closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Any Offshore Professional Engineer Chronograph owners amongst the ranks?

Well.. what do we think of this then?....

I've been using a "Watch Steward" on my SKX007 for ages and just realised today that the lug size is the same. Most comfortable strap EVER with its elastic webbing. I hate the bulk of NATOs and this solves that. Downside? Not any more secure than a standard strap but you DO get to still enjoy that display case back.

You can barely tell you're wearing the watch with this one. The textured strap material looks great against the knurling!

Last edited by JohnnyE; 9th May 2019 at 11:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Great choice..look forward to the pictures of it with the Roman bezel..
    The dangerous9 strap really complements the watch..

GTG.. I'm in! I wonder how many Offshore Professionals you could get in one photo
    I’m in for a GTG. I’ve not had the pleasure of meeting Lorne in person yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Richmondmike View Post
    I’m in for a GTG. I’ve not had the pleasure of meeting Lorne in person yet.

I'm definitely in for a GTG as there are lots of people I really enjoyed chatting about watches with that I would really like to meet. And it's a brilliant way of figuring out how the Marine Chronometer Company can actually continue to make watches that people really like. Even small things, like logo size, floating or screw down crown, nato/rubber straps etc.

As you might have been able to tell from my appearance in a couple of my last news items, https://marinechronometer.co.uk/index.php/news, I'm currently getting though a bit of what happens to most middle-aged men at some stage (not mid-aged crisis, but things not being quite as jump-back-up and get-back-on-it as you would like). Not overly sure how long this will last, but hopefully not for too long.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Well.. what do we think of this then?....
    That looks pretty good, I would be tempted to try it myself but not sure I dare take the strap off again, only just got over the trauma of refitting it last time!

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    That looks pretty good, I would be tempted to try it myself but not sure I dare take the strap off again, only just got over the trauma of refitting it last time!
    😂 Oh dear... I've that to look forward to then! It came off easily enough but these things rarely go back as smoothly.

At last I’ve joined the club and am proud owner of no 154. I had the pleasure of meeting Lorne a few weeks ago when I placed the order but unfortunately am overseas this week so had to send the long suffering Mrs Draft to Lorne’s salubrious corner of SW London to pick it up. Now I have to wait 36 hours until I get to handle and wear it- have to say I’m excited!

Here’s a quick pic, revealing that mine has a unique feature that no other FEs currently have...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Roman numerals?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Roman numerals?
    That’s one of the standard options although I think a minority choice.

Look more closely...

The middle sub dial is different

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    The middle sub dial is different

Don’t think so Mick.

You know I divide my life between two timezones an hour apart... 😉

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Don’t think so Mick.

You know I divide my life between two timezones an hour apart... 
    Please please say the bezel rotates? Or is it fixed to your second time zone?

I believe that's the first time I've ever noticed 8 rendered as "IIX". (Apologies if that's already been mentioned on every page of this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Please please say the bezel rotates? Or is it fixed to your second time zone?
    The latter!

If I’m wearing a normal 3-hander I always keep it set to GMT/BST. If it has a rotating dive type bezel I keep the bezel on 11 o’clock. Obviously if I’m wearing something with a GMT hand then that shows CET/CEST.

So Lorne kindly pandered to my whim and after application of heat and gentle persuasion his watchmaker has fixed my bezel accordingly.

Now I’m wondering whether to have the same done to my Explorer 2...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I believe that's the first time I've ever noticed 8 rendered as "IIX". (Apologies if that's already been mentioned on every page of this thread)
    I believe Lorne has a firm (and highly persuasive) view on this...

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann;5118309

Here’s a quick pic, revealing that mine has[B
    a unique feature that no other FEs currently have.[/B]..
    You've reset your chrono hand to zero while the rest of us leave it at 7-8 minutes to avoid setting Lorne off

Drop me a PM with your nearest town/city and I'll add you to the owners map: https://marinechronometer.co.uk/inde...e-in-the-world

Don’t think so Mick.

You know I divide my life between two timezones an hour apart...
    I noticed the 1 at 12 but it didn’t click,the hands on the middle sub dial are covering some big markers ,so I thought there was less.
    Think I actually prefer that bezel

Craftsman
    I believe Lorne has a firm (and highly persuasive) view on this...
    I'm not sure if it's highly persuasive or not, but VIII has too much vertical stuff that means it isn't an 'instant read' for the brain. I know the Romans used it for 8, but given a couple of hundred more years I think they might have adopted IIX as altogether better. Anyway, it's a unique feature that no one else appears to have adopted.

Any Offshore Professional Engineer Chronograph owners amongst the ranks?

If anyone tells me I can’t have a certain thing in a watch it just makes me want it more. Nothing worse than a watch snob!

Still my first choice every weekend...

I blame Lorne for spoiling my watch hobby. There is simply no point in buying 90 percent of the other watches out there now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The latter!

If I’m wearing a normal 3-hander I always keep it set to GMT/BST. If it has a rotating dive type bezel I keep the bezel on 11 o’clock. Obviously if I’m wearing something with a GMT hand then that shows CET/CEST.

So Lorne kindly pandered to my whim and after application of heat and gentle persuasion his watchmaker has fixed my bezel accordingly.

Now I’m wondering whether to have the same done to my Explorer 2...
    Do it - the Exp 2 always needed a rotating bezel, so your mod would at least introduce a third time zone possibility.

I would have ordered one of Lorne's if it had a rotating bezel of any description.

No 154 on one of its islands- only one on Malta (so far!)

No 154 on my other Island...

That is very sad to hear

Master
    That’s so sad. At least he left his legacy behind in his wonderful watches.
    RIP Lorne.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Oh that is shocking to hear, Lorne was a great guy. I was lucky to speak to him on the phone a few times and bought one of his fantastic watches early this year as a result. A gifted and passionate engineer.

For someone I never met, this hits hard. RIP Lorne.

I’m shocked and saddened to read this. I had the privilege of meeting Lorne at his home earlier this year when I ordered my Offshore Professional, which I love and was wearing this weekend. An accomplished yet humble gentleman. Condolences to his family.

Oh my god, that's terrible news. RIP Lorne :(

Sorry it’s taken me a while to find the words but felt I should pass on the news. May Lorne rest in peace and my condolences and thoughts are with his family. Few even knew he was ill. I will think of him whenever I wear his watch, which remains one of the most important pieces in my collection.

Craftsman
    Absolutely shocked..Met Lorne in January, when collecting my watch.
    A real gentleman with a passion for getting it right..

I'll wear the watch in memory

Craftsman
    Very sad indeed.

Not many of us can say we went out and built a watch.

Craftsman
    That is really sad. I only knew Lorne through his posts on here, which I really enjoyed. I hope to see a large number of his watches on this coming Friday thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    That is really sad. I only knew Lorne through his posts on here, which I really enjoyed. I hope to see a large number of his watches on this coming Friday thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Mine's staying on for the week. It’ll definitely be on the Friday thread.

Craftsman
    This is very sad news indeed, my thoughts are with Lorne’s family at this time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad this was posted as I've just seen it on LI.

Can't quite believe a guy so full of life has gone. His story is incredible, the watches being, as well we know, extremely well made and thought out, but only part of his engineering prowess and interest.

Keep your OSP's well good people, and rest in peace Lorne.

I had a few messages with Lorne ,proper decent bloke ,really shocked

Awful to learn this today. Clever, warm, and amusing guy who will be missed by many.
    Thoughts with his nearest and dearest.

Went to edit my earlier post to correct a typo but it got deleted.

We are lucky to have known Lorne. A true gentleman.

Only last week, he emailed me with instructions on what to do regarding his website. As ever, joking and laughing, remarking on the irony of being home with days to go... And sitting there doing his tax!

He had plans for more models. A GMT travellers watch in the same unmistakable style. Designed with minute detail all thought out, all based on his own travelling needs as an offshore/sub sea engineer.

I'll keep my OP Field Engineer with pride. Much more than just a watch. A life story. One for the Friday thread as said above.

Craftsman
    Respect is due and rest in peace. A legacy to leave for all who enjoy horology.

This is very sad news, my thoughts are with his nearest and dearest.
    There is something inherently commendable and coolly competent about someone who feels there isn't a watch that meets his design brief, so he simply gets on with getting one made, and does so with such aplomb.
    RIP Lorne

Dave

Master
    Very sad news. I never met or spoke to him but had a huge amount of respect for what he achieved and for his technical knowledge. RIP Lorne.

I will mirror the comments already made, Lorne was a real gent when dealing with him before, when collecting the watch and afterwards. I knew that he wasn't a well man but he seemed quite happy with his lot and didnt complain when I met him.
    A very great shame and loss and proves again that we should all live our lives to the full.
    Keith

Any Offshore Professional Engineer Chronograph owners amongst the ranks?

I’m totally shocked and deeply saddened by this news. During the process of acquiring Field Engineer #131 I had many exchanges with Lorne but never managed to actually meet him (despite multiple invitations from him to sample ‘the best coffee in London’!)

As the message from his family indicated, I like others had no idea he was unwell.

My heart goes out to his family and friends - they have lost a gentleman and a man of extraordinary talent and vision.

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 13th September 2019 at 07:04.

Truly sad to hear - I’ve been following this thread and Lorne’s watchmaking progress. He came across as a true enthusiast. Rest In Peace.

Master
    In memory of a real gentleman, today I'm wearing Field Engineer No.67 bought personally from Lorne at his home on 08th August 2014, it looks as good today as it did then.
    We shared many an email afterwards and he even tried to help me find work, bless him.
    His passion for his family, watches, cars, life and coffee was abundant he was a genuinely lovely person and will be missed by many.
    I, like many had no idea Lorne was poorly.
    RIP Lorne and condolences to your family

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How exceptionally sad. I didnt know Lorne personally but always enjoyed reading about his endeavours. My condolences to all who knew him.

Grand Master
    terrible news, always admired his creations and mean to try one some day. rip.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Apprentice

Lorne's passing

I just was informed of Lorne's passing last night. I'm so so sad to hear this news! I knew that he was battling cancer, but I had no idea that he was so critical. I had just exchanged e-mails and shipped him a couple of straps at the end of August! Andrea and I are both so distressed. He was a good man and I really enjoyed working and chatting with him over the past nearly 2 years. I had not had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but we had exchanged many kind e-mails over these years and I'm very sad to think that our correspondence and collaboration have come to an end.

My heart goes out to his family and also his watch world family and customers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous9 View Post
    I just was informed of Lorne's passing last night. I'm so so sad to hear this news! I knew that he was battling cancer, but I had no idea that he was so critical. I had just exchanged e-mails and shipped him a couple of straps at the end of August! Andrea and I are both so distressed. He was a good man and I really enjoyed working and chatting with him over the past nearly 2 years. I had not had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but we had exchanged many kind e-mails over these years and I'm very sad to think that our correspondence and collaboration have come to an end.

My heart goes out to his family and also his watch world family and customers as well.
    Lovely to hear from you John - I sent you a message on Instagram when the news broke, but messaging on Instagram is a bit useless it would seem, unless you are following each other.

It looks like #160 was Lorne's last serial number to get dispatched to a customer.

I'm waiting to hear what Wendy wants to do regarding the website, but if you need to chat to her, just send an email to Lorne's address. She's picking them up ok

Oh... and thanks for the WONDERFUL Teju straps that a lucky few of us are enjoying. They are a credit to you.

Last edited by JohnnyE; 15th October 2019 at 00:59.

I can only echo Johnny's comments, it's nice to hear from you John. Your straps are indeed fantastically constructed things. You made a contrast stitching version for my FE which Lorne was particularly pleased with as am I.

Like many of Lornes customers, I was completely unaware that he was ill. I only bought my FE in February and he seemed full of life and enthusiasm in the few chats I had with him. He was one of those rare 'do'ers' who follows his passions and that is infectious. It must be tough for Wendy to decide what is best for the company Lorne created.

My strap experimentation rolls on..... this time, a GasGasBones SPV2. Its my 1st strap from Carl and its a great bit of kit.

Some terrible night time phone pictures:

The case is held similar to a Bund strap - on a sewn in pair of springbars. I went for ths SPV2 as it only has one loop of strap under the case. Keeps the thick case as close to the wrist as possible.

Couldn't help myself.... OP#130. I hope Lorne would have approved, although his firm favourite with these was the curved end leather.

While I'm here - just to say, #160 was the last one made.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 31st January 2020 at 23:31.