good enough for the Field Engineer.

After much deliberation, I've cancelled the production run of these straps and am switching to dangerous9 Teju straps as standard fit. The current chronograph builds are having temporary Hirsch straps fitted to them whilst John in Munich makes the Teju ones. John has a Field Engineer case and clasp jig that he's used for a string of custom straps, all of which have been completely perfect and absolutely beautiful.

I had hoped the saddle leather and crocodile straps would be perfect, but as is the way sometimes, production reality has fallen short of expectation. Good engineering always has a fall-back option though and luckily I know the dangerous9 option achieves the near perfection that is required.

Edit: black super matt outer teju finish and navy blue teju lining on the replacement straps and as the new standard fit. Will figure out pricing on the new standard fit in due course, but key thing is to get the problem corrected and ensure I don't cheese off any customers!
    Last edited by LorneG; 29th July 2018 at 10:39.

I fully agree and appreciate the really good and honest feedback; the first few production straps are simply not up to the fit, finish and standard of the prototypes, and are not good enough for the Field Engineer.

After much deliberation, I've cancelled the production run of these straps and am switching to dangerous9 Teju straps as standard fit. The current chronograph builds are having temporary Hirsch straps fitted to them whilst John in Munich makes the Teju ones. John has a Field Engineer case and clasp jig that he's used for a string of custom straps, all of which have been completely perfect and absolutely beautiful.

I had hoped the saddle leather and crocodile straps would be perfect, but as is the way sometimes, production reality has fallen short of expectation. Good engineering always has a fall-back option though and luckily I know the dangerous9 option achieves the near perfection that is required.

Edit: black super matt outer teju finish and navy blue teju lining on the replacement straps and as the new standard fit. Will figure out pricing on the new standard fit in due course, but key thing is to get the problem corrected and ensure I don't cheese off any customers!

The D9 Teju straps look awesome - definitely in the queue when they come on stream :)

Lorne
    Thanks for that, I'm certainly not cheesed off as you had been totally honest and upfront with the situation about the changes, I knew about the black on the rotor and the new proposed straps. I was happy with this, as I'm happy with the proposal as a solution too.

Craftsman
    Lorne
    Thanks for that, I'm certainly not cheesed off as you had been totally honest and upfront with the situation about the changes, I knew about the black on the rotor and the new proposed straps. I was happy with this, as I'm happy with the proposal as a solution too.

I know you're not cheesed off Michael. At the moment the only person who appears to be is myself!

Craftsman
    If any owners are passing through Leeds on a work day and would like me to buy them a coffee, I would love to see this watch in the flesh. PM me if that's possible. I have checked the owners' map and there don't seem to be any nearby but thought it was worth a try.
    Cheers

Last edited by ged; 29th July 2018 at 21:07.

Craftsman
    Are Hirsch replacing that model (leonardo?). Don't seem to be many waterproof curved end straps around.

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    If any owners are passing through Leeds on a work day and would like me to buy them a coffee, I would love to see this watch in the flesh. PM me if that's possible. I have checked the owners' map and there don't seem to be anyone nearby but thought it was worth a try.
    Cheers

Sorry, like coffee but not near Leeds... does this help?

https://thumbsnap.com/f/2I68593o

Craftsman
    Sorry, like coffee but not near Leeds... does this help?

https://thumbsnap.com/f/2I68593o
    Thanks. I do love the look of it in photos and have followed it for a good while but I have small wrists and I would love to see how it works for me.