closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kuala Lumpur and Singapore must do's

Kuala Lumpur and Singapore must do's

I know there are plenty of well travelled member on here so I am hoping for some advice. We are heading away in a few weeks and our trip will involve a 24hr stop in Kuala Lumpur and 3 days in Singapore. As we are on a tight schedule, especially in KL, can anyone offer any must do's for either city?

We are pretty open to anything so any ideas are welcome.

I I look forward to your replies, thanks in advance.

I'll kick off with a stroll and a bite to eat on Jalan Alor in KL. Bit of a tourist trap but a nice way to spend a couple of hours in the evening nonetheless.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...rsekutuan.html

Also take the metro to Kampung Baru and have a wander.

https://kualalumpur-travel.info/plac...e-kampung-baru
    Last edited by Tony; 18th September 2016 at 11:22.

Take a taxi to the monkey temple just outside KL. In Singapore go to one of the skyscraper bars at night.

A little Singapore River cruise is a nice way to get your bearings when you arrive.

Singapore Zoo and Sentosa Island are nice places to roam.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The four floors of whores in singers, or as the tourists know it orchard towers.

mike

I thought that a walk through Chinatown was an amusing and interesting experience when I was out there a few years back, and if you like that kind of thing the Petronas Towers are quite spectacular at night.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    The four floors of whores in singers, or as the tourists know it orchard towers.

mike
    We used to call it Alton towers sometimes because it's good for a ride. The cowboy bar on the top floor has some interesting "girls"

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    you can book a meal in the revolving restaurant in the kl tower ,we enjoyed it
    singapore lot to see around the bay,marina sands,gardens by the bay nice at night,if you like a drink raffles hotel where the singapore sling was invented
    lots of bars aroumd clarke quay ,very lively at weekends,bands etc music played outside on speakers
    i enjoyed the night safari also
    if youre looking for a bit of company then yes orchard towers is the place ,in kl try beach club or thai club and bistro

Craftsman
    We've just recently returned from a few weeks in Singapore and KL.

For KL, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the Batu Caves (not known as monkey temple!) are worth visiting and are accessible directly by MRT. Need no more than 90 minutes there, and train takes about 25 mins from Sentral.

The Traders hotel sky bar offers great views of the Towers directly across the park, and drinks are very reasonably priced - in fact everything in Malaysia is relatively cheap. Highly recommend Quivo restaurant, food is excellent even if the setting isn't particularly impressive. The Lemon Garden restaurant at the Shangri-La in KL does a great dinner buffet, again at a very good price and children are half price. Guessing that you've already arranged accommodation but if not then the suites at the Shangri-La are very luxurious and come with access to the Horizon Club.

For Singapore, the Gardens by the Bay are mostly free to walk around and are stunning - especially the Cloud Forest exhibition/ attraction that you'll need to pay for, but is well worth it. The Night Safari is also very good, and a chance to see animals when they are at their most active at night. MRT to Ang Mo Kio and then a bus takes you straight there. Be sure not to leave too late though, as the last train back from Ang Mo Kio is at about 11:30...

A river cruise is also a must do, and a perfect way to get a different perspective on all of the landmarks.

Lots more to see and do in both cities/ countries but those would top my list if visiting for a few days. Singapore is exceptionally expensive now, a coffee is around double the cost of what you'd pay in central London and alcohol is very expensive as well.
    Last edited by BaBa; 18th September 2016 at 21:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    We used to call it Alton towers sometimes because it's good for a ride. The cowboy bar on the top floor has some interesting "girls"

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Yup, you have to go there so you can tell the boys back home you've been. They're going to assume you went anyway, so you might as well go.

Rob.

Changi Prison, Singapore. My uncle and grand father where taken by the Japanese so it was a must see for me. It's a tough few hours.

Singapore

Four floors
    Lucky plaza,watches
    China town peoples park plaza watches
    jurong bird park
    Zoo ,night safari
    Big wheel thingy
    Senatosa theme park
    Last edited by Rolthai32; 20th September 2016 at 02:58.

Craftsman
    Traders Sky Bar is pretty cool. Book a table with a view of the Petronas Towers in KL.

Mandarin Oriental in KL is pretty good too. Lai Po Heen restaurant in the hotel is incredible.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but both cities are superb (and cheap) 'street food' destinations.

They're endlessly exciting if you're prepared to wander around and dive in.

I can't give any particular recommendations but there's plenty of reading out there if you're interested.

I've had meals in both cities that I still remember vividly twenty-odd years later, both for the taste and the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but both cities are superb (and cheap) 'street food' destinations.

They're endlessly exciting if you're prepared to wander around and dive in.

I can't give any particular recommendations but there's plenty of reading out there if you're interested.

I've had meals in both cities that I still remember vividly twenty-odd years later, both for the taste and the experience.
    In Singapore, Lau Pa Sat, Maxwell Road Food Centre or Old Airport Road Food Centre are my usual haunts for street "hawker" food. Just pick the stalls with long queues and you can't go wrong. Recently, the Michelin Guide was launched in Singapore and there are 2 street food stalls that earned a Michelin star each! One of which is a soya sauce chicken rich which is reputedly the cheapest Michelin star meal in the world for approx £1.1 for dish, although you have to be prepared to wait up till 3 hours for your food!